Olympics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DestinyGuy678
What countries do you think will win each sport/event?

I see america coming out on top in a majority of the track events especially the 400

DestinyGuy678
Tyson Gay is out of the 200 sad

jjDOp3M0nA4

jaden101
doesn't matter...Usain Bolt will win the 100 and 200

DestinyGuy678
Originally posted by jaden101
doesn't matter...Usain Bolt will win the 100 and 200 TYson will take him out if he has a good start

Bicnarok

DestinyGuy678
I thought china was giving gas masks athletes could wear when theyre not competing

Bicnarok
Originally posted by DestinyGuy678
I thought china was giving gas masks athletes could wear when theyre not competing

I think its actually when they are competing which is the problem, you try running a marathon in thick pollution smog.

I heard a report on the radio today, someone who was there reported live that it felt like he was walking round with a constant weight on his chest, that expanding the chest when breathing actually hurt, that climbing steps was a major effort & other such smog related lack of air problems.

Sod that eek! !!!

DestinyGuy678
Originally posted by Bicnarok
I think its actually when they are competing which is the problem, you try running a marathon in thick pollution smog.

I heard a report on the radio today, someone who was there reported live that it felt like he was walking round with a constant weight on his chest, that expanding the chest when breathing actually hurt, that climbing steps was a major effort & other such smog related lack of air problems.

Sod that eek! !!! I think that mightve been a slight exagertation...but I understand what you mean records are gonna be hard to set, I was looking forward to a new 400 hurdle record....well actually couldnt they hold a lot of the events indoors

Bicnarok
exaggeration? Ive done a bit of running in my time mostly 10 KM cross country. And running in them sort of conditions is very uncomfortable.

DigiMark007
Running in general is subject to wild fluctuations based on conditions in either the weather or the track/course (depending on whether it's a track event or a CC/marathon thing).

I don't know why they let China host it anyway. The people were right to protest. Human rights violations, horrible air, and they're banning a bunch of internet-media resources that most civilized nations would be using in force, effectively cutting off a large portion of their media attention.

I couldn't care less. And I usually do. A shame, really. Though I'm rooting for Michael Phelps to win 8+ Golds to break the record.

DestinyGuy678
exaggeration? Ive done a bit of running in my time mostly 10 KM cross country. And running in them sort of conditions is very uncomfortable. me too, I know it effects performance, but they were tlaking about ris kfactors, Im not sure they could develop serious diseases i ntheir stay

DestinyGuy678
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Running in general is subject to wild fluctuations based on conditions in either the weather or the track/course (depending on whether it's a track event or a CC/marathon thing).

I don't know why they let China host it anyway. The people were right to protest. Human rights violations, horrible air, and they're banning a bunch of internet-media resources that most civilized nations would be using in force, effectively cutting off a large portion of their media attention.

I couldn't care less. And I usually do. A shame, really. Though I'm rooting for Michael Phelps to win 8+ Golds to break the record. its really all about the runner too, I know when it rains I run my best

and china is one of the leading countries in the world right now even with its bad conditions

ragesRemorse
im pulling for uzbekistan

DigiMark007
its really all about the runner too, I know when it rains I run my best

and china is one of the leading countries in the world right now even with its bad conditions

There's more deserving leading countries. Having them host is a joke to what the Olympics are supposed to stand for.

And I run better as it gets colder, so I know the feeling.

DestinyGuy678
Originally posted by DigiMark007
There's more deserving leading countries. Having them host is a joke to what the Olympics are supposed to stand for.

And I run better as it gets colder, so I know the feeling. havent most of the leading countries hosted it already?

DestinyGuy678
china did possibly the best opening ceremony yet

Quiero Mota
Agreed, that opening ceremony was pretty dope. I like the several hundred Chinese synchronized dancers.

-----

Why does the US seemingly without fail, almost always win the medal count? I mean China and India both have well over a billion people, yet the fattest nation on earth does so damn good in a sporting event.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Agreed, that opening ceremony was pretty dope. I like the several hundred Chinese synchronized dancers.

-----

Why does the US seemingly without fail, almost always win the medal count? I mean China and India both have well over a billion people, yet the fattest nation on earth does so damn good in a sporting event.

Cause you have excellent sports programs in your schools and colleges. And still a good 300 000 people.

Oh. And lots of negros no expression

Quiero Mota
A billion is still a lot more.

Bardock42
A billion is still a lot more.

Yes, I was giving reasons, why I think the US still fares better, didn't I?

Dr. Leg Kick
im cheering for Armenia. hopefully we do well.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yes, I was giving reasons, why I think the US still fares better, didn't I?

You did, but American college sports really don't matter. There's no football in the Olympics (obviously) and the US basketball team sucks because they're pros who play half-ass to prevent getting an injury because they're playing for free. Not many universities have intercollegiate Taekwondo, weightlifting, waterpolo or rifle shooting. The US is number 3 in world pop. but the difference between it and number 2, India, is massive. But India sucks in the Olympics.....

Bardock42
You did, but American college sports really don't matter. There's no football in the Olympics (obviously) and the US basketball team sucks because they're pros who play half-ass to prevent getting an injury because they're playing for free. Not many universities have intercollegiate Taekwondo, weightlifting, waterpolo or rifle shooting. The US is number 3 in world pop. but the difference between it and number 2, India, is massive. But India sucks in the Olympics..... I do think that the college and schools take a big part in it though. Then you are a country that really likes it's sports too, and you are relatively free. It does make sense, is still quite good though.

DestinyGuy678
The US swept fencing and michael phelps just broke the olympic record in the first heat

DestinyGuy678
US Redeem team crushed yao's china

Barker
Hoff. Facepalm.jpg

Dang.

BruceSkywalker
Only time I'm patriotic. GO USA. Bring home the gold.

DestinyGuy678
so far the US is leading the medal count

Barker
Relay. I came buckets.

colle1986
china is the best.............

forumcrew
so far the US is leading the medal count

China has the most medals and is dominating in golds.

celestialdemon
That 400m relay in swimming was awesome! I loved it!

Quiero Mota
US Redeem team crushed yao's china

King James > Chairman Yao

DestinyGuy678
King James > Chairman Yao he knocked him over too, they couldnt handle all of them. THey might be perfect haha

DestinyGuy678
Originally posted by forumcrew
China has the most medals and is dominating in golds.

china has the most golds, but right now US has the most medals thanks to swimming, and more golds are coming from womens tennis, womens volleyball, men and womens basket ball, and track

Bicnarok
I just watched some boring horse riding, what the hells this doing at the Olympics, not really a sport is it apart for the horses input.

Might as well put chess in it as well.

DestinyGuy678
I just watched some boring horse riding, what the hells this doing at the Olympics, not really a sport is it apart for the horses input.

Might as well put chess in it as well. it takes skill to control the hourses, the rider IM pretty sure has to be in pretty good shappe too not to weight down the horse, it does require athletic skill

BruceSkywalker

Thats been part of the Olympics for years. I don't watch that part of the games

Outbound
china has the most golds, but right now US has the most medals thanks to swimming, and more golds are coming from womens tennis, womens volleyball, men and womens basket ball, and track

The US technically wins the medal count if they have 50 medals and China have 40 medals, but if the US only has 50 bronze and China has 40 gold, it doesnt mean shit who has the most.
Currently Australia is 6th with
5 4 7 Total 16
Korea is 3rd
6 7 3 Total 16

If we get another gold, we'll still be under Korea even though we have more medals.

On topic - China is on fire, everytime I check the count, they've earned another 5 or so gold. Hate to think what they'd be on if they had a better swimming team.

BruceSkywalker
Team USA won. Its fun knowing what happens before you watch it.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

I don't know how that could possibly be fun.

brainchild81
Is there judo during the summer olympics?

botankus

I have the Athens 2004 PS2 game, and the equestrian event is hard as hell compared to the other ones. I wish they'd get rid of it, too.

Myth

I woke up at 5am to watch it. stick out tongue

Brainchild- Yes, Judo is in the Olympics. I want them to add MMA. That would be awesome.

Dr. Leg Kick
Ara Abrahamian won that match. I gotta agree with his coach, too much politics involved in the Olympics.

Originally posted by brainchild81
Is there judo during the summer olympics? yes. very entertaining next to the boxing and greco-roman matches.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Myth
I woke up at 5am to watch it. stick out tongue

Brainchild- Yes, Judo is in the Olympics. I want them to add MMA. That would be awesome.

MMA as an olympic sport. I'd watch.

chillmeistergen

Poverty, I reckon.

Dr. Leg Kick
MMA as an olympic sport. I'd watch. doubt they would ever agree to MMA. If they did not allow Sambo, they wont allow MMA.

unfortunate.

brainchild81
When the hell do they show it?

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by brainchild81
When the hell do they show it?

channelsurfing.net

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
doubt they would ever agree to MMA. If they did not allow Sambo, they wont allow MMA.

unfortunate.

Yes it would be.

Dr. Leg Kick
Yes it would be. what?

DestinyGuy678
AMerica surged ahaead in medal count today

Bardock42
Germany third at the moment.

In yo face, bitchus.

ragesRemorse
may and walsh are so fine

Dr. Leg Kick
5 Bronzes for Armenia

for only having 25 participants, i'm glad were winning something.

forumcrew
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
may and walsh are so fine

They really have no body at all. Walsh has some nice legs. Ill take sacramone and nastia over them

DestinyGuy678
the 100 is looking to be amazing the jamaican team is kinda menacing though..I have faith in gay still

Jovan
AMerica surged ahaead in medal count today
but still a huge 11 golden medailles behind China

how many golden medailles are there left to earn btw?

Elite Hunter
Phelps's last race so close, at one point he was in 7th and came back to win by a hundredth of a second.

DestinyGuy678
Originally posted by Jovan
but still a huge 11 golden medailles behind China

how many golden medailles are there left to earn btw? plenty dont worry, plus america is leading china in overall medal count

Jovan
yeah but overall doesn't count in standings. The one with the most gold medals wins

DestinyGuy678
Originally posted by Jovan
yeah but overall doesn't count in standings. The one with the most gold medals wins ....who descided that rule ofcourse the country winning hte most golds wil lsay only he g olds ocunt...and ofcourse the country with the most overall medals will say the most medals count

if you do it by score (gold=3, silver=2, bronze=1) I think the us might still be winning

bats2jm
Lightning-fast Bolt wins Olympic 100m usain bolt the man.

Elite Hunter
Phelps gets his 8th gold medal.

Bardock42
....who descided that rule ofcourse the country winning hte most golds wil lsay only he g olds ocunt...and ofcourse the country with the most overall medals will say the most medals count

if you do it by score (gold=3, silver=2, bronze=1) I think the us might still be winning

Oh really, that's interesting, what if you'd go by a score of Gold = 15, Silver = 7.8 , Bronze = 2 and just starting = 0.123.

Who's first then? hmm

Quiero Mota
It was pretty amazing. His mom was yelling "Come on Jason!" to the anchor of the team, and the fans at Raven's Stadium stayed after their expo game to see Phelps get it.

Also, the Redeem Team really put a hurt on Spain.

Df02
What does KMC think about the standard of judging so far?

Outbound
Damn, GB scored a bunch of medals today blink

chillmeistergen
Booya.

Outbound
What events were they in? I missed today's coverage.

chillmeistergen
Yeah, I missed them too, mainly because I'm a pretty casual watcher of it. I've been keeping up to date on the medal count via this - http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml

DestinyGuy678
Originally posted by Bardock42
Oh really, that's interesting, what if you'd go by a score of Gold = 15, Silver = 7.8 , Bronze = 2 and just starting = 0.123.

Who's first then? hmm
...I didnt make up that system.

jaden101
TYson will take him out if he has a good start

looking back on this now...hahaha

gryphon28
I just watched Bolt smoke the 200

Dr. Leg Kick
Medals Per Capita

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/olympics_blog/2008/08/slovenia-hammer.html

Armenia! big grin

xmarksthespot
Gold=3, Silver=2, Bronze=1 Comes out as:
China: 186
USA: 165

Essentially China (81) has the roughly the same number of medals as the USA (83) except they simply have a G: S: B ratio of 3:1:2 instead of 1:1:1.

Meanwhile...
Elderly Chinese women ordered into re-education for daring to protest

ragesRemorse
OMFG...

that gold medal, womans beach volleyball, match was the hottest thing i've ever seen. May and Walsh playing volleyball in the rain while wearing white bikini's OMG droolio

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Bolt and Phelps make me go, "Woof!".

What do people think of the International Olympic Committee president's comments that Bolt shouldn't be show-boating after races out of respect to the rest of the field? Personally, I love it! He's so calm and relaxed before his races, and then he really enjoys the wins. I think that's a great way of encouraging kids to get involved in sport.

Alpha Centauri
The thing is, Bolt makes everyone look stupid because he has abnormal talent, not because he celebrates wildly.

It's probably a bigger shame to get whooped that badly.

-AC

Bicnarok

BruceSkywalker
TEAM USA

Saw it live

DanZeke25
That game was ridiculous.

Bicnarok
who won

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

What do people think of the International Olympic Committee president's comments that Bolt shouldn't be show-boating after races out of respect to the rest of the field? Personally, I love it! He's so calm and relaxed before his races, and then he really enjoys the wins. I think that's a great way of encouraging kids to get involved in sport.

The president sounds like an *******.

jaden101
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo

i dont think it's so much the showboating after races as during races...and still breaking world records, that really pisses off the officials...but **** the officials...the man is a revelation in sprinting...if it means he makes the rest of the pack look silly then the rest of the pack need to up their game

i also think he wants to break the record again and again so as to continually stay in the spotlight...and why not?...it's a prudent business desicion...if he'd gone all out and totally destroyed the world records by giving it his all...and was then unable to break them again...he'd soon fade...he'd probably still win every race for the next decade but no records broken means not as much coverage means not as much sponsorship either directly to him or to fund prize money in the sport

igolf
yeah, china and america both did well in this 2008 olympic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.