Will Turner - not our favorite subject but I have to ask...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

J.P Jaeh_Poole
why is he the "blood to be repaid" or something like that again?

I'm confused.

I never really got that... >.<

willofthewisp
It all goes back to Bootstrap and Jack's crew 10 years before COTBP. Jack and co. found the Aztec gold and all of them took a piece. But Barbossa led a mutiny against Jack so Jack himself does not have a coin as is therefore not cursed.

Soon after, the pirates discovered the coins were cursed. The way to end the curse was for everyone to return the coins and drop their blood into the chest. I think Barbossa says this is because so much blood was taken from the Aztecs that they demanded blood in the curse as an even exchange.

Bootstrap was the only one who didn't want to mutiny Jack and thought it a fitting punishment that he and the others be cursed. So he sent his coin home to Will so it couldn't be returned. Barbossa found out and indirectly sent Bootstrap to be picked up by the Flying Dutchman. As Pintel says, they all believed Bootstrap was in the Locker, so there was no way to bring Bootstrap back to put his blood in the chest.

Somehow they knew that Bootstrap had a kid. Blood passes from parent to child so the kid would have Bootstrap's blood. I have no idea why they didn't know the kid was a boy and not a girl, but that's just the movies for you. They needed to find that last coin and Bootstrap's child so they could end the curse.

That's why it was so important that Liz said her last name was Turner. She is the same age as Will and had the coin, so they all assumed her blood was what was needed.

Does that make sense?

texgodiva2s
Okay question asked and answered--what the heckydo I want to know is: The myth goes like Davy Jones promised Tia Dalma, (Calypso) that he would be the captain of the Flying Dutchman. He promised her this when she was a woman, not the Sea (Calypso). She was to be there for him at 10 years. She blew him off for whatever reason and so he couldn't bear it, cut his heart out and chested it. Then he got major twisted on his collection duties, blew some off, took others prematurely etc. He was cursed. He didn't have to cut his heart out, he just did it cos he was a bummed out, lovelorn kinda guy. So now. We come along to Jack and Will. Will as we know, gets stabbed, not killed but might have died if left to his own devices. Will stabs Davy Jones' heart and then Davy Jones is gone, no longer the Captain of the Flying Dutchman. So now Will is the captain--helluva deal to get to be a captain if you ask me--what is the perversion with cutting out his heart--that wasn't part of the deal--you just had to be the Ferryman. You had to discharge your duties with all the grace and ability you had and take the dead to the other shore. That part of the story makes me nuts!!(er) Love y'all thanks for letting me vent (still).

willofthewisp
The curse bugs me, too. But I thought Calypso WAS the sea/goddess when she and Davy were together. Then she left him, and he went all insane and told the pirates how to bound her in a human form. I don't know how he knew that. Maybe they had some really kinky habits?

I don't know why Will's heart had to be cut out. That makes no sense to me. Davy Jones cut out his heart and buried it away so he would never have to deal with human emotions again (or so he thought!). Will obviously does have his emotions and humanity in check after he becomes the Captain, so I have no idea.

sailorleo
wait...hang on, dumb question....if bootstrap was able to send will a coin, doesn't that make him cursed as well? so when they tried to drown him, should that have worked?

willofthewisp
I think you have to take a coin from the chest itself to be cursed.

sailorleo
so, he looted....from the looters, in order to get the coin, to will? because it's not like he could con another pirate to give up their coin...?

J.P Jaeh_Poole
...AHHH. so everyone else has already put their blood in that chest, and the only blood left was turner's, so that's why... AHHH. got it.

the heart part, come to think of it, is kinda pointless coz will's not.. er, as heart broken as davey, pardon the pun...

texgodiva2s
Off topic, however, Sailorleo, well, have you seen the promos for the new fall series--Swingtown, with TADA Jack Davenport--looking so utterly 70s!! Saw one shot of him in bed with his "wife"...I don't have a clue what all it's going to be about other than--he doesn't have a white wig--lol!!

sailorleo
i can't wait for it to come out....i doubt i'll get to see much of it, because of work though....

Tramps Lady
Originally posted by texgodiva2s
Okay question asked and answered--what the heckydo I want to know is: The myth goes like Davy Jones promised Tia Dalma, (Calypso) that he would be the captain of the Flying Dutchman. He promised her this when she was a woman, not the Sea (Calypso). She was to be there for him at 10 years. She blew him off for whatever reason and so he couldn't bear it, cut his heart out and chested it. Then he got major twisted on his collection duties, blew some off, took others prematurely etc. He was cursed. He didn't have to cut his heart out, he just did it cos he was a bummed out, lovelorn kinda guy. So now. We come along to Jack and Will. Will as we know, gets stabbed, not killed but might have died if left to his own devices. Will stabs Davy Jones' heart and then Davy Jones is gone, no longer the Captain of the Flying Dutchman. So now Will is the captain--helluva deal to get to be a captain if you ask me--what is the perversion with cutting out his heart--that wasn't part of the deal--you just had to be the Ferryman. You had to discharge your duties with all the grace and ability you had and take the dead to the other shore. That part of the story makes me nuts!!(er) Love y'all thanks for letting me vent (still).

good Question. but i have a feeling, because she wasnt there after 10 years, he was bound to the ship forever. once he cut out his heart, he turned "tentacley" and im assuming the ship wasnt how we see it and was just a ship like the interceptor etc. Seeing as Davy Jones was the first person to be bound to the dutchman, what happened to him had to happen to the next person etc.

OR

We never really found out if he had to cut out his heart and give it to her or something and he gets it back after the ten years(if she was there), did we? because that is a possibility...

J.P Jaeh_Poole
I honestly like the second choice more- the one in where he gets it back after ten years. I don't want Lizzie to live alone forever and just see Will(even though I dislike the little whelp) just once every ten years... that's just too... well, sad and heartbreaking and to be plain and simple- a bummer.

besides, there is this fic that I have tackling the part wherein Will goes back after ten years and after he dies, Jack comes back to the rescue...

Bwa Ha Ha
Major bummer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.