Obama and Wife Lock It Tight

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scythe
http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20080714/wnewyorker0714/_done_0714nyorker_500big.jpg

Look at it closely, freedom of expression finally took a small breath of air it won't see in awhile. What are your takes on the cover of this New Yorker.

I for one welcome it, we can't be allowed to live in a world where we must hold back everything that's on our minds.

Strangelove
what was the article about, commonly held misconceptions about the Obamas?

AngryManatee
Don't black people carry spears, not guns?

BackFire
Terrorist fist jab! I KNEW IT!

No, the cover is meant to be satirical towards the ridiculous accusations and claims about Obama and his family being Muslim and anit american and all that horse shit.

KidRock
Originally posted by BackFire
Terrorist fist jab! I KNEW IT!

No, the cover is meant to be satirical towards the ridiculous accusations and claims about Obama and his family being Muslim and anit american and all that horse shit.

Too bad Obama and most other people didn't actually get that. Would be funnier if it had Michelle Obama gunning down "whitey" though or something.

BackFire
They got it, they just didn't like it.

Not as if it's an incredibly complex joke. Just satire that didn't really work all that well. The problem is, the satire shown in the picture is actually believed by a lot of stupid people, thus rendering the satire obsolete.

Devil King
the picture is actually believed by a lot of stupid people, thus rendering the obsolete.

Fixed that for you.

ragesRemorse
I dont know why, but this sort of risky satire isn't funny when it's presented by the new yorker. It almost feels like the old guy trying to be hip but has gotten in on the joke long after it stopped being funny.

lord xyz
Where the hell are Obama's toes?

Shakyamunison
They got it, they just didn't like it.

Not as if it's an incredibly complex joke. Just satire that didn't really work all that well. The problem is, the satire shown in the picture is actually believed by a lot of stupid people, thus rendering the satire obsolete.

If that was a standard to go by, then a lot of the satire from the last 8 years would obsolete.

WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, everyone, it's not funny when it's done to Obama...learn to keep your sense of humor in check when dealing with this topic.

chillmeistergen
It's not particularly funny, just because it's so horribly obvious. It could be a funny subject to satirise, definitely.

I also think when people argue the whole freedom of expression thing (which I'm certainly for), they tend to only want freedom of expression for things they believe in or agree with. I believe that it should be absolute, we should not have laws protecting people from being offended.

Also, $4.50? What a rip off.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, everyone, it's not funny when it's done to Obama...learn to keep your sense of humor in check when dealing with this topic.

I think it's funny when the people who supported intentional insults directed at Bush, are offended by perceived insults to Obama. We should take a lesson from that.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by chillmeistergen

Also, $4.50? What a rip off.

At first I thought you meant gas...

AngryManatee
Originally posted by lord xyz
Where the hell are Obama's toes?

He's probably wearing socks with his sandals, which is pretty much fashion terrorism!

lord xyz
Originally posted by AngryManatee
He's probably wearing socks with his sandals, which is pretty much fashion terrorism! Well then he's definately white if he wears socks with sandals.

Schecter
i love how people try to draw parallels between other highly publicised political satire against bush or maccain when there are none. desperate people who would cry and kick and scream if it was done to their infallable heros who piss rainbows and shit pure sunshine. a running theme of idiocy. (yes this means you so dont ask)

Devil King
I personally think most of the outrage comes from the fact that the picture is on the cover. If this picture were only inside the magazine no one would have gotten up in arms about it. And I can see a certain amount of logic to that, because most people who walk past a news stand are only going to see the cover. 70% of people who think one way or the other about the picture aren't going to read a single word of the article. That's why we get people saying "it's about time someone had the guts to say what everyone is thinking about Obama!", despite not having a clue what the article is about.

Dr. Leg Kick
it's satire, but i dont see how it's relevant to anything really.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Both need bigger lips and noses. And they should be climbing trees.

Scythe
I see it as just useless propaganda disguised as "freedom of speech" I just give somewhat props to them putting it on the cover since it probably cheesed off alot of people.

Devil King
Why don't you tell us what's really on your mind; two days later?

Scythe
What're you talking about? I posted it on the first post, I admire daring shit like this. I feel clammed up in today's society, everyone seems scared to say Hillary or Obama suck.

KidRock
That man..is a brownie hound.

Schecter
Originally posted by Scythe
What're you talking about? I posted it on the first post, I admire daring shit like this. I feel clammed up in today's society, everyone seems scared to say Hillary or Obama suck.

so basically you negate its justification for printing (you know "hey dont worry america, people are certainly not stupid enough to take it seriously"wink the irony is so thick and juicy...like my penis.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Schecter
i love how people try to draw parallels between other highly publicised political satire against bush or maccain when there are none. desperate people who would cry and kick and scream if it was done to their infallable heros who piss rainbows and shit pure sunshine. a running theme of idiocy. (yes this means you so dont ask)

Actually feature films like Fahrenheit 9/11 and music videos like "Mosh" came out about Bush, and they were downright attacks, not even satirical.

It does seem a bit hypocritical for people to be up in arms about this thing, which is really just satire.

=Tired Hiker=
I find the cover to be an exact reflection as to what will soon happen if Obama is elected! No, just kidding, but for people who do feel that way, the cover may feed their paranoid "See I told you so!" ridiculousness. In a way I'd like to see an equally stereotyped cover for McCain.

Shakyamunison
http://www.cagle.com/news/NewYorkerCover/images/cole.jpg
laughing out loud

Schecter
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Actually feature films like Fahrenheit 9/11 and music videos like "Mosh" came out about Bush, and they were downright attacks, not even satirical.

they depicted bush as a flag-burning secret islamic terrorist? shit i need to watch that again.

Originally posted by sithsaber408
It does seem a bit hypocritical for people to be up in arms about this thing, which is really just satire.

satire which people are too stupid to understand apparently

Shakyamunison
they depicted bush as a flag-burning secret islamic terrorist? shit i need to watch that again.

satire which people are too stupid to understand apparently

If you ignore intent, you will not understand the similarities or differences. Also, if someone does not want to see something, they will not.

Schecter
yeah, or you're wrong and bush was not depicted as a secret islamic flag burning terrorist. but the fact stands anyway that many people (yourself included) are too stupid to understand that this piece was intended to be a satirical jab at american paranoia and racism.

Shakyamunison
yeah, or you're wrong and bush was not depicted as a secret islamic flag burning terrorist. but the fact stands anyway that many people (yourself included) are too stupid to understand that this piece was intended to be a satirical jab at american paranoia and racism.

laughing Thanks for giving an example of my point. You are missing the big picture; intent is everything.

Schecter
no it isnt 'everything'. there is also responsibility and good taste. the new yorker should have contemplated their move well before executing and they obviously didnt. they banked on the idea that people are intelligent and would 'get it'.

trying to drag in a documentary which criticizes george bush based on his job performance proves nothing. yes people get criticized all the time. sometimes that criticism is unfair even. however being baselessly labeled as a terrorist and enemy of the state, intentional or not, is irresponsible and not the same as someone critiquing your lord and savior bush.

just more of your right wing apologist diluting of the topic im afraid.

Shakyamunison
no it isnt 'everything'. there is also responsibility and good taste. the new yorker should have contemplated their move well before executing and they obviously didnt. they banked on the idea that people are intelligent and would 'get it'.

trying to drag in a documentary which criticizes george bush based on his job performance proves nothing. yes people get criticized all the time. sometimes that criticism is unfair even. however being baselessly labeled as a terrorist and enemy of the state, intentional or not, is irresponsible and not the same as someone critiquing your lord and savior bush.

just more of your right wing apologist diluting of the topic im afraid.

Please apply this standard to everyone, including Bush.

BTW I'm not right wing. I used to be a Democrat until Dean. Now I'm independent. If I look right wing to you it is only because you are far left wing.

Schecter
or you're just lying.

Shakyamunison
or you're just lying.

Typical for a far left winger. laughing

Bardock42
I thought it was funny...

lord xyz
Maybe if the newspaper posted "THIS IS SATIRE" below the picture, it'd be okay.

Bardock42
Also, people saying that it is aimed at Obama, seem to misunderstand the message.

On a different note, this one is way better, funnier, sadder, truer and importanter, then again, it is from the best magazine in existence.

http://www.reason.com/images/47a58301861139da05057c8175e8b964.jpg

lord xyz
Originally posted by Bardock42
Also, people saying that it is aimed at Obama, seem to misunderstand the message.

On a different note, this one is way better, funnier, sadder, truer and importanter, then again, it is from the best magazine in existence.

http://www.reason.com/images/47a58301861139da05057c8175e8b964.jpg Now THAT'S satire you can admire.

What magasine is that, and where can I get it?

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
Now THAT'S satire you can admire.

What magasine is that, and where can I get it?

I don't know whether you'd like it, but it is Reason Magazine and you can get it here.

lord xyz
Probably not, I'm not the kind of person who reads a lot.

Obama's proposed US Flag:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Flag_of_Malaysia.svg/210px-Flag_of_Malaysia.svg.png

KidRock
http://www.freeulysses.com/uploaded_images/obama-speech-765496.jpg

Scythe
so basically you negate its justification for printing (you know "hey dont worry america, people are certainly not stupid enough to take it seriously"wink the irony is so thick and juicy...like my penis.

Pretty much. I doubt Americans will take it seriously.

sithsaber408
http://mysite.verizon.net/resuqbf4/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Web-Obama-Oct09-Color.gif

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.