Newer movie trailers give away too much/too little.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K-Dog
Is it just me or do movie trailers give most of the movie away compared to trailers of 15-20 years ago?

Alpha Centauri
It's true.

It's because, in general, people want to know everything about something before they give money to it. Albums, games, movies, it's ridiculous.

-AC

Mairuzu
This is why i don't like watching trailers much

MildPossession
All the trailers I've seen, none of them that I can remember give away major details that spoil the viewing experience, especially for most of it...

Depending on the trailer, 15-20 years ago trailers had a lot of footage in, especially the films for the grindhouse type films, a lot of stuff in those and minutes long.

If you don't like it, try just watching the Teaser editions of trailers that first come out before most full trailers.

Plus, I can usually see trailers wayyyyyyyy before the film release, so by the time the film is out, I've forgotten most of the stuff that was in the trailer.

Mairuzu
To me, they show too much of the movie, not necessarily giving it away...

jaden101
actions films i dont really see a problem with...they rarely have anything to spoil anyway....more suspense based or twist based films i dont think they give too much away...it's a fine balance between generating interest in a film and revealing too much in a trailer though....obviously that isn't a problem with known franchises....i mean the new batman film would be as well only having the original teaser with absolutely no footage and just throw in a joker laugh and people would still be creaming themselves

BruceSkywalker
Movie trailers are designed to entice the watcher in waiting for another one to come out and then eventually when the film comes out. Also I don't have a problem when a trailer reveals more than it should because whatever is in the trailer will be seen sometime somewhere during the actual film and by then you will be sitting there hopefully watching something really good or horrible shiite.

Alpha Centauri
I don't understand that last comment.

If you're going to be eventually watching it anyway, surely they only need show just enough to entice viewers.

Although that's the problem, people don't want to be enticed, because that still requires an element of not knowing exactly what you're in form. Then people wanna moan that films, albums, games etc don't live up to hype nowadays.

It's because it's practically already out before it's "out", you've seen or heard it before you've experienced it.

Had The Godfather been blighted by teasers, ninety trailers and a viral campaign, I doubt it would have had the massive impact.

Darth Vader revealing himself to be Luke's father ranks as one of moviegoers (Of that era) biggest screen shocks. How would that have worked today? It wouldn't have. Everyone wants to spoil everything, and in many cases, you've gotta wonder whether the moviemakers themselves are doing it because they know that's a surefire way to get people to pay.

-AC

Scythe
It's possible to have a good trailer without spoiling too much, Hollywood just hasn't found out how. they try, but seem to fail. Then their are other trailers that don't do anything for me, have you guys seen the previews for Wall-E?! It's a good movie granted, but the blasted trailers for it don't explain what the movie is about.

"It's just alittle robot, whoo, look at him get in all kinds of trouble, what will he do next?!"

Not doing anything for me.

Kazenji
Originally posted by K-Dog
Is it just me or do movie trailers give most of the movie away compared to trailers of 15-20 years ago?

Yep. Especally when it comes to comedies they cram in all most of the jokes into the trailer.

EliotNess
It's tough--sometimes I want to see more to understand why I should see a movie, sometimes I want to see less (especially for the movies I'm already going to see for sure) so nothing is spoiled. Mostly I just want the trailer to be honest--you expect a thriller based on the trailer and it's more of a romance, etc.

agphoenix
Originally posted by Mairuzu
To me, they show too much of the movie, not necessarily giving it away...

YUP...and that's more annoying than giving it away...I think.

Is this few enough words Mairuzu? stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.