Should we risk creating a black hole?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
In the coming months the most complex scientific instrument ever built will be switched on. .The Large Hadron Collider promises to recreate the conditions right after the Big Bang.

Some scientists believe there is the slight chance of a black hole or "stranglets" being created causing catastrophe of epic proportions, mabye destroying the planet!!

More info-
WIKI

LHC site

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bicnarok
In the coming months the most complex scientific instrument ever built will be switched on. .The Large Hadron Collider promises to recreate the conditions right after the Big Bang.

Some scientists believe there is the slight chance of a black hole or "stranglets" being created causing catastrophe of epic proportions, mabye destroying the planet!!

More info-
WIKI

LHC site

If that happens we'd never know about it, now would we?

Mindship
Hell, yeah. What a way to go...we'd be on the Galactic News, Sapient Interest section...

"Everyone in the Universe knows there are certain things you just don't do on your own planet. Well, almost everyone. Those hairless apes in Orion's Arm really flushed themselves down the ol' hole this time, literally. Here's Mzztpo(cluck) with her exclusive report..."

Symmetric Chaos
Yes, we should. It would be awesome.

Newjak
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Yes, we should. It would be awesome. Until you know everything ends stick out tongue

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Newjak
Until you know everything ends stick out tongue

Well time keeps slowing down as we get closer to the blackhole . . .

BackFire
Worth it.

Bicnarok

Newjak
Well time keeps slowing down as we get closer to the blackhole . . . In theory stick out tongue

It just as likely that we would all experience 20 lifetimes worth of unimaginable pain. big grin

~Wålshy~
...so if this is the standard model, nothing to worry about and they should go ahead with it. aweyes

Bicnarok
The unproven standard model which someone dreamed up.

nothing can go wrong thensmile

ragesRemorse
I think it's worth a shot. It is probably easier than acquiring a flux capacitor, a delorian and plutonium.

Newjak
I'm gonna be the first to call it now.

They are gonna fire this thing up, and open a portal to a dimension where giant monstrous tendrils come out and kill them all stick out tongue

inimalist
there really isn't any possibility of the LHC causing a blackhole that would be problematic for us

even in the almost impossibly unlikely chance that one is created, the EXACT same theory people are using to say they may form also predicts that they would be so unstable and weak that upon eating 1 or 2 protons, they will dissipate. (I don't know the technical terms, sorry smile)

AngryManatee
**** yeah black mesa!

Röland
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1024/240pxvortigauntin7.jpg
"The Freeman will accept this weapon, or suffer greatly on the road ahead!"

jaden101
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-02/ns-llc021308.php

techincally black holes have already been made in the lab

lil bitchiness
Its ze FRench again, deestRoying ze UniveaRS!

Newjak
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Its ze FRench again, deestRoying ze UniveaRS! This is their revenge for the French Jokes

Deja~vu
Well time keeps slowing down as we get closer to the blackhole . . . We would see signs and pretty

aSlowing down yet pulling further apart as universes do. I don't see a black hole soon. If so, then we would see our stars or star streaks on our telescopes. That is the sign of the debris and such...etc...
If we were in a state of a black hole or a soon coming one then our world would be in a catastrophic state.

AngryManatee
10 years later

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/9/98/070F1DD4-EB1B-4E29-859A-75CAA0575067.jpg

Deja~vu
Not for those who flee the cities............Hehe

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Newjak
This is their revenge for the French Jokes

It is almost a moral obligation to make fun of the French...

BackFire
What do you mean 'almost'?

~Wålshy~
What's the difference between toast and a frenchman?

You can make soldiers out of toast.

jaden101

Bicnarok
might as well add my bit to the french joke, side theme.-

http://www.jokefile.co.uk/peace/french/french_soldierofsurrender.jpg

Jack Daniels
17 days 5 hours and 51 minutes left till its turned on...that sux

Sadako of Girth
Isn't Hawking currently saying that microscopic blackholes occur on and through the earth anyway...?

If they are that widespead and common a phenomenon and are a part of a natural quantum thing that we dont totally understand, I do wonder of the wisdom of provoking something that could in theory mess with space/time space time.

It'll be interesting to see at least what results they get.

I wait with baited breath.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
If they are that widespead and common a phenomenon and are a part of a natural quantum thing that we dont totally understand, I do wonder of the wisdom of provoking something that could in theory mess with space/time space time.

Everything warps space time by virtue of existing.

Kumar
the chance of anything like the torrent of singlets destroying the Universe is so minuscule that its just ignorant to be worried about it. If you'll recall, when they set off the first atomic bomb, there were fears that the explosion would be so hot, it would cause a chain reaction that would ignite all the oxygen in the atmosphere... and that didn't happen.
Plus, like some said earlier, even if it did happen, its not like you would know it. the universe would pretty much be destroyed instantly.

On a side note, i think it was Hawaii (or some other state government) that was pursuing legal action to get the LHC shut down to save all of man kind because of the "chance" that this could happen.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Mindship
Hell, yeah. What a way to go...we'd be on the Galactic News, Sapient Interest section...

"Everyone in the Universe knows there are certain things you just don't do on your own planet. Well, almost everyone. Those hairless apes in Orion's Arm really flushed themselves down the ol' hole this time, literally. Here's Mzztpo(cluck) with her exclusive report..."

lol

Deja~vu
I believe until you have all the possible out comes, don't fool with those types of physics...........Curiosity killed that cat, remember.

Devil King
If the end of the world happened and it wasn't because of the reutrn of Jesus or the anti-christ, it'd be wroth it to hear them STFU.

Deja~vu
Oh.... sad sad

chithappens

Basically.

It's just a complex way of saying some dumb shit - at least from my understanding anyway.

dadudemon
Originally posted by chithappens
Basically.

It's just a complex way of saying some dumb shit - at least from my understanding anyway.

I don't get it?

What he said is completely true and it is in simplest form. I can't think of a simpler way to say it.

Your point is going over my head.... sad

This is what he was talking about...

http://nrumiano.free.fr/Images/bh_warp1_E.gif

Here's Kerr's black hole:

http://nrumiano.free.fr/Images/black_hole.jpg

Deja~vu
DON'T MAKE A BLACK HOLE............PLEASE.............I don't want to emplode....crybaby

Rogue Jedi
Do we REALLY need to know what's out there that badly?

AngryManatee
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Do we REALLY need to know what's out there that badly?

Yeah, it's science, yo.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Deja~vu
DON'T MAKE A BLACK HOLE............PLEASE.............I don't want to emplode....crybaby

I don't even want to know what emplode means.

hatredcopter

More info-
WIKI

LHC site Why not. The rewards might be monumental. Might even discover the God Particle.

AngryManatee
Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't even want to know what emplode means.

Well if you think imploding is bad, you don't even wanna know.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by hatredcopter
Why not. The rewards might be monumental. Might even discover the God Particle.

Hence why science fails.

'THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES IF WE'RE RIGHT!"

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Hence why science fails.

'THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES IF WE'RE RIGHT!"

As opposed to . . .

hatredcopter
Hence why science fails.

'THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES IF WE'RE RIGHT!" You have it backwards. That's why science succedes. Who dares wins.

Grand_Moff_Gav
You have it backwards. That's why science succedes. Who dares wins.

*cough* Nazis *cough* Russia...fail.

hatredcopter
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
*cough* Nazis *cough* Russia...fail. Which is why science fails?

Grand_Moff_Gav
Which is why science fails?

"He who dares wins..."

Hitler dared...he lost.

Oh, how can science win? What is it winning against? What determines a win? Who is science anyway?

chillmeistergen
He had a pretty good run.

Blax_Hydralisk
As opposed to . . .

Not doing anything and letting the Africans dying in the millions via AIDS waste away?

smile

AT least then we'd be safe from the T-Virus.

Or Jurassic Park. no expression

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
He had a pretty good run.

Did he win?

Surely he would have prefferd that "Reich which will last 1000 years"?

hatredcopter
"He who dares wins..."

Hitler dared...he lost.

Oh, how can science win? What is it winning against? What determines a win? Who is science anyway? Walking on the moon. Medical breakthrough's etc. Sorry G.M.G, but even science failing is a win. It's all about progress. Having a computers nice isn't it? Give thanks to science and those who dared. wink

Blax_Hydralisk
Walking on the moon. Medical breakthrough's...

Bombs capible of wiping out thousands of lives in a matter of minutes, then irradiating the soil and continuing to kill people for years, possibly eradicating all life on the planet due to some jerk-off forgetting to carry the four in his "How to create a black hole" formula...

Even when it's failing it's still winning. smile

Grand_Moff_Gav
Walking on the moon. Medical breakthrough's etc. Sorry G.M.G, but even science failing is a win. It's all about progress. Having a computers nice isn't it? Give thanks to science and those who dared. wink

I ask again.

Who is this "science" who represents it?
Is it a being that is winning?
Is it a culture?

What is science?

AngryManatee
Did he win?

Surely he would have prefferd that "Reich which will last 1000 years"?

I think there's a difference between comparing the ideals of a tyrant as opposed to the advancement of scientific research.

AngryManatee
I ask again.

Is it a culture?

What is science?

Science is the study of how our physical world works no expression
You could also think of it as a train of though that often results in the advancement of technology.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Science is the study of how our physical world works no expression
You could also think of it as a train of though that often results in the advancement of technology.

So..why did he insist on referring to it as if it was some sort of nation or organisation? You see...last time I checked, the world of scientists was anything but unified enough to be considered unified...

hatredcopter
I ask again.

Is it a culture?

What is science? Science is man. It represents us and paves our way to the future. If you think it fails try and leave it behind. wink

Grand_Moff_Gav
Science is man. It represents us and paves our way to the future. If you think it fails try and leave it behind. wink

I don't recall saying it failed...

However, if "science is man" then surely it is as divided, self-serving and finite as man?

AngryManatee
So..why did he insist on referring to it as if it was some sort of nation or organisation? You see...last time I checked, the world of scientists was anything but unified enough to be considered unified...

They're unified enough to share important information and peer-review data in order to see if it is correct. And not to mention there are oftentimes organizations for different branches of science. So yeah, it is rather unified, which isn't really surprising. You solve things quicker if you have more than one mind working on a problem.

Grand_Moff_Gav
They're unified enough to share important information and peer-review data in order to see if it is correct. And not to mention there are oftentimes organizations for different branches of science. So yeah, it is rather unified, which isn't really surprising. You solve things quicker if you have more than one mind working on a problem.

So...Science is a unified body...who represents it?

hatredcopter
I don't recall saying it failed...

However, if "science is man" then surely it is as divided, self-serving and finite as man? Absolutely. Can science be corrupted? You know the answer to that. But used for the benefit of the human race I dont think it can ever be called self serving or finite.

AngryManatee
So...Science is a unified body...who represents it?

Jesus. Lol no jk. Really there isn't one person who represents it. Remember that the results we get from scientific research is from many individuals.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Jesus. Lol no jk. Really there isn't one person who represents it. Remember that the results we get from scientific research is from many individuals.

So its not unified.

chillmeistergen
Represented by humanity and all that, it's humans conquering nature and it's fascinating.

I understand that you're religious and all that, basically - stones and glass houses.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Represented by humanity and all that, it's humans conquering nature and it's fascinating.

I understand that you're religious and all that, basically - stones and glass houses.

lol

I don't think you understand that I'm in no way anti-scientific, nor has anything that I have said in this thread been unscientific.

I just get annoyed when people speak of science as if its a singular organization.

Its not, its the name given to a process of study. Scientists are not all the same, they do not all represent the same ideals or beliefs and they most certainly are not "winning" anything because they are not in competition with anything, competition would make their research unscientific. Most notable scientists tend to be proved right long after they are dead.

chillmeistergen
lol

I don't think you understand that I'm in no way anti-scientific, nor has anything that I have said in this thread been unscientific.

I just get annoyed when people speak of science as if its a singular organization.

Its not, its the name given to a process of study. Scientists are not all the same, they do not all represent the same ideals or beliefs and they most certainly are not "winning" anything because they are not in competition with anything, competition would make their research unscientific. Most notable scientists tend to be proved right long after they are dead.

Well it's the theory of disproving something, or proving something, isn't it? That then gets turned into the word 'win', as if there was some kind of battle. It's a very odd thing to be annoyed about, perhaps you ought to chill out a bit and realise that synonyms for 'prove' and 'disprove' expand when used by a consensus.

Adam_PoE
lol

Scientists compete with themselves and with one another.

hatredcopter
lol

Its not, its the name given to a process of study. Scientists are not all the same, they do not all represent the same ideals or beliefs and they most certainly are not "winning" anything because they are not in competition with anything, competition would make their research unscientific. Most notable scientists tend to be proved right long after they are dead. I think your wrong. Science is competing every day. It's the flip side of religion who it's competing against, and it's winning by a wide margin. There's room enough for the two at the moment but with the advances we're making with science who knows? Religion hasn't moved forward in 2 thousand years. wink

Blax_Hydralisk
Yeah.

Here's the thing though. Either Religion is right, and God eventually comes and magically makes everything all pure and good again. Or, religion is wrong, fake, and... via Science we inevitably create something that kills us all. That's if we don't taken out by a meteor or some natural disaster.

You realize that one push of a button would create a nuclear war and annihilate most of the life on this planet, right? One computer virus. One glicth in the system in just the right spot, and it's all over.

And it's hardly "Religion vs. Science", only some parts of it, I.E. Creationism and Evolution. Otherwise Religion and Science co-exist quite well. erm I'm religious but I'm not anti-Science. I'm not even anti-creationism. I just think it's just as stupid to think that advances in Science will "invetibly save us all!" as it is to think some all powerful all knowing being will swoop down and end all suffering.

AngryManatee
So its not unified.

Is having one main representative considering a requirement for being unified? I mean, how does a group of people working on something not sound unified? Not in a religious manner of course but as in working towards a common task.

hatredcopter
Yeah.

Here's the thing though. Either Religion is right, and God eventually comes and magically makes everything all pure and good again. Or, religion is wrong, fake, and... via Science we inevitably create something that kills us all.

You realize that one push of a button would create a nuclear war and annihilate most of the life on this planet, right? One computer virus. One glicth in the system in just the right spot, and it's all over.

And it's hardly "Religion vs. Science", only some parts of it, I.E. Creationism and Evolution. Otherwise Religion and Science co-exist quite well. erm Religion and science do co-exist well, now. But until God shows his hand (assuming there is God) science continues to gather pace to an extent that religion might not be relevent. Who knows? And as for science ending all life, it's a very real possibility, but that's science for you. Hard, real and to the point.

Blax_Hydralisk
And as for science ending all life, it's a very real possibility, but that's science for you. Hard, real and to the point.

Dude. no expression

CaptainStoic
I read about this sometime ago, and the court threw the case out stating that the scientist that said that it may destroy the planet was paranoid.

If it happens I just want a little time to catch up with the dummies who threw the switch so I can personally kick em in the nutz!

Sadako of Girth

But heavier the mass, more it occurs.

And black holes are more or less the most dense things there are.

Bardock42

Well...there still is Debbiejo

Grand_Moff_Gav
I think your wrong. Science is competing every day. It's the flip side of religion who it's competing against, and it's winning by a wide margin. There's room enough for the two at the moment but with the advances we're making with science who knows? Religion hasn't moved forward in 2 thousand years. wink

For the record Big Bang theory- did a huge amount for religion.

What will they discover next?

AngryManatee
Why is this turning into a religious argument. Ghey much?

dadudemon
Yeah.

Here's the thing though. Either Religion is right, and God eventually comes and magically makes everything all pure and good again. Or, religion is wrong, fake, and... via Science we inevitably create something that kills us all. That's if we don't taken out by a meteor or some natural disaster.

And it's hardly "Religion vs. Science", only some parts of it, I.E. Creationism and Evolution. Otherwise Religion and Science co-exist quite well. erm I'm religious but I'm not anti-Science. I'm not even anti-creationism. I just think it's just as stupid to think that advances in Science will "invetibly save us all!" as it is to think some all powerful all knowing being will swoop down and end all suffering.

Have you ever considered that at some point in the future, man creates God?

The denser the mass, the more it occurs. You can have a nebula that weighs 1000 solar masses, but it won't warp space time very much because it isn't very dense.

A black hole's density is infinite.

Right after class, my mind is so dense, that the very fabric of the universe is very near to tearing. weep

Bicnarok
The majority of the universe is a vacuum, so how can you tear up nothing?

Grand_Moff_Gav
Why is this turning into a religious argument. Ghey much?

Because I simply pointed out that I didn't like how he banded about the word science and also stated that sometimes things can go wrong during the process of scientific research.

It was automatically assumed that since I'm a Catholic I must have some sort of religious scruple which puts me against science...Which is of course absolute nonsense.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't even want to know what emplode means. What, you never watched Ren and Stempy? Good science lesson there..... stick out tongue

OH?? Sorry you cannot comprehend all my ways. I do try. It's the damn language on this hell of a planet, man. I do try.......LOL

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by dadudemon
Have you ever considered that at some point in the future, man creates God?

If man were to do so then it wouldn't be God, not a perfect one anyway, as imperfect beings wouldn't be able to create a perfect being imo.

But aside from that I highly doubt we'll get that far in progress before we inevitably **** ourselves up with some massive T-Virus thingie or bomb.

Grand_Moff_Gav
If man were to do so then it wouldn't be God, not a perfect one anyway, as imperfect beings wouldn't be able to create a perfect being imo.

But aside from that I highly doubt we'll get that far in progress before we inevitably **** ourselves up with some massive T-Virus thingie or bomb.

On the matter of humans wiping themselves out with bombs or disease etc. When I assume that there is no God, I find a strange comfort in knowing that the Earth will continue to live on for billions of years after we are gone.

Blax_Hydralisk
Unless we build a Death Star. 131

Grand_Moff_Gav
Then blow our own planet up?

Mind you...with Obama in chrage...

dadudemon

"Perfect" Is a relative term. It is literally a perspective. I never said man would create a perfect supreme being. I just asked you if you've ever considered that man will create God.

God is not perfect, by some definitions. He can't be. God is perfect, by other definitions.

Yes. The t-virus....I'll form Umbrella Corporation and you get to working.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by dadudemon
"Perfect" Is a relative term. It is literally a perspective. I never said man would create a perfect supreme being. I just asked you if you've ever considered that man will create God.

God is not perfect, by some definitions. He can't be. God is perfect, by other definitions.

True enough I suppose.

I knew there was more to you Mormons then you let on.

Deja~vu
Hmmm an oxymoron.

Yet making a black whole is not in our best interest, imo. Not yet, anyway. Maybe sometime in the future when we have more knowledge.

dadudemon
I knew there was more to you Mormons then you let on.

laughing

evil face

How can we rule the world with other denominations getting in the way? We'll give the J dubs the antidote, because you don't believe in the trinity either.

Jack Daniels
beer

Atlantis001
As long as they hire me to work with them I don't care if the world ends or not :/

maybe a little

Jack Daniels
11 days 1 hour and 35 minutes until LHC activation..thats alot of drinking! drunk

AngryManatee
There's already a blackhole anywho. It's called the Religion Forum.

Deja~vu
But many don't enter the vortex of dangerous space/time/mental awareness/thought capacity continuum of never ending illnesses substantiated by endless streams of delusion.

I just don't know why? blink

inimalist
so, just a reminder

the same theory which people are using to claim a black hole may form, also predicts they will be too unstable to absorb even a noticeable amount of matter.

So fear not, unless you are predicting that only half the theory is correct, which makes no sense.

Jack Daniels
8 days 16 hours 41 min What the f**k? noone can stop it?

zbucsz
didnt in the game doom, we opend up something and monsters came, if so i got my BFG rdy to pwn.

dadudemon
Originally posted by zbucsz
didnt in the game doom, we opend up something and monsters came, if so i got my BFG rdy to pwn.

Lies. You can't afford a BFG, even if it's imaginary.

zbucsz
anyone got a update on this?

Bigon
Any black hole opening on Earth would instantly destroy the entire solar system. Hmmm sounds a lot more ambitious than the reactor that merely created a temperature of 30 times hotter than the core of the Sun...

Bicnarok

Bicnarok

Jbill311
Is this where they are hoping to discover the graviton?
My friend keeps talking about it as a possible theory of everything, but I can't find much info either way on the intrawebs. (as far as proof. the theory is on wikipedia)

AngryManatee
I'm just prepping for the Xen invasion that will follow.

The Heap
Thats it. We're ****ed.

Bicnarok
I wonder if they will find the "Higgs", I personally doubt it. Its probably a lot deeper and more complicated as the scientists think.

I hope they find something though, quite intriguing stuffsmile

Jack Daniels
they will find something..lol

Grand_Moff_Gav
It would be quite funny to think it happened on the eve of a Black Man becomming President of the US...

I can hear Rev. Wright now "The White Man couldn't allow the Black Man into his White House- yes! White house- so rather than let it happen...he destroyed the world!"

Ofcourse the Reverend wouldn't have long to make that speech...but its what he would say.

Mairuzu
Jean-Claude Van Damme will save us

Blax_Hydralisk
**** Van Damme. Bruce Willis or bust. He'll drill his way into the black hole, then blow it up from the inside!

AngryManatee
It would be quite funny to think it happened on the eve of a Black Man becomming President of the US...

I can hear Rev. Wright now "The White Man couldn't allow the Black Man into his White House- yes! White house- so rather than let it happen...he destroyed the world!"

Ofcourse the Reverend wouldn't have long to make that speech...but its what he would say.

He'll probably be happy if it gets destroyed by a black hole though. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bicnarok

inimalist
He'll probably be happy if it gets destroyed by a black hole though. roll eyes (sarcastic)

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/dallas-county-meeting-turns-ra.html

Mairuzu
**** Van Damme. Bruce Willis or bust. He'll drill his way into the black hole, then blow it up from the inside! And Aerosmith will sing!?

Mairuzu

Sadako of Girth
*Builds replica of Maximillian and climbs into the suit in readiness*

KidRock
That would be a badass way to die..getting sucked into a blackhole.

Sadako of Girth
It'd definitely be interesting..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkJJeDlDEbs&feature=related

Nostalgic lolz

Deja~vu
Originally posted by KidRock
That would be a badass way to die..getting sucked into a blackhole. For sure. I say we should picket! I don't want to emplode...crybaby

zbucsz
damn this kinda sucks now when i think about football seasons bout too start, they should delay it till after.

Deja~vu
Why dabble in it all when you certainly don't know the out come. This is serious buisness after all.

Toku King
Some power should just be left alone.

Jack Daniels
screw the black hole.....one of those strange nuggets pop out and its molten planet for us quicker than a black hole!...lol...damn it I have to werk to that night...lol...

Blinky
Sounds like BS to me. Human beings give themselves way too much credit.

AngryManatee
Ok so seriously, it's just the biggest particle accelerator made evar. Quit worrying. There's a good chance that it'll further benefit our scientific knowledge, and if it doesn't discover anything, then whoo, we still collided some particles at near light speed, yo!

And as stated by other people before, if it did create a blackhole, it would be a little pussy version that ends up doing nothing more than dissipating in a small flash of gamma radiation. Your typical planet-consuming blackholes are usually of exceptional mass, as in solar masses.

Bicnarok
Update:-

CERN Announces Start Date for Hadron Collider
First circulating beam on September 10, 2008,
at the injection energy of 450 GeV (0.45 TeV).

zbucsz
What can we get if everything plans out right, we open a small black hole then what?

edit: i just wiki it i thought my head stated too hurt someone put it in lamins terms plz

AngryManatee
Should we risk creating a black hole?

M. Bison has the answer

ZiapRKY9rpY

zbucsz
this is off topic and dumb, but do we own the moon lol? i mean we where the first to land on it like the old say finders keepers.

Grand_Moff_Gav
I would like it, if the Chief Scientist on this project was a "Doctor Pepper".

Thus, whenever anyway asks this "should we risk it?" question the world could reply.

"Doctor Pepper! Whats the worst that could happen?"

Jack Daniels
Update:-

CERN Announces Start Date for Hadron Collider
First circulating beam on September 10, 2008,
at the injection energy of 450 GeV (0.45 TeV).

so that means collision is delayed also? ( I have no idea just reading on net etc...)?

iraiam
Well time keeps slowing down as we get closer to the blackhole . . .

Actually once we pass the event horizon of a black hole in just a few seconds we would be dead when we hit the singularity (if we even last that long)

but to someone outside of the event horizon it would "appear" that we would never hit the singularity because the gravity is so strong that the light we would emit cannot reach escape velocity.

I'm no physicist but I think a black hole would dissipate over time as long as it doesn't get fed any matter to gobble up.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Bigon
Any black hole opening on Earth would instantly destroy the entire solar system.

I lol'd at this.

Look, if it opens a black hole, and that's a large if, it's going to be a microscopic black hole due to the amount of matter they're slamming into each other. The event horizon would be an inch in diameter at most. Objects a meter away or more won't even feel its gravitational effects.

They've written whole papers on the LHC's safety. It's no big deal - and if it works, they might even be able to put together a Grand Unified Theory.

The benefits far outweigh the risks.

Bicnarok
No one actually knows what will happen.

No ones created a black hole before, or even been near one. In fact they are just theoretical in a factual sense.

So looks like were about to gain some new experience.

Enyalus
Actually someone on the 2nd or 3rd page already posted a link saying that we have created mini black holes in labs before.

I didn't read the article or even click on the link, but if you're interested...

Jack Daniels
if your interested grab a chic and a beer and party till the end! really just keep googling everyone!

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Enyalus
The benefits far outweigh the risks.

I hate it when people say this.

No they don't. I give a jack shit about what new opportunities in science can open up from this. **** science.

gryphon28
I think it's a to big of a risk, the outcome for this could be horrible and something we might not be able to fix

Quark_666
Originally posted by gryphon28
I think it's a to big of a risk, the outcome for this could be horrible and something we might not be able to fix Don't worry. It has the same chance of happening whether we try it or not.

inimalist
I hate it when people say this.

No they don't. I give a jack shit about what new opportunities in science can open up from this. **** science.

do scientists have the choice of not having you benefit from advances in technology?

Toku King
As opposed to . . .

Breaking all matter apart and causing the end of the planet.

Grand_Moff_Gav
If we had the ability to create a blackhole...we wouldnt have any energy problems on this planet.

Mandos
If we had the ability to create a blackhole...we wouldnt have any energy problems on this planet.

That's not true. It's not compatible.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Mandos
That's not true. It's not compatible.

My sources tell me it is.

Mandos
My sources tell me it is.

Can you link?

I know that there's a link between energy and dark hole, however, I,ve never heard of creation of energy by it in all my years of science. Or I might be mistaken, that is a probability. It has been awhile since I've looked at it. confused

Deja~vu
Now that I think of it.............you cannot make a black hole...............hahahaha.

This must be some joke.

Enyalus
Mandos: I doubt it'd be possible to harvest the energy that a black hole creates, considering that even electromagnetic radiation doesn't escape.

I don't know for sure. But that'd be a sensible conclusion.

Deja~vu
Pfft, a possible conclusion...........i.e. no black hole...haha

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>