The Joker's Scars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vinny Valentine
Where do You Believe they came from?

vincent

Gideon
Chuck Norris? I dunno. He's probably a sadomasochist.

SelinaAndBruce
I say he did it to himself so he could tell those stories.

Impediment
He kept changing the story, like he did in The Killing Joke.

"If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

The j0keR
I dont know, he told two stories and was most likely about to tell Batman a third. If I had to pick one of the stories he told, I would say the father story since he brings up his father again at the party.

SelinaAndBruce
None of it was true. The Joker only speaks to screw with people's minds. I don't think he told anyone one true thing about himself. That's what makes him so awesome we never really learned anything about him at all except that he'll do anything to create chaos.

Phantom Zone
Whowhoawhoawhoa....are these spoliers?

Kapton JAC
No

ScarletSpeed
didn't his Dad do it to him when he said "WHY SO SERIOUS??"

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by The j0keR
I dont know, he told two stories and was most likely about to tell Batman a third. If I had to pick one of the stories he told, I would say the father story since he brings up his father again at the party.

didn't see this.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
didn't his Dad do it to him when he said "WHY SO SERIOUS??"
In the Killing Joke the Joker said that if he's going to have a past he likes it to be multiple choice. I think the movie used that device. He told a different story to Rachel, one about a beautiful woman I think to draw her into it. He just tells whatever story to mess with his victim at the time. None of the stories are true, and even if one of them is you never know because he tells all of them with the same conviction as though they actually happened to him. And in the end, it doesn't matter anyway. That's what's so brilliant about him.

WrathfulDwarf
His drunken dad...prolly after he had scar his mom.

Gosh this Joker origin is really sick.

(just like Killing Joke)

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
None of it was true. The Joker only speaks to screw with people's minds. I don't think he told anyone one true thing about himself. That's what makes him so awesome we never really learned anything about him at all except that he'll do anything to create chaos.

I agree.

D_A_R_E
I don't think anything he said about his scars was true. I think he was just messing with his victims and made up something that he thought fit the situation the best. For all we know he did it to himself.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by D_A_R_E
I don't think anything he said about his scars was true. I think he was just messing with his victims and made up something that he thought fit the situation the best. For all we know he did it to himself.
Exactly. I think he did it to himself to have a scarier appearance and so he could use that whole device to freak people out with the "wanna know how I got these scars"

Impediment
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
Exactly. I think he did it to himself to have a scarier appearance and so he could use that whole device to freak people out with the "wanna know how I got these scars"

Maybe he got the scars from another party and is so insane that he can't remember how he got them? Could said injury lead to such a psychosis? Like in "The Killing Joke"?

SelinaAndBruce
Totally but we'll never know and he was making everything else up, lol

LousyBoy
Did anyone else appreciate how he was always tonguing and licking his scars. Just like when you have a mouth sore or somethin, you cant help but keep touching it with your tongue. I really liked how Heath didn't just act like the scars weren't even there, he made the character conscience of them.

Aurora
I thought that he was fantastic with his tales. Completely lying but crazy and scary!

I agree that the scars weren't just apart of his costume, he really used them through the entire movie. Fantastic really.

celestialdemon
I don't think any story the Joker told about his scars was real. I think he was just telling them either to mess with his victims' heads or he honestly doesn't remember himself. Like he said in The Killing Joke, he wants his past to be multiple choice.

BTW Aurora, LOVE the sig. Sung Hi Lee, is it?

BigRed
Originally posted by LousyBoy
Did anyone else appreciate how he was always tonguing and licking his scars. Just like when you have a mouth sore or somethin, you cant help but keep touching it with your tongue. I really liked how Heath didn't just act like the scars weren't even there, he made the character conscience of them.
One of my favorite parts of Ledger's performance of the Joker. He seriously got into every facet of the Joker. Not just the voice (which was amazing), but the movements and mannerisms and just all these little things.

I love the licking of the lips and so forth thing. Great.

SelinaAndBruce
Yeah Ledger really got into it. He captured everything

Devil King
Indeed an excellent part of it.

But it wasn't just that (not that you're saying it is) When he asks "Where is Harvey Dent?" is a clear example of how deep he got into it. And not just that, but him freaking out in joy when Batman tossed him off the ledge was terrific.

Da Joker
The more I think of Heath's Joker, the more I want to cry. Dammit...why couldn't someone like Lohan or Duff die?

But yes, his Joker was perfect. I liked how he was never particularly in a bad mood, and how nothing truly scared or worried him. It was like he was supernatural.

Okay, is anyone here besides me seriously considering going out & acting like the Joker only to be tossed away in a psyche ward for the rest of their lives?

Mairuzu
So many damn threads being made

Da Joker
Yes, I like it.

Quinzel
It's never really said since even Bob Kane didn't come up with the whole scar thing. He didn't do it for his wife, since she was killed in a freakish accident while she was pregnant with his baby in the first Batman comic Book. Those drawings show no scars. I'm not sure about his father, I doubt he did it though. He probably gave himself the Chelsea Smile since he went insane.

Da Joker
Well, we'll never know but I'm sure that it had something to do with his past. It was probably a combination of the wife & father story. He had an abusive father, grew up and had a wife, and then chewed on a razor.

roughrider
Originally posted by Quinzel
It's never really said since even Bob Kane didn't come up with the whole scar thing. He didn't do it for his wife, since she was killed in a freakish accident while she was pregnant with his baby in the first Batman comic Book.
You're referring to THE KILLING JOKE. That's as close to an origin story as we've seen, yet it's not canon. Even Joker doubts that's how his life was before...whatever happened to him.
Joker is one of a paltry few characters, with decades of comics history yet no true origin story. Others include the Phantom Stranger & Sabretooth.

SelinaAndBruce
It's best he doesn't have an origin no matter what story they give him it would be a let down.

Da Joker
Actually, most comic stories are meant to be canon...unless they are some sort of "What If" story or something that's just for fun.

RevoWution™©®
http://xid.gfxartist.com/artworks/169537?continue=true

I personally like this "origins" story the artist conjured up.

"A freak accident during one of his earlier crimes. The Joker (prior to scars) was an organized thief. Something went wrong at one of his heists. A cable snapped and tore across his cheek. Being left with a half grin, with his sense of humor he saw it only fitting to complete the smile on his own. So this picture portrays him after escaping the scene, in the back of a warehouse, tending to his wounds."

It sounds and seems realistic enough to have happened.

The picture the artist Xid has drawn from scratch is pretty damn awesome too.

Da Joker
I remember a lot of people thought they'd do the Joker's origins in this movie and have a cable or something slash right across his mouth. I thought that sounded cool but I'm actually glad that didn't happen. No origin for the Joker is what's best.

RevoWution™©®
Originally posted by Da Joker
I remember a lot of people thought they'd do the Joker's origins in this movie and have a cable or something slash right across his mouth. I thought that sounded cool but I'm actually glad that didn't happen. No origin for the Joker is what's best.

Yeah definitely. They didn't waste precious screen time and just jumped straight into the bank job. Brilliantly done.

The cable origins sounds pretty cool though, nonetheless.

Da Joker
I totally agree.

And it may sound like I'm lying, but I always accepted the idea of him applying make-up instead of being permawhite. Both are cool in their own way, but him applying it catches me more, y'know?

SelinaAndBruce
I still hate the applying the make up like it's war paint. I think that's kind of stupid, lmao. But I got over it for the sake of the movie. But I would hate if they changed it in the comics or something to where he was like that.

Da Joker
Why is it stupid? I've kind of always disliked the acid bath, anyway. It's not canon anyway.

RevoWution™©®
I like the make-up idea way better than being acid-bleached, cuz that would just seem quite unrealistic in Nolan's take on a more realistic Batman universe.

I loved how his make-up deteriorated over the course of the movie too lol.

Da Joker
Yes, due to him basically going to war with Batman. And I hate how these guys lied to me a long while back and said he never reapplies it, in which he did so at least five times.

SelinaAndBruce
Why is it stupid? I've kind of always disliked the acid bath, anyway. It's not canon anyway.
Because I like the idea that he looks that way and it's permanent and not by choice and it's the concept I've grown up on with him and I prefer it to the whole "war paint" thing which to me is kind of dumb because it never even looked like war paint anyway, it just looked like a guy dressing up as a meth clown. I like the idea that he is permanently in cased in the shell of something that should be kid friendly, a clown and yet he is so completely the opposite of that and deadly.

Da Joker
So you're telling me this

http://www.britfilms.tv/images/news/JokerJack.jpg

looks better than this?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/news/batman-the-dark-knight/Heath%20Ledger%20as%20The%20Joker.jpg

SelinaAndBruce
I have always maintained that I do not like what Heath Ledger's Joker looks like. Eve though I understand and accept it in the concept of the film I still think he looks horrible. So yes, I like almost all incarnations of the Joker better lookswise

roughrider

I like the idea of the cable slash, but yeah it wasn't necessary they show it. It's better than a bullet passing through two cheeks like in Burton's Batman.

And I like the idea of him using the makeup to cover up even more scarring than we realize. A bleaching accident should really mess you up; maybe the makeup is used to heighten his freakish look.

Da Joker
I never understood the "acid bath" because it would incinerate or horribly burn you, not give you white skin, so Ledger's Joker has the better origins.

SelinaAndBruce
I never understood the "acid bath" because it would incinerate or horribly burn you, not give you white skin, so Ledger's Joker has the better origins.
It wasn't necessarily an acid bath it was a chemical bath and it did burn

Da Joker
I know, hence the quotation marks. Still, it should've killed him, not given him white skin. Or if he did survive, he'd be missing a lot of skin.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.