Planning a trip to Scotland

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mandos
So the title says it all.

I'm going to Scotland next summer to hook up with my heritage, and I wanted to know, besides Edinburgh and Glascow, what were the best places to visit? Not the ones in touristic guides, I mean the true beauties that only scottish people know.

Since a majority of you come from there, I hope to get some suggestions.

(Scarletspeed, I forgive you for all the wrong jokes you may post on this thread. roll eyes (sarcastic) )

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by Mandos
So the title says it all.

I'm going to Scotland next summer to hook up with my heritage, and I wanted to know, besides Edinburgh and Glascow, what were the best places to visit? Not the ones in touristic guides, I mean the true beauties that only scottish people know.

Since a majority of you come from there, I hope to get some suggestions.

(Scarletspeed, I forgive you for all the wrong jokes you may post on this thread. roll eyes (sarcastic) )

what wrong jokes?no expressionno expression

okay so you will want to visit Loch Lomond and Loch Ness,

beautiful placessmile

Mairuzu
LOCH MODAN!

Mandos
They're all lakes. Can we swim there?

I forgot to add, I won't be taking any bus. It's all walking arround, possibly sometimes with angry scottish farmers on our tails.

ScarletSpeed
They're all lakes. Can we swim there?

I forgot to add, I won't be taking any bus. It's all walking arround, possibly sometimes with angry scottish farmers on our tails.

walk around...

Scotland is pretty bigno expressionlaughing out loud

where are you flying to ?

what airport?

Mandos
Not sure yet, but probably Edinburgh. Afetr a few days, I'll take a bus to Glasgow. From there, it's all the way north on foot.

(I heard Glasgow people have horrible accents. Hopefully I'll be allright)

ScarletSpeed
Not sure yet, but probably Edinburgh. Afetr a few days, I'll take a bus to Glasgow. From there, it's all the way north on foot.

Hey, our accents aren't horrible,

a little hard to understand, but not horrible.

just really weird laughing out loud.

you can't go up north from Glasgow on footno expression

it will take you weeksno expression

Mandos
Yes, I planned my trip to 3-4 weeks arround.

jaden101
i would research your family history a bit more 1st....what's your surname?...if it's a Scottish clan then look up their history and find out where they are from in Scotland and check out the areas

as for general places to visit

Dunnottar castle is amazingly beautiful and has an amazing history to boot

it's like something out of Lord of the Rings

http://www.travel-destination-pictures.com/data/media/61/dunnottar-castle-aberdeenshire_390.jpg

the scene in Braveheart where William Wallace sacks the English garrison was actually at Dunnottar castle

also Oliver Cromwell beseiged the castle and the Scottish crown jewels were lowered over the castle edge to a waiting rowing boat where a woman rowed them to safety at a nearby abbey...the jewels can now be seen in Edinburgh castle

ScarletSpeed
Go to edinburgh castle too,

ghosts and shit

Mandos
I have a Loch in my last name. So I guess my ancient clan could be associated with a lake.

And that is a beautiful picture.

ScarletSpeed
Mary kings close,

poltergeist centrallaughing out loud

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

jaden101
I have a Loch in my last name. So I guess my ancient clan could be associated with a lake.

And that is a beautiful picture.

which Loch?

~Wålshy~
when you get to scotland, you may feel the need to bury your head in the mud or gauge out your eyes and cut off your ears, but that is completely normal and happens to everyone who visits scotland. awehuhs

ScarletSpeed

Mandos
Originally posted by jaden101
which Loch?

Head

jaden101
Head

chances are your families history is from Lanarkshire somewhere around Larkhall south of Glasgow

which, to be honest, isn't the most appealing part of the country...hahaha

ScarletSpeed
chances are your families history is from Lanarkshire somewhere around Larkhall south of Glasgow

which, to be honest, isn't the most appealing part of the country...hahaha

HEYmad

but yeah, the south of Glasgow isn't exactly a meadow mhmm

Mandos
I know I am a descendant of David II, son of Robert the Bruce, and of his lineage... yeah right lol

How do you know I could come from there?.

chillybanana
Go to as many places as you can! I would recommend all of Scotland.

WrathfulDwarf
For some strange reason I always thought Mandos was from Scotland.

(no kidding, seriously I thought he was from there)

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by chillybanana
Go to as many places as you can! I would recommend all of Scotland.

REALLY ?confused

chillybanana
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
REALLY ?confused Apart from Fife, most places are acceptable, bearing in mind I'm not including the ghetto bits ie Raploch in Stirling.

Mandos
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
For some strange reason I always thought Mandos was from Scotland.

(no kidding, seriously I thought he was from there)

Really? Ha, why is that?

ScarletSpeed
Apart from Fife, most places are acceptable, bearing in mind I'm not including the ghetto bits ie Raploch in Stirling.

or the south or east,south and north of Glasgowlaughing

WrathfulDwarf
Really? Ha, why is that?

Well, from previous encounters with other members from Scotland like Korri and Discos. You're very serious in certain discussions and very direct when it comes to serious talk. But when it comes to joking you really go loose.

(I'm not patronizing you.)

chillybanana
or the south or east,south and north of Glasgowlaughing

Centre of Glasgow only laughing out loud

ScarletSpeed
Centre of Glasgow only laughing out loud

yeah,

westend only laughing out loud

ScarletSpeed
MANDOS SHOULD COME OUT TO PLAY awesome

chillybanana
Let's get him to Octopussy!

ScarletSpeed
Let's get him to Octopussy!

Octo is my placeermmad

no one can go without my permission srug

chillybanana
Surely you can make a special allowance for this once in a liftetime trip?

The Pict
Mary kings close,

poltergeist centrallaughing out loud

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

Been! w00t

While in Edinburgh head to the Castle (obviously) and the Gardens beside it. Also travel the Royal Mile, if you're here in August the Edinburgh Festival will be on and that can be lots of fun (they don't call Edinburgh the Festival City for nothing)
Also everyone in the city climbs Arthur's Seat at some point, so you should do that. It's a large hill (but not too large) in the city which is quite unusual for a large city never mind a capital so that's a must.

While in Glasgow drink Buckfast and attack someone!
Just kidding Scarletspeed....or am I? uhuh

http://edsphotoblog.com/wp-content/photos/800px/arthurs_seat_edinburgh.jpg

Climb it, Mandos.

ScarletSpeed
Surely you can make a special allowance for this once in a liftetime trip?

perhaps...mhmm

Originally posted by The Pict
Been! w00t

While in Edinburgh head to the Castle (obviously) and the Gardens beside it. Also travel the Royal Mile, if you're here in August the Edinburgh Festival will be on and that can be lots of fun (they don't call Edinburgh the Festival City for nothing)
Also everyone in the city climbs Arthur's Seat at some point, so you should do that. It's a large hill (but not too large) in the city which is quite unusual for a large city never mind a capital so that's a must.

While in Glasgow drink Buckfast and attack someone!
Just kidding Scarletspeed....or am I? uhuh

http://edsphotoblog.com/wp-content/photos/800px/arthurs_seat_edinburgh.jpg

Climb it, Mandos.

nope, you're not even kidding, not even one little bit laughing

I don't think anyone other than us Scots really gets the whole buckfast thing and what it can do to a man laughing out loud

Mandos
Well, from previous encounters with other members from Scotland like Korri and Discos. You're very serious in certain discussions and very direct when it comes to serious talk. But when it comes to joking you really go loose.

(I'm not patronizing you.)

I am the sportive intelectual type. I've spent years reading and having discussions throughout my life. I am one of the top in my province. So when it is time to speak of serious matter, I have my knowledge and understanding to put on the table, which should not be ommit. However, since it is not always the right time for such discussions, I tend to fool arround at some respectable degree. That means I always know the limit and when to stop, but unless someone seeks council or wants to have serious chatters with me, I'm more of a happy fellow and tend to seem a bit stupid to those who don't know me... of course that is ridiculous, and is quite the opposite.

But why dos this have to do with thinking like Scotsman? stick out tongue

Mandos
I am the intellectual type. I've spent years reading and having discussions throughout my life. I am one of the top in my province. So when it is time to speak of serious matter, I have my knowledge and understanding to put on the table, which should not be ommit. However, since it is not always the right time for such discussions, I tend to fool arround at some respectable degree. That means I always know the limit and when to stop, but unless someone seeks council or wants to have serious chatters with me, I'm more of a happy fellow and tend to seem a bit stupid to those who don't know me... of course that is ridiculous, and is quite the opposite.

But what does this have to do with thinking like Scotsman? stick out tongue

ScarletSpeed
I am the sportive intelectual type. I've spent years reading and having discussions throughout my life. I am one of the top in my province. So when it is time to speak of serious matter, I have my knowledge and understanding to put on the table, which should not be ommit. However, since it is not always the right time for such discussions, I tend to fool arround at some respectable degree. That means I always know the limit and when to stop, but unless someone seeks council or wants to have serious chatters with me, I'm more of a happy fellow and tend to seem a bit stupid to those who don't know me... of course that is ridiculous, and is quite the opposite.

where do you live now?

The Pict

nope, you're not even kidding, not even one little bit laughing

I don't think anyone other than us Scots really gets the whole buckfast thing and what it can do to a man laughing out loud

Probably not.

Last night a guy came into my work looking for Buckfast because his friend was over from Australia and he wanted to introduce him to Scottish "culture" rolling on floor laughing

ScarletSpeed
Probably not.

Last night a guy came into my work looking for Buckfast because his friend was over from Australia and he wanted to introduce him to Scottish "culture" rolling on floor laughing

should have just said

NO WAIIII!!!

and done this

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/kidchino05/mwi4.jpg

then shouted "TONIC FOOOKSHAKE"

did you give him it ?

cause I know you have bucky in the back mhmm

Mandos
where do you live now?

Proud canadian baby! stick out tongue

Quebec to be more precise.

FoxMeister
A trip to Scotland

As in the holiday or the accidental and unfortunate stumble sense of the word awehuhs

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by FoxMeister
A trip to Scotland

As in the holiday or the accidental and unfortunate stumble sense of the word awehuhs

I will slit your throat you retarded fox-monkey.

The Pict
should have just said

NO WAIIII!!!

and done this

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/kidchino05/mwi4.jpg

then shouted "TONIC FOOOKSHAKE"

did you give him it ?

cause I know you have bucky in the back mhmm

No I lied and said we no longer sell it! I was helping them out really.

The Pict
A trip to Scotland

As in the holiday or the accidental and incredibly fortunate stumble sense of the word awehuhs

Fixed.

ScarletSpeed
No I lied and said we no longer sell it! I was helping them out really.

yeah, no doubt they would have got in a fightsrug

FoxMeister
biscuits I went to the zoo today

ScarletSpeed
biscuits I went to the zoo today

where you belong.

jaden101
I know I am a descendant of David II, son of Robert the Bruce, and of his lineage... yeah right lol

How do you know I could come from there?.

cause that's where the name lochhead and it's vairients (lockhead, lougheed) come from

ancient Scotland was a clan structure...very rarely did people venture outside their clan homeland as clan rivalry was brutal...just look up stuff on the Campbell's and MacDonald's for an extreme example

and the rivalries sometimes still go deep today...i know several Campbells and MacDonalds and they hate each other for no other reason than the name

FoxMeister
where you belong.
I saw foxes biscuits

ScarletSpeed
cause that's where the name lochhead and it's vairients (lockhead, lougheed) come from

ancient Scotland was a clan structure...very rarely did people venture outside their clan homeland as clan rivalry was brutal...just look up stuff on the Campbell's and MacDonald's for an extreme example

when he visits he will see a modern day version of this laughing

ScarletSpeed
I saw foxes biscuits

why didn't you sneak in and live amongst them?

WrathfulDwarf

You should really visit the GDF more often. You will do some major pwnage! wink

The Pict

The Corries put together an amazing song over that sad event.

Yeah I listen to The Corries.

FoxMeister
why didn't you sneak in and live amongst them?
Because i was busy awehuhs

jaden101
The Corries put together an amazing song over that sad event.

Yeah I listen to The Corries.

who doesn't?

Mandos
You should really visit the GDF more often. You will do some major pwnage! wink

Lol, maybe I'll consider it then. big grin

Mandos

and the rivalries sometimes still go deep today...i know several Campbells and MacDonalds and they hate each other for no other reason than the name

I did not know that, and it's actually quite fascinating. Do you have links, pictures or history of this clan in particular?

ScarletSpeed

The Pict
who doesn't?

Most the people I know.

jaden101
I did not know that, and it's actually quite fascinating. Do you have links, pictures or history of this clan in particular?

http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/blclanmacdonald.htm

http://www.heartoscotland.com/Categories/CampbellsandMacDonalds.htm

http://www.ccsna.org/jsep60b.htm

Mandos
Thank you, and what about my clan? hehe

And thank you all for your time with description, pics, and council, please if you have anymore suggestions, you can post them here. I will really use what you will tell me. And maybe we'll cross eachother there, unknowingly lol.

jaden101
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/lochhead-family-crest.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Lochhead-Name-History-Ancestry-com/dp/B000WD7IGO

Grand_Moff_Gav

Shhhhhhhhh dont tell him that! embarrasment

Mandos
lol, oups.

Syren

Oh, honey. That really doesn't suit you. Be a nice boy petpet

I so thought you meant the soup makers and the fast food outlet.

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by Syren
Oh, honey. That really doesn't suit you. Be a nice boy petpet

I so thought you meant the soup makers and the fast food outlet.

fox knows I was kiddingsmile

so speaking of trips to Scotland, when you coming down ?ha-son

chillmeistergen
I'm apparently descended from the McLean clan, don't know anything about the clans, though.

Mandos
fox knows I was kiddingsmile

so speaking of trips to Scotland, when you coming down ?ha-son

Next summer, probably the whole month of august.

Syren
He meant me eyes

ScarletSpeed
He meant me eyes

question remains unanswered mhmm

Syren
question remains unanswered mhmm

My bad mhmm

I'm never visiting Scotland. I hate the accent, especially the Glaswegian accent. You know why, it's some association thing. No offence erm

ScarletSpeed
My bad mhmm

I'm never visiting Scotland. I hate the accent, especially the Glaswegian accent. You know why, it's some association thing. No offence erm

sad

Grand_Moff_Gav
I hate the accent, especially the Glaswegian accent.

I knew they'd be our doom!

jaden101
He meant me eyes

if he meant you he'd have said "going"...not "coming"...well...not until after "going"

ScarletSpeed
if he meant you he'd have said "going"...not "coming"...well...not until after "going"

I did mean herlaughing out loud

jaden101
get your act together then for God's sake man...hahaha

ScarletSpeed
get your act together then for God's sake man...hahaha

cute

dadudemon
Go to edinburgh castle too,

ghosts and shit

Yes, I'm sure he can shit in the castle. Can he call it "a royal shit"? ("noble shit" just doesn't have as nice of a ring to it.)

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yes, I'm sure he can shit in the castle. Can he call it "a royal shit"? ("noble shit" just doesn't have as nice of a ring to it.)

why not awesome

Mandos
I've never pooped in a castle. Why not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.