Dear parents of employed teenagers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lightningrod
Dear Parents of Employed Teenagers,

As you undoubtedly know by now, your son Johnny or your daughter, Jane, has a job. You know this all too well because you are the one stuck behind the wheel of the car at ungodly hours of the morning like 5 AM or 6 AM, dropping off said kid. I apologize, but operational needs being what they are, someone's gotta stock shelves, flip hash browns and make coffee for me to drink.

Now as a parent, you believe you have all sorts of rights that you can enforce upon me, the manager. Let me clear this issue up right now: You don't.

Here is my short list of things that bug me (and probably 99% of all managers everywhere):

- Calling in sick for your kid. If at 14 one is old enough to work in this province, then one is old enough to call in sick. Unless your kid is in a coma, you are not doing your kid any favours. It actually is insulting to us, the management, and to the kid. Now I realize that you have heard all sorts of stories about how big of a prick I am to those calling in sick. Let me assure you those are gross exaggerations. I'm very understanding - unless you're calling in for your kid. Then not so much.

- Getting mad when I call your house early in the morning to find out where Johnny/Jane is. Tell your kid to invest in an alarm clock, cell phone and act more responsible. I have a job to do too, and calling early in the morning isn't my favourite part of it. So a little understanding here okay?

- When your kid forgets to book off the family holiday, don't get mad at me. I am not a psychic or God. If the family holiday is "last minute", then there is not a very good chance that it can be accommodated. If you see the look on your kid's face as he/she tells me that you sprung this last minute, you would never be so inconsiderate again in your life.

- Don't threaten me by claiming that you know the owner of the company. If you want to threaten me, pull a knife, a gun or a heck, even a pen. I haven't actually met the owner of the company more than a couple times (and I've been employed there a lot longer than your kid). The chances of you knowing the owner are not that good anyhow. So that threat frightens me as much as a litter of newly born kittens.

- Asking your kid to ask for better shifts - eg not early morning or late night shifts on the weekends - because you only have two days off and you want to sleep in. Sorry, I forget what weekends are like - I hear they are great though. I also hear that misery loves company. We try to have fair rotation. Sometimes that means some weekends your kid gets the short end of the stick. It can't be helped.

- Lastly, don't come in and try to fight your child's battles. It's embarrassing for your kid and you. I know the fruit of your loins are completely great and awesome, but having a job is about being responsible. If I am standing my ground, it's not because I dislike your kid or you or life or eggplant - it's because if I don't, then I'll have 39 other people trying to run the show their own way. And that gets old pretty fast.

So in summation: Parents, I am not a glorified babysitter - don't treat me that way. Your kid has this job to make up for that allowance that you unceremoniously yanked from under them when they turned 13. You said, "Go get a job." You too have to live with the consequences. None of which are really my problem.

Sincerely,

The Manager

Kelly_Bean
Originally posted by Lightningrod

As you undoubtedly know by now, your son Johnny or your daughter, Jane, has a job. You know this all too well because you are the one stuck behind the wheel of the car at ungodly hours of the morning like 5 AM or 6 AM, dropping off said kid. I apologize, but operational needs being what they are, someone's gotta stock shelves, flip hash browns and make coffee for me to drink.

Now as a parent, you believe you have all sorts of rights that you can enforce upon me, the manager. Let me clear this issue up right now: You don't.

Here is my short list of things that bug me (and probably 99% of all managers everywhere):

- Calling in sick for your kid. If at 14 one is old enough to work in this province, then one is old enough to call in sick. Unless your kid is in a coma, you are not doing your kid any favours. It actually is insulting to us, the management, and to the kid. Now I realize that you have heard all sorts of stories about how big of a prick I am to those calling in sick. Let me assure you those are gross exaggerations. I'm very understanding - unless you're calling in for your kid. Then not so much.

- Getting mad when I call your house early in the morning to find out where Johnny/Jane is. Tell your kid to invest in an alarm clock, cell phone and act more responsible. I have a job to do too, and calling early in the morning isn't my favourite part of it. So a little understanding here okay?

- When your kid forgets to book off the family holiday, don't get mad at me. I am not a psychic or God. If the family holiday is "last minute", then there is not a very good chance that it can be accommodated. If you see the look on your kid's face as he/she tells me that you sprung this last minute, you would never be so inconsiderate again in your life.

- Don't threaten me by claiming that you know the owner of the company. If you want to threaten me, pull a knife, a gun or a heck, even a pen. I haven't actually met the owner of the company more than a couple times (and I've been employed there a lot longer than your kid). The chances of you knowing the owner are not that good anyhow. So that threat frightens me as much as a litter of newly born kittens.

- Asking your kid to ask for better shifts - eg not early morning or late night shifts on the weekends - because you only have two days off and you want to sleep in. Sorry, I forget what weekends are like - I hear they are great though. I also hear that misery loves company. We try to have fair rotation. Sometimes that means some weekends your kid gets the short end of the stick. It can't be helped.

- Lastly, don't come in and try to fight your child's battles. It's embarrassing for your kid and you. I know the fruit of your loins are completely great and awesome, but having a job is about being responsible. If I am standing my ground, it's not because I dislike your kid or you or life or eggplant - it's because if I don't, then I'll have 39 other people trying to run the show their own way. And that gets old pretty fast.

So in summation: Parents, I am not a glorified babysitter - don't treat me that way. Your kid has this job to make up for that allowance that you unceremoniously yanked from under them when they turned 13. You said, "Go get a job." You too have to live with the consequences. None of which are really my problem.

Sincerely,

The Manager
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/LOTRgirl4life/Powell.jpg

Strangelove

Sincerely,

The Manager Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/LOTRgirl4life/Powell.jpg http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/42Strangelove/niggaplease.jpg

Kelly_Bean
Originally posted by Strangelove
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/42Strangelove/niggaplease.jpg
crylaugh I hadn't seen that one yet.

Strangelove
I made it 131

Lightningrod
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/LOTRgirl4life/Powell.jpg

I was bored big grin

Kelly_Bean
I made it 131
Very nice!
I was bored big grin
It seems so!!

Lightningrod
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
Very nice!

It seems so!!

it is my monthly post big grin
I only come here once a month now

dadudemon

Sincerely,

The Manager

I dislike the crippling type of parents, the "my kid can do no wrong" type of parents, and the "my kids job needs to be planned around my schedule" type of parents. I like your post. yes

What it comes down to, I just dislike idiots. Idiots who lack the ability to see beyond their own two damned feet.

Rogue Jedi
get a job.

Lightningrod
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
get a job.
laughing out loud

chillmeistergen
I've worked these type of jobs so much, the managers are enormously annoying - I have never met more unintelligent people than I met in the management of said jobs.

You don't want to deal with the parents calling in for them? fine then, hire an 18 year old. Oh, but no, given the fact you'll have to pay minimum wage, that's out of the question.

dadudemon
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I've worked these type of jobs so much, the managers are enormously annoying - I have never met more unintelligent people than I met in the management of said jobs.

You don't want to deal with the parents calling in for them? fine then, hire an 18 year old. Oh, but no, given the fact you'll have to pay minimum wage, that's out of the question.

Are the labor laws that different in the UK?

I'm not aware of all the laws in the US, but I think 14 year olds can work at a minimum of minimum wage. At that, there are laws on what times they can actually work. There are also child labor laws here which is why some people get in an uproar about overseas child labor for American owned (and operated) businesses.

I couldn't work past 10:30 during the school year at my first job when I was 16. I think that was a municipal law which was derived from the curfew enforcement. (I believe that during the week, curfew was 11:00 PM, ergo the minors not being able to work past 10:30.)

chillmeistergen

dadudemon

Peach
Originally posted by dadudemon
Are the labor laws that different in the UK?

I'm not aware of all the laws in the US, but I think 14 year olds can work at a minimum of minimum wage. At that, there are laws on what times they can actually work. There are also child labor laws here which is why some people get in an uproar about overseas child labor for American owned (and operated) businesses.

I couldn't work past 10:30 during the school year at my first job when I was 16. I think that was a municipal law which was derived from the curfew enforcement. (I believe that during the week, curfew was 11:00 PM, ergo the minors not being able to work past 10:30.)

I know, at least in my state, if you want to get a job at 15 you need to get a permit from your high school (the reasoning being that school is more important than some extra money), or you have to wait until you're 16. And then you're only allowed to work so many hours a week and until a certain time.

I had to have my mom call me in for work once a couple of years ago. However, I think I had a good excuse - I'd just gotten out of the emergency room and was on far too many painkillers to be coherent.

That's about right for minimum wage in the US at that time. In 2005 (when you were 16) minimum wage was $5.15 an hour. In 2005, I think it was very close to $2 per pound.

The standard of living is similar in the UK...but it depends on where you were living. I'd have to make well over $100,000 a year in L.A. for similar housing to equate my here in Oklahoma. I'm sure most of the UK falls somewhere between good old OK and down town L.A. (or Manhattan...)

Hah, $5.15...that's nuts. It was $6.50 here then, it's $7.50 now. I make $8.25 right now.

Strangelove
Minimum wage goes up to $6.55/hour today.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Peach
I had to have my mom call me in for work once a couple of years ago. However, I think I had a good excuse - I'd just gotten out of the emergency room and was on far too many painkillers to be coherent.

That's a pretty damned good reason to me. I think that's what the thread starter was getting at...?

I "heard" about that. I didn't know it was happening today, though. Should've been there a long time ago, imo.

Peach
That's a pretty damned good reason to me. I think that's what the thread starter was getting at...?

I "heard" about that. I didn't know it was happening today, though. Should've been there a long time ago, imo.

Yeah, I can't understand a parent getting involved with their kid's job unless there was some sort of circumstances like that. But that's just me, and I prefer my mom stays out of my affairs as much as possible.

That's still really low.

Strangelove
America's a cheap-ass country.

And Indiana's a cheap-ass state laughing

Peach
America's a cheap-ass country.

And Indiana's a cheap-ass state laughing

laughing out loud

I just noticed that it's apparently $7.75 in Illinois now, I didn't realise it went up again.

Strangelove
Yeah, Indiana's is just linked to the federal minimum.

chillmeistergen
That's about right for minimum wage in the US at that time. In 2005 (when you were 16) minimum wage was $5.15 an hour. In 2005, I think it was very close to $2 per pound.

The standard of living is similar in the UK...but it depends on where you were living. I'd have to make well over $100,000 a year in L.A. for similar housing to equate my here in Oklahoma. I'm sure most of the UK falls somewhere between good old OK and down town L.A. (or Manhattan...)

Every thing's cheaper in U.S, at least in my experience. Last time I was there literally everything was half the price that it is here. I have a friend who has just returned from L.A as well, he reckons that he lived quite comfortably on very little money.

Peach
Every thing's cheaper in U.S, at least in my experience. Last time I was there literally everything was half the price that it is here. I have a friend who has just returned from L.A as well, he reckons that he lived quite comfortably on very little money.

Oh, England is so much more expensive than the US. I remember when I was there, thinking things were pricey before I doubled it to see how much I was actually spending in dollars. I think I spent over $100 on trains alone when I was there two summers ago.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Peach
Oh, England is so much more expensive than the US. I remember when I was there, thinking things were pricey before I doubled it to see how much I was actually spending in dollars. I think I spent over $100 on trains alone when I was there two summers ago.

Yeah, it's ridiculously expensive. Public transport here is an absolute piss take as well, so expensive and so shit. Every where I've ever been has had better public transport, except for obvious exceptions - Indonesia, Morocco etc.

dadudemon

I can't find any international cost of living calculators. However, I did find a site with recent data as late as January 2008. It gave a relative comparison of 145% and an index value of 155% as measured from the average cost of living in the U.S. to the average cost of living in the U.K.

Found here:

http://aoprals.state.gov/content.asp?content_id=186&menu_id=81

Meaning, one would have to, on average, get a 55% raise in order to live in the U.K IF they were living in a place that was assessed in the 100% cost of living as compared to the average cost of living in the U.S. In other words, an average dude, by both US location and income, moves to the UK by the UK's average locatio and income costs, would have to get a 55% raise in comparable currency.

Also, as far as I was aware, London is the most expensive place to live in the world.

But, generally, the UK falls somewhere between L.A and OKC...like I was saying earlier. I'm thinking more in housing terms, really. However, I may be in error.

Indeed.

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=50000&city1=54055000&city2=50644000

I am in error.

It looks like the UK averages out to about the same as living in L.A.

chillmeistergen
I can't find any international cost of living calculators. However, I did find a site with recent data as late as January 2008. It gave a relative comparison of 145% and an index value of 155% as measured from the average cost of living in the U.S. to the average cost of living in the U.K.

Found here:

http://aoprals.state.gov/content.asp?content_id=186&menu_id=81

Meaning, one would have to, on average, get a 55% raise in order to live in the U.K IF they were living in a place that was assessed in the 100% cost of living as compared to the average cost of living in the U.S. In other words, an average dude, by both US location and income, moves to the UK by the UK's average locatio and income costs, would have to get a 55% raise in comparable currency.

Also, as far as I was aware, London is the most expensive place to live in the world.

But, generally, the UK falls somewhere between L.A and OKC...like I was saying earlier. I'm thinking more in housing terms, really. However, I may be in error.

Indeed.

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=50000&city1=54055000&city2=50644000

I am in error.

It looks like the UK averages out to about the same as living in L.A.

Yeah, I'm not really sure how much it costs to buy houses in L.A. I was looking up rental prices on apartments earlier, though, as I'm thinking of moving to the U.S to go to film school and all that - found some dirt cheap apartments in CA, like $799 dollars a month in Laguna Beach.

dadudemon
Yeah, I'm not really sure how much it costs to buy houses in L.A. I was looking up rental prices on apartments earlier, though, as I'm thinking of moving to the U.S to go to film school and all that - found some dirt cheap apartments in CA, like $799 dollars a month in Laguna Beach.

Holy shit. That IS cheap.

I was hard pressed to find deals that good in the suburbs unless they were really old and shitty.

Seriously, dude, best of luck on your search and at school. That is AWESOME that you're going to pursue your dreams. (When you make it to the top, don't forget to make your children call their own ass into work when they want to hang out with their friends instead.)

Lightningrod
Arizona- $6.90 per hour yet this is still pretty low with today's inflation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.