"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" - good or bad advice?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deja~vu
Why or why not and your experience.

Quiero Mota
It's definitely good advice. You can't learn their weakness unless you befriend and analyze them.

Bardock42
Definitely bad advise. People close to you can stab you.

Mindship
Depends on the nature of your "enemies." If you mean people who openly dislike you, and nothing more, then forget about them and just enjoy close friends.

However, if your enemies are plotters, if they are prone to aggressive action against people they don't like, for whatever reason, then I'd keep 'em close. As another saying goes, for evil to triumph, good only has to do nothing.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42

Or give you AIDS.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindship
Depends on the nature of your "enemies." If you mean people who openly dislike you, and nothing more, then forget about them and just enjoy close friends.

However, if your enemies are plotters, if they are prone to aggressive action against people they don't like, for whatever reason, then I'd keep 'em close. As another saying goes, for evil to triumph, good only has to do nothing.

Or fail trying.

Deja~vu
If believe your friends know more about you and can turn on you. They know you trust them. "Et tu Brutus?" They are the ones to worry about. Your enemies, you already know where they stand.

I believe it's good advise.

chillmeistergen
I don't think the average person really has that many enemies, it's certainly not something that keeps me up at night.

=Tired Hiker=
ditto.

chewbacca_47
I can't say that I agree or disagree, but I want to chime in that I had a messed up experience where my high school principal gave me that advice as he was asking me to rat out some friends who defaced a wall.

chillmeistergen
Woah, what a messed up experience.

lord xyz
I treat my enemies like a crap house. Move.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Deja~vu
If believe your friends know more about you and can turn on you. They know you trust them. "Et tu Brutus?" They are the ones to worry about. Your enemies, you already know where they stand.

I believe it's good advise.

The quote itself as well as what you said above is very much what Sun Tzu said in Art of War.
I believe the quote is also attributed to him, although I do not think it was him who said it.

What is implied by the statement is that knowing your enemy is your biggest strenght over them.

It is only your enemies who speak the truth, in a sense. You know your enemies dislike you and mean you harm, that is why they are your enemies. Your friends, however, you don't truly know what they think, and are those people who know you the best, hence are bigger threat.

Which ties in with what I said above.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
The quote itself as well as what you said above is very much what Sun Tzu said in Art of War.
I believe the quote is also attributed to him, although I do not think it was him who said it.

What is implied by the statement is that knowing your enemy is your biggest strenght over them.

It is only your enemies who speak the truth, in a sense. You know your enemies dislike you and mean you harm, that is why they are your enemies. Your friends, however, you don't truly know what they think, and are those people who know you the best, hence are bigger threat.

Which ties in with what I said above. yes You are correct.

Devil King
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I don't think the average person really has that many enemies, it's certainly not something that keeps me up at night.

Well in all fairness, why would other people's enemies keep you up at night?

Quiero Mota

Unless you live on a desert island in complete solitude, you have enemies. Guaranteed.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Devil King
Well in all fairness, why would other people's enemies keep you up at night?

Hoho, very good.

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Unless you live on a desert island in complete solitude, you have enemies. Guaranteed.

Well, it depends what you mean by enemies. I'm sure there are people around who dislike me, but I would consider someone an enemy if they were to actually do something about that dislike, like attack me, or go out of their way to screw up my life.

ragesRemorse
I think its good advice if you are either, living in ancient times or the dictator of an ancient civilization.

Quiero Mota
Hoho, very good.

Well, it depends what you mean by enemies. I'm sure there are people around who dislike me, but I would consider someone an enemy if they were to actually do something about that dislike, like attack me, or go out of their way to screw up my life.

That's what I mean. In any group, be it a classroom, or the workplace, there's always gonna be someone who doesn't like you or you don't like. That's just the way group dynamics work. And why do they have to attack you, or do something brazen before considering them an enemy? The ones who smile at your face are the most dangerous.

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I think its good advice if you are either, living in ancient times or the dictator of an ancient civilization.

Its applicable today, otherwise undercover work and espionage wouldn't exist.

chillmeistergen
That's what I mean. In any group, be it a classroom, or the workplace, there's always gonna be someone who doesn't like you or you don't like. That's just the way group dynamics work. And why do they have to attack you, or do something brazen before considering them an enemy? The ones who smile at your face are the most dangerous.

Well, I wouldn't consider them an enemy unless they've done something worthy of that word. I don't consider them not liking me being worthy of the word, because it really doesn't matter to me if someone doesn't like me, why would it?

Quiero Mota
Well, I wouldn't consider them an enemy unless they've done something worthy of that word. I don't consider them not liking me being worthy of the word, because it really doesn't matter to me if someone doesn't like me, why would it?

Someone who likes you, isn't going to stab you. Or sabotage something of yours.

chillmeistergen
Someone who likes you, isn't going to stab you. Or sabotage something of yours.

Neither's someone who just doesn't like me, like doesn't my personality. There are people I don't like, but I wouldn't wish anything bad on them, or do anything to hurt them. If they do something to harm me, then they become an enemy, before that they're just someone that doesn't like me.

shiv
The most beneficient usage of that phrase is to quote The Hoff: "keep your scanner peeled."

this will protect you from the amoral who are not your enemy but Will act as an enemy depending on whether or not they think it will be amusing

parenthesis
Someone who likes you, isn't going to stab you. Or sabotage something of yours. What if they're possesed or bullied into it?

Quiero Mota
Then it sucks to be me.

ragesRemorse

Its applicable today, otherwise undercover work and espionage wouldn't exist.

That is different though. The phrase, keep your friends close and your enemies closer, does not suggest that you go make enemies just to have enemies to keep close.

Quiero Mota
I never said it was.

Symmetric Chaos

But they are continent for shanking if they get out of hand, personally, I think 12.7mm of lead going through his head at 850m/s sends a more effective message.

Quiero Mota
laughing out loud

ragesRemorse
I never said it was.

Then, what are undercover cops doing when they befriend a complete stranger that was neither their enemy or friend?

Quiero Mota
Then, what are undercover cops doing when they befriend a complete stranger that was neither their enemy or friend?

You've never read The Art of War, have you? Deceit and subterfuge is a part of this philosophy. The cop may not hate personally the gang, but make no mistake about it, they are enemies. Hate is not required for someone to be considered an enemy.

chillmeistergen
One philosophy is not the be all and end all of the definition, though. I'd consider it a personal thing who my enemies may be, the idea that you think you can tell me who my enemies are, because you've read a bit of philosophy on it is ridiculous.

inimalist
someone who goes out of their way to hurt you is a douche bag, not an enemy.

enemy insinuates that you are participating in some t-i-t for tat struggle.

(oh ya, going through the censor, but ya, its a phrase, bitches)

Quiero Mota
It can be personal.

King Kandy
Personally I prefer to be as far away from my enemies as possible.

Deja~vu
Friends can turn into enemies without you even knowing it. Maybe they might be jealous. Maybe they would love to have your girl. Maybe they would like your job. Maybe they would start rumors and deny it all along.

chillmeistergen
I don't really think jealousy is a trait that warrants them becoming an enemy. I'm jealous of a few of my friends, what does it matter? If they act on it in a malicious way, then yeah, I would consider them an enemy.

Symmetric Chaos
Friends can turn into enemies without you even knowing it. Maybe they might be jealous. Maybe they would love to have your girl. Maybe they would like your job. Maybe they would start rumors and deny it all along.

That's why you have to remove your friends with preemptive surgical strikes.

Deja~vu
Yep, and that is where "red flags" come in. Though many times there aren't any warning to what is lurking within someone else..They know your weakness, your faults, you defenses and how you would react. You would trust them with your most inner thoughts and ideas, your worries and suspicions. They would know you so very well and be the last person you would suspect. They would be the ones that you thought were "keeping your back."

ragesRemorse
You've never read The Art of War, have you? Deceit and subterfuge is a part of this philosophy. The cop may not hate personally the gang, but make no mistake about it, they are enemies. Hate is not required for someone to be considered an enemy.

Yes,i have read it, but It's Bullshit. Unless you are involved with the military and have very high rankings, tthis applies to nothing in modern day life.

Croatoa
In a more practical sense, the gang is an enemy of the state, of the governing laws, and it is the police's duty to uphold that law and act on behalf of it.

Your friends have the potential to do the most damage, but they are already very close, and unless you lack awareness there shouldn't be a problem. I'd say keep your enemies closer, learn them, predict their next move, stuff like that.

Robtard
There's a huge difference between an enemy and someone who may dislike or hate you, people really need to differentiate between the two.

shiv
An enemy is someone who poses an immediate threat to your way of life.

A co worker who frames you for mass murder to beat you to a promotion three weeks before your wedding day to Miss Universe is an ENEMY

A newspaper which slanders your integrity is an enemy

An individual who killed your Master twenty years ago is an Enemy

Someone you've never met who spills boiling coffee on your boobs and laughs and points when you scream is an Enemy

People who gossip and spread rumors are your enemy

You are Your worst ENEMY

Know thyself and how you interact in relationships.

inimalist
Originally posted by shiv
An enemy is someone who poses an immediate threat to your way of life.

A co worker who frames you for mass murder to beat you to a promotion three weeks before your wedding day to Miss Universe is an ENEMY

A newspaper which slanders your integrity is an enemy

An individual who killed your Master twenty years ago is an Enemy

Someone you've never met who spills boiling coffee on your boobs and laughs and points when you scream is an Enemy

People who gossip and spread rumors are your enemy

no, these are mean and nasty people

for them to be your enemy you must be engaging them. You are fighting against the person threatening you, you are combating the slander of the paper.

I think the term "enemy" requires this distinction...

shiv
inimalist
Don't Vote eh.

if there was an election for locall councillor and you stood to lose money if candidate B took office and denied a redevelopment project which you had invested in

Doesn't not voting ie not ENGAGING make you your own enemy in the politics of your local area?

WrathfulDwarf
If by enemy you mean people who doesn't like me.

Hohoho....I got tons of Trolls and angry idiots under my belt.

Personally I like Aseop's fable of the Dolphin and the lion:

inimalist
Originally posted by shiv
inimalist
Don't Vote eh.

if there was an election for locall councillor and you stood to lose money if candidate B took office and denied a redevelopment project which you had invested in

Doesn't not voting ie not ENGAGING make you your own enemy in the politics of your local area?

wow

um, to begin with, asking why I don't vote might be important

yes, if the political system was actively trying to.... destroy me? I don't know, then to them, I would be an enemy.

I'm actually not trying to do anything to the politics. I know for a fact my interests are best served by not voting for corrupt politicians or supporting a flawed system. We can disagree of course, but this is a personal value based judgement, and I would find it rather insulting if you presumed to tell me what was best for me.

The fact that I am not engaged in destroying politics means that it is not my enemy.

I am not my own enemy because I am not actively working against my interests. If my interests were actually served by voting and I actively prevented myself from voting, then maybe, but the presumption that voting is in my best interests is not true in the first place.

lil bitchiness
Yes,i have read it, but It's Bullshit. Unless you are involved with the military and have very high rankings, tthis applies to nothing in modern day life.

I have to disagree.

Sun Tzu clearly states that it is psychology and intelligence which will win you a war, and not armies. This is therefore literaly as well as figuratively.

I am looking for a particular quote by Sun Tzu in regards to how to go about enemy based on how equally you're matched, but I can't seem to find it to illustrate my point.

Art of War is so genius because it is so timeless and because it can be applied today, now, in real life and on small scale.

=Tired Hiker=
I have to disagree.

Sun Tzu clearly states that it is psychology and intelligence which will win you a war, and not armies. This is therefore literaly as well as figuratively.

I am looking for a particular quote by Sun Tzu in regards to how to go about enemy based on how equally you're matched, but I can't seem to find it to illustrate my point.

Art of War is so genius because it is so timeless and because it can be applied today, now, in real life and on small scale.

Years ago you told me you wanted to rule the world . . . you weren't kidding were you? confused

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Years ago you told me you wanted to rule the world . . . you weren't kidding were you? confused

Well no, of course not. I never lied to you. Check my profile for 'Interests'.

=Tired Hiker=

Lils, when the time comes . . . when you are in control of everything . . . will you still acknowledge me? Can I tell people I know you? embarrasment

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Lils, when the time comes . . . when you are in control of everything . . . will you still acknowledge me? Can I tell people I know you? embarrasment

You won't have to. I'll make you in charge of naming some of the countries in the New World, so everyone will know who you are.

shiv
Oh do Tell lil B'

Deja~vu
I want some countries too!! Make me a diplomat or something.

Mmmm, nice title. Deb the diplomat. ...yes, yes, I like it. Make it so, Picard. big grin

Besides, it's my thread.

Robtard

I remember that and if you'll recall, I said you had to grow a menacing mustache first. Have you?

Robtard
I want some countries too!! Make me a diplomat or something.

Mmmm, nice title. Deb the diplomat. ...yes, yes, I like it. Make it so, Picard. big grin

Besides, it's my thread.

Picard says "make it so"; usually to his Number One. Amateurs.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Robtard
Picard says "make it so"; usually to his Number One. Amateurs. Getting the panties in a bunch, eh? Okay, I should have used some quotations, but hey........it's me........ laughing out loud

Chuck you farley and your whole fam damly. stick out tongue

I am a Trekkie btw....*waits for stones to be thrown*

anaconda
nah kick your enemy`s ass and go on

Deja~vu
LOL

Deja~vu
watch your back, I'd say...

anaconda
my friends do

Deja~vu
Then you are a lucky man. Many friends have hidden agendas. Yet, I find this more in female circles.

That's why I don't have many female friends.

chillmeistergen
Either that, or you're a complete mentalist who imagines such agendas.

Grand_Moff_Gav

laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.