Joker Casting

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Da Joker
Okay, I don't really want Heath's Joker to be recast in this franchise, so, if there's a new Batman franchise not to far down the line (about 10 years are Nolan's third movie comes out) and they use the Joker, who would be some of your options?

For me I'd say:

Cillian Murphy
http://upload.moldova.org/movie/actors/c/cillian_murphy/thumbnails/tn2_cillian_murphy_3.jpg

Johnny Depp
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2007/11/23-End%20of%20Month/johnny_depp.jpg

Okay, I'm not a real big fan of Depp, but him as the Joker is growing on me, so if he got the role I wouldn't be pissed at all.

So, how would you guys choose?

xNIXSONx
Cillian Murphy is the scarecrow in Nolanverse, im sure you know that, i dont want him to reprise a role in a batman movie as a different villain though.

Johnny Depp, he's alright, he can do almost anything. But id rather see someone else

Crispin Glover
Sean Penn
Lachy Hulme
Paul Bettany

were rumoured and pitched for the role of Joker, although WB said they were not interested in Depp or Glover. I would probably pick Bettany or Glover in my opinion, and if we ever see another Joker, after TDK trilogy, i wanna see TAS's Joker.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Da Joker
Okay, I don't really want Heath's Joker to be recast in this franchise, so, if there's a new Batman franchise not to far down the line (about 10 years are Nolan's third movie comes out) and they use the Joker, who would be some of your options?

For me I'd say:

Cillian Murphy
http://upload.moldova.org/movie/actors/c/cillian_murphy/thumbnails/tn2_cillian_murphy_3.jpg

Johnny Depp
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2007/11/23-End%20of%20Month/johnny_depp.jpg

Okay, I'm not a real big fan of Depp, but him as the Joker is growing on me, so if he got the role I wouldn't be pissed at all.

So, how would you guys choose?

Cillian stays as Scarecrow and Depp no thanks. Besides I can't see a 60 yeard old Depp as Joker. If Batman is rebooted again in 10 years and I'm not thinking that they will be, in ten years The Joker will be played by someone who is a hot young actor

BackFire
Crispin Glover is my first choice. I think he'd be excellent.

Adrien Brody could also be great.

tlbauerle
Johnny Depp for certain could pull off a good Joker and fill Ledger's shoes completely.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by tlbauerle
Johnny Depp for certain could pull off a good Joker and fill Ledger's shoes completely.

dunno bout Depp man. I liked the original Willy Wonka Gene Wilder over Depp as Wonka. Better songs also.

Da Joker
Depp would never in his life be able to surpass Heath's performance. Now, I've never seen Adrien Brody as Joker material, but maybe it's just me.

xNIXSONx
Depp would never in his life be able to surpass Heath's performance. Now, I've never seen Adrien Brody as Joker material, but maybe it's just me.

i somewhat agree with you about Depp, although his take on Joker would probably be different than Ledger's. I also do not see what Adrien Brody could offer. But then again, im sure alot of people didnt see what Heath had to offer even with the teaser trailer with a voice clip, til they saw TDK.

I didnt know what to expect from Heath either. I went with the "In Ledger We Trust" thing. and trusted Nolan.

So its hard to tell what actors will offer to the Joker role and whether what they offer will be good or not

Da Joker
True, I'm sure that there are a lot of good choices out there, but I'd rather wait for a new series to see what they do with the character rather than get someone who will more than likely try copying what Heath did.

Btw, if I did go into acting, I'd love to play Joker once I got a little older even though I'm black. I guess if I did it, it'd have to be something where it's not an origina story at all. Then again, I doubt I'll be an actor.

xNIXSONx
True, I'm sure that there are a lot of good choices out there, but I'd rather wait for a new series to see what they do with the character rather than get someone who will more than likely try copying what Heath did.

Btw, if I did go into acting, I'd love to play Joker once I got a little older even though I'm black. I guess if I did it, it'd have to be something where it's not an origina story at all. Then again, I doubt I'll be an actor.

follow your dreams

WrathfulDwarf
Daniel Day Lewis gets the top choice for me.

http://www.4outof10.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/daniel_day_lewis.jpg

http://blog.silive.com/entertainment_impact_tvfilm/2007/12/medium_Film%20Daniel%20Day%20Lewis.jpg

Feel free to photoshop.

Da Joker
How old is he?

BackFire
Daniel Day Lewis would be amazing, but the sudden and drastic change of age would be a bit jarring.

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by BackFire
Daniel Day Lewis would be amazing, but the sudden and drastic change of age would be a bit jarring.

wouldn't really notice it under all the make up.

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Daniel Day Lewis gets the top choice for me.

http://www.4outof10.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/daniel_day_lewis.jpg

http://blog.silive.com/entertainment_impact_tvfilm/2007/12/medium_Film%20Daniel%20Day%20Lewis.jpg

Feel free to photoshop.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/kidchino05/danieldayjoker.jpg

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/kidchino05/danieldayjoker.jpg

wow...that is really weird lol

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Wurd to the crew who are thinking of Daniel Day-Lewis. He would be exceptional, or even Javier Bardem.

Da Joker
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
wouldn't really notice it under all the make up.

Doubt we'll see the Joker again in this series anyway.

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
wow...that is really weird lol

yeah laughing out loud

agreed

BruceSkywalker

I concur

Da Joker
Nolan respected Heath's performance, and the only way in hell this Joker will get recast is if another director gets attached, and we know that aint happening.

BruceSkywalker
Nolan respected Heath's performance, and the only way in hell this Joker will get recast is if another director gets attached, and we know that aint happening.

I agree. I don't see Nolan leaving anytime soon

Da Joker
Or the Joker returning, because Nolan had ultra respect for Ledger.

WrathfulDwarf
How old is he?

I'm not sure....but the man is a great actor. He has done some very good characters in his time.

Da Joker
I can see he's popular and as much as I'd hate a Joker recasting for this series, I could see him doing it. I'd much rather he do it in a new series if he's not too old by then.

Checklist418
Originally posted by BackFire
Crispin Glover is my first choice. I think he'd be excellent.

Adrien Brody could also be great.

Adrien Brody definitely! That was the first person that came to mind.

Da Joker
I still don't see him as Joker material. I don't think he has the look at all...but I could be totally wrong. If he got the role, he'd probably do something closer to TAS.

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I'm not sure....but the man is a great actor. He has done some very good characters in his time.

Daniel Day Lewis is one of my favourite actors,

he is the only actors I can see even remotely being able to not be dwarfed by Heath's performance, he has won 2 best actor oscars.

Gideon
I disagree with those who believe that the Joker should "be left alone" for the remainder of this series. The Joker is Batman's archnemesis, his ultimate foe, and a series of movies without him is pointless. He must appear in subsequent movies and Daniel Day Lewis or Johnny Depp are excellent ideas and both have the acting chops to pull it off.

Maistro
Its sad that Heath died but im sure if they had plans for the Joker in the future Nolan flicks then he will be recast

Its hollywood afterall

Gideon
Originally posted by Maistro
Its sad that Heath died but im sure if they had plans for the Joker in the future Nolan flicks then he will be recast

Its hollywood afterall

He should be recast. The mentality that replacing someone (be it a late actor, musician, or whatnot) is an insult is rather stupid. I was happy as shit when Queen contracted Paul Rodgers to tour in stead of the late, great Freddie Mercury; it's not an insult, it's an honor to Mercury's legacy, and it's a move I'm sure that he would have approved of; allowing Queen's music to carry on even if he wasn't the one delivering it. A Joker-less Batman franchise isn't Batman at all, especially when he's not terminated. If he's there, you must use him. With respect, these Ledger fanatics are retarded. Finding a great actor to fill his shoes to carry on the major villain of the comic books is an honor to Ledger's legacy.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Gideon
He should be recast. The mentality that replacing someone (be it a late actor, musician, or whatnot) is an insult is rather stupid. I was happy as shit when Queen contracted Paul Rodgers to tour in stead of the late, great Freddie Mercury; it's not an insult, it's an honor to Mercury's legacy, and it's a move I'm sure that he would have approved of; allowing Queen's music to carry on even if he wasn't the one delivering it. A Joker-less Batman franchise isn't Batman at all, especially when he's not terminated. If he's there, you must use him. With respect, these Ledger fanatics are retarded. Finding a great actor to fill his shoes to carry on the major villain of the comic books is an honor to Ledger's legacy.

some people think otherwise. Nolan's one of them.

How can you have Queen without Freddie? Some are insulted by Journey continuing without their lead singer Steve Perry. Its a big risk and a gamble, if it doesnt live up to the legend, with crack the stone forever. I dont want the Joker to turn into some mess, or like previous Batman movies where Batman was Keaton, then next movie turned into Val Kilmer then Clooney...inconsistent.

This is not a Burton Batman movie where it is entirely about the villains. The Joker was in TDK, and usually the 2nd movie serves as the main trilogy's climax. You're also saying the joker makes the batman franchise, he doesnt. He's just one out of the many iconic villains in batmans rogue gallery. If nolan thinks he can do without recasting or not having joker in the next film, then i believe him, i believed in harvey dent, i believed in heath ledger when barely anyone else did, Nolan has done a hell of a job so far. and Please respect the fans that respect and love Heath Ledger.

Gideon
some people think otherwise. Nolan's one of them.

Am I to comport with his opinion simply because he's the director? Does that make him infallible?

Incidentally, Journey's my favorite band, so this is a subject that I'm quite familiar with. Your syllogism has two major flaws.

a.) The star of the Batman franchise alternated with every movie. I'm not suggesting that. I'm suggesting that one actor with an iconic role died and so that he be replaced. Unless you intend for everyone who carries the Joker mantle to die of an overdose, we won't need to switch up all the time.

b.) How can you have Queen without Freddie? Journey without Steve Perry? Simple. Because I love Queen -- not just Freddie Mercury -- I love Journey -- not just Steve Perry. Mercury is dead and Perry can't hit those tenor notes like he used to, and both of them contributes to the bands' success but they were not the bands themselves. When you identify an organism by just one of its parts, you make a grave error. It's like referring to us men as a PENIS rather than the entire entity. George Michael covered Queen's songs brilliantly and Paul Rodgers did a remarkable job. Journey's subsequent singers have all done a fine job as well. People who get so wrapped up in one band member live on nostalgia. Journey's put out four post-Perry albums, the most recent one Revelation, tearing up the charts. I love the new possibilities rather than closing them all down because people refuse to move on as well.

Sorry, this logic is just shitty. The Joker isn't some random entry in Batman's rogues gallery. Everyone knows that. He is the archnemesis. He is the Lex Luthor to Batman's Superman. He is the iconic enemy. Everyone (including me) is in awe of Ledger's performance. He was the shit. It sucks that he's gone and can't continue on, but that's life. There's no reason why we have to go Joker-less because he's not around.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Gideon
Am I to comport with his opinion simply because he's the director? Does that make him infallible?

Incidentally, Journey's my favorite band, so this is a subject that I'm quite familiar with. Your syllogism has two major flaws.

a.) The star of the Batman franchise alternated with every movie. I'm not suggesting that. I'm suggesting that one actor with an iconic role died and so that he be replaced. Unless you intend for everyone who carries the Joker mantle to die of an overdose, we won't need to switch up all the time.

b.) How can you have Queen without Freddie? Journey without Steve Perry? Simple. Because I love Queen -- not just Freddie Mercury -- I love Journey -- not just Steve Perry. Mercury is dead and Perry can't hit those tenor notes like he used to, and both of them contributes to the bands' success but they were not the bands themselves. When you identify an organism by just one of its parts, you make a grave error. It's like referring to us men as a PENIS rather than the entire entity. George Michael covered Queen's songs brilliantly and Paul Rodgers did a remarkable job. Journey's subsequent singers have all done a fine job as well. People who get so wrapped up in one band member live on nostalgia. Journey's put out four post-Perry albums, the most recent one Revelation, tearing up the charts. I love the new possibilities rather than closing them all down because people refuse to move on as well.

Sorry, this logic is just shitty. The Joker isn't some random entry in Batman's rogues gallery. Everyone knows that. He is the archnemesis. He is the Lex Luthor to Batman's Superman. He is the iconic enemy. Everyone (including me) is in awe of Ledger's performance. He was the shit. It sucks that he's gone and can't continue on, but that's life. There's no reason why we have to go Joker-less because he's not around.

a) obviously i do not want the next joker to die of an accidently overdose, however the recasting will take away a bit from the movie

b) ok yes, steve perry was not journey itself, but he became a foundation, like ones that would support a bridge, take one of those away and it may collapse. If there is a Joker recast, there will obviously be people that prefer Heath Ledger over whomever, just like those who genuinely prefer Perry over Pineda. I dont know about all of us, but do we want to see an actor try to emulate Heath's Joker, or bring in something new, but risky. I think trying to imitate Heath's performance, similarly to Routh and Reeves in Superman will come across the same way.

but you win though, your argument is better than mine, a greek salad can be topped with cheddar cheese in substitute for feta. I get it.

Da Joker
Don't ever give into someone else's argument, go with your own mind. I think the Joker should just be left alone or if they are going to recast him, get someone who can bring their very own style and portray him different from what Heath did.

ScarletSpeed
I agreeOriginally posted by Gideon
I disagree with those who believe that the Joker should "be left alone" for the remainder of this series. The Joker is Batman's archnemesis, his ultimate foe, and a series of movies without him is pointless. He must appear in subsequent movies and Daniel Day Lewis or Johnny Depp are excellent ideas and both have the acting chops to pull it off.

too true, I think that Day Lewis and Depp are probably the only actors that could pull it off, and Heath would be proud to have either one of them replace him, especially Day Lewis,

Day Lewis dedicated his Oscar last year to Heath.

Da Joker
I think he'd be perfect if they recast (even though I'm largely against it). Damn I wish Heath as still here!

peejay88
I am not against recasting the Joker as i feel that the Joker IS integral to the Batman universe and i couldn't accept that he's locked away at Arkham as he escaped from police custody so easily in the Dark Knight. I can understand some peoples reservations about it as Heath Leadger's performance was so complete and i share these fearsPhyscially the character would be quite easy for another actor to replicate but i don't think another actor could parallel Ledgers performance, delivery and unique mannerisms and ticks.

Da Joker
Yeah, that's why if by some chance in hell Nolan recasts the Joker...they need to bring their own characterization, mannerisms, and voice to him.

xNIXSONx
Don't ever give into someone else's argument, go with your own mind. I think the Joker should just be left alone or if they are going to recast him, get someone who can bring their very own style and portray him different from what Heath did.

lol nah its ok, if someone else wants Joker to be recasted then ill let them have that liberty, its just like those people that didnt believe in Heath, you cant convince them til they see with their own two eyes. and obviously i am hesitant about actually recasting another Joker, it takes away from the movie, it is like seeing, Keaton become Kilmer basically like i said before.

Heath Ledger made a distinctive unique and remarkable Joker, the only thing that could possibly top that would be a perfect representation of the animated series Joker with full likeness and voice.

celestialdemon
the only thing that could possibly top that would be a perfect representation of the animated series Joker with full likeness and voice.

That would be sick! I don't think anyone can pull that off.

Da Joker
Ledger was close, but I still think Hamil's Joker is the best media representation yet, with Ledger's being the best live action Joker. I do think if they decide to use the Joker again, he should be closer to TAS version, and if they do that, it'd be sick. I'd also say make the Joker a little more physical. Heath's Joker was hella physical, and they could just amp it up a little.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.