Will The Dark Knight beat Titanic's box office?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Damn, this film is rampaging like the tumbler on the Gotham highway! After just 10 days, it's passed both Iron Man & Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. It's fueled by superb reviews, great word of mouth, and the spectacle of Heath Ledger's last great performance as the BEST-JOKER-EVER.

The big question is: can it catch Titanic?

Titanic did $600 million in North America, $1.2 billion worldwide. LOTR: The Return Of The King is curently second at $1.1 billion worldwide. So someone has gotten close in terms of modern dollars.

Could it be just the North American tally, or the worldwide tally, or both?

ScarletSpeed
sadly I don't think it will beat Titanic, Titanic was in cinemas for about 3 months or so, sad

Endrict Nuul
Hell no....

BruceSkywalker
At the rate The Dark Knight is going it could quite possibly beat Titanic. After ten days it has $314.2 million domestically. Next week it pass Spiderman which made $403 million domestically. As soon as The Dark Knight starts making a ton of money overseas watch out...

Menetnashté
Honestly I don't want it in theaters all that long, I'll be compelled to go see it again, spending bundles of money to see it once.

roughrider

Da Joker
It probably will. Afterall, it made $355 million worldwide in only a little over a week. Imagine where it'll be by the end of this week, let alone a few months from now....

Quincy

Micheal_Myers
Originally posted by Quincy
Yeah, that would suck to have to sit through it again.

huh

I've seen it three times. Its no sit through...its still thoroughly entertaining. I guess it takes a different kind of person.

Da Joker
TDK was so entertaining I may see it one or two more times before it's out of theaters. It's like crack.

roughrider
It's a great film, but quite an emotional wringer. You feel amazed yet worn out by the end. If others have that feeling, we'll see how that affects repeat business. So far, no.
Over $300 million in just ten days. If it only does $100 million in the next ten, I think it's on its way to breaking the North American record.

Da Joker
I loved the movie a lot, every performance was top notch and it really got my creative juices running, no lie. I'm not obsessed with the movie, but it gave me an idea...I worked on it for what...a week, and I've already written out how I want every single detail to be as it's a mini series somewhat inspired by Harvey Dent of the film.

As I said, this isn't just a movie, it's a phenomenon. It could very well be the exact force holding the Earth together.

Röland
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
sadly I don't think it will beat Titanic, Titanic was in cinemas for about 3 months or so, sad
Titanic was in US movie theaters for 9 months. From Dec. 19, 1997 to Sept. 25, 1998.

I don't see TDK being in theaters that long.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Quincy
Yeah, that would suck to have to sit through it again.

huh
Obviously you missed that last tid bit, which completes the sentence. Sometimes you have to read the whole sentence, even if the words are hard to understand.

Da Joker
That's exactly what I've been telling people!

And I doubt TDK will have to be in theaters for nine months. Look at all of the records it's broken. It already has about half of Titanic's domestic gross & it did so in a little over a week. Imagine what'll happen in the next few weeks.

Air Legend
**** no. And oversees Ledger's death means nowhere near as much as it does here in the US.

Quincy

Da Joker
Originally posted by Air Legend
**** no. And oversees Ledger's death means nowhere near as much as it does here in the US.

You spelled overseas wrong. And it more than likely means a lot in Austrailia. Even so, if it doesn't mean as much, people will still go see the film.

roughrider
Yes, Titanic ran for months and months. But how much did it gross week by week? It opened around $25 million. The thing was, it kept staying at that $20-25 million range for a few months. It didn't set the record in a dash; it did it gradually, crossing the line in an easy stride. It made hay by being the only thing to see in the traditionally slow period of January to March.
The Dark Knight has the advantage of coming out in late summer; it can continue to dominate through August & September. The Heath Ledger factor has moviegoers in a frenzy - not unlike how Titanic captivated people with the story of Leo DiCaprio & Kate Winslet.

Aurora
Personally I have saw it twice and we will probally go at least once more. I see many many fans doing the same thing. I think it will pass Titanic at least in the US.

A.D. Skinner
Originally posted by Aurora
Personally I have saw it twice and we will probally go at least once more. I see many many fans doing the same thing. I think it will pass Titanic at least in the US.

We will??? confused

Heck, you will get no complaints from me...I think this is by far one of the best films to have been released in my lifetime!

I think TDK has a good start, but to honestly reach that point of beating Titantic they would need to create another stir about the film. I can't see it maintaining the pace as it is at now.

Da Joker
I hated Titanic so I really hope TDK takes it's throne.

Bat Dude
Maybe...

Da Joker
If people keep going to see it over & over like they have been doing, it could do so.

celestialdemon
I'm not sure it will break the record. Remember, the fastest movie to $300 million before this one was the second Pirates of the Carribbean, and that movie still fell about $177 million short of Titanic. The fastest to $400 million was Shrek 2, and even that fell $159 million short.

Titanic made it's money by staying in the movie theater for a hell of a long time, rather than doing it quickly. Remember, Titanic isn't even in the top 10 in "fastest to $xxx million", but it's never even been threatened for most all-time, even with the numerous Star Wars re-releases.

Da Joker
TDK is certainly threatening it now. If it doesn't surpass Titanic, it'll at least get very very close.

celestialdemon
I agree it will get closer than any other movie. I'm just not convinced it will pass it.

peejay88
I come from a Town in the North West of England and can say that i have never seen the cinema so busy as it has been lately, even for releases like Star Wars 3, the latest Indiana Jones, and even Titanic. I even saw people dressed as characters from the movie which i've never seen before outside of the U.S! And my Parents went to see it and they only ever go to the cinema for birthdays and stuff HA! It does have a shot but i don't think it will surpass that particular record, fingers crossed though!

celestialdemon
Originally posted by peejay88
I come from a Town in the North West of England and can say that i have never seen the cinema so busy as it has been lately, even for releases like Star Wars 3, the latest Indiana Jones, and even Titanic. I even saw people dressed as characters from the movie which i've never seen before outside of the U.S! And my Parents went to see it and they only ever go to the cinema for birthdays and stuff HA! It does have a shot but i don't think it will surpass that particular record, fingers crossed though!

Absolutely! I would much rather The Dark Knight have that title than Titanic.

Devil King

Da Joker
Well, it comes out on DVD December 2nd, and that's close to my birthday which is close to Christmas, so I'm happy.

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by Da Joker
Well, it comes out on DVD December 2nd, and that's close to my birthday which is close to Christmas, so I'm happy.

WOOO, if you're lucky, you might get one for your birthday and one for your Christmas.laughing out loud

Da Joker
Why would I even want two? That'd be a waste of money.

roughrider
We'll have to see how big The Mummy 3 opens this Friday. It's seven years after the last one; no one's been knocking down the door for another one. I bet TDK will hang on to the No.1 spot for another week, and continue to steamroll.

Da Joker
On boxofficemojo, it says the movie now sits at $442 worldwide, that's ****ing amazing. And the Mummy won't take the number one spot, anyone want to make a bet it won't?

Air Legend
You spelled overseas wrong. And it more than likely means a lot in Austrailia. Even so, if it doesn't mean as much, people will still go see the film.
Yea and you used the wrong to...
Why would I even want two? That'd be a waste of money.

Trust me, you don't want to have a grammar quarrel with me.

Da Joker
That was meant as why would I even want two copies? I guess some aren't smart enough to interpret those types of things. Just be quiet boy.

Air Legend
Heh, you're right. Didn't read the convo. Either way, that doesn't require interpretation capabilities. It does, however, require reading comprehension competence (since you're assuming I read the convo and didn't understand it). To make it simple, poor word choice.

Also, you need the word "in" before why and the word "people" after some.

Da Joker
I type too fast and post too much to care. Drop it & move on.

But, I guess your next post will prove whether you can drop something or not.

Air Legend
I take it that you won't be correcting any of my spelling errors anymore wink

Da Joker
I take it you won't be as annoying anymore. 131

SpaceMonkey
2 reasons TDK WILL surpass Titanic as #1 box office all time:

1. This movie will finish the summer with close to $500 mil. Puls they will re-release it prior to the Oscars to pump up the Heath Ledger nomination.
2. Tickets are more expensive now than in the late 90's.

And i'm glad. That movie, while mildly entertaining, had no business as the top grossing movie ever. It was a joke.

Da Joker
This movie will finish far higher than $500 million, it's already at $442 million.

celestialdemon
I think he's talking about just in the US, not worldwide.

Da Joker
Oh, yeah, it'll be around the $500-600 million range domestically.

roughrider
The film may exceed Titanic in North America, but fall short in worldwide terms. But even that would be enough for bragging rights. How an American-financed film performs in it's own backyard has always been good enough to claim being the biggest ever - from The Godfather to Jaws, to Star Wars, to E.T., then back to Star Wars, then Titanic.

Da Joker
It's going to do damn good in the United States...people will keep going to see this over & over, we know that. Hopefully it'll do just as well overseas. Still, it's doing Spider-Man numbers...no, better than Spider-Man numbers.

Deathstroke
Is it really going to do over 500 mill. domestic? That'd be pretty crazy.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Deathstroke
Is it really going to do over 500 mill. domestic? That'd be pretty crazy.

Yes I believe it is. Next sunday or monday The Dark Knight will surpass Spiderman which made $403 million domestically. This movie will mostly be out until late august if not september and since it is breaking records right and left, I don't see it stopping anytime soon

Da Joker
Yes, if it keeps up, it should have close to $700 million domestically. That's if it has strong legs. If it does just as well internationally, then not only may it actually go a little past Titanic, we'll be getting a lot more Batman movies as Warner Brothers will be rolling in dough for a long time.

Darth Martin
Yes, if it keeps up, it should have close to $700 million domestically. That's if it has strong legs. If it does just as well internationally, then not only may it actually go a little past Titanic, we'll be getting a lot more Batman movies as Warner Brothers will be rolling in dough for a long time. $700 mill domestic?! sad I can only hope.

Da Joker
Well, it could, you never know. I don't think anyone expected it to break so many records.

celestialdemon
I think The Dark Knight's first test of longevity will come this weekend when The Mummy comes out. If it can still manage to make around $40-50 million this weekend, then I think it has a good chance of seriously challenging Titanic. The only other movie that has any chance of hurting its ticket sales in the month of August is Tropic Thunder.

Devil King
HaHa! The Mummy.

If the Mummy knocks it out of first place, I will feel very, very bad for the American movie-going public.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Devil King
HaHa! The Mummy.

If the Mummy knocks it out of first place, I will feel very, very bad for the American movie-going public.

Same here, but sadly the public is drawn to those movies.

Da Joker
Actually, I don't see a lot of people who want to see the Mummy so it's not going to knock TDK out of first place.

BruceSkywalker
Actually, I don't see a lot of people who want to see the Mummy so it's not going to knock TDK out of first place.

I see The Dark Knight still winning the weekend with the Mummy coming in second

Da Joker
Yeah, the movie has been making money nonstop, so I don't see the Mummy 3 doing anything better than TDK.

Joker1237
Dont underated the Mummy, it could surpast the Dark Knight, Jet Le's movies are no push over. Fraiser is not the person people want to see. They want a kung Fo Mummy, IE Jet Le.

Da Joker
They want Jet Li as a Mummy over Heath as the Joker? As if. Yes, Jet Li is popular, but the Mummy 3 ain't taking the top spot, that's fact.

Joker1237
You cant say thats fact, because we dont know. Anything can happen. Rember Dowey over Truman?? Yep Dowey was the next Prez for the 50's. Thats FACT.

Da Joker
The notion that the Mummy 3 will take the number one spot is laughable.

roughrider
The notion that the Mummy 3 will take the number one spot is laughable.

It's not laughable or out of the question; just possible. However, I'm still betting it comes in second to TDK.

Da Joker
To me it's laughable, because I know it's not gonna happen.

Joker1237
Know??? So you have a ball or something that tells what happens weeks from now???

The Mummy will be a smash hit, and it might surpast the Dark Knight, because I going to watch it on Friday lol.

ragesRemorse
I doubt that the mummy will be a SMASH hit. I think it will do well in it's first two weeks but then drop off and be forgotten until it's re-surfacing on dvd. Mummy has a decent chance at making number one for it's first week, but it will not stay at number one for more than one week. Swing vote could very easily become more popular than the mummy. People like kevin costner as much as they like bad action movie's like the mummy.

Da Joker
Originally posted by Joker1237
Know??? So you have a ball or something that tells what happens weeks from now???

The Mummy will be a smash hit, and it might surpast the Dark Knight, because I going to watch it on Friday lol.

You're even more unintelligent than I thought. How many people do you think will choose the Mummy 3 over TDK? It's common knowledge it's not going to be a smash hit or surpass TDK because most people think it shouldn't have even been made.

roughrider
By this Sunday the picture will get clearer. If TDK is well over $400 million, it's in great shape to reach Titanic. Everyone, keep going!!!

Da Joker
Yeah, it's at $470 million, or that's where it was when it was last updated on Wednesday. It could already be over $500 million, and since the weekend is here you can expect the numbers to shoot up.

nimbus006
Yeah, it's at $470 million, or that's where it was when it was last updated on Wednesday. It could already be over $500 million, and since the weekend is here you can expect the numbers to shoot up.

I think those are worldwide box office numbers.

Domestically, I believe it's still in the $360 million range.

Mairuzu
I'm not all that excited to see the Mummy

i even loved the first two..

Mr Parker
at first I thought it was crazy to suggest this thread that there would be no way that would happen but you look at what this movie is doing at the box office in such a short time and considering how popular a character Batman is I think it has a great shot.

Da Joker
Originally posted by nimbus006
I think those are worldwide box office numbers.

Domestically, I believe it's still in the $360 million range.

They are worldwide numbers, I'm just saying it's gonna shoot up again this weekend. That's when people aren't working and are free to view the movie as many times as they please.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Mairuzu
I'm not all that excited to see the Mummy

i even loved the first two..

Mairuzu
Mainly cause Rachel Weisz isnt in it

Mr Parker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
At the rate The Dark Knight is going it could quite possibly beat Titanic. After ten days it has $314.2 million domestically. Next week it pass Spiderman which made $403 million domestically. As soon as The Dark Knight starts making a ton of money overseas watch out...

yeah thats why I think it has a great shot of achieving that.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Mainly cause Rachel Weisz isnt in it

Exactly. Looking at Maria Bello, she looks so out of place.

Da Joker
If this movie surpasses Titanic, I'm going to go insane (in a good way). big grin

roughrider
If this movie surpasses Titanic, I'm going to go insane (in a good way). big grin

I'll find James Cameron and yell out "You're NOT the King Of The World! WOO-HOO!!!"
Then moon him. laughing

Da Joker
I'd moon him even if TDK didn't surpass Titanic. big grin

BruceSkywalker

I wouldn't go insane I'd just don a nomex foam rubber costume and start jumping off rooftops laughing laughing laughing laughing

Da Joker
I'd moon everyone I ride pass and say "Look at this you ugly bastards!" laughing out loud

ragesRemorse
I hope the dark knight surpasses Titanic just because i would really really like to see some new movie's from James Cameron. Losing top spot might inspire him to get out of his god damn submarine, forget about deep sea fish and the titanic and get back into the directors chair.

roughrider
It's happened - The Dark Knight held off The Mummy 3 to take the weekend! It will be at $400 million in North America by the end of today!
Suits at Warner Bros. are predicting it could add another $100 million in North America before it's done. I think they're being coy - no mentioning of catching Titanic's record of $601 million just yet.
$400 million in just 17 days?! With the slow month of August to dominate in??
I think it's going to happen.

The j0keR
Reached 400 in less than half the time it took the previous record holder, one of the Shrek movies in 43 days. Thats what they call "shattering" a record. lol

SelinaAndBruce
I am so glad the Dark Knight beat that wretched Mummy movie

The j0keR
Yeah, but Mummy did take a lot of business from TDK, they pretty much had the same numbers. I loved the first two Mummy movies, but I swore this one off from day one.

SelinaAndBruce
Yeah but for the Dark Knight to do that amount of business and still beat a new release in it's third week, and considering the Dark Knight is one of those movies that prolly darn near everyone has seen by now...that's still an accomplishment. Doing the same numbers as another movie in it's opening weekend and still getting number one your third week out after having a massive haul already is something.

And I hatedl the Mummy movies. They were like broke down Indiana Jones movies to me

The j0keR
Yeah, I was waiting for the numbers this morning, im very glad DK did as well as it did. Im hoping it keeps this strong run as long as it can.

I enjoyed the Mummy movies as kinda thoughtless entertainment, I mainly watched because I like Brendan Fraser, which would be the only reaosn I may check out the DVD. Plus I have a crush on Rachel Wiesz because of those two movies. stick out tongue

BruceSkywalker
Lets all give cheers to The Dark Knight. I knew it was going to win the week.

Darth Martin
I honestly thought Mummy would outsell The Dark Knight this weekend.

Seems I was wrong. smokin'

BruceSkywalker
I can equivocally say that The Dark Knight has a very strong chance of besting Titanic.

Da Joker
Hah, you guys should now never doubt me, I'm rarely ever wrong. And with the movie having $597 million worldwide, it'll beat Titanic.

roughrider
Hah, you guys should now never doubt me, I'm rarely ever wrong. And with the movie having $597 million worldwide, it'll beat Titanic.
You keep mixing up domestic grosses and worldwide grosses.
Titanic is at $601 million in North America.
Worldwide, it's combined total is $1.2 billion.
The Dark Knight still has a ways to go. But with $400 million in North America in just 17 days, the North American record is within striking range.

Da Joker
I'm not mixing up anything...I know how everything is and I know that TDK has $597 million worldwide, and around $396 million domestically.

DeNiro
The Dark Knight was the best film ive seen. i used to run around dressed as the joker when i was a little kid all the time

roughrider
I'm not mixing up anything...I know how everything is and I know that TDK has $597 million worldwide, and around $396 million domestically.

You were implying that TDK at $597 million worldwide, was just about to pass Titanic's $601 million. But that's Titanic's domestic gross, not the worldwide total.

Mr Parker
I can equivocally say that The Dark Knight has a very strong chance of besting Titanic.

Since it already has 397 mill domestically,Im sure it will beat it dometically wise,world wide? Im not sure,it's hard to say.yeah lets all give out cheers to it for beating out the mummy this weekend. Happy Dance way to go Bats.

Da Joker
Originally posted by roughrider
You were implying that TDK at $597 million worldwide, was just about to pass Titanic's $601 million. But that's Titanic's domestic gross, not the worldwide total.

I never implied anything. I said since it has $597 million worldwide, it has a good chance of catching up with Titanic worldwide, I never mentioned anything about the domestic gross.

roughrider
It was No. 1 again this weekend, adding another $50 million in the past week, bringing it to $441 million domestically. It's going down at a slow rate, not dropping off dramatically. It still has a good shot.
How big could Tropic Thunder and The Clone Wars open at this week?

BruceSkywalker
This movie could be out at least another two months. Titanic watch out

Da Joker
Possibly, but we'll have to see. It has a long way to go.

Neo Darkhalen
I liked TDK far more then Titanic and this is why....i want TDK to surpass it.

Bardock42
Well, it's not even out in Germany, yet, not sure where else it isn't out.

WrathfulDwarf
It was No. 1 again this weekend, adding another $50 million in the past week, bringing it to $441 million domestically. It's going down at a slow rate, not dropping off dramatically. It still has a good shot.
How big could Tropic Thunder and The Clone Wars open at this week?

I say this....if TDK remains #1 after Clone Wars and Tropic Thunder then yeah, Titanic is gonna go down.

I like how everyone is going with the Inflation argument and ticket sales numbers when it comes to the success of TDK. It's just gibberish...if we go by ticket sales then Titanic lost a long time go with Gone with the Wind and therefore should not even be consider champ at all.

BigRed
I really hope TDK has the legs to continue and beat Titanic. I don't have much faith that it will, but who knows?

I'm seeing it again at some point in IMAX.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I say this....if TDK remains #1 after Clone Wars and Tropic Thunder then yeah, Titanic is gonna go down.

I like how everyone is going with the Inflation argument and ticket sales numbers when it comes to the success of TDK. It's just gibberish...if we go by ticket sales then Titanic lost a long time go with Gone with the Wind and therefore should not even be consider champ at all.

QFT

roughrider

Yes, it's true. Star Wars, adjusted for inflation, also sits higher than Titanic but below Gone With The Wind. This sort of race should always be prefaced as "The Modern Box Office Champ." It's a lot of the media who hype things up, distorting the fine print.

Mairuzu

I like how everyone is going with the Inflation argument and ticket sales numbers when it comes to the success of TDK. It's just gibberish...if we go by ticket sales then Titanic lost a long time go with Gone with the Wind and therefore should not even be consider champ at all. even if its #2 or 3... they still have a good chance

Mr Parker

yeah good point.I mean come on,if were going by the inflation argument then yeah,no way in hell should titanic be at number one.it DID lose a long time ago to Gone with the wind if they are going to use that argument and should not be ranked number one at all. laughing

Joker1237
The rankings with inflation is used.
1 Gone with the Wind MGM $1,430,476,000 $198,676,459 1939^
2 Star Wars Fox $1,261,086,700 $460,998,007 1977^
3 The Sound of Music Fox $1,008,300,900 $158,671,368 1965
4 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. $1,004,328,700 $435,110,554 1982^
5 The Ten Commandments Par. $927,480,000 $65,500,000 1956
6 Titanic Par. $908,688,900 $600,788,188 1997
7 Jaws Uni. $906,798,000 $260,000,000 1975
8 Doctor Zhivago MGM $878,879,000 $111,721,910 1965
9 The Exorcist WB $782,826,200 $232,671,011 1973^
10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Dis. $771,720,000 $184,925,486 1937^
11 101 Dalmatians Dis. $707,414,100 $144,880,014 1961^
12 The Empire Strikes Back Fox $695,118,900 $290,475,067 1980^
13 Ben-Hur MGM $693,840,000 $74,000,000 1959
14 Return of the Jedi Fox $665,940,600 $309,306,177 1983^
15 The Sting Uni. $631,131,400 $156,000,000 1973
16 Raiders of the Lost Ark Par. $624,044,300 $242,374,454 1981^
17 Jurassic Park Uni. $610,337,400 $357,067,947 1993
18 The Graduate AVCO $605,845,500 $104,901,839 1967^
19 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox $600,566,700 $431,088,301 1999
20 Fantasia Dis. $587,947,800 $76,408,097 1941^
21 The Godfather Par. $558,771,800 $134,966,411 1972^
22 Forrest Gump Par. $556,102,900 $329,694,499 1994
23 Mary Poppins Dis. $553,527,300 $102,272,727 1964^
24 The Lion King BV $546,801,100 $328,541,776 1994^
25 Grease Par. $544,606,000 $188,389,888 1978^
26 Thunderball UA $529,584,000 $63,595,658 1965
27 The Jungle Book Dis. $521,653,800 $141,843,612 1967^
28 Sleeping Beauty Dis. $514,546,500 $51,600,000 1959^
29 Shrek 2 DW $503,040,600 $441,226,247 2004
30 Ghostbusters Col. $500,772,700 $238,632,124 1984^
31 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Fox $499,549,600 $102,308,889 1969
32 Love Story Par. $495,586,900 $106,397,186 1970
33 Spider-Man Sony $491,952,000 $403,706,375 2002
34 Independence Day Fox $490,423,600 $306,169,268 1996
35 Home Alone Fox $479,558,100 $285,761,243 1990
36 Pinocchio Dis. $477,215,600 $84,254,167 1940^
37 Cleopatra (1963) Fox $475,658,900 $57,777,778 1963
38 Beverly Hills Cop Par. $475,422,100 $234,760,478 1984
39 Goldfinger UA $469,404,000 $51,081,062 1964
40 Airport Uni. $468,067,900 $100,489,151 1970
41 American Graffiti Uni. $465,257,100 $115,000,000 1973
42 The Robe Fox $463,418,200 $36,000,000 1953
43 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $457,568,800 $423,315,812 2006
44 Around the World in 80 Days UA $457,476,900 $42,000,000 1956
45 Bambi RKO $451,084,100 $102,247,150 1942^
46 Blazing Saddles WB $447,650,800 $119,500,000 1974
47 Batman WB $445,718,700 $251,188,924 1989
48 The Dark Knight WB $445,370,700 $445,370,695 2008
49 The Bells of St. Mary's RKO $444,235,300 $21,333,333 1945
50 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King NL $435,690,000 $377,027,325 2003
51 The Towering Inferno Fox $434,539,700 $116,000,000 1974
52 Spider-Man 2 Sony $425,923,900 $373,585,825 2004
53 My Fair Lady WB $424,800,000 $72,000,000 1964
54 The Greatest Show on Earth Par. $424,800,000 $36,000,000 1952
55 National Lampoon's Animal House Uni. $424,023,100 $141,600,000 1978^
56 The Passion of the Christ NM $422,710,300 $370,782,930 2004^
57 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox $420,018,000 $380,270,577 2005
58 Back to the Future Uni. $418,078,600 $210,609,762 1985
59 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers NL $408,023,400 $341,786,758 2002^
60 The Sixth Sense BV $407,660,200 $293,506,292 1999
61 Superman WB $406,095,500 $134,218,018 1978
62 Tootsie Col. $402,879,900 $177,200,000 1982
63 Smokey and the Bandit Uni. $402,377,100 $126,737,428 1977
64 Finding Nemo BV $398,869,300 $339,714,978 2003
65 West Side Story MGM $396,269,600 $43,656,822 1961
66 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone WB $395,863,900 $317,575,550 2001
67 Lady and the Tramp Dis. $394,603,000 $93,602,326 1955^
68 Close Encounters of the Third Kind Col. $393,474,900 $132,088,635 1977^
69 Lawrence of Arabia Col. $392,115,500 $44,824,144 1962^
70 The Rocky Horror Picture Show Fox $389,891,500 $112,892,319 1975
71 Rocky UA $389,683,000 $117,235,147 1976
72 The Best Years of Our Lives RKO $389,400,000 $23,650,000 1946
73 The Poseidon Adventure Fox $388,705,900 $84,563,118 1972
74 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring NL $387,303,800 $314,776,170 2001^
75 Twister WB $387,191,900 $241,721,524 1996
76 Men in Black Sony $386,686,100 $250,690,539 1997
77 The Bridge on the River Kwai Col. $385,152,000 $27,200,000 1957
78 It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World MGM $381,437,900 $46,332,858 1963
79 Swiss Family Robinson Dis. $380,960,600 $40,356,000 1960
80 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest UA $380,092,300 $108,981,275 1975
81 M.A.S.H. Fox $380,084,200 $81,600,000 1970
82 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Par. $379,012,300 $179,870,271 1984
83 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones Fox $378,556,800 $310,676,740 2002^
84 Mrs. Doubtfire Fox $373,005,400 $219,195,243 1993
85 Aladdin BV $371,291,800 $217,350,219 1992
86 Ghost Par. $364,373,800 $217,631,306 1990
87 Duel in the Sun Selz. $361,224,500 $20,408,163 1946
88 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl BV $358,594,200 $305,413,918 2003
89 House of Wax WB $357,766,000 $23,750,000 1953
90 Rear Window Par. $356,511,600 $36,764,313 1954^
91 The Lost World: Jurassic Park Uni. $353,362,500 $229,086,679 1997
92 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Par. $349,868,800 $197,171,806 1989
93 Spider-Man 3 Sony $346,313,200 $336,530,303 2007
94 Terminator 2: Judgment Day TriS $344,487,100 $204,843,345 1991
95 Sergeant York WB $340,712,200 $16,361,885 1941
96 How the Grinch Stole Christmas Uni. $340,596,300 $260,044,825 2000
97 Toy Story 2 BV $338,682,600 $245,852,179 1999^
98 Top Gun Par. $337,371,900 $176,786,701 1986
99 Shrek DW $334,817,700 $267,665,011 2001
100 Shrek the Third P/DW $332,101,300 $322,719,944 2007

Joker1237
As it stands the Dark Knight is still behind the 89 classic with inflation.

Da Joker
How can it be behind it if the new movie made more than $200 million more than B(89)?

Joker1237
by inflation, stuff cost a LOT more than they did in 1989. Batman sold more tickets than the Dark Knight did.

Joker1237
47 Batman WB $445,718,700 $251,188,924 1989
48 The Dark Knight WB $445,370,700 $445,370,695 2008

Still the Dark Knight is only a level below Batman 89.

Da Joker
Well, I don't even pay much attention to inflation, so TDK is much farther ahead of B(89) in worldwide gross. Already over $708 million worldwide in only 25 days.

Joker1237
inflation should play a part in how well a movie did in the theaters vs a movie from the past imo.

Gone with the Wind would never surpast the any of the Mummy movies if we dont use inflation in reasons to compare.

sithsaber408
Check it out:

www.sinktitanic.com

Hopefully with WB bumping the next Potter flick to the summer, TDK will remain in IMAX throughout the end of the year. If it can pull 3-4 mil every weekend, it stands a good shot of taking the record.

Especially if the WB has no more large releases and can use their marketing for a "go see it again!" "Best reviews of the year" type campaign either now or around December.

There is a shot.

Endrict Nuul
After four weeks as the #1 movie in the country, the reign of Warner Bros.' The Dark Knight finally came to an end, but not before it amassed enough money to pass the unadjusted gross of George Lucas' 1977 sci-fi classic Star Wars to become the 2nd highest grossing movie domestically with an astounding five-week box office gross of $471.5 million! (Star Wars' unadjusted gross of $461 million included a number of re-releases since its debut thirty years ago.) While it has a long way to go if it wants to pass the long-held box office record of James Cameron's Titanic, it's more than likely The Dark Knight could become the second movie to ever make more than $500 million domestically. (Quite ironically, the continued success of Nolan's Batman film knocked George Lucas' new animated Star Wars: the Clone Wars, the first movie in the franchise to be distributed by Warner Bros., down to third place for the weekend as well.)

http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=7595

Almighty Bauer
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
After four weeks as the #1 movie in the country, the reign of Warner Bros.' The Dark Knight finally came to an end, but not before it amassed enough money to pass the unadjusted gross of George Lucas' 1977 sci-fi classic Star Wars to become the 2nd highest grossing movie domestically with an astounding five-week box office gross of $471.5 million! (Star Wars' unadjusted gross of $461 million included a number of re-releases since its debut thirty years ago.) While it has a long way to go if it wants to pass the long-held box office record of James Cameron's Titanic, it's more than likely The Dark Knight could become the second movie to ever make more than $500 million domestically. (Quite ironically, the continued success of Nolan's Batman film knocked George Lucas' new animated Star Wars: the Clone Wars, the first movie in the franchise to be distributed by Warner Bros., down to third place for the weekend as well.)

To be honest, I can't see why anyone over the age of about 12 would want to see the Clone Wars. Will Lucas stop before he bleeds that franchise (yes, FRANCHISE) dry of every once of originality and inspiration it once held???

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul

If The Dark Knight is out until mid to late October then The Dark Knight can very well surpass Titanic.

roughrider
I will be watching closely - no major releases for the rest of summer. Does it have the gas to edge Titanic out by late September - early October?

FistOfThe North
Nah. I don't think so. The hype's starting to die down. It's been a month and Tropic Thunder just beat TDK this weekend.

I mean we're talking about another 150 million+ more just to catch up to tie "Titanic". (domestically speaking)

roughrider
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Nah. I don't think so. The hype's starting to die down. It's been a month and Tropic Thunder just beat TDK this weekend.

I mean we're talking about another 150 million+ more just to catch up to tie "Titanic". (domestically speaking)

At $471 million, it's only $130 million behind Titanic. It's has no other major releases to contend with this month - unless you think the remake of Death Race 2000 will do anything - and one more holiday weekend(Labour Day) to fill it's boots. It's still possible, but it will be close.
Bringing in $16 million the past weekend - $30 million for the whole week - it's weekly decline has been small compared to many other films.
If it brings in $20-25 million next week, $16-18 million the next, then then $13, then $10...
Project out and see how much it could have by mid October.

FistOfThe North
At $471 million, it's only $130 million behind Titanic. It's has no other major releases to contend with this month - unless you think the remake of Death Race 2000 will do anything - and one more holiday weekend(Labour Day) to fill it's boots. It's still possible, but it will be close.
Bringing in $16 million the past weekend - $30 million for the whole week - it's weekly decline has been small compared to many other films.
If it brings in $20-25 million next week, $16-18 million the next, then then $13, then $10...
Project out and see how much it could have by mid October.

That's sensible. Warner execs don't have that high an expectation ($510-$540mil.) but it does seem a theoretic possibility with your scenario and numbers.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
That's sensible. Warner execs don't have that high an expectation ($510-$540mil.) but it does seem a theoretic possibility with your scenario and numbers.

Warner Bros is putting that out there so they can cover there arse if The Dark Knight falls short of beating Titanic. If The Dark Knight does indeed catch and pass Titanic, rival studios will never hear the end of it for a very long time.

TheGame17
Warner Bros is putting that out there so they can cover there arse if The Dark Knight falls short of beating Titanic. If The Dark Knight does indeed catch and pass Titanic, rival studios will never hear the end of it for a very long time.

is every country worldwide watching it now?....

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by TheGame17
is every country worldwide watching it now?....

I believe so, yes

The Black Ghost
Its #19 worldwide now at 805 million. I expect it will be able to jump to at least #14 which is um...finding nemo

roughrider
It added $18 million the past week, down from $30 million the week before. Just ten million shy of $500 million, which is really neat.
But it's getting tight. It will have to keep doing good business until mid-October to do it. Unless Warner Bros. does a splashy re-release with a good hook, right around Oscar time.

TheGame17
It added $18 million the past week, down from $30 million the week before. Just ten million shy of $500 million, which is really neat.
But it's getting tight. It will have to keep doing good business until mid-October to do it. Unless Warner Bros. does a splashy re-release with a good hook, right around Oscar time.

its at 870.3 million total rite now so its #14 all time, just below Fellowship of the ring.

Is there any big weekend or holiday coming up that could give it a boost??
I think seeing The Dark Knight on Halloween would be awesome big grin

roughrider
Originally posted by TheGame17
its at 870.3 million total rite now so its #14 all time, just below Fellowship of the ring.

Is there any big weekend or holiday coming up that could give it a boost??
I think seeing The Dark Knight on Halloween would be awesome big grin

It could get a push this labour day weekend.
Releasing it again on Halloween means having to pull it out of theatres weeks prior - could defeat the purpose of doing it.

Da Joker
Indeed, just keep it in theaters until around Halloween or whatever, and take it out instead of doing what was said above. Also, I was starting to think it might not even come in number 2 to Titanic, but with it having shot up to $870 million worldwide so quickly, it could do so.

BruceSkywalker
The Dark Knight is truly poised to quite possibly catch if not pass Titanic. Over the weekend it will pass $900 million worldwide and I will not be surprised at all if this stays in theaters both domestic and overseas until October. So that being said The Dark Knight can certainly catch if not pass Titanic...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=7626

Ushgarak
It is drawing fairly close in US domestic terms but it is WAY short worldwide.

(Inflation adjusted, of course, it is still a mere 33rd domestically)

roughrider
At $502 million & counting. Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Just before its release, I knew the film would be big but not THIS big. Congratulations to all.
Though at this rate, it will have to stay in theatres until mid November to pass Titanic.

Just $99 million away...

Kovacs86

BruceSkywalker
At $502 million & counting. Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Just before its release, I knew the film would be big but not THIS big. Congratulations to all.
Though at this rate, it will have to stay in theatres until mid November to pass Titanic.

Just $99 million away...

If you want to believe WB they think it will top out at $530 or $550 million domestically. Personally I think if it does stay in theaters until october or november then it will surpass Titanic domestically. Overall since it has made $919 worldwide and isn't stopping anytime soon overseas then it certainly has a chance to tie, break or come close to Titanic's worldwide box office take of $1.8 billion

roughrider

Kovacs86
big grin So if you had Batman on your football team, what position would you play him?

Dang... can't think of an appropriate pun. If it were cricket it'd be so easy to think of one, too.
I'd say Man City want him as a striker considering their other targets...

batman

Ushgarak
It would have to make nine hundred million domestically to beat Titanic once inflation is taken into account- i.e. for more people to have actually seen TDK than Titanic.

FistOfThe North
The number so far.. (as of this posing)

Domestic All Time Box Office

1. Titanic (Paramount Pictures) $600,788,188

2. The Dark Knight (Warner Bros.) $504,696,000

FistOfThe North
oops, typo.

(as of posting), meaning.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ushgarak
It would have to make nine hundred million domestically to beat Titanic once inflation is taken into account- i.e. for more people to have actually seen TDK than Titanic.

Do they have stats about sold tickets per film?

roughrider

Tickets haven't increased that dramatically since Titanic was in theatres. And if you want to do the inflation equation, Titanic doesn't have the top spot anyway - It's Gone With The wind, followed by the first Star Wars when you adjust the dollars.
This is all about modern dollars, here.

Ushgarak
Yes, ticket prices have increased that much, and I am well aware Gone with the Wind has the top spot, it is just that everyone has been making the comparison with Titanic (besides which, Gone with the Wind was released in a totally different marketplace).

'Modern dollars' is an irrelevant measure. The only relevant measure is how many people went to see it. Ticket sales are only being used as a way to try and get that figure, which is why inlfation adjustment is essential, because that gives the accurate measure based on how many people went to see the film.

Incidentally your original post is inaccurate; if you are saying ROTK made 1.1 billion international- which is its COMBINED total, not just that outside the US- then by that same logic Titanic make 1.8 billion, not 1.2, and TDK won't go anywhere near it, inflation adjusted or otherwise.

roughrider
Fine, fine. You can split hairs many different ways - how a films' length limits or enhances the number of screenings per day, how admisssion prices for children are less and can affect box office total etc. I've never seen accurate listings for actual ticket sales to determine how films stack up against one another. But, no one can convince me that Titanic actually sold more tickets than Star Wars did - it got rereleased to theatres over and over again and kept making money. Titanic had a huge run of eight months and no more.

Ushgarak
Titanic hasn't sold more tickets than Star Wars did, what gave you the idea that anyone said that? It's made a lot more money, but again, that's because of inflation. This demonstrates the precise point we are making here- Titanic made a higher flat figure but the value of that money was less than that of what Star Wars made, and so by that same logic- a lot more people went to see Star Wars.

This isn't splitting hairs. This is looking at truth. Why intentionally deceive yourself? The important point is if Batman sells more tickets compared to other films. It would have to sell nine hundred million dollars worth of tickets domestically to have achieved the same domestic ticket sales as Titanic- simple as that. Whatever minor issues might slightly efefct the totals that can be worked out here, they are as nothing to the massive inaccuracy of smply looking at the flat figures, when it is obvious to anyone of any intellgence that when tickets cost more between two films, simply looking at the money made is obviously not an accurate comparison to the popularity of the film or the tickets sold.

Incidentally, in any film from the mid-90s onwards, ticket data is actually very comprehensive.

TheGame17
Titanic hasn't sold more tickets than Star Wars did, what gave you the idea that anyone said that? It's made a lot more money, but again, that's because of inflation. This demonstrates the precise point we are making here- Titanic made a higher flat figure but the value of that money was less than that of what Star Wars made, and so by that same logic- a lot more people went to see Star Wars.

This isn't splitting hairs. This is looking at truth. Why intentionally deceive yourself? The important point is if Batman sells more tickets compared to other films. It would have to sell nine hundred million dollars worth of tickets domestically to have achieved the same domestic ticket sales as Titanic- simple as that. Whatever minor issues might slightly efefct the totals that can be worked out here, they are as nothing to the massive inaccuracy of smply looking at the flat figures, when it is obvious to anyone of any intellgence that when tickets cost more between two films, simply looking at the money made is obviously not an accurate comparison to the popularity of the film or the tickets sold.

Incidentally, in any film from the mid-90s onwards, ticket data is actually very comprehensive.

so why can't they have TDK in theaters for 9 months just like they did with Titanic?...

WrathfulDwarf
If you were to switch roles here....i.e. putting TDK back in the late 90s and Titanic during the millenium. Then TDK beats Titanic with no sweat. Titanic isn't going agaisnt the major piracy of this day and age. It's complete unfair to say TDK won't beat Titanic...simply because Titanic would have been pirated much worse than TDK is right now.

Piracy hit very hard post Spiderman 2002. It became so bad that there are huge campaign opposing pirated copies. Anyone knows this when you rent or buy a DVD nearly they all have the same ad saying "dowloading is illegal and blah, blah, blah...." You guys seen them. You know what I'm talking about.

It's fair to use the modern dollars and simply reject inflation. Because by throwing inflation in....throw the piracy factor as well...which hurts TDK numbers more than Titanic.

Pirated copies of Titanic...ha! That's a good one.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>