Geoff Johns vs Ed Brubaker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endrict Nuul
Whos the better writer?

Raoul
johns, imo. he's more consistant than bru, who's had a few bad issues on x-men (the vulcan arc in particular)

roughrider
A wash. Though Brubaker is emerging as the best Captain America writer PERIOD. Never seen the book this good.
While Geoff Johns excels at big events books.

Val-E-Doosh
Originally posted by Raoul
johns, imo. he's more consistant than bru, who's had a few bad issues on x-men (the vulcan arc in particular)

WrathfulDwarf
Not taking anything away from Brubaker (which btw love his work on Catwoman) but I made a similar thread like this one. Except I made it with Grant Morrison.

Most of the votes were for Geoff Johns.

Juntai
Johns.
No disrespect to Brubaker though, most of what I read from him so far has been quality.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Not taking anything away from Brubaker (which btw love his work on Catwoman) but I made a similar thread like this one. Except I made it with Grant Morrison.

That's cause most people don't get Morrison's work. stick out tongue And the Xorn thing. ermm

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
That's cause most people don't get Morrison's work. stick out tongue And the Xorn thing. ermm

You maybe onto something there....mmm

Raoul
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

morrison is brilliant when he's on form, he just takes so long between comics nowadays... his NXM run was excellent, and is up there with any x-men ever written...

Erik-Lensherr
Geoff.

Brubaker's Uncanny X-Men is what made this decision easier.

willRules
Hasn't this thread already been made? confused

Originally posted by roughrider
A wash. Though Brubaker is emerging as the best Captain America writer PERIOD. Never seen the book this good.
While Geoff Johns excels at big events books.

Agreed yes

roughrider
Of course, it's largely thanks to Johns that Black Adam is one of DC's most interesting characters.
I just hope he's the one who puts the nail in Superman Prime's coffin, for good.

starlock
Geoff Johns for the win

roughrider
After a few more years have passed - I would give it to Ed Brubaker.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by roughrider
After a few more years have passed - I would give it to Ed Brubaker.

Golgo13
Ed has written one of my favorite things ever, Sleeper. But Johns pumps out more stuff that I enjoy, so it's close.

JakeTheBank
Sleeper is pretty great.

-Pr-
Still Johns, imo.

abhilegend
Johns is a shit writer now. He peaked at SCW and JSA and has been on a slippery slope for years now. His JLA is boring as phuck. The only good thing he has done for years is Rogue's Revenge. Bru on the other hand has been excellent for years and his cap is very good. Although his treatment of Zemo is nothing short of character assasination, my vote goes to him.

-Pr-
I don't agree. His Aquaman is excellent, I'm liking his JL, and his GL has been solid ever since before the reboot.

Cogito
Aquaman has been excellent, GL is solid, and JL is slightly sub-par.

But as much as I'm a fan of Johns' Aquaman reboot, it's still not as good as his JSA run or SCW. Not sure if that means he's on a slippery slope though.

comicfan11
Bru has some nice stuff like Sleeper, Criminal, Cap and Gotham Central, but Johns hands down for me.

JSA (including JLA/JSA one shot), Green Lantern (including SCW, Blackest Night), Flash (including Flashpoint, Rogues stuff), Aquaman (including Brightest Day), Hawkman, Teen Titans, Action Comics (the Legion story), Booster Gold, 52, all have ranged from good to exceptional.

Infinite Crisis and Flash Rebirth are not on the same level but can still be considered OK.

H3ll I even liked Day of Judgment.

Juntai
Still Johns.

srankmissingnin
I think Brubaker has higher highs than Geoff, but I'll admit he also has lower lows. Johns is usually pretty constant, and you've got to give the man credit because it's one thing to write the definitive Captain America, and a completely other story to write a version of Booster Gold that actually gets people to care about the character (although I guess that was technically co-written).

That said most of Bru's best work is outside of the superhero genre though, and John's doesn't really step outside of that box too often. Looking at just tights and capes, I'd give Johns' the nod, but over all it's Bru for me. I'm a fan of crime / noir / espionage, and his creator owned work always delivers.

JakeTheBank
^ That's a fair analysis.

roughrider
Ed does possess a closet full of Eisner awards, since he started working for Marvel in 2004. It's a good analogy to say Johns has had a consistent career with the many titles he's worked on; I might even call him the definitive Green Lantern writer, with everything he brought to the mythos there(just as Brubaker is the definitive Cap writer.) He just hasn't hit the artistic highs Brubaker has, which are partially in the superhero genre and the rest in noir-ish crime comics.

Golgo13
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I think Brubaker has higher highs than Geoff, but I'll admit he also has lower lows. Johns is usually pretty constant, and you've got to give the man credit because it's one thing to write the definitive Captain America, and a completely other story to write a version of Booster Gold that actually gets people to care about the character (although I guess that was technically co-written).

That said most of Bru's best work is outside of the superhero genre though, and John's doesn't really step outside of that box too often. Looking at just tights and capes, I'd give Johns' the nod, but over all it's Bru for me. I'm a fan of crime / noir / espionage, and his creator owned work always delivers.

thumb up Agreed. Are you a film noir fan? Like M, Double Indemnity, Big Sleep, etc...?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.