Best films of the year so far

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rapscallion
Ok, so we're just past halfway through the year and the summer season is starting to cool down and pretty soon the oscar contenders will start coming out. So, which films have been the best films of the year so far this year? I apologize if this has been posted, but my rationale is that i posted this at a later time in the year so in that way its a different question. Anywho, here goes...

Mine are in order (best I can)...
1. Wall E: Could be Pixar's best film. Visually prolific, relevant without being too political, and contains several cinematic allusions (most notably "2001"wink.

2. The Dark Knight: Could be the best Superhero movie ever made. A gargantuan crime epic with fantastic performances all around. All the oscar hype has been for Ledger, but I think its the screenplay that really makes it stand out.

3. Forgetting Sarah Marshal: Ultimately conventional but hilarious raunchy romantic comedy. Not as groundbreaking as Superbad or Knocked Up, but the characters are deceptively complex.

4. Cloverfield: I was surprised by what type of film it was. Ultimately it's just a monster movie, but what sets it apart isn't the realistic way it's filmed, but the realistic way the characters act. Here is a big, loud action movie in which all the characters are smart, thoughtful people.

5. The Bank Job: Makes the list cause I haven't seen too many great films yet. It still is however, a very satisfying heist thriller. Contains a good blend of style with real fact.

Honorable mention...
Mongol, Iron Man, Son of Rambow, In Bruges

MildPossession
Wall.e came to my mind first, definitely one of the best I've seen so far this year. Absolutely stunning. Son of Rambow was a lovely film too.

AdamW.
The ones I suspect to stay on my top ten list are(in order):

1. The Dark Knight
2. Wall-E
3. In Bruges

WrathfulDwarf
From what I've seen so far.

Cloverfield and The Dark Knight.

Haven't seen Iron Man, Wall E, and the Bank job. People that I know have told me those are really good.

moviebuff1084
Top 5 so far...
1. The Dark Knight
2. Cloverfield
3. Iron Man
4. Diary of the Dead
5. Wall - E

BruceSkywalker
The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Cloverfield , The Bank Job

ragesRemorse
In Bruges
The Visitor
Charlie bartlett
funny games
Cloverfeild

Rapscallion
The Visitor is supposed to be excellent. I haven't seen it yet though.

MildPossession
Have you seen the original Funny Games ragesRemorse?

Diary of the Dead?!

Anyway, I thought Bank Job was good but nothing memorable for Best of.

Blax_Hydralisk
In no particular order...

Cloverfield
Hancock
Iron Man
TDK
uh...

Toku King
I can't do just five, sorry.

BackFire
Wall-E is number one for me, big time.

Then Dark Knight, then Ironman, then Cloverfield.

celestialdemon
My top 5 would be:

1. Wall-E
2. The Dark Knight
3. Iron Man
4. Hellboy 2
5. Diary of the Dead

Nihilist
no country for old men,in bruges

S_D_J
had a hard time picking which one to put in number 1... so I'd say is a tie

1. Wall-E/The Dark Knight
3. Iron Man
4. The Incredible Hulk
5. Speed Racer (hey, I enjoyed it stick out tongue )
...Cloverfield

though I haven't seen In Bruges, Son of Rambow, Sarah Marshall, Hellboy 2, the bank job... or even Narnia (i liked the first one)

Impediment
The Dark Knight
Wall-E
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Hellboy 2

I have yet to see Cloverfield.

Darth Martin
1. The Dark Knight
2. Iron Man
3. Hancock
4. Cloverfield
5. The Incredible Hulk

MightyCelestial
I haven't seen that many,
but so far, for me,
they are:

Iron-Man
Incredible Hulk
The Dark Knight
Pineapple Express
Kung Fu Panda

Toku King
In no order(and not just 5):

The Dark Knight
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Wall-E
Cloverfield
Hancock
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army

siyaa.george
so far....... it has to be WALL-E and DARK KNIGHT.

AdamW.
Originally posted by AdamW.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Wall-E
3. In Bruges

Adding The Life Before Her Eyes

Menetnashté
1.Pineapple Express
2.Wall-E
3.Dark Knight
4.Iron Man
5. Kung Fu Panda

deathbycorn
1. Transsiberian
2. Tropic Thunder
3. The Mummy 3
4. The Ruins
5. The Strangers

Seen Iron Man and Hellboy 2 and they were ok but not worthy of my top 5.

ragesRemorse
I have to move Hellboy 2 on my top five. That movie was one of the most fun flicks i've seen in a long time.

I just watched felon the other night. I think that deserves an honorable mention. The movie is good how it is but with more time and better editing that movie could have been something unique.

I also think midnight meat train deserves a top spot for best horror movie's. I haven't seen many horror movies this year but Midnight meat train surprised me. I am still surprised lions gate decided to shit on that movie and give it such a limited release.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by deathbycorn
1. Transsiberian
2. Tropic Thunder
3. The Mummy 3
4. The Ruins
5. The Strangers

Seriously the Strangers...?

deathbycorn
Yes. Decent suspense film. The ending could of been improved but overall it was pretty good.

Kazenji
1. The Dark Knight
2. Iron Man
3. Hellboy 2
4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I could only do four

SnakeEyes
The Dark Knight was, in my opinion, the best movie to have come out this year, hands down. Iron Man and Wall-E would take my second place spots. The Incredible Hulk was fairly good, Wanted was fun and Cloverfield was a nice surprise. As for comedies, Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder are the only notable ones I can think of. Indiana Jones and Hellboy 2 were both disappointing.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by deathbycorn
1. Transsiberian
2. Tropic Thunder
3. The Mummy 3
4. The Ruins
5. The Strangers

Iron Man wasn't worthy, but The Mummy 3, The Ruins and The Strangers were?

... okay... no

deathbycorn
Dude, you are you, and I am me. We have different tastes in films because we are different people.

Iron Man was ok but they could of shown a hell of a lot more 'Iron Man'.

Kazenji
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Indiana Jones and Hellboy 2 were both disappointing.

In your opinion of course.....

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Kazenji
In your opinion of course.....

Figured that'd go without saying.

ragesRemorse
what's an opinion?

SpaceMonkey
Dark Knight
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Hellboy 2
Step Brothers
Tropic Thunder

chillmeistergen
In Bruges
Wall E
The Dark Knight.

Haven't really seen that much else this year. I'll be seeing Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express soon, though.

kunglu
1 The Dark Knight
2 Iron Man
3 Tropic Thunder
4 In Bruges
5 Sukiyaki Western Django
It will most likely change. There were so many good films, The Hulk, Cloverfield, I also liked Forbidden Kingdom, The Mummy 3, Step Brothers, The Wackness.

ricktrang
1. iron man
2. dark night
3.tropic thunder

Darth Martin
Originally posted by ricktrang
1. iron man
2. dark night confused

MildPossession
I hardly found any of Step Brothers funny... one of the worst this year for me.

AdamW.
Originally posted by AdamW.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Wall-E
3. In Bruges

Relisted:

1. Snow Angels
2. The Dark Knight
3. Wall-E
4. In Bruges
5. The Life Before Her Eyes

ragesRemorse
what is, The Life Before Her Eyes?

AdamW.
A film starring Uma Thurman, Evan Rachel Wood, and Eva Amurri(The daugher of Susan Surandon).

Fifteen years following a grisly high school shooting, Diana (Uma Thurman) is still haunted by this conundrum. An art history teacher living an idyllic life in the same town she grew up in, Diana has a caring husband in Paul (Brett Cullen) and a spirited young daughter in Emma (Gabrielle Brennan). Indeed, she would seem to have it all, but as the anniversary of the shooting approaches and preparations for a memorial begin, Diana can't help but ponder the decisions her teenage self (Evan Rachel Wood) made on that fateful day, and wonder what the future might have held for virtuous best buddy Maureen (Eva Amurri) if she were still here instead of her.

It's more pyschological in nature, than that explains. You don't see the entire shooting scene until the very end, it's rather a piece of the girls lives that is the basis of the picture. Critics thought it was convoluted, confusing, and melodramatic, but I found it to me none of those. I was never confused and thought it was a strong piece of work.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.