The Ruins

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Syren
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0963794/

A group of friends' leisurely Mexican holiday takes a turn for the worse when they, along with a fellow tourist, embark on a remote archaeological dig in the jungle, where something evil lives among the ruins.

I actually thought this was pretty good, in a gruesome, classic horror movie sort of way. I fully expected it to be pants (you know, with killer plants being the big bad) and I can't stand Jena Malone, but I ended up enjoying it. I had to turn my face away from the screen on a couple of occasions and the ending was pretty satisfactory. It left itself open for a sequel.

Anyone seen it? Thoughts? big grin

BackFire
I saw it.

Thought it was shitty.

Was like Little Shop of Horrors but with crazy Brazilians and without the humor and the recognition that the idea of conscious plants killing people and making noise (copying the sound of a cell phone and their voices? Come on.) is inherently goofy.

Some of the gore effects were decent. But no, murdering plants doesn't fly to me.

Röland
I haven't seen it but I would like to.

If you liked the movie Syren, you should read the book.

MildPossession
The book ends differently I believe, I've been told that no one survives at all out of the group of friends in the book.

As for the movie, nothing special.

chillmeistergen
Sounds appallingly shit.

Blax_Hydralisk
I could imagine someone like Chill in this movie, though.

chillmeistergen
What an odd thing to imagine.

ragesRemorse
Rented this movie at the redbox. It wasn't a waste of a $dollar, but it isn't worth anymore. I was surprised at how incredibly boring the movie was.

Syren
I'll probably read the book.

No one survives, or at least we are left with the impression that Jena's character is pretty ****ed at the end.

I thought the gruesome effects were its saving grace and the acting was passable. I'd recommend it smile

Antediluvian89
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Rented this movie at the redbox. It wasn't a waste of a $dollar, but it isn't worth anymore. I was surprised at how incredibly boring the movie was. True. I really felt like I was wasting my time just like those dumbasses were when they were figuring out how do escape.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by MildPossession
The book ends differently I believe, I've been told that no one survives at all out of the group of friends in the book.

As for the movie, nothing special.

I love your use of the spoiler tags, like I couldn't figure out what you said. lol laughing out loud

MildPossession
It could have been the opposite stick out tongue

Darth Vicious
I was expecting so much more. It was nothing special. I wasnt bored but was looking forward to the end by te middle of the movie. The cell phone sound thing was ridiculous!

SnakeEyes
I don't expect anything worthwhile from this movie. That said, I'll probably never see it. Horror movies tend to suck as a whole nowadays and this movie didn't look like any exception.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Antediluvian89
True. I really felt like I was wasting my time just like those dumbasses were when they were figuring out how do escape.

You know what, you actually make it sound more entertaining that it really was. laughing

Syren
Ok, so none of you liked it laughing

I'd still recommend it to anyone who appreciates a classic horror that doesn't take much brain power to follow stick out tongue

=Tired Hiker=
So, Ruins ruins the horror genre?

kodak
Normally i trust BackFire's opinions on movies, lets not joke around, dude knows his shit.

but.
Originally posted by Syren
Ok, so none of you liked it laughing

I'd still recommend it to anyone who appreciates a classic horror that doesn't take much brain power to follow stick out tongue ima go with this.

when it came out my first thought was "oh boy... sure aint guna go see this" but since i saw it on the wall at the movie store beside my place, im thinking i might just wanna to see it.

im going to trust Syren

which means i am going to rent it.

AdamW.
There were parts that I'd rather have not seen, but I found the characters survival rather intriguing. Other than that the ending was just horrible and differed from the book, which is surprising considering the script was written by the author.

deathbycorn
The Ruins is a pretty cool flick. Better than most of the crap that comes out nowadys. Fairly original.

=Tired Hiker=
I thought it was worth renting. Better than I expected after reading this thread, and a bit different than the usual horror movie. It had it's crap moments, a bit slow at times, but I was hooked for the most part. And as I recall, the plants never really killed anyone in that group. They more or less killed each other, or themselves due to the circumstances and paranoid delusions, which was caused by the plants, but the plants never actually committed the coup de gras. Also, I thought the acting was very good, there were some challenging scenes in there that I think were executed quite nicely.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.