batman psychology and philosophy...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

atharpina
ok ive always wanted to talk about this with people... but none of my friends are familiar enough with batman..

over the years writers for batman have established each character with some sort of symbolism ya know? there are many characters that are made to represent whole ideas and philosophies.. and all of the villians seem to somehow mirror batman or become the opposite of him. like batman = order and the joker = chaos.. thats an obvious one..

what do you think your favorite characters stand for and why does their symbolism make you love them sooo much?

Mairuzu
Riddler = ...idk???

GET IT!?

GET IT!????

willofthewisp
The History Channel had a Psychology of Batman special and as a psych major myself, I was always attracted to the villains with mental disorders, namely Two-Face, the Joker, and the Riddler. I think a huge theme in the Batman world concerns what makes someone a monster and how a monster is made. The Riddler is so fascinating to me because he craves attention and praise for how smart he is, leading me to believe something in his life prevented him from getting a lot of love and affection. The mind is so fragile and Batman really is a stark contrast to the villains because he's probably faced the greatest tragedy of all and is the only one to make something good out of it.

The Heap
I think the Scarecrow stands for fear. .

I think the main reason I like the Scarecrow however is because I can relate to the whole "fear premise". I suffered through my childhood due to school bullies and they all, pretty much, literully live around my home/block. I'm still ****ing scared to be out on the streets alone.

willofthewisp
Poison Ivy could stand for fanaticism, when passion goes wrong.

Bardock42
Joker = Chaos
Two Face = thin line between good and bad
Scarecrow = Fear
Poison Ivy = Fanaticism
Mr. Freeze = Evil through love
Bane = Determination
Catwoman = similar to Two Face but on a much smaller scale, more leaning to good

You mean something like that?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.