Olympic Games: Track and Field

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Placidity
The following have qualified for the comic Olympic Games 2008 track and field:

Wolverine
Daredevil
Batman
Captain America
Beast
Spiderman
Green Goblin
Omega Red
Bane
Cyclops
Blade
Black Panther

- Obviously no equipment is allowed, only tracksuit and pants =]
- Follows standard track and field rules

e.g Using webbing to help in an event is not allowed.

* Who wins (or first,second and third) in each of the following events?

* Who wins overall (first, second and third)?

This is my system I made up to help come up with the overall winner.

1st = 3.5 points
2nd = 2 points
3rd = 1 point

Track Events:

100m Sprint

400m Run

10,000m Run

110m Hurdles

Field Events:

High Jump

Long Jump

Shot put

Discus

Javelin Throw

Pole Vault

Placidity
---- My example ----

1st - Spiderman = 18.5 points
2nd - Beast = 10.5 points
3rd - Captain America = 7.5 points

Track Events:

100m Sprint
1- Beast
2- Captain America
3- Batman

400m Run
1- Captain America
2- Blade
3- Batman

10,000m Run
1- Wolverine
2- Captain America
3- Blade

110m Hurdles
1- Spiderman
2- Beast
3- Daredevil

Field Events:

High Jump
1-Spiderman
2-Beast
3- Daredevil

Long Jump
1- Spiderman
2- Beast
3- Daredevil

Shot put
1- Green Goblin
2- Spiderman
3- Beast

Discus
1- Green Goblin
2- Spiderman
3- Beast

Javelin Throw
1- Green Goblin
2- Spiderman
3- Wolverine

Pole Vault
1- Daredevil
2- Spiderman
3- Beast

DigiMark007
You realize that more strength should equal a much higher top speed. Which would put Spidey and his 15 tons atop all of the running categories (better off the starting gun too due to spidey-sense and reflexes). And a 10K isn't long enough for him to tire enough for it to matter to guys like Cap who don't tire. And strength also equals higher jumps and throws.

So Pete sweeps. Unless for some reason we're saying Beast is stronger, which some seem to think but has never been confirmed by either words or feats. Really, he should just be taken out to make it more competitive.

Apolloknight
Originally posted by DigiMark007
You realize that more strength should equal a much higher top speed.

No.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Apolloknight
No.

Well, not always, but if you have someone who is many magnitudes stronger than anyone else in the field (15 tons compared to maybe 2 tons max for anyone else there), they're going to be able to push themselves forward with far more force.

Other factors are involved in running, true. But leg strength is part of it, and a difference this big is going to be insurmountable for the rest. Olympic runners have massive leg strength. there's a reason for that. Less so with distance runners, but given the endurance of everyone here, even the 10K would be closer to a sprint than a distance race. You'd have to go toward marathon length before I'd start to consider it an equalizer for Pete's leg strength.

Sorry, Goblin is stronger than 2 tons. Maybe Omega Red too. Reflexes should also equal a far higher turnover rate to his legs than the others, so he'd pretty much stomp any of the runs, even with people closer to him in strength.

DestinyGuy678
Track Events:

100m Sprint - spiderman

400m Run - spiderman

10,000m Run - captain america

110m Hurdles - black panther

Field Events:

High Jump - spiderman

Long Jump -- spiderman

Shot put - green goblin

Discus - green goblin

Javelin Throw green goblin

Pole Vault - dare devil

DestinyGuy678
Well, not always, but if you have someone who is many magnitudes stronger than anyone else in the field (15 tons compared to maybe 2 tons max for anyone else there), they're going to be able to push themselves forward with far more force.

Other factors are involved in running, true. But leg strength is part of it, and a difference this big is going to be insurmountable for the rest. Olympic runners have massive leg strength. there's a reason for that. Less so with distance runners, but given the endurance of everyone here, even the 10K would be closer to a sprint than a distance race. You'd have to go toward marathon length before I'd start to consider it an equalizer for Pete's leg strength.

Sorry, Goblin is stronger than 2 tons. Maybe Omega Red too. Reflexes should also equal a far higher turnover rate to his legs than the others, so he'd pretty much stomp any of the runs, even with people closer to him in strength. youre right, however experience plays a factor too, i nevents like hurdling I can easily see the less experienced hurdles leaping over the hurdles (thus slowing them down a lot) which I why I see black panther as winning the hurdles (I think he might be the only one with a backround i ntrack and field)

DigiMark007
Lulz. Pete could bound over the hurdles 5 at a time in about half a second and be done with the race (doesn't matter how you get over them). Mind telling me how T'Challa beats that?

Or how Goblin's 10 tons out-throws Pete's 15 (or more, depending on the source)? Or how Pete doesn't push off the pole vault at the top for another 50 feet or so?

Cap in the long race is the only defensable non-Spidey event winner. Like I said, he's out of place in this thread.

Originally posted by DestinyGuy678
youre right, however experience plays a factor too, i nevents like hurdling I can easily see the less experienced hurdles leaping over the hurdles (thus slowing them down a lot) which I why I see black panther as winning the hurdles (I think he might be the only one with a backround i ntrack and field)

see above

DestinyGuy678
Lulz. Pete could bound over the hurdles 5 at a time in about half a second and be done with the race (doesn't matter how you get over them). Mind telling me how T'Challa beats that?

Or how Goblin's 10 tons out-throws Pete's 15 (or more, depending on the source)? Or how Pete doesn't push off the pole vault at the top for another 50 feet or so?

Cap in the long race is the only defensable non-Spidey event winner. Like I said, he's out of place in this thread.

see above xactly, bounding over hurdles creates a large wind resistance and slows down that racer tremendously, by the time pete touched the ground again he'd be in last place.

this is precisely the reason why you dont bound/jump over hurdles, you hurdle hurdles.

DigiMark007
No, we hurdle the hurdles because human beings can't jump further. Your wind resistance is exactly the same running as it would be in the air. Did you know that real-world Olympic sprinters are actually off the ground entirely more than they are touching it? You're actually talking about accelleration, which can't be aceived in the air. But it wouldn't matter due to Pete's strength difference.

Pete could clear 110 feet in two forwards leaps, and about 2-3 seconds, which wouldn't have to take him more than a foot or two above the hurdles. Your physics lesson would apply if we were talking about comparable power sets, where small factors would count. but we're not. Pete would be leaping with dozens of times the force of T-Challa's first push-off, if not hundreds of times more. Wind resistance all you want....BP's screwed. By a lot, at that.

DestinyGuy678
No, we hurdle the hurdles because human beings can't jump further. Your wind resistance is exactly the same running as it would be in the air. Did you know that real-world Olympic sprinters are actually off the ground entirely more than they are touching it? You're actually talking about accelleration, which can't be aceived in the air. But it wouldn't matter due to Pete's strength difference.

Pete could clear 110 feet in two forwards leaps, and about 2-3 seconds, which wouldn't have to take him more than a foot or two above the hurdles. Your physics lesson would apply if we were talking about comparable power sets. but we're not. Pete would be leaping with dozens of times the force of T-Challa's first push-off, if not hundreds of times more.

have you hurdled before? the way people hit records is because they stay i nthe air as short as possible, the longer yo ustay i nthe air the slower you are.

olympic hurdles are barely off the ground

take a look at liu xiang:
WRXZAw6vUiU

hurdle training makes the point that you have to slap down your leg as soon as possible so you get in the air. jumping is the last thing you want to do,

spiderman jumps through the air he slowly slows down while everyone else is only picking up speed, hed come in last. trust me if people jumped they could get a lot farther away fro mthe hurdle, but hats not what you want. you want to be as close to the hurdle really as possible, yo uwant to be doing most of the race on your feet not in the air.

Apolloknight
Here is a question for everybody....How fast does everyone THINK (keyword) spiderman is in a straight line?

MPH or Times would suffice.

DigiMark007
Here is a question for everybody....How fast does everyone THINK (keyword) spiderman is in a straight line?

Any of our opinions would be a complete guess, so it's not really important. What is important is that we know the ratio of leg strength between the competitors, and thus know that whatever MPH it would be for Spidey, it would be far less for anyone else on this list.

DestinyGuy's knowledge of sprinting is fairly standard, and I've conceded that he has a valid point. But the runners that he is showing are all of very comparable levels of speed, reflexes, and strength. Put someone with 2x the reflexes, 5x the strength on the track with those guys. You wouldn't need perfect form. You wouldn't need to be close to it. And keep in mind, the 2x and 5x are being ridiculously generous to Spidey's competitors. And as stated before, he wouldn't even need proper technique. He can cover close to 100m in a single leap. And not a looping, high leap, which would be needed for the physics-based argument to hold ground, but a straightforward one that just barely clears the hurdles. His rate of accelleration and topspeed would be so far beyond the others that he'd have a few second to wait before the 2nd place finisher came in (sans perhaps Goblin).

It's like having an overhead lifting competition between Thing and Spider-Man, then arguing that the Thing wouldn't use proper lifting technique, while Spidey would, and would thus win. It's equally as preposterous in this thread.

guy222
spidey wins the most

redhotrash
That runner with no legs competes and beats them all. Seriously though no way should he be allowed to compete

Juk3n
Pete sweeps - no doubt

wins enough of the events to win overall

K-Dog
Yeah, Spidey isn't just strong, he is light and super agile and springy. He would clean house in any running/jumping events, with possible exception on very long distance running because I'm not sure of the endurance capabilities of everybody else. He may still win that too. He strength would really do well in the throwing events too. Keep in mind that the shot/discus/javelin will be so ridiculously light to these people that it becomes more of a speed event as well--like us throwing a small rock or ball.

occultdestroyer
Speed Force FTW

Soljer

Slower than the sixty miles per hour we know Cap can hit.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Soljer
Slower than the sixty miles per hour we know Cap can hit.

Care to explain how faster reflexes and greater leg strength equate to a lower top speed? I'm not trying to be difficult, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

george '06
spidey sweeps

jalek moye
spidey wins all of them

Soljer
Care to explain how faster reflexes and greater leg strength equate to a lower top speed? I'm not trying to be difficult, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Simple. Pure strength doesn't directly correlate to top speed. The Hulk is slower than Quicksilver, even though Pietro's leg press is thousands of times lower than Banner's.

Spidey's best straight-line running speed feat isn't as impressive as his competitor's, so his only defense is pure speculation. And last I checked, speculation wasn't worth much on the forum.

Placidity
Um, lets exclude Spiderman than? I didn't intend for him to jump over 100m in the race lol.

No Spidey Thanks.

Mindset
Simple. Pure strength doesn't directly correlate to top speed. The Hulk is slower than Quicksilver, even though Pietro's leg press is thousands of times lower than Banner's.

Spidey's best straight-line running speed feat isn't as impressive as his competitor's, so his only defense is pure speculation. And last I checked, speculation wasn't worth much on the forum.

Except Hulk weighs about 3x as much as Quicksilver.

The comparison between Quicksilver and Hulk doesn't really correlate, but I see where you're going.

Though I still feel Spiderman's top speed is higher than Cap's.

Placidity
Well, in the real world, foot speed is whats important. Determined by genes are the proportion of fast-twitch fibres to slow-twitch fibres.

As they say, sprinters are born, not made.

However, building strength in the body, especially the legs does have a big impact. Think about professional sprinters and their amount of muscle mass.

Apolloknight
Originally posted by Mindset
Except Hulk weighs about 3x as much as Quicksilver.

The comparison between Quicksilver and Hulk doesn't really correlate, but I see where you're going.

Though I still feel Spiderman's top speed is higher than Cap's.

Except Hulk's legs are about 300000 times stronger then Quicksilver. He has more muscles; he should be faster correct?

However you are right, you cant compare a Mutant and an Accident whose physiological makeup is totally different then a human to straight line sprinting as we know today.

However what we can take from this is that Quicksilver DNA or powers; if you want to call it that; is what caused him to be born for speed (as somebody said earlier, sprinters are born not made). However he leg presses far less then Hulk, hell, for less then spiderman; yet I feel it would be hard pressed to find somebody debating that spidey is faster then Peitro because he is stronger.

Same thing applies to this, just because spidey has far more strength, and even better reflexes, in a straight line sprint it would only help him at the gun.

Now he could easily leap frog across the field and win, but then, that's not a sprint now is it?

100 meter dash; not 100 meter leap frog.

As soljer said earlier, spideys best straight line feat cant match caps.

Apolloknight
Originally posted by Placidity

However, building strength in the body, especially the legs does have a big impact. Think about professional sprinters and their amount of muscle mass.

Usain Bolt, 6"5 190lbs. World record holder in the 100m dash.

Kinda slender for his height, but his body is built for fast twitch muscle response and overturn. He doesn't have alot of muscle mass.

Placidity
I guess you can say he is lean, but he is still very well built. All sprinters do weights to increase power to mass ratio, but try not to become too heavy (like a weight lifter).

The power generated by stronger muscles also help alot with the burst of speed at the starting blocks, and even with driving the arms during the sprint.

Don't get me wrong though, I've been saying that if you don't have the basic speed (determined by genes), having a strong body core and legs aint going to help too much.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Bolt_2007.2.jpg

Starscream M
explosiveness determines short distance speed, not pure power

most bodybuilders can leg press much more than track runners, but they aren't built for speed

Placidity
Originally posted by Starscream M
explosiveness determines short distance speed, not pure power

I think the correct term you are after is plyometric contraction. They are all related in some way though.

DigiMark007

It's not speculation if there's a rational backing for the opinion. Not only could Spidey propel himself forward at a MUCH faster rate because of his strength, but his faster reflexes mean that he'd be able to get more leg-pumps in per second than anyone else. Faster leg speed + greater strength = easily greater speed. There's a difference between not having a scan and not having a reason. This is just common sense.

Citing QS doesn't really mean much. His powers allow for him to recoil his legs and push off again many thousands of times per second. No one that we're talking about has such powers. But yes, to complete the analogy, Hulk would also be much faster than anyone in this field (Spidey included). He might not be the best out of the blocks, but his top speed would be far beyond anything Pete could muster.

spetznaz
This would be an almost clear sweep by Spiderman (with Beast coming up second, and the rest competing for third).

Reasons are simple: for anything requiring throwing strength, Spidey has the perfect mix of pure strength as well as launch speed. While his ability to throw a discus is not the same as that of (say) Superman or the Hulk, he should still be able to easily throw it well over a several block radius (outdoing any of the other contenders ...and anyways, Superman and Hulk, who could throw the discuss out of the continent, are not competing). This applies to other throw events (e.g. the Javelin).

When it comes to speed, he is also faster than any of them. While someone may bring up Cap or TChala or Batman, none of them have the linear speed that Parker can bring to the game. Remember, relative speed of a spider and all that jazz. Now, I know the Beast can also bound quite quickly, but this is Parker's game again.

Someone brought up wind resistance ....to be honest it is not a factor. The reason athletes do not just jump as high as they can is NOT because of wind shear and resistance effects ....it is BECAUSE they are trying to have the most efficient motion possible. This is why even swimmers strokes (olympic swimmers) are super efficient ....they spend most of their time working on their strokes since dynamics count for much. (By the way, air resistance is very different from wind resistance when it comes to athletics ....you will notice that olympic swimmers will wear several hundred dollar suits to cut down on water drag, but in the 100m running sprint there is not much need for that since the drag coefficient is not the same as it is in water).

Furthermore, unlike a human, Spiderman can leap many dozens of feet with a bound.

Actually, let me not even bother with comics and look at the real world ....at full speed, the African Cheetah actually travels around 21 feet PER bound. When you see it in video it doesn't seem so, but that is around 20-21 feet per bound. Most of the time it is actually in the air.

Anyways, this brings the endurance competitions. 10km is a long distance for many people (I've run it several times, although you should note that before coming to the US I was from Kenya, thus i have an advantage there .....the higher altitudes gave my hemoglobin greater affinity for oxygen carry, as well as giving me more red blood cells in the first place ....it is known as acclimatization). People like Captain America, being peak human and also never tiring, have major advantages here (Cap would be like a 'super' Kenyan or Ethiopian marathon runner). However it would still be Spiderman's event .....his greater speed would carry him further far faster, and while he may tire faster than Steve, it is not as if he is a normal human (again, the guy is not human .....at least not like Aunt May). His rest and stop cycles would be more than Captain (who wouldn't need to rest), but Spiderman's other physical feats would make him win.

Again, this would be a sweep for Parker, with the only real competition being from Beast (again, another not-so-human contender. While people like Captain America may never tire, imagine racing against a greyhound ....no matter how 'super' you are, as long as you are HUMAN you will never defeat the animal. It will run faster than you are, and will tire far less than you can ....in Africa hunting dogs will run full speed for miles without even tiring when they are hunting down antelope. They may not have the speed of a cheetah, but they will run nonstop for miles at full speed with only a hanging tongue to indicate any exertion).

Winner: Spiderman
Silver: Beast.
Bronze: The rest can sort it out amongst themselves.

DestinyGuy678
Any of our opinions would be a complete guess, so it's not really important. What is important is that we know the ratio of leg strength between the competitors, and thus know that whatever MPH it would be for Spidey, it would be far less for anyone else on this list.

DestinyGuy's knowledge of sprinting is fairly standard, and I've conceded that he has a valid point. But the runners that he is showing are all of very comparable levels of speed, reflexes, and strength. Put someone with 2x the reflexes, 5x the strength on the track with those guys. You wouldn't need perfect form. You wouldn't need to be close to it. And keep in mind, the 2x and 5x are being ridiculously generous to Spidey's competitors. And as stated before, he wouldn't even need proper technique. He can cover close to 100m in a single leap. And not a looping, high leap, which would be needed for the physics-based argument to hold ground, but a straightforward one that just barely clears the hurdles. His rate of accelleration and topspeed would be so far beyond the others that he'd have a few second to wait before the 2nd place finisher came in (sans perhaps Goblin).

It's like having an overhead lifting competition between Thing and Spider-Man, then arguing that the Thing wouldn't use proper lifting technique, while Spidey would, and would thus win. It's equally as preposterous in this thread. oh ok I understand

Placidity
Originally posted by spetznaz
This would be an almost clear sweep by Spiderman (with Beast coming up second, and the rest competing for third).

Reasons are simple: for anything requiring throwing strength, Spidey has the perfect mix of pure strength as well as launch speed. While his ability to throw a discus is not the same as that of (say) Superman or the Hulk, he should still be able to easily throw it well over a several block radius (outdoing any of the other contenders ...and anyways, Superman and Hulk, who could throw the discuss out of the continent, are not competing). This applies to other throw events (e.g. the Javelin).

When it comes to speed, he is also faster than any of them. While someone may bring up Cap or TChala or Batman, none of them have the linear speed that Parker can bring to the game. Remember, relative speed of a spider and all that jazz. Now, I know the Beast can also bound quite quickly, but this is Parker's game again.

Someone brought up wind resistance ....to be honest it is not a factor. The reason athletes do not just jump as high as they can is NOT because of wind shear and resistance effects ....it is BECAUSE they are trying to have the most efficient motion possible. This is why even swimmers strokes (olympic swimmers) are super efficient ....they spend most of their time working on their strokes since dynamics count for much. (By the way, air resistance is very different from wind resistance when it comes to athletics ....you will notice that olympic swimmers will wear several hundred dollar suits to cut down on water drag, but in the 100m running sprint there is not much need for that since the drag coefficient is not the same as it is in water).

Furthermore, unlike a human, Spiderman can leap many dozens of feet with a bound.

Actually, let me not even bother with comics and look at the real world ....at full speed, the African Cheetah actually travels around 21 feet PER bound. When you see it in video it doesn't seem so, but that is around 20-21 feet per bound. Most of the time it is actually in the air.

Anyways, this brings the endurance competitions. 10km is a long distance for many people (I've run it several times, although you should note that before coming to the US I was from Kenya, thus i have an advantage there .....the higher altitudes gave my hemoglobin greater affinity for oxygen carry, as well as giving me more red blood cells in the first place ....it is known as acclimatization). People like Captain America, being peak human and also never tiring, have major advantages here (Cap would be like a 'super' Kenyan or Ethiopian marathon runner). However it would still be Spiderman's event .....his greater speed would carry him further far faster, and while he may tire faster than Steve, it is not as if he is a normal human (again, the guy is not human .....at least not like Aunt May). His rest and stop cycles would be more than Captain (who wouldn't need to rest), but Spiderman's other physical feats would make him win.

Again, this would be a sweep for Parker, with the only real competition being from Beast (again, another not-so-human contender. While people like Captain America may never tire, imagine racing against a greyhound ....no matter how 'super' you are, as long as you are HUMAN you will never defeat the animal. It will run faster than you are, and will tire far less than you can ....in Africa hunting dogs will run full speed for miles without even tiring when they are hunting down antelope. They may not have the speed of a cheetah, but they will run nonstop for miles at full speed with only a hanging tongue to indicate any exertion).

Winner: Spiderman
Silver: Beast.
Bronze: The rest can sort it out amongst themselves.

A man after my own heart.

I love your style. Logic is also top. But what I love most is how you integrate real-life science and knowledge into your debates. My favourite debater cool

(I am not an ass-kisser btw laughing )

But, I reckon Wolverine will probably take the 10k run from Capt, since he has the healing factor that removes waste products from muscles (e.g lactic acid), which means he can run at a pretty fast pace without tiring for quite a while.

DigiMark007
Cap doesn't produce lactic acid period. And assuming roughly similar strength levels for the two of them, Logan weighs more due to his skeleton. Cap in the distance race is probably the only non-Spidey-win possibility in the whole thread. Though I'm of the mind that it's not far enough for Pete to get tired enough to fall behind (which he would eventually, it's just a question of when).

Boy Blue
Hulk does move at something like 300 mph... or so I hear.

(To Digi's argument above).

Placidity
Cap doesn't produce lactic acid period. And assuming roughly similar strength levels for the two of them, Logan weighs more due to his skeleton. Cap in the distance race is probably the only non-Spidey-win possibility in the whole thread. Though I'm of the mind that it's not far enough for Pete to get tired enough to fall behind (which he would eventually, it's just a question of when).

But Wolverine's enhanced strength (he does have enhanced strength right?) compensates for extra weight he carries. I'm sure Wolverine fans would be quick to show you how fast can be (even though some of it is BS laughing out loud ).

But then again, if Capt doesn't produce waste products (is that really true or does his body just removes it quickly?), than I guess I'd lean more towards Cap taking it.

DigiMark007
He doesn't produce it at all. He can literally never tire. Any distance race favors him....though like I said, it would need to be sufficiently long. Most of these guys have epic endurance, so a 10K won't really make them break a sweat.

Soljer
There's a difference between not having a scan and not having a reason.

Not on the forum, there isn't. erm.

Look, to be honest, I feel the Spidey should easily be at least twice as fast as Cap is, but until it's canon on the page, I'm not going to pretend like it is.

Starscream M
black panther wins most of the track events

and spiderman wins all of the strength events

DigiMark007
Not on the forum, there isn't. erm.

Look, to be honest, I feel the Spidey should easily be at least twice as fast as Cap is, but until it's canon on the page, I'm not going to pretend like it is.

We also don't have a scan of, say, Hercules running faster than Spider-Man. Or Cap. Or maybe we do, but we don't for some other Class 100 brick. Where do you finally break down and concede the point? Or is Cap faster than Herc because Herc doesn't have a MPH quoted on-panel? When dealing with such differences in strength, it becomes silly to be so absolute about it. And Pete is no less than x7 Cap's strength, and maybe 1.5x faster reflexes. And I'm being generous to Cap with those numbers, imo. And we do have scans aplenty to back those numbers. Claiming that Cap is faster in the face of such concrete knowledge borders on ludicrous.

Doctor-Alvis
Originally posted by DestinyGuy678
xactly, bounding over hurdles creates a large wind resistance and slows down that racer tremendously, by the time pete touched the ground again he'd be in last place.

this is precisely the reason why you dont bound/jump over hurdles, you hurdle hurdles.
What? Maybe if Spidey has the raccoon tail from Mario Bros. and floats down.

Metalmanx
Digimark said it all before I could.

Spidey sweeps.

Jayct
The argument that wind resistance plays a part (and that spiderman would slow down in the air when he leaps 5 hurdles at a time allowing others to pass him etc etc.) is flawed.

Very simple scientific way to prove it. (We did this in rugby) Get 15 guys to stand 5 yards away from each other and pass a ball from one person to the next while someone races the ball at top speed. You can pass the ball to every single person or you can skip 5 people at a time, it doesn't matter, the ball will always reach the finish line before the runner. Air resistance have no effect at all.

Spidey leaps twice to the finish line and downs a coke before the rest of the field catches up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.