The Top 10 Most Scientifically Inaccurate Movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
This looked like a fun topic to discuss.

Click here for the full article.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

10) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Indiana Jones has survived a lot of improbable adventures, be it fleeing ancient spherical boulders or fighting off cult members while dangling off a rope bridge. But few scrapes have tested the bounds of believability more than Indy's escape from a nuclear bomb blast thanks to a lead-lined fridge. The problem is that, even if he didn't get flattened, horribly burned or suffocated (kids, don't hide in refrigerators), Indy almost certainly would have gotten a lethal dose of radiation from the fallout. And that's a lot scarier than snakes.

9) Outbreak

A monkey threatens a small town with a virus that kills everybody in less time than your average DMV visit, and only Dustin Hoffman can stop it. The trouble with a disease that virulent is it kills the host too fast to spread. Otherwise, we would be dead from the Ebola virus. Also, it generally takes longer to make a cure from monkey serum than it does to make a latte. Dustin Hoffman does look great in a hazmat suit, though.

8) Total Recall

The red planet's gravitational pull is roughly 1/3rd that of the Earth's. So if, for example, an Austrian bodybuilder were to visit Mars, he would be bounding across the room like Michael Jordan. Another problem: when exposed to the thin atmosphere of Mars, like bad guy Cohaagen at the end of the movie, you would likely suffer from a raging case of the bends and you would asphyxiate -- both of which are plenty lethal -- but your head wouldn't bulge out and explode like an overused stress toy.

7) Jurassic Park

Having a wildlife park full of dinosaurs would be a really cool idea if it weren't for a few problems. No, not imperfect security or the possibility of spontaneous lizard sex changes. The problem is that it would be almost impossible to clone the dinosaurs based on DNA pulled from the guts of a 25 million-year-old mosquito. The dinosaur DNA's double helix most certainly would have been broken down into individual chunks, mixing together with whatever else the mosquitoes might have eaten along with some of the insect's own genetic material. Any creature constructed from that mess might be the stuff of nightmares, but probably wouldn't look like a T. Rex.

6) The Matrix

Much in the way of physics in the Matrix -- like dodging bullets and running up walls -- gets a pass because it's all within a massive virtual world. But in reality, our supposed robot overlords are a bit dim. Humans are a remarkably inefficient energy source. Instead of turning the human race into Duracells, the machines would probably get more energy just setting those goopy people pods on fire.

5) The Core

In the movie, the Earth's inner core -- a nickel-iron mass about 1500 miles in diameter -- stops rotating, causing the planet's magnetic field to collapse and microwave radiation from space to blast through the atmosphere. But microwaves aren't affected by magnetism, and the radiation that comes from space is too weak to damage anything here. What's more, if the core did stop rotating for whatever reason, we'd have more to worry about than that. The energy stored in the core would have to go somewhere, and the effect on the planet would be equivalent to five trillion nuclear bombs going off at once.

4) The Day After Tomorrow

Roland Emmerich brought his trademark academic rigor to the realm of climatology and the result proved to be so silly that NASA refused to help with the filming of the movie. For one thing, it would require most of Antarctica to melt in order to submerge New York City to the level it is in the movie. If all the rays of the sun were directed at the South Pole, its ice would melt in about two and half years. This ridiculousness drove Duke University paleoclimatologist William Hyde to publicly state, "This movie is to climate science as Frankenstein is to heart transplant surgery."

3) Starship Troopers

Could a band of cave-dwelling, preverbal giant insects really have the sophisticated mathematics and technology to hurl a rock millions of miles through space to crash into Earth? Plus, 70% of the planet's surface is covered in water, so they only had a 3 out of 10 chance at even hitting solid ground, let alone a major city like Buenos Aires.

2) Independence Day

That mammoth mothership hovering over the earth in geostationary orbit would be doing more than just freaking out the world's population. Because of its close proximity and mass -- 1/4th that of the moon, according to the film -- the flying saucer's gravitational pull would cause massive tidal waves, volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. The aliens wouldn't even have to roll out their anti-matter ray to blow up the White House -- it would already be underwater.

1) Armageddon

We could put together a long list of all the things wrong with Michael Bay's feel-good ode to global destruction, but NASA has already and they counted at least 168 mistakes. But perhaps the biggest problem is that the plot itself -- splitting a Texas-sized rock in two with a single nuke -- has a Texas-sized hole in it. We don't have a nuclear bomb anywhere near powerful enough to do the job. As strange as it might seem, this is a case of a Michael Bay movie not having a big enough explosion.

Does this list look to be accurate, or can anyone else name a few mentionable movies that didn't make the cut?

Mr Parker
all good points.

dadudemon
I made the matrix point in 1999. Cows, blue wales...or various other large animals would make for MUCH better sources of heat energy than a human. But that wouldn't be a good plot, would it?

And if the machines figured out how to make floating machinery...then why couldn't they figure out how to suspend solar panels right above the cloud line?

In fact, with their awesome machine calculating abilities...wouldn't they be able to harvest enough materials, in the hundreds of years they had humans as energy sources, to make the entire outside(well...there'd probably be blank spots at the poles) of the planet one gigantic sheath of solar panels? Certainly a lot more thermal energy to be collected from the sun than a human body.

Impediment
Originally posted by dadudemon
And if the machines figured out how to make floating machinery...then why couldn't they figure out how to suspend solar panels right above the cloud line?

I asked that very question after I saw the movie in 1999.

S_D_J
I made the matrix point in 1999. Cows, blue wales...or various other large animals would make for MUCH better sources of heat energy than a human. But that wouldn't be a good plot, would it?

In fact, with their awesome machine calculating abilities...wouldn't they be able to harvest enough materials, in the hundreds of years they had humans as energy sources, to make the entire outside(well...there'd probably be blank spots at the poles) of the planet one gigantic sheath of solar panels? Certainly a lot more thermal energy to be collected from the sun than a human body.

Because Robots are stupid... didn't you see the ending? roll eyes (sarcastic)

forumcrew
Wait so the fact that are nuke isnt quite as powerfull as the one used in the movie is less realistic than the entire concept of the matrix? This list is retarded.

Radical
Originally posted by Impediment
Total Recall

The red planet's gravitational pull is roughly 1/3rd that of the Earth's. So if, for example, an Austrian bodybuilder were to visit Mars, he would be bounding across the room like Michael Jordan. Another problem: when exposed to the thin atmosphere of Mars, like bad guy Cohaagen at the end of the movie, you would likely suffer from a raging case of the bends and you would asphyxiate -- both of which are plenty lethal -- but your head wouldn't bulge out and explode like an overused stress toy.

I always thought that was from atmospheric decompression or something.

Radical
One time my parents* were watching some "erupting volcano threatens small town" movie on the Sci-Fi Channel (kind of a poor man's Volcano or Dante's Peak), and one of the characters got hit by the erupting lava and got badly burned. Mom complained that the guy should've been instantly disintegrated the second the lava even got near him.

*Yeah, I live with my parents; wanna make something of it? stick out tongue

Quiero Mota
Two movies that should've made that list: Frankenstein and The Island of Dr. Moreau.

One thing that always annoyed me are movies that try to give a science to vampires like Blade and Underworld. Just let the supernatural stay supernatural.

Toku King
All "Godzilla" movies should be #1. Radioactivity hitting fossils does not equal giant monster.

Placidity
Star Wars IV - Three suns are shown in the sun-rise on tatooine (or wherever the hell).

Blax_Hydralisk
Jurassic Park.

The T-Rex wasn't around until the Triassic. It didn't exist during the Jurassic period.

Peach
I don't think the Machine's using humans as batteries in Matrix was meant to be scientifically accurate or efficient or anything. Rather, it was meant to be the Machine's going "Haha, you lost your war with us and now we're going to enslave you for the remainder of time".

chillmeistergen
Well, it was quite clearly more of a philosophical take on things, than a scientific one.

I'm surprised E.T isn't on the list, with some scientific genius backing up their choice with - "Bikes can't fly!!"

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Peach
I don't think the Machine's using humans as batteries in Matrix was meant to be scientifically accurate or efficient or anything. Rather, it was meant to be the Machine's going "Haha, you lost your war with us and now we're going to enslave you for the remainder of time".

I'm pretty sure they did that because the Humans took away their prime power source, sunlight. So... they made a deal with the Humans after nearly wiping them out that they would allow them to live as long as they could be harvested as energy for the Machines.

Impediment
18jpgQ7k85U

It says it all at 7:10.

"Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it."

I guess that the machines were just too stupid and lazy to find another source of energy. I mean, if they can build a computer generated reality, why couldn't they undo Operation: Dark Storm?

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
I'm pretty sure they did that because the Humans took away their prime power source, sunlight. So... they made a deal with the Humans after nearly wiping them out that they would allow them to live as long as they could be harvested as energy for the Machines. That doesn't even make sense. The machines would have died if they didn't get the humans as a power source(or rather, get a power source), one explanation could be that using humans would be quicker than building solar panels above the clouds or destroying the clouds, but it has been many years since they first enslaved the humans, there is no logical or scientific reason why they could not of spent some time and recources making solar panels, then, kill the fvcking humans.

Blax_Hydralisk
Well considering that was directly stated in the Animetrix... it doesn't really matter if it makes sense. Canon is canon. And the Machines in the beggining did not even want to kill the Humans in the first place. If you were to watch the Animetrix it turns out that really Humanity is the bad guy, as they started essentially commiting robot genocide until the Machines got sick of it and retaliated, promptly wiping the floor with the Humans. Even in the end of the war though they were willing to make a sort of truce because they did not want to kill their original masters and creators. Putting the remaining Humans in a type of statsis and harvesting them was both a form of mercy and a form security. The Human is harmlessly in statsis and being harvested for energy, beneficial to the Machines, yet doesn't feel any pain and lives a normal life in their mind.

Dark-Jaxx
Oh. Well I have not seen Animatrix lol.

Is it good out of curiosity?

Strangelove
I think Jurassic Park should be higher on that list.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx

It's kind of confusing.

Eh...

Bardock42
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx

It's good.

Some of it is way better than any of the movies.

Quincy
I think whoever wrote these articles is a silly person.

Alpha Centauri
Jurassic Park.

The T-Rex wasn't around until the Triassic. It didn't exist during the Jurassic period.

Personally I would have gone with the "We resurrected dinosaurs from fossilised blood that we found within fossilised mosquitoes." criticism.

-AC

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Personally I would have gone with the "We resurrected dinosaurs from fossilised blood that we found within fossilised mosquitoes." criticism.

-AC

But that wouldn't have looked as cool as the little mosquito stuck in that amber chunk of sap.

Impediment
Am I the only one who thinks the movie "Twister" should be included on this list?

Alpha Centauri
I am no tornado expert, so I can't say.

I suppose the last tornado may have been farfetched; I've never heard of a half mile wide tornado.

Are we talking about scientifically inaccurate SCIENTIFIC movies? Because if not, then pretty much every superhero movie ever should be there.

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
But that wouldn't have looked as cool as the little mosquito stuck in that amber chunk of sap.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that object to be mind-bogglingly fascinating.

-AC

Impediment
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I am no tornado expert, so I can't say.

I suppose the last tornado may have been farfetched; I've never heard of a half mile wide tornado.

It just strikes me as "very unbelievable" when two people are inside an F-5 tornado looking up, conscious, no less, and live to tell about it. It seems to me that these people would be......I dunno....dead.

Alpha Centauri
Oh, THAT bit...yeah.

-AC

Robtard
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=

**** the sap, I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These ****ing amateurs...

Impediment
O rly?

WrathfulDwarf
This looked like a fun topic to discuss.

Click here for the full article.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

10) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Indiana Jones has survived a lot of improbable adventures, be it fleeing ancient spherical boulders or fighting off cult members while dangling off a rope bridge. But few scrapes have tested the bounds of believability more than Indy's escape from a nuclear bomb blast thanks to a lead-lined fridge. The problem is that, even if he didn't get flattened, horribly burned or suffocated (kids, don't hide in refrigerators), Indy almost certainly would have gotten a lethal dose of radiation from the fallout. And that's a lot scarier than snakes.

9) Outbreak

A monkey threatens a small town with a virus that kills everybody in less time than your average DMV visit, and only Dustin Hoffman can stop it. The trouble with a disease that virulent is it kills the host too fast to spread. Otherwise, we would be dead from the Ebola virus. Also, it generally takes longer to make a cure from monkey serum than it does to make a latte. Dustin Hoffman does look great in a hazmat suit, though.

8) Total Recall

7) Jurassic Park

Having a wildlife park full of dinosaurs would be a really cool idea if it weren't for a few problems. No, not imperfect security or the possibility of spontaneous lizard sex changes. The problem is that it would be almost impossible to clone the dinosaurs based on DNA pulled from the guts of a 25 million-year-old mosquito. The dinosaur DNA's double helix most certainly would have been broken down into individual chunks, mixing together with whatever else the mosquitoes might have eaten along with some of the insect's own genetic material. Any creature constructed from that mess might be the stuff of nightmares, but probably wouldn't look like a T. Rex.

6) The Matrix

Much in the way of physics in the Matrix -- like dodging bullets and running up walls -- gets a pass because it's all within a massive virtual world. But in reality, our supposed robot overlords are a bit dim. Humans are a remarkably inefficient energy source. Instead of turning the human race into Duracells, the machines would probably get more energy just setting those goopy people pods on fire.

5) The Core

In the movie, the Earth's inner core -- a nickel-iron mass about 1500 miles in diameter -- stops rotating, causing the planet's magnetic field to collapse and microwave radiation from space to blast through the atmosphere. But microwaves aren't affected by magnetism, and the radiation that comes from space is too weak to damage anything here. What's more, if the core did stop rotating for whatever reason, we'd have more to worry about than that. The energy stored in the core would have to go somewhere, and the effect on the planet would be equivalent to five trillion nuclear bombs going off at once.

4) The Day After Tomorrow

Roland Emmerich brought his trademark academic rigor to the realm of climatology and the result proved to be so silly that NASA refused to help with the filming of the movie. For one thing, it would require most of Antarctica to melt in order to submerge New York City to the level it is in the movie. If all the rays of the sun were directed at the South Pole, its ice would melt in about two and half years. This ridiculousness drove Duke University paleoclimatologist William Hyde to publicly state, "This movie is to climate science as Frankenstein is to heart transplant surgery."

3) Starship Troopers

Could a band of cave-dwelling, preverbal giant insects really have the sophisticated mathematics and technology to hurl a rock millions of miles through space to crash into Earth? Plus, 70% of the planet's surface is covered in water, so they only had a 3 out of 10 chance at even hitting solid ground, let alone a major city like Buenos Aires.

2) Independence Day

That mammoth mothership hovering over the earth in geostationary orbit would be doing more than just freaking out the world's population. Because of its close proximity and mass -- 1/4th that of the moon, according to the film -- the flying saucer's gravitational pull would cause massive tidal waves, volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. The aliens wouldn't even have to roll out their anti-matter ray to blow up the White House -- it would already be underwater.

1) Armageddon

We could put together a long list of all the things wrong with Michael Bay's feel-good ode to global destruction, but NASA has already and they counted at least 168 mistakes. But perhaps the biggest problem is that the plot itself -- splitting a Texas-sized rock in two with a single nuke -- has a Texas-sized hole in it. We don't have a nuclear bomb anywhere near powerful enough to do the job. As strange as it might seem, this is a case of a Michael Bay movie not having a big enough explosion.

Does this list look to be accurate, or can anyone else name a few mentionable movies that didn't make the cut?

I've argue in the past regarding the virus in 28 days later. If the virus can spread throught the body really fast. That means the virus is much more deadlier. Meaning it could cause things like Dehydration, Diarrhea, vomiting, etc to work faster. So, anyways...this could cause the muscles to collapse....this leaves the question...how is it that they can run?

With zombies I could play along...infected people...well, I dunno know...

ariwin
I'm so glad The Core made it onto that list, as I expressly opened this thread to add it if it wasn't. wink I remember a guy in my astronomy tech lab came in one morning babbling about this film, and all we did the entire morning was listen to his sarcastic play-by-play recap, which resulted in him shrieking "GIANT DIAMOND-FILLED GEODES, PEOPLE!" over and over while we snickered.

A valid point. I always thought, somewhere in my mind, that somewhere the machines had taken on a slight bit of humanity -- an ironic, philosophical genetic hand-me-down from creator to createe -- and part of the reason they kept using humans as energy, feeding off of them, was a strange oedipal thing, a general revenge shtick. That no one would ever admit or attribute to them, because they're unfeeling machines, but... nonetheless.

Of course, that trilogy was always much more about philosophy than it was science fiction.

T.M
Jurassic Park.

I think you have your time periods mixed. Triassic was before Jurassic period.. Either was though the movie is still wrong because the T-Rex like most of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park actually weren't around until after the Jurassic period in the Cretaceous period.

tabby999
Deep Blue Sea and Space Cowboys for mine.

m.ramius

1) Armageddon

Heh, awesome. My blood pressure goes through the roof whenever I feel masochistic enough to watch this "movie".

I tried to google the NASA list of impossibilities in this movie but couldn't find anything. Do you have a link?

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Placidity
Star Wars IV - Three suns are shown in the sun-rise on tatooine (or wherever the hell).

Two suns. Binary star systems exist.

So that could be.

A great thread with a respectable first 10 list. But lets not forget "Star Trek V: The final frontier"....

Voyager was a show that was focused entirely to the fact that it take 70 odd years at maximum warp to get home from the delta quadrant, yet way before Voyager's warp speeds were possible,
Kirk's Enterprise-A is able to get to the center of the galaxy within what a day or two...?

Not to mention the turbolift shaft sequence. (showing that the Enterprise suddenly had 20 or 30 decks too many..... And as they ascended on Spock's boots, the continuity of the deck levels just mentioned, are out of sequence.)

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Robtard
**** the sap, I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish. These ****ing amateurs...

Will it be green nail polish...? stick out tongue

Impediment
Heh.

jaden101
Originally posted by jaden101
how about space cowboys when, at the end, they blast tommy lee jones off to the moon while riding a massive nuclear warhead platform at 30,000mph and despite him having no way to land he still manages to walk away from the crash and sit against a rock on the moon and look at the earth until he dies.

Bardock42
To be fair, the Starship Troopers thing is explained by the existence of the "brain bug".

Sadako of Girth
Quite right, Bardock.

Originally posted by Radical
I always thought that was from atmospheric decompression or something.

I read it like it being a subtle clue that it was all in Quaid's head.
(On those watching sessions where I interpret as that being the case, at least)

fini
For Jurassic park
Hey, the concept of gathering DNA from fossilized insects is not science fiction. But obtaining full living beings from that DNA IS scifi( or is for now). But isn't that the objective of fiction, to take the mind into the impossible?

Who knows why they called it Jurassic park ( cause surely Crichton knew the difference)

Oh my goodness, The core belongs right up there. Can't even start with the sheer ridiculousness of it.

The day after tomorrow isn't scientifically wrong, just the timeline of the sequence of events. All those things can happen, just not that fast ( well at least we hope so)

Impediment
Major bump.

After somewhat recently watching Paranormal Activity, I have deduced that this is the most scientifically inaccurate film of all time.

Think about it: A guy actually decides to voluntarily stay with a woman, with her constant, incessant whining and b!tching, who is haunted by a demon. The demon doesn't want the guy; it only want the b!tch.

And, yet.........he stays with her to help her fight her unseen nemesis.

Yeah.

Okay.

This goes against all known scientific logic.

Mindship
http://www.videosurf.com/video/missile-to-the-moon-stinger-64398813

Yeah, they're on the moon, where rock people live and sunburns are really unhealthy.

Ultraviolence
Originally posted by Mindship
http://www.videosurf.com/video/missile-to-the-moon-stinger-64398813

Yeah, they're on the moon, where rock people live and sunburns are really unhealthy.

That was mildly amusing.

JohnT
Spider Man 2, the train fight between Spidey and Doc Ock.

Note: To understand this, you must have a basic graps of the principles of physics. And by "basic", I mean the level of understanding an average 2 year old has grasped.

DO picks up Spidey, throws him forward.
Spidey flies through an elevated walkway, his momentum allowing him to tackle DO from behind

Jesus friggin' wept, people.

Myth
Originally posted by JohnT
Spider Man 2, the train fight between Spidey and Doc Ock.

Note: To understand this, you must have a basic graps of the principles of physics. And by "basic", I mean the level of understanding an average 2 year old has grasped.

DO picks up Spidey, throws him forward.
Spidey flies through an elevated walkway, his momentum allowing him to tackle DO from behind

Jesus friggin' wept, people.

You made me curious. So....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NLgY6f60CA

1:45 I lol'd.

Putinbot1
Hulk, radiation doesn't give you superstrength.

steverules_2

TheOneFirestorm
Superman The Quest for Peace
Nuclear Man captures Lacey and moves her to space, and she doesn't die which is a giant inaccuracy because humans can't breathe in space without space suits.

1 of the Worst Movie Mistakes in Movies History.

Also because this is a awful movie the 2 Prison Guards that are in a car driven off a cliff, and the car explodes.
The Prison Guards would have died except they don't because this is a awful movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.