Why athletes go broke.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi

KidRock
I think when it comes to people like Tyson, Holyfield and Vick they are use to growing up and living in poverty so when they get all this money they arent sure how to manage it and just blow it all.

Rogue Jedi
But what about the entourages and shit?

jaden101
it's probably a mix of both...stupidity with money due to lack of knowledge on how to deal with it....and all the hangers-on that want their share

not to be controversial but is it any coincidence that all the althetes mentioned above are black?

Rogue Jedi
I think I would go ape shit for a few years, but in the long run I would like to think I would be able to handle my money wisely.

AngryManatee
dog fighting also

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by jaden101

not to be controversial but is it any coincidence that all the althetes mentioned above are black? ninja

Adam_PoE
Because "no educated person would spend money on gold rims, purple leather seats and flip-down LCD screens for three-thousand-dollar Geos."

Robtard
Article is hilarious, the idiocy.

Edit: Didn't see the question, I highly doubt I would, if I were making hundreds of thousands to millions per game, fight or other, I'd put a sizeable portion of each paycheck in a trust fund (or similar), that way, I'd always have money coming in and something to fall back on if I ever felt the need to throw money away like a moron. Also low yield but extremely safe long term stocks as an option, there are many ways to spend like crazy yet secure yourself into the golden years if you have that much coming in.

Rogue Jedi
I agree, but apparently these high profile players disagree. It rolls over into Rappers and actors too.

I read somewhere MC Hammer is broke.

Robtard
McHammer has been broke since 1996, his mansion with the giant gold "MC" on the gates in Fremont sold for around 6-mil, when it was worth over 9-mil, all the money went to the taxman. Guess someone could "touch this". Okay, bad pun.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Robtard
McHammer has been broke since 1996, his mansion with the giant gold "MC" on the gates in Fremont sold for around 6-mil, when it was worth over 9-mil, all the money went to the taxman. Guess someone could "touch this". Okay, bad pun. See? I dont get that. All the "bling bling", why?

Hakeem Olajuwon lived about twenty minutes from me when he was making his mark in the NBA, and several times I drove past his house, it was nice, but very basic and low key.

Röland
I don't think I'd fall into the "money trap" because I've been raised in a household that isn't exactly swimming in money. I've seen what happens to a person who has money problems and I would not want to experience that.

As far as these athletes and stars goes, I think it's along the lines of the same thing. They grow up in a family that can barely feed/support them and when they get these large amounts of money they don't know how to take care of it.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
See? I dont get that. All the "bling bling", why?

I don't understand it either, never will. I'd rather be Bill Gates rich and have next to no one know it.

I had a good friend, he was into all that "bling bling" shit. He could barely afford his rent each month, but he bought a new car every year or every other year, it had rims, suspension and all the silly little gadgets on it. He had a collection of Jordan shoes that was easily 40+ pairs, of which he never wore, if he really liked one, he'd buy two and wear the second pair. Gold chains, diamond earrings, Rolex etc. At one point, he recieved around 150-200k from an insurance claim, he blew through that too in under two years.

Rogue Jedi
I don't understand it either, never will. I'd rather be Bill Gates rich and have next to no one know it.

I had a good friend, he was into all that "bling bling" shit. He could barely afford his rent each month, but he bought a new car every year or every other year, it had rims, suspension and all the silly little gadgets on it. He had a collection of Jordan shoes that was easily 40+ pairs, of which he never wore, if he really liked one, he'd buy two and wear the second pair. Gold chains, diamond earrings, Rolex etc. At one point, he recieved around 150-200k from an insurance claim, he blew through that too in under two years. You should have ***** slapped him and got him a financial advisor.

Devil King
Why would he buy two pairs of shoes and only wear one? Am I unaware of some sort of collector's market for mint condition shoes from 4 seasons ago?

I bought two pairs of the same jeans, but I wore them both. I wore the first pair until a hole developed in the knee and then started to wear the other pair.

Robtard
Originally posted by Devil King
Why would he buy two pairs of shoes and only wear one? Am I unaware of some sort of collector's market for mint condition shoes from 4 seasons ago?

I bought two pairs of the same jeans, but I wore them both. I wore the first pair until a hole developed in the knee and then started to wear the other pair.

There's some Jordan shoe collector craze; apparently some can fetch a decent amount if in mint condition. Personally, I found his entire shoe collection to be tacky, odd bits of leather here and there, offensive color combinations etc.

I'm the same way, I'll occasionally buy multiple articles of clothing in I really like it, but I do wear them.

Edit: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Jordan&category0=

See.

Devil King
That's sad. It's not sad that people are selling shoes on ebay. It's sad that people are actually bidding on them. Clothing is one of those things that should decrease in value. Unlike cars that drop 10% in value the moment you sit your ass in them, clothes deserve to depreciate.

Rogue Jedi
I used to play basketball alot, and I owned one pair of Jordans. Ugly as sin and very little if any ankle support.

Robtard
You should have ***** slapped him and got him a financial advisor.

I tried and my best friend who is financially savvy advised him in a few investment options, one was to put a down payment on a house, this was right before the housing market in the Bay Area (Ca.) went stupid-crazy. He could have doubled or tripled his money if he had done that back then and then sold it a few years ago before the market started going soft. Moron to the core.

Intstead, he bought a new Lincoln Navigator and Mitsubishi Evolution, tons of clothes, jewelry and blew the rest on going out and other junk.

Robtard
I used to play basketball alot, and I owned one pair of Jordans. Ugly as sin and very little if any ankle support.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/2061/342c1pt0.jpg

Devil King
I'm sorry, what were you just saying about what makes a good friend?

Robtard
I'm sorry, what were you just saying about what makes a good friend?

I tried, I'd always say "save your money, don't blow it on useless bits" and many a time, I'd cover the expensive of dinners, movies, the club, the bars etc. Because he had to have that pair of Jordons or some headlight upgrade for his car.

We're not friends anymore, he turned out to be a two-faced *******.

Edit: Wait, were you implying that a good friend would never let a friend wear shoes like that? Is so, hahahaa.

Devil King
Um...yeah. I was talking about the shoes.

Robtard
You'd rather go barefoot before those went on, I feel the same.

Devil King
Well, they do match the diamond studs I have in my front teeth.

Rogue Jedi
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/2061/342c1pt0.jpg my dear LORD why would you post that.

zbucsz
I dont know? but theres only a little % of athletes that go broke and i dont belive there not all the way broke, like mc hammer i justed watched something on t.v. and he has a nice house.

Rogue Jedi
Get a damn accountant, man.

zbucsz
http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/2061/342c1pt0.jpg ewwww, i love jordans which ones are those? but them are ugly and btw the best shoes ever made are the penny hardways

RedAlertv2
Looks like Robtard stole my shoes

And in regards to the OP, I dont have any sympathy for these guys. I mean come on, grow up and learn how to manage money. Or like Rogue Jedi said, pay someone to do it for you. srsly

Rogue Jedi
No sympathy here either for them. They made their bed they can lie in it.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
150k in two years? What a ****. It seems that only the retards strike gold. And then they piss it away on shit.

Bardock42
Well, they do match the diamond studs I have in my front teeth. Also, your sexuality.

chillmeistergen
I could spend 150k in two years very easily.

Bardock42
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I could spend 150k in two years very easily.

Yeah, I don't think I'd have trouble at all, really.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
I could, but I wouldn't.

chillmeistergen
Why not? It's just money.

Aside from that, who really cares? Why does it matter what someone who has nothing to do with you and never will do spends their money on?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
I could, but I wouldn't.

Yeah, same.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Why not? It's just money.

Aside from that, who really cares? Why does it matter what someone who has nothing to do with you and never will do spends their money on?
Because wasting money isn't my thing? Because retards don't deserve nice things?

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Because wasting money isn't my thing? Because retards don't deserve nice things?

Fair enough. Well, I wouldn't really call what the retards buy with all that money nice, most of it's tacky and horrible.

Bardock42
Fair enough. Well, I wouldn't really call what the retards buy with all that money nice, most of it's tacky and horrible.

I'd more go for the lasting effect kind of argument, but being wasteful and retarded works, too.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Bardock42
I'd more go for the lasting effect kind of argument, but being wasteful and retarded works, too.

I suppose what you like doing, I suppose. If I had 150k, I'd probably just travel until I ran out of money. I'm sure some people would consider that wasteful, hopefully they wouldn't consider it as wasteful as some big rims and shiny shoes, though.

Bardock42
I suppose what you like doing, I suppose. If I had 150k, I'd probably just travel until I ran out of money. I'm sure some people would consider that wasteful, hopefully they wouldn't consider it as wasteful as some big rims and shiny shoes, though.

Well, people have different philosophies. If I had that money I'd rather live 20 years fairly good, than 3 years awesome.

I find 1 month of wasteful stupidity...well... stupid though.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, people have different philosophies. If I had that money I'd rather live 20 years fairly good, than 3 years awesome.

I find 1 month of wasteful stupidity...well... stupid though.

Yeah, I guess I wouldn't be adverse to doing that either. I would just really hate to do what my parents have done and tie all the money up in investments, and being frugal on a daily basis, despite not needing to be.

dadudemon
Yeah, I guess I wouldn't be adverse to doing that either. I would just really hate to do what my parents have done and tie all the money up in investments, and being frugal on a daily basis, despite not needing to be.

Yeah, there is a nice median. However, your parents didn't get to where they got by being frivolous. Sometimes, I can be way too stingy and my wife has to remind me that we don't have to be. I grew up poor so I get like that not out of necessity, but out of my own fear of being poor again.

I don't think running a tight budget is that bad.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yeah, there is a nice median. However, your parents didn't get to where they got by being frivolous. Sometimes, I can be way too stingy and my wife has to remind me that we don't have to be. I grew up poor so I get like that not out of necessity, but out of my own fear of being poor again.

I don't think running a tight budget is that bad.

It's not necessarily bad, no. I believe it's bad when you start to let it control your life.

I also know that my parents didn't get where they are by being frivolous, it's just annoying to see people with the means to do things they've always wanted to, but being too scared and greedy to actually do them.

dadudemon
It's not necessarily bad, no. I believe it's bad when you start to let it control your life.

Indeed.

Money controls my life. Almost everything I do is related to money.

I also know that my parents didn't get where they are by being frivolous, it's just annoying to see people with the means to do things they've always wanted to, but being too scared and greedy to actually do them.

I've never seen that before. That's very sad, though.

Blinky
Athletes go broke for a simple reason... they are generally idiots, and idiots can not manage money very well.

red g jacks
cause cocaine and white women are expensive, nigga

Darth Creasy
Athletes go broke because they f**k everything that moves (their fault).

Then, a corrupt judicial system awards women 25x what they need to raise the athlete's kid in the form of child support (not their fault).

Devil King
Originally posted by Darth Creasy
Athletes go broke because they f**k everything that moves (their fault).

Then a corrupt judicial system awards women 25x what they need to raise the athlete's kid in the form of child support (not their fault).

Is that like a pro-life, anti women and sex opinion? In the first sentence you say Athletes **** (their fault), but since there's only one subject we know who's at fault. Then in the next sentence you mention the judicial system, women and children (not their fault). But with three subjects we don't know who's fault it isn't.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by red g jacks
cause cocaine and white women are expensive, nigga And they are dumb enough to invite hotel clerks into their hotel rooms.

BruceSkywalker
Athletes go broke for a variety of reasons. One reason is they don't manage their money right or their business partner is a crook and takes the money. Another reason is athletes don't know how to keep a certain appendage cooped up so when a hot, sexy lady comes along there isn't a chance of child support.

Megs8
bad attitude!

gryphon28
Because they buy something and don't paid it all off

Robtard
Wouldn't that save them money?

gryphon28
that's how most Americans are in debt today

Robtard
Actually, I think it's living above their means combined with the ease of getting credit.

zbucsz
Originally posted by dadudemon
Indeed.

Money controls my life. Almost everything I do is related to money. C.R.E.A.M. crash rules everything around me get the money Dollar, dollar bill y'all

Quiero Mota
They go broke for the exact same reason that 90% of people who win the lottery go broke with in 5 years of winning it. They were poor their whole life, waiting tables to put their two-year-old through college some day, and then one day they're suddenly multi-millionaires. They have more money than they know what to do with, so instead of investing it, they blow it all on dumb shit. Add to that, all their friends and relatives who haven't spoke to them in years, all the sudden need to "borrow" money. And the people are stupid enough to lend it to them, thinking they'll actually get it back one day.

gryphon28
They go broke because they don't pay off their purchases when they first get it

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by KidRock
I think when it comes to people like Tyson, Holyfield and Vick they are use to growing up and living in poverty so when they get all this money they arent sure how to manage it and just blow it all.

I actually agree with that. It's like a person, who has been denied food for years while it sat right in front of them. They couldn't smell touch or taste it, so you know when they have opportunity to feast, they will, over and over again.

shiv
Originally posted by KidRock

Tyson had a little help from Don King and his gold digger first wife.

Kalima
sex drugs alcohol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.