The Shining Ending (contains spoilers)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Transfinitum
At the end of "The Shining", a fantastic horror film by Stanley Kubrick, the final shot dissolves twice to reveal a photo of Jack Torrance, who had just froze to death, standing; smiling in a picture that reads, "July 4th Ball, 1921." Since this is one of the most ambiguous endings in the genre of horror, different viewpoints and opinions on what it means or symbolizes would be interesting.

Personally, I believe the picture represents how the Overlook Hotel; an entity in itself, took Jack Torrance and made him trapped in it forever, the other guests were other people who were either driven mad by the house, or died there. Furthermore, every winter, when guests have left the hotel; the lost souls reconvene in the gold room for their endless ball; "inviting" all the people at the house to join.

Your opinions?

Röland
Along the same lines as your opinion, I think when Jack died in the Hedgerow Maze, he became a part of the hotel.

The_Dormouse
I don't understand a billion things about The Shining, it seems. Maybe it would become more clear if I read the book.

But if Jack became a part of the Overlook Hotel, then why does Mr. Grady tell him that he's "always been the caretaker"?

Transfinitum
Originally posted by The_Dormouse
I don't understand a billion things about The Shining, it seems. Maybe it would become more clear if I read the book.

But if Jack became a part of the Overlook Hotel, then why does Mr. Grady tell him that he's "always been the caretaker"?

I think that's because when Jack meets Mr. Grady in the bathroom scene, he has already been possessed with the spirit of the house, which allows him to see all of the party-goers; but it is not until he dies that he actually becomes a part of the party. He's the mechanism of the Overlook, and because of this he's always been the caretaker; since the overlook is its own caretaker.

cropsy_is_god
I think it might be that Jack had been there before is a past life and its maybe history repeating itself. Me and a friend were talking about this today its something ive never understood myself.

Evil Dead
the movie is almost 30 years old........I don't think spoiler tags apply.

yeah, I've got nothing to add here other than great flick.

Röland
Transfinitum has a good point and I agree with it.

But I also think that it was the Hotel's way of further warping his mind.

deathbycorn
Its a hard film to explain the ending of but there's two ways of looking at it

1) Jack's spirit becomes part of the hotel

2) Jack has been there since the 1920's and lives his life over and over.

The first way can be wrong because Grady said "You have always been the caretaker"

And the second way can be wrong because of the story of Grady murdering his family in the 70's and the whole film being set in the 80's.

Thats the amazing thing about The Shining. It can be looked at from two different points of view and it will pretty much never be fully solved because the Great Stanley Kubrick is no longer with us.

Honestly, I don't think a horror film will ever come close to The Shining. Its such a perfect scary film.

Impediment
Have you ever watched the tv remake, DBC? It's pretty horrible.

deathbycorn
Forget that TV remake was ever made. But no, I haven't seen it and never will.

cropsy_is_god
I believe Jack's soul is trapped in the Hotel and in a previous life he was at the hotel. In the U.S version he talks to Wendy on the phone about a feeling of knowing what's around every corner and a feel of De ja vu.

It might sound stupid but i think he was the Grady caretaker in a previous life family who killed his family and his soul will always lead him back to the hotel to die in any life. That's a bit OTT but who knows. I'm not sure their is a right answer. it's one of those films where you have an opinion on what it's about but theirs no right or wrong answer.

cinelover
yeah I watched DBC ...its horrible...

DarthLazious
Originally posted by deathbycorn
Forget that TV remake was ever made. But no, I haven't seen it and never will.

Me either.

It is one of the best movies ever made.

jinXed by JaNx

because he was always meant to follow the role that he ultimately chose.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by cropsy_is_god
I believe Jack's soul is trapped in the Hotel and in a previous life he was at the hotel. In the U.S version he talks to Wendy on the phone about a feeling of knowing what's around every corner and a feel of De ja vu.

It might sound stupid but i think he was the Grady caretaker in a previous life family who killed his family and his soul will always lead him back to the hotel to die in any life. That's a bit OTT but who knows. I'm not sure their is a right answer. it's one of those films where you have an opinion on what it's about but theirs no right or wrong answer.

that was the house slowly possessing him...,the movie might make a bit more sense if you read the book.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Transfinitum
I think that's because when Jack meets Mr. Grady in the bathroom scene, he has already been possessed with the spirit of the house, which allows him to see all of the party-goers; but it is not until he dies that he actually becomes a part of the party. He's the mechanism of the Overlook, and because of this he's always been the caretaker; since the overlook is its own caretaker.

This is my belief also.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.