Thor or Odin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phantom Zone
What the hell. If you had to choose a god to worship who would it be Thor or Odin? Give reasons.

Symmetric Chaos
Odin. Thor just whacks things 313

But really I'd go with Odin because he specifically went out of his way to seek wisdom and knowledge.

Also, before someone else calls it . . . I'd worship neither just to be contrary.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Odin. Thor just whacks things 313

Har har very funny.

But really I'd go with Odin because he specifically went out of his way to seek wisdom and knowledge.

People do consider the Lay of Hymir to be about seeking knowledge, but apart from that it seems pretty obvious that he has sought out wisdom due to other stories in Norse lore.

Mindship

Also, before someone else calls it . . . I'd worship neither just to be contrary. What he said.

Odin consciousness > Thor consciousness.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Odin...though the Abrahamic God would whoop all their asses...smile

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav

Scans?

Bardock42

Pff, omnipotence is just bad writing. He's the Superman of Gods. Lame and overpowered.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Bardock42
Pff, omnipotence is just bad writing. He's the Superman of Gods. Lame and overpowered.

Omnipotence certainly upsets the Star Wars fans.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42

What would God's kryptonite be? Lack of foresight?

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Robtard
What would God's kryptonite be? Lack of foresight?

Maybe he doesn't have one...maybe hes just a real sadist.

Mandos
Maybe he doesn't have one...maybe hes just a real sadist.

Don't be too harsh on them GMG. stick out tongue

Charmed_Phoebe
Odin.
Why go for second best.

Jack Daniels
laughing out loud

Jbill311

We just tend to notice internal inconsistencies more than others, our chosen universe being so full of them. We are good at seeing them in other people's imaginary universes too.

Which particular case were you referring to?

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Phantom Zone
What the hell. If you had to choose a god to worship who would it be Thor or Odin? Give reasons. Well it's the power you put into the belief. It's the power of thought which can create ripples of happenings, just like any other religion. You could even put your all powerful thoughts in flowers or rocks and if you really believe it, then you get comfort from it AND, miracles could happen. It's not what you worship, but how much intention and thought, which brings about influences and change that makes things happen......that is why there are miracles happening all over the world from all walks of life. It's not the God, it is your belief in whatever!

Boris
Odin! He helped me so much in FF7!

Odin 4tw!

Darth Macabre
Thor...he lasts longer than Odin does during the Ragnarok.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Deja~vu
It's not the God, it is your belief in whatever!

I agree, but at the same time when dealing with paganism you tend to do reasearch into a god and that may infulence your opinion of him and affect your belief.

Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Thor...he lasts longer than Odin does during the Ragnarok.

He is also made plans that after he died that Vidar would kill Fenris, so Odins action still benefitted mankind after his death.

Jack Daniels
Odin let Thor as I understand it rule so he could kick his mortal enemies ass every morning before and after breakfast...lol...true norwegian...lol

Darth Macabre
He is also made plans that after he died that Vidar would kill Fenris, so Odins action still benefitted mankind after his death. Meh, all Vioarr did was stab Fenris with a sword. I could have done that.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Jbill311
We just tend to notice internal inconsistencies more than others, our chosen universe being so full of them. We are good at seeing them in other people's imaginary universes too.

Which particular case were you referring to?

In Star Wars vs Star Trek debates...

Q really does tend to upset the Star Wars fans.

Deja~vu
Q is a god like figure.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Well it's the power you put into the belief. It's the power of thought which can create ripples of happenings, just like any other religion. You could even put your all powerful thoughts in flowers or rocks and if you really believe it, then you get comfort from it AND, miracles could happen. It's not what you worship, but how much intention and thought, which brings about influences and change that makes things happen......that is why there are miracles happening all over the world from all walks of life. It's not the God, it is your belief in whatever!
thats a tight response, what faith are you

llagrok
Odin!

Jack Daniels
beer!!!... its thin stuff but better than nothing!

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by llagrok
Odin!

You're from Norway you traitor.

Jack Daniels
hey norwegians r kewl they just like drinking and fighting..lol...actually I dont know any from norway just the norwegians in minnesota..lol

llagrok
You're from Norway you traitor.

Oh yeah, I have a better grasp of norse mythology!

I'm such a traitor D:

lord xyz
They are a part of the same religion.

ragesRemorse
What the hell. If you had to choose a god to worship who would it be Thor or Odin? Give reasons.

Odin, i don't like Gods that wear a steel helmet with wings on it.

dadudemon
Odin.

His spear Gungnir seems pretty damned useful...and he's "stronger" than Thor.

Scans?

laughing laughing laughing

You are good people. 313

llagrok
Odin is -better- than Thor in every way according to the religion, but Thor is still pretty badass.

Originally posted by lord xyz
dur

ragesRemorse
yeah, i read a comic once where Thor got turned into a frog. That kinda shit would never happen to odin.

Phantom Zone
Oh yeah, I have a better grasp of norse mythology!

I'm such a traitor D:

Most people in Norway worshipped Thor. Its a joke really. no expression

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Odin, i don't like Gods that wear a steel helmet with wings on it.

Thats marvel comics.

Odin is -better- than Thor in every way according to the religion, but Thor is still pretty badass.

Well thats not true. Where are you getting this info from?

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
yeah, i read a comic once where Thor got turned into a frog. That kinda shit would never happen to odin.

Well the point of this thread was to discuss from the Norse myths but people want to bring in the comics. Anyway Thor has never been turned into a frog or anything in Norse myths (as far as I know). Odin has been tricked by his wife at least twice.

llagrok
Most people in Norway worshipped Thor. Its a joke really. no expression

That's not true, we worshiped all the gods. Odin -was- above Thor in every sense of the word.

Well thats not true. Where are you getting this info from?

The religion....

Odin could just throw his spear and Thor would be ****ed.

Phantom Zone
That's not true, we worshiped all the gods.

I didn't say you didn't worship all the other gods I said he was the most popular god in Norway.

Most of the people that worshipped Odin where nobleman. The people that worshipped Tor tended to be farmers and common men. There tend to be more common people than nobleman. Odin was alson not that popular because he was often regarded as being unreliable and untrustworthy.

Odin -was- above Thor in every sense of the word.

Whats your source, do you have any examples from the myths? Yeah Odin was king of the gods but that doesn't mean that he can just tell the other gods what to do without their consent.

The religion....

Where? Poetic Eddas? Snorri Eddas? Norse sagas?

Odin could just throw his spear and Thor would be ****ed.

Is this supposed to be some sort of joke?

llagrok
Get off Wikipedia son.

Which god was more favorable isn't what I'm concerned with here, Odin was the all-father in the religion as well, he was the head of Asgard.

What the hell would Thor do if Odin threw his spear at him?

Phantom Zone
Get off Wikipedia son.

Im not getting this stuff off Wikipedia. Were are you getting your info from you're imagination?

Which god was more favorable isn't what I'm concerned with here,

*sigh* It was a joke. I was explaining why I said you were a traitor for favoring Odin over Thor when most people from Norway favoured Thor. Get it?

Odin was the all-father in the religion as well, he was the head of Asgard.

*sigh* Did you see the post were I explained that eventhough Odin was the head of the gods this did not give him the power to give people orders. Maybe you would like to give examples of Odin giving Thor orders or other gods for that matter from the myths. If Odin wants to force another god (Loki most likley) to do something he would call upon Thor to do it

What the hell would Thor do if Odin threw his spear at him?

*sigh* I don't really want to debate like this. At any rate all the myths indicate that Thor was the most powerful god for example in The Flyting of Loki its Thor that gets rid of Loki that was harrasing the gods and Thor is generally called onto save the other gods from trouble.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.