The Fighting Games Tier Listing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JustFrame
This is a thread pertaining to fighting games and the tier listing of characters.

If some people are clueless as to what Tier's are, although this summary does not do it justice, I will say that Tier's are a ranking of characters advantages and disadvantages, and exploits, etc, etc when having two players of equal skill against one another (Two players of equal skill who know how to play the game).

So for example, in SSBM, if two players of around the same lvl of skill are taking one another on, and one person picks Marth, while the other picks Bowser, the Marth player will have the distinct advantage over Bowser, due to the fact that Marth has far better options, damage potential, k.o. potential, speed and priority over Bowser, who has very limited options.

So with that, I'll go on with the posting of the tier listing, with a little info, as to why some characters are placed where they are as well.

Note: That some of them, I'll either be taking from the last tier listing I've heard of, while others, I'll be running off from the top of my head, also, if you actually have a tier list for a fighting game that you do not see me post here, then please post it, however do make sure that it is an accurate tier listing that is the most widely accepted from the group of players who play that particular fighting game.

Okay, it's time that I'll kick into High Gear on some fighting games and their Tier Listing...

Street Fighter II World Warriors

Top Tier
Guile

Upper Tier
Dhalsim

Middle Tier
Everyone Else (no particular order)

Low Tier
Ken
Ryu

Guile - He without question is the undisputed Emperor in WW, he dominates so completely and utterly in this game, that it isn't even funny. He dominates everywhere, zoning, spacing, poking, positioning, you name it, he is #1 period, he even has the crazy 5-hit jab dizzy and re-dizzy, and of course, you can't forget the "handcuffs" although those aren't tournament viable but fun to use on newbies, lolz. Dhalsim is a far, far, and away #2.

Ken and Ryu - They are so low is because these are the worst SFII incarnations of their Hadouken, Shoryuken, and Hurricane kick. Hadouken is super slow, with poor recovery, Shoryuken on the ground does not knock down, except on AA, and hurricane kick is unsafe on hit, lol, Ken is only slightly higher, simply because of his rolling throw, which can get an opponent to the wall quicker, lol, not much difference though.

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting
Note: Hyper Fighting to this day, is the most balanced Street Fighter game ever made, and arguably the most balanced 2-D fighting game of all time, and in my opinion in the Top 3 most balanced fighting games of all time

Top Tier
Ryu
Guile
Blanka

Upper Tier
Sagat
Ken
Zangief

Middle Tier
Chunli
E. Honda
Dhalsim
Balrog

Low Tier
Vega
M. Bison

Ryu - The best character in Hyper Fighting, the speed boost greatly improved his gameplay, and the nerfing of the Top 3 CE characters, Guile, Bison, and Sagat helped as well, since Ryu was ranked #4 in CE. 11-39 Hadouken speed, making it the fastest Hadouken in SFII incarnation, jab shoryuken beast, 1-frame inv. start up hurricane kick which could pass through attacks or projectiles and knock the opponent to the ground, crazy 2 in 1 aerial hurricane kicks against taller opponents, Ryu is the most complete character in HF.

Blanka - Excellent poking game and damage potential, Vertical Roll is simply too good, on hit, and even on block, because on block, it leads to grab throw madness.

Zangief - Super Fast Lariat with 3xKicks with invincibility, crazy cross ups with the beastly body splash, the monster c.mk on block into SPD. HF. Zangief was a contender without a doubt.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo (This one, the tier spot in which the character is in, and the placements of their names within that tier spot is not in any particular order, considering some people say O. Sagat, is #1, while other's Sim, other's Rog, etc, etc, you get the idea, however they are ranked within where they are respectively placed though)

Elite Tier
Gouki

Top Tier
O. Sagat
Dhalsim
Balrog
Vega (Alot of people consider him Top Now, so I'm throwing him up there)

Upper Tier
Chunli
Ryu
M. Bison

Middle Tier
Dee Jay
Guile
Ken

Low Tier
E. Honda
Fei-Long
Zangief

Bottom Tier
Hawk
Blanka
Cammy

O. Sagat - Sickening Tiger Shot speed of 11-37, making these Tiger Shots as deadly as his CE counterpart. Plus 2 in 1's with his lk, sickening damage, and super dominant zoning game made O. Sagat one of the most powerful and feared characters in ST.

Balrog - Best Rushdown Game in ST period. Excellent pokes, mixups, and low sweep dash, throw which leads to stupid guessing game and mixups, the BEST SUPER in the game, and it can even stuff out O. Sagat doing a Low Tiger shot from full screen, which is BS imo.

Street Fighter III Second Impact Note: There is no absolute definitive Tier for this game, since it wasn't very popular when it was released, for shame, because imo, it was the most fun SFIII game, yes, even better then 3S imo, however you can bet, that almost nobody will disagree with my placing of the Top 5 characters in 2I though)

Top Tier
Ibuki
Gouki

Upper Tier
Sean
Yang
Ryu

Middle Tier
Dudley
Ken
Yun

Low Tier
Urien
Alex
Elena
Necro

Bottom Tier
Hugo

Ibuki - 2nd Impact Ibuki made Top Tiers from 3S like Chunli and Yun look like puppies. Killer combos, crazy stun damage potential, she could even link her SAIII one after another in a combo session!!! She had crazy hit-confirms, and most importantly, she did not need meter to be powerful, unlike other characters like Yun for example in 3S, is nothing unless he has Genei-Jin.

New Generation and 2nd Impact Ibuki where hands down, the most powerful SFIII character useable in tournaments from the SFIII Series.

Gouki - He had all of the rushdown priority of his 3S counterpart, but more. He had a slightly bigger stun bar, with just as much damage output if not more, and his Dive Kick gave him ridiculous priority due to it's speed, and sheer speed recovery, allowing him powerful setups in this 2I. SAIII was his best Super, and was easily linkable off of his best setups.

Sean - Some of you will say, but he blows in 3S...yes, ONLY in 3S, because if he was his 2I counterpart in 3S, he'd be the #1 character in 3S. NG and 2I Sean rocked, and 2I Sean was the most complete, though he didn't have the ridiculous stun and damage of his NG, because damage and stun overall from NG to 2I was toned down. 2I Sean was far more versatile, while packing huge damage+stun damage potential. S.fk into SAIII pawnage, Ex-TornadoxxxSAIII, his 2-Hit Shoryuken did crazy damage. Everything about Sean was beastly.

For some of you who find it hard to believe, just imagine 3S Chunli and 3S Ken put together as ONE character, and you'll kind of get an idea of how beastly 2nd Impact Sean really would have been.

Ryu - All I can say is this, Better Combobility then his 3S counterpart, Shinkuu-Hadouken was faster, and hit so much better, in fact, all of his SA's where quite effective. However, the greatest of all, was 2-Stock Denjin. 2 Bars, that where as small as Ken's Shippu-Jinrai Bar (Just look at Ken's SAIII Bar, and you'll get what I mean, however Ryu's Denjin bar in 2I was still slightly smaller, making it even more beastly!), allowed Ryu Ex-Options+Denjin Threat. This was the BEST Ryu in the SFIII Series.

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike

Top Tier
Chunli
Yun

Upper Tier
Ken
Makoto
Dudley
Yang

Middle Tier
Gouki
Urien
Ryu
Oro
Ibuki
Elena

Low Tier
Necro
Alex
Remy
Q
Hugo
Twelve

Bottom Tier
Sean

I read at srk.com a few months ago, that Chunli had now taken the #1 spot in the 3S Tier Listing, and this was coming from Japan, and since Japan is overall better then any other country in 3S, most would likely agree that they know what they are talking about.

For me, I don't need to say much about this, since most of you new generation players know more about 3rdStrike then any other SF game out there.

JustFrame
Tekken 3 Note: Again, this one is super difficult to find and debates about this one still flow when ever talked about, however I'll take a crack at it, so don't hate if I'm not 100% accurate

Top Tier (Big Top Tier, I know)
Jin/Ogre
Ling
Heihachi
Forrest Law

Upper Tier
Lei
Nina
Julia Chang
Yoshimitsu
Anna

Everyone Else (Yes, I'm getting lazy now, plus it's getting difficult to tier the rest here)

Jin/Ogre - Honestly, it's debated as to who's "better", Jin or Ogre in this game, however both are beastly. Ogre has crazy 50% damage dealing combos, that are baby easy to dish out, and his has Oki's up the face. Then you have Jin with Ewgf, sickening Juggles, ws+2, WaveDash mixups, and HS killer setups.

Ling - This ver. of Ling had the BEST AOP Stance version of ALL TIME.

Law - Crazy HighRisk/HighReward ratio, the BEST B+1,2,1 out of any Law, the 3,4 was super deadly and lead to half-life damage juggles, Parry Punch leads to half-life juggles as well. Arguably the Best Law of all time.

Tekken 4 Note: Again, after the Top and Upper Tier, it becomes debatable again

Elite Tier
Jin Kazama

Top Tier
Nina
Steve
Lee

Upper Tier
Ling
Paul
Kazuya
Heihachi

Middle Tier
Everyone Else

Bottom Tier
Kuma
Lei

Jin Kazama - 3 Things that put Jin over the Top Tiers in Tekken 4....JFLS was the most powerful Single Move in All of Tekken Existence, on hit or CH, by itself it took off 60% ?!?!(That's as much as a single launcher+juggle in a game like Tekken 5), and if you include a juggle, it was 94-100%+ damage!!!

Parry was 20-Frames of beast, and 2-frames for punishment making it nearly impossible to punish. After a Parry, Jin was either safe, but in many cases could go into 2,4 then d+4 pawnage. 2,1's gave him a +3 advantage on block, and INSANE +8 on hit!

Jin had a powerful low ground attack in the game with d+4, the most powerful bulldogging gameplay in Tekken4, adding it with the most powerful Wall Game in Tekken 4. He dominated or had the upper hand in every match up in Tekken 4 besides Steve, not to mention every Tekken 4 tournament went like this for the Top 8 finishes...Jin, Jin, Jin, Jin, Jin, Steve, Nina, Jin, you get the point.

That's it for now, I'll update it later, any questions, disagreements or whatever, post up and I'll be more then happy to answer back.

Hope you all enjoy reading it.

JustFrame
Reserved, to post more Tier List and Information.

JustFrame
Reserved, to post more Tier List and Information

Peach
Holy crap, it's a teal deer!

There's really not much that can be discussed in this, and there's threads for most of the individual games already. Use those.

Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.