Mirrors

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Click here to see the trailer.

Mirrors is a 2008 remake of the 2003 South Korean horror film Into the Mirror, directed by Alexandre Aja, director of the remake of The Hills Have Eyes, and starring Kiefer Sutherland.

Ben Carson (Kiefer Sutherland) is the head of security at a department store plagued by unexplained deaths. In addition to issues concerning the deaths, the store is also the target of demonstrators who seek compensation for a tragic fire that killed the staff. Ben eventually becomes intrigued by a disturbed woman who claims she is his sister who died in the fire. The woman is exacting revenge, using mirrors as a gateway back into the living world.

Another Asian re-make. However, I must add, it's under the hands of a noteworthy director (Aja) who knows what he's doing, in my opinion.

Any comments?

Selphie
Looks kinda lame at first, but I may just give it a shot, 'cause I'm just that generous.

Impediment
I have to admit that I am genuinely curious because Alex Aja has done such a good job with High Tension and The Hills have Eyes.

Selphie
Hmm, I loved High Tension, but haven't seen the remake of the Hilss Have Eyes yet (or the original). So you'd recommend it?

MildPossession
Definitely Selphie! to me it's better than the original.

Into the Mirrors is a good Asian horror. Remake I am interested in because of the director, it also looks more full on gore compared to the original.

Selphie
Oh, okay, I think I'll give them a shot then. Glad you guys have seen the originals, otherwise I'd've just said No way, Jose.

Blinky
Asian horror has yet to impress me, so I doubt any re-make of an asian horror film can be any better.

Impediment
I gave up on Asian horror a long time ago. The only reason I'm even remotely interested in this is because of the notoriety of the director.

And, yes, Selphie, you really need to see The Hills have Eyes re-make. It's damn good.

MildPossession
You can't be serious, there are some good ones out there! A Tale of Two Sisters is a very good one from Korea.

steverules
Originally posted by Impediment
I gave up on Asian horror a long time ago. The only reason I'm even remotely interested in this is because of the notoriety of the director.

And, yes, Selphie, you really need to see The Hills have Eyes re-make. It's damn good.

I love that re-make big grin I think it's actually better than the original, it's the best re-make I have ever seen eek!

Dark-Jaxx
Hills Have Eyes actually was pretty good.

I may see this, but won't really have high expectations simply cause it's an Asian remake.

Blinky
Originally posted by MildPossession
You can't be serious, there are some good ones out there! A Tale of Two Sisters is a very good one from Korea.

Actually I am serious. Even one of the "holy grails" of Asian horror failed to impress me, "The Audition", although it is still sadly the best Asian Horror Film I have seen. It was base, pointless and relied on trying to be "disturbing" and shock points... It tried too hard and failed. This is the basic trend of Asian Horror.

Dark-Jaxx
Japan in general is scarier than Asian horror movies lol.

The_Dormouse
As a redneck in a diner once told me, "Of course Asian movies are 'skurry'. Have ya seen how damned short they are?"

MildPossession
Out of interest, what horror films impress you? and how many Asian horror films have you seen?

Blinky
Out of interest, what horror films impress you? and how many Asian horror films have you seen?

Well to be honest I have not seen a shitload of Asian Horror, but I've seen enough to discourage me. I'll gladly sit and watch if I don't have to pay and if the person recommending has the same taste in horror movies as I do.

A few examples of Horror movies that impress me:

Halloween (the original)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the Original)
The Evil Trilogy
Re-Animator
The Shining

Now, I know that some of these movies are not "scary" but that is not what I always look for in horror. Many asian Horror films just don't have anything to offer, they TRY to be scary or disturbing and they fail. So if you are a fan of shitty ass movies like "JU-ON" or any if these dumb movies about ghost kids... then more power to you.

MildPossession
No I didn't think much of Ju On movies, but I am a fan of Ringu and saw it when it was first released, nothing dumb about Ringu at all if you think that for some reason. That's more one of the 'holy grails' of horror compared to Audition in the Asian Horror world.

Audition I saw when I thought it was just a thriller type film and not expecting a 'horror' film since all I had really seen of Miike was violent/crime films. So it was a surprise to see the disturbing elements at the end and made it powerful for me. I've seen lots of asian horror/films.

BruceSkywalker
I've always been a fan of Kiefer and I like Amy Smart. This shows some promise and I will go see it

ragesRemorse
It's got The kiefer, so im in.

MildPossession
If you look around there is an official opening scene video from the film before the credits start.

WrathfulDwarf
This film most likely is inspired by the Bloody Mary urban legend.

MildPossession
Just read one of the first reviews and it doesn't get a very good write up, especially coming from such a director...

TKM
Mirrors? My friend is obsessed with going to see that movie. In a way, I actually look forward to seeing. I haven't seen a good horror film in a long time. The latest ones I've seen are hilarious and for example those Saw movies; it doesn't scary me. I laugh at they're stupidity.

I'm up for something that will at least make me jump and send me home not wishing I could get my money back.

Zilverz
Just watched this last night. I was on edge, but supernatural movies really get me. There is definately some brutal scenes for gore fans, but the movie isnt saturated with it. Id say anyone can watch it and if your a horror fan you should definately check it out.

Amy Smart partial nude, yum!

deathbycorn
Watching it tonight, will post thoughts.

ragesRemorse
This movie was dogshit. It did have some nice gore and we do get to see Jack Bauer fight a demon and kidnap a nun at gunpoint, so, that might be worth watching to some people. Personally, i always wanted to see Jack bauer get into a fire fight with a demon, so i got something out of it. It really is trash, though. It feels like one of those after dark, movie's.

deathbycorn
This movie kind of reminded me of Constantine for some reason. Even though they are nothing alike.

I didn't think much of it actually and fell asleep before the end so I have to finish it off this morning.

Aja really needs to go back to France and make a another original film like Haute Tension. Even P2 lacked the suspense of Haute Tension.

MildPossession
It's out on dvd already?

Also P2 wasn't directed by him, only partly written and produced, so not much of a say in how it turned out.

deathbycorn
Its out in Russia on DVD.

I know Aja didn't direct it. But it was pretty much his story.

MildPossession
Where did you manage to order the Region 5 edition? I should be seeing Mirrors next week sometime.

deathbycorn
I don't order, I download smile

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by deathbycorn
I don't order, I download smile

Good man! cool

I watched it today at work since I had nothing to do. It wasnt bad but not great. The ending was just stupid. Kieffer seemed to be using the same clothes as in 24. The way he says "daammit" is amusing. I guess thats his catch phrase.

Wolfie
I don't watch TV much anymore so I just got around to seeing the trailer to Mirrors last night.

On one hand, Alexandre Aja directed the movie. I LOVE High Tension and THHE was alright.

On the other hand, it's an Asian horror remake and starring Kiefer Sutherland. No original or American remake has impressed me. And Sutherland was tolerable in only one or two roles for me.

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I watched it today at work since I had nothing to do. It wasnt bad but not great. The ending was just stupid.
I think Aja has proven that he can deliver a great horror movie and the stupid ending won't ruin it (High Tension).

deathbycorn
The Eye remake was good but I wish Alba didn't get cast as the lead.

MildPossession
Mirrors was rather disappointing, Aja is not on form at all with this and hope it isn't him starting to go downhill. I think they made a big mistake with Sutherland in the lead, he was terrible.

Haute Tension was fantastic and he proves he can do fabulous remakes with The Hills Have Eyes. Superior to the original for me.

Zilverz
well i guess im a big P.. because it had me tensed up a lot and thought it was creepy. I thought sutherland was believable.. im guess im out numbered on this, but i didnt think it was trash.

Kento
This movie was alright not as good as I thought but not totally unwatchable imo. The only reason it was even the slightest creepy to me is because I have a slight adversion to mirrors as it is. So seeing something kill people through mirrors is kinda creepy when I already look in a mirror expecting to see something that shouldn't be there. Course even then it's still not a scary movie just a bit creepy.

MildPossession
His acting was not very good in parts, and the dodgy dialogue didn't help. All I kept thinking of too was his real life antics.

Discos
Originally posted by Zilverz
Just watched this last night. I was on edge, but supernatural movies really get me.

Same here dude, I am always freakin out seeing them types of movies.

This was a movie I was actually really wanting to go see, but it aint in the cinema anymore. Shame, seemed only 3-4weeks it lasted in the theaters.

Definatly a DVD rental then, I am a big fan of Sutherland but if he is acting like some previous posts say (like he is still Bauer), then it will be distasteful.

So what would you guys rate it out of 10?

MildPossession
2 out of 5 for me.

Go find the Korean original film instead.

ragesRemorse
His acting was not very good in parts, and the dodgy dialogue didn't help. All I kept thinking of too was his real life antics.

I think you're giving him more credit than he deserves. Although i like the Kiefer, he played a more domestic Jack Bauer. I mean, i thought that was cool because i got to see Jack Bauer fight demons, kidnap nuns and get stuck in a parallel dimension but it was still Jack Bauer laughing out loud

Laura Palmer
I can't get over of how terrible that film was.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.