Bring on Batman 3: Johnny Depp

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rox

Da Joker
If he is cast he better do a hell of a job. I want the Riddler to be as dark and sinister with his riddles as possible.

crimsonphoenix
i just read this on yahoo. i cant really picture johnny depp as riddler tho. but who knows it might work out if he does play him.

The Heap
Depp needs to stay as far away from this franchize as possible.

willofthewisp
As good as I think Johnny Depp is, I'd like to see some concept art and a screentest before I'd endorse him as the Riddler. As Jack Sparrow or JM Barrie? Perfect. As Willy Wonka? Worst decision ever.

WrathfulDwarf
NO THANK YOU!

Next please...

roughrider
If they do the Riddler, I'd like to see a real change in his look - not the bowler hat & mask with green outfit. Instead, something like a bald neo-nazi looking guy with tattoos of riddles all over his skin. And he's obsessed by numerology and conspiracy theories. That would fit Nolan's Batman Universe.

ScarletSpeed
Jim Carey in number 23 is what I would kinda like to see, but evil.

obviously nothing like Jim's performance before.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by willofthewisp
As good as I think Johnny Depp is, I'd like to see some concept art and a screentest before I'd endorse him as the Riddler. As Jack Sparrow or JM Barrie? Perfect. As Willy Wonka? Worst decision ever.
Johnny Depp himself has yet to be bad in an adult role IMO. He's been in bad movies but his performances have always been detailed and he's immersed himself into the characters. And he wasn't a bad Willy Wonka IMO he just wasn't the 70s Willy Wonka everyone remembers who was nothing more than a shill to launch a new brand of candy to kids and the writer of the book Roald Dahl HATED himself.

Mairuzu
As long as he doesnt do a crappy job like willy wonka

willofthewisp
Actually, Selina, he will be playing John Dillinger in the upcoming Public Enemies, so that will show us whether he is skilled enough to be a good villain or not.

SelinaAndBruce
Actually, Selina, he will be playing John Dillinger in the upcoming Public Enemies, so that will show us whether he is skilled enough to be a good villain or not.
He played a villain in other movies before too. The crappy The Astronaut's Wife for example. He was good and creepy. The movie was not.

willofthewisp
I haven't seen that. I do wonder what he would do with the Riddler. I can see one of two things happening. 1.) he really channels the character, sees the darkness and creepiness that comes with being the Riddler and turns out a great performance, maybe as iconic as Ledger's Joker or 2.) he goes wild with it and he becomes a zany kook like Frank Gorshen in the tv show. I absolutely can't stand wacky Johnny Depp. You're probably looking at my siggy going, "she hates wacky Johnny and loves Jack Sparrow?" I mean, like, Willy Wonka wacky.

Mairuzu
My favorite Johnny Depp character was Sands in once upon a time in mexico

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by The Heap

My sentiments exactly.

SelinaAndBruce
Willy Wonka is supposed to be wacky. And eccentric. He lives in a choclate factory with pygmies.

celestialdemon
I love Johnny Depp, but if he's cast as the Riddler, I'm boycotting the next movie.

rox
if he goes secret window crazy he could pull of the riddler

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
Willy Wonka is supposed to be wacky. And eccentric. He lives in a choclate factory with pygmies.

I liked the original Willy Wonka

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I liked the original Willy Wonka
Ok that's fine. But the original Willy Wonka was still nothing like the character in the book and was a character created solely for the purpose of Nestle to launch their Wonka chocolate candy brand and pissed off the writer of the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to the point where he would no longer let Hollywood produce his works, so like him or not he was an inaccurate representation of the character. Any person who isolated themselves in a chocolate factory and would allow children to be harmed in the way that they were in the book clearly wouldn't be some patriarchal nice whimsical guy but someone socially warped and detached from reality.

But I understand most people like what they saw first, which is why there are some people who still prefer Michael Keaton as Batman and Jack Nicholson as the Joker even though others complain that their characters had great deviations from the source material. Sall good.

Personally I always hated the 70s Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory especially as a child and I didn't even see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because I hated the original so much. A friend tricked me into watching it one night and I was delighted at how much more I enjoyed it and back then I was not a fan of Johnny Depp in particular at all.

willofthewisp
I hate all things related to Wonka, even (shields body from upcoming harm) the beloved children's book. I just can't stand it. And I couldn't stand for the Riddler to be that...flamboyant's not the right word. I'm going to go back with wacky. Johnny Depp is perfectly capable of playing people with astonishingly high intellects and I'd like to see a performance that calls attention to that in addition to Nygma's narcissism.

ragesRemorse
If Depp is indeed cast to play the Riddler. I don't think there is any question whether or not he can pull it off. Depp usually shines in roles of the more obscure. With Nolan behind the Camera i would be confident in whomever is cast to play the next villain. The only thing that i think could hurt the decision to cast Depp is his notoriety. If he wasn't such an ambiguous actor in nature i would be entirely against Depp playing any comic book villain or hero. As long as Nolan and company continue the franchise with a darker tone, i have full confidence in those filmmakers.

Endrict Nuul
Depp would be great casting for the Riddler I just can't stand the character that's all.

SelinaAndBruce
I hate all things related to Wonka, even (shields body from upcoming harm) the beloved children's book. I just can't stand it. And I couldn't stand for the Riddler to be that...flamboyant's not the right word. I'm going to go back with wacky. Johnny Depp is perfectly capable of playing people with astonishingly high intellects and I'd like to see a performance that calls attention to that in addition to Nygma's narcissism.
Again I don't know why you assume the Riddler would be like Willy Wonka. None of the characters that Johnny Depp has played are really much alike at all, he plays completely diverse roles and he is very good and delving into different characters and giving them their own quirks. Just because Johnny Depp played a wacky character like Willy Wonka in Charlie and the chocolate factory doesn't mean he's gonna be wacky in all the rest of his movies. I don't know if you saw Sweeney Todd but there was not one thing wacky about that character, he was off his nut crazy and that was after Wonka with the exact same director and the characters are nothing alike. Again this reminds me of some of those people acting like the Joker would automatically be a gay cow boy because Heath Ledger was playing him.

For me I have no doubt that Johnny Depp can do almost anything.

willofthewisp
Oh, I don't assume the Riddler will be like Willy Wonka, and Sweeney Todd was wonderful. I was using it as an example on how easily a good actor can take a role like that and make it ridiculous. Take Jim Carrey's performance as the Riddler, for example. I'm sure Johnny Depp would do a much better job, but I'd just be curious to know how he would interpret the character before actually being in the movie.

SelinaAndBruce
Oh, I don't assume the Riddler will be like Willy Wonka, and Sweeney Todd was wonderful. I was using it as an example on how easily a good actor can take a role like that and make it ridiculous. Take Jim Carrey's performance as the Riddler, for example. I'm sure Johnny Depp would do a much better job, but I'd just be curious to know how he would interpret the character before actually being in the movie.
Johnny Depp didn't make Willy Wonka ridiculous though, Willy Wonka is ridiculous. And Jim Carrey is not a good actor. What he did with the Riddler is what he did with all his characters during that era. He mad the character a Jim Carrey character instead of actually playing the Riddler, and that's partially Schumacher's fault for not stopping him but he wasn't a good director for the Batman franchise anyway

Almighty Bauer
Can people maybe talk a little more about the idea of Johnny Depp as the Riddler rather than whining about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Maybe?

SelinaAndBruce
You could start that by contributing a post that does just that.

I want Johnny as the Riddler

BruceSkywalker
Latest casting rumor....BE WARNED ITS ONLY A RUMOR

George Clooney and Chad Michael Murray may be talking to Warner Bros about portraying The Riddler
laughing out loud stick out tongue

Bat Dude

George Clooney and Chad Michael Murray may be talking to Warner Bros about portraying The Riddler

Are you kidding me?

To hell with that...

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Bat Dude
Are you kidding me?

To hell with that...

rox

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooo!

how could they do this to my favorite villian

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by rox
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooo!

how could they do this to my favorite villian

Its only a rumor which you know will happen from now until sometime next year. I don't expect any facts concerning Batman 3 until mid to late '09

rox
Its only a rumor which you know will happen from now until sometime next year. I don't expect any facts concerning Batman 3 until mid to late '09

but that's awful. don't scare me like that

Master Crimzon
I don't think they should make a Batman 3.

Seriously. Look at all the (good) superhero franchises. Examples? X-Men was good. X-Men 2 was awesome. X-Men 3? Meh. Spider-Man 1 was good. Spider-Man 2 was awesome. Spider-Man 3? Meh. Batman '89 was good. Batman Returns was also good. Batman Forever sucks balls.

See? There is no superhero franchise that made it to a third movie while staying awesome. TDK is the ultimate Batman movie; it simply cannot be improved. Hell, all the good villains were used up, for once. Why not end the Batman movie franchise on the best imaginable note?

I mean, seriously. Can anyone imagine a better Batman movie than TDK? Except for TDK -10 minutes?

Neo Darkhalen
I like Depp, he's a good actor, can he play Riddler?........for me it's a no.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
I don't think they should make a Batman 3.

Seriously. Look at all the (good) superhero franchises. Examples? X-Men was good. X-Men 2 was awesome. X-Men 3? Meh. Spider-Man 1 was good. Spider-Man 2 was awesome. Spider-Man 3? Meh. Batman '89 was good. Batman Returns was also good. Batman Forever sucks balls.

See? There is no superhero franchise that made it to a third movie while staying awesome. TDK is the ultimate Batman movie; it simply cannot be improved. Hell, all the good villains were used up, for once. Why not end the Batman movie franchise on the best imaginable note?

I mean, seriously. Can anyone imagine a better Batman movie than TDK? Except for TDK -10 minutes?

There wil be many Batman movies

Will they try to top TDK...Yes

Can they top TDK..Frack no

Scythe
I think TDK was left open for an awesome part three. It didn't end on a happy ending, Batman is on the run from the law, Two-Face might not be dead (cop out!) the Joker and Scarecrow aren't dead, there's still plenty of villains left, and Gordon will be the guy to go to hunting down Batman. He'll also have his new mansion and new batcave.

Master Crimzon
As much as I'd love for the Joker to come back (at least in a cameo), I don't think they'll let him. People will be swearing all over the place for 'disrespecting Ledger' or something like that, and frankly, I can't imagine anyone else in the role of the Joker.

They just made the ultimate Batman movie. Why do you need to make another Batman movie that will be inferior, just for the money? Seriously, let's the Nolan franchise go down in history as a perfect franchise.

I think Chris should move on to do another superhero movie. A dark one, ye know. I think he could make an excellent Punisher movie, teh be honest.

Oh, and did you people hear that the new Superman movie coming out is gonna be dark, like TDK? God, this is gonna suck.

Scythe
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
People will be swearing all over the place for 'disrespecting Ledger' or something like that

Same goddamn people that ruined this movie for me...

Master Crimzon
Why? What happened with this movie? no expression

RevoWution™©®
Originally posted by celestialdemon
I love Johnny Depp, but if he's cast as the Riddler, I'm boycotting the next movie.

This is nothing compared to if Cher's cast as Catwoman sick

*CRINGES*

Almighty Bauer

Master Crimzon
I actually think Depp will be a great choice for the Riddler; it's just that I'm not excited about the idea of a Batman 3 that will undoubtedly be a lesser movie than TDK, and I'm not a big fan of the Riddler.

Master Crimzon
EDIT- Double post

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
Jim Carey in number 23 is what I would kinda like to see, but evil.

obviously nothing like Jim's performance before.

When it comes to a NEW Riddler, i think we should avoid anything that has to do with Jim Carey. The last thing we need is another Jim Carey Riddler.

NOlan is a good writer/Director and Depp is a good actor. With the two of them working together i would have confidence in what ever they might produce together.

BruceSkywalker
I don't even think that Johnny Depp will even get a look see when the casting process starts. First off Nolan has a penchant for casting foreign actors for roles. Second, if the rumor is to be believed and I highly doubt Warner Bros not Chris Nolan wants Depp as The Riddler. Now there is no script, Nolan has not even officially signed back on (but we all know he is going to), so with no script no one even knows who exactly will be in the next film. I think we all remember Spiderman 3, meaning yes the film made $800 million worldwide(I may check that), but people were divided. It is a well known fact that Marvel/Avi Arad told Sam Raimi to put Venom into the film and we know how that turned out.

So when I hear this rumor that Warner Bros' wants this or that for the next Batman film I am going to believe it until it becomes official. WB knows that Nolan is doing one helluva job so it doesn't make no sense for them to tell him what to do.

Almighty Bauer
I don't even think that Johnny Depp will even get a look see when the casting process starts. First off Nolan has a penchant for casting foreign actors for roles.
Everyone's foreign in relation to someone else. wink

ragesRemorse
I think Daniel Day Lewis should play the riddler or just reprise his role as bill the butchar. I think Bill the Butchar would be a great batman villain smokin'

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I think Daniel Day Lewis should play the riddler or just reprise his role as bill the butchar. I think Bill the Butchar would be a great batman villain smokin'

Nah, Day Lewis is talented, but right now I can't see it..

DeNiro
Originally posted by The Heap

seconded

Myth
Depp just signed on for a couple of Disney movies. Hopefully that will help keep him out of the Batman franchise.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Myth
Depp just signed on for a couple of Disney movies. Hopefully that will help keep him out of the Batman franchise.

I hope so..

BruceSkywalker
...And here are his roles...

Depp has signed on to be Tonto

and will return as Capt. Jack...

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NExAxyCAsTfUBC

So know that that is taken care of, No Depp plz,

Yes he is a good actor, but not in a Batman movie..

SpaceMonkey
He's also going to be The Mad Hatter in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

DeNiro
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
He's also going to be The Mad Hatter in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

No way when does that movie come out?

SelinaAndBruce
I want Depp. Period, lol

Kovacs86
Originally posted by DeNiro
No way when does that movie come out?

Are you really surprised? Alice is very Burton (and therefore Depp)-ish territory. Quirky, weird, classic story. I just hope Burton doesn't do what he did with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which he completely bastardised.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Are you really surprised? Alice is very Burton (and therefore Depp)-ish territory. Quirky, weird, classic story. I just hope Burton doesn't do what he did with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which he completely bastardised.

Kniowing Burton, he will do exactly that...

He will turn a good, timeless, classic child's story and frack it up..

Kovacs86
Kniowing Burton, he will do exactly that...

He will turn a good, timeless, classic child's story and frack it up..

I'm afraid so. It'll wind up as some extremely twisted Gothic tale. Burton, frankly, needs to stick to his own, original work (e.g, the Nightmare Before Christmas). That's great, but I can't think of a Burton adaption I've really liked.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kovacs86
I'm afraid so. It'll wind up as some extremely twisted Gothic tale. Burton, frankly, needs to stick to his own, original work (e.g, the Nightmare Before Christmas). That's great, but I can't think of a Burton adaption I've really liked.

The only truly Burton film I've ever liked is Edward Scissorhands , starring of course, Depp

Jamaican
I personally don't care for the Burton movies either. I love Depp. I think he's one of the best actors around. I think he could do an amazing job as the Riddler. Especially if he were to be getting advice from
Nolan, and if he were pointed towards some great comics.

Regarding what someone posted earlier (RE: Warners interfering with Nolan's franchise) - they'd be stupid to. I don't know how much input they've had, I doubt they've had any for the first 2, but they need to leave the producers alone. They're obviously doing a great job. Leave well enough alone...

cloud102
A few things:

Christopher Nolan has free reign over the Batman movies now. Him using Willy Wonka Depp is highly unlikely. Seeing that's not his style. Mostly.

Depp is in a bunch of projects now, so he'll be busy for a while. Unless WB puts off the third Batman movie.

We don't really know if Depp will be good or not. The movie hasn't even come out yet.

Depp has tremendous range. I'm sure he could pull it off. Depending on how he takes the roll.

Depp and Bale will be in a movie together for the first time. Public Enemies, directed by Michael Mann. They could very well star in another movie together.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.