Where did the Green Goblin's inspiration come from?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Da Joker
Alright, I know he's real similar to the Joker, but is that really where the inspiration came from? Thus far the only person who I know for sure was inspired by the Joker was Cletus Kassidy, but was the Green Gobby as well.

Toku King
Joker and Green Goblin are nothing alike. "Oh! They both smile, and Goblin's laughed before! That makes them similar, even though numerous other villains have done the same thing like every villain from the 40s-70s!"

Da Joker
Dude, cool it with the attitude, all I did was ask a question. And they are very similar in that they are both psychotic in a similar way. I've always thought of the Goblin as somewhat being like the Joker, but with powers and a different get up.

Toku King
Originally posted by Da Joker
And they are very similar in that they are both psychotic in a similar way.

GG kills for sick purposes and missions. Joker kills because it's funny.

They're mindsets and ideas are completely different.

Da Joker
Not completely, I've always thought they were similar. I'm not saying they're clones, just that in some ways they are a bit similar.

Carnage, on the other hand, is just like the Joker, but with superpowers.

SpyCspider
Stan Lee had like, what, 20 so odd years to come up with Spidey's main villain knowing that Batman had Joker for that long?

Perhaps subconsciously or even intentionally, he got the inspiration from Joker but I'm sure there are interviews out there to confirm or debunk that.

It's just kind of weird since Batman and Joker are polar opposites..while Spidey is known for being wisecracking but gets super serious when it comes to fighting the goblin.

Da Joker
I'm sure there was some inspiration...even the laughs are somewhat similar.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Toku King
GG kills for sick purposes and missions. Joker kills because it's funny.

Actually the Joker kills because he wants to, and also because he wants to show the world different ideas, different perceptions, in that regard i would class Joker for sick purposes and missions, like the killing joke he wants to prove anyone can go insane if they have a bad day, so he shoots Gordon's daughter chains him up and forces him to look at pictures, to prove a point that he's not so different after all.

But TBH most villains are "similar" to the Joker since he was around in the 40's and a benchmark villain (being the no. 1 greatest villain of all time) while i do see a few joker moments here and there from GG, he never comes off as a joker clone or someone mimicking him, he comes off as his own character, which is more then i can say for Carnage who is..............just a joker clone, only not a very good one.

You never really can understand the Joker, sometimes he kills for the fun of it, but most of the time it's to change the world and to show his world to them, or to show Batman just how close the two of them are.

harri
I think stan lee had no inspiraion because he has a great mind of his own, yes the green goblin tends to sometimes act like the joker but he is not a joker clone. If you remember back when the green goblin debuted he was on a broom and that speaks for itself. It's not stan lee's fault that writers and artists come and go, green goblin's roots is nothing like the joker's.

Da Joker
I never said he was a Joker clone, so stop saying it. Second of all, we all have our own mind, and it's not a crime to create a character inspired by another.

Neo Darkhalen
I never said he was a Joker clone, so stop saying it. Second of all, we all have our own mind, and it's not a crime to create a character inspired by another.

who was that to?

Da Joker
The guy above me and whoever else who said anything about a Joker clone, because I never said Gobby was.

Neo Darkhalen
I think Carnage is a Joker clone.

Da Joker
Carnage has already been said to have been inspired by the Joker, I posted that a couple times above.

Toku King
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Actually the Joker kills because he wants to, and also because he wants to show the world different ideas, different perceptions

Which, to him, is funny.

Toku King
Carnage has already been said to have been inspired by the Joker, I posted that a couple times above.

Carnage is the crappy, two dimensional, uninteresting version of the Joker.

Neo Darkhalen

What he said.

Da Joker
I like Carnage, but someone does need to make him more interesting.

steverules
I like Carnage, but someone does need to make him more interesting.

How when He's currently dead?

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by steverules

Let's hope he never returns.

steverules
Part of me does just to see your reaction stick out tongue

Neo Darkhalen
Part of the Spider-man fan in me will die that day stick out tongue

Da Joker

Obviously it means whenever he returns to any storyline or appears in another cartoon. wink

steverules
Obviously it means whenever he returns to any storyline or appears in another cartoon. wink

Spec spider-man he'll be in that...possibly, ult. spider-man...dunno what'll happen...616 spider-man, I can't really see him returning, and even if he does he'll stay one dimensional...he'll just be a guy who likes to kill, kill and them kill some more. Marvel won't change him because marvel is dumb when it comes to spider-man, we got monkeys on crack writing his stories.

Neo Darkhalen
Spec spider-man he'll be in that...possibly, ult. spider-man...dunno what'll happen...616 spider-man, I can't really see him returning, and even if he does he'll stay one dimensional...he'll just be a guy who likes to kill, kill and them kill some more. Marvel won't change him because marvel is dumb when it comes to spider-man, we got monkeys on crack writing his stories.

Thats true that is.

Da Joker

I know, and we have a crackpot director as well. sad

steverules
It's the sad truth for spider-man...it's just not the same anymore, he used to get some great stuff but then marvel said..and I quote: 'Hey guys...lets like, totally take spider-man and then like....totally ass rape him and screw his stories!'

Neo Darkhalen
And make a new world of spider-man......thanks joe thanks a lot, thanks for taking classic tales that we hold dear and throwing them out the window.

steverules
No he kept them, they are now the toilet paper in the mens bathrooms

Neo Darkhalen
True.

Da Joker
Joe is aight, but aint handling shit right.

Neo Darkhalen
Alright.....haermm hardly DJ, hardly.

Da Joker
He seems like an alright guy in his interviews...but I mean that business wise he's not doing what he needs to do.

harri
I never said he was a Joker clone, so stop saying it. Second of all, we all have our own mind, and it's not a crime to create a character inspired by another. Look man there's no need to be aggresive about all of this, i wasn't pointing the finger at you at all i just said he wasn't a joker clone.

Da Joker
I'm not being aggressive, I simply said he's not a Joker clone, and he's not.

Neo Darkhalen
who's not, Carnage or Goblin?

Da Joker
Green Goblin

Almighty Bauer
Originally posted by SpyCspider
Stan Lee had like, what, 20 so odd years to come up with Spidey's main villain knowing that Batman had Joker for that long?

Perhaps subconsciously or even intentionally, he got the inspiration from Joker but I'm sure there are interviews out there to confirm or debunk that.

It's just kind of weird since Batman and Joker are polar opposites..while Spidey is known for being wisecracking but gets super serious when it comes to fighting the goblin.
If he was inspired subconsciously then he wouldn't think about it, therefore he wouldn't necessarily admit to being inspired by the Joker in any interview, would he?

Pyron_Knight

You can't get more two-dimensional and uninteresting than Joker.
Only Alan Moore made him deep and that's because he's a god and could turn shit into gold like he did in Killing Joke.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Pyron_Knight
Only Alan Moore made him deep and that's because he's a god and could turn shit into gold like he did in Killing Joke.

What a stupid response this is, if you actually bothered to read into the character you would understand that even before the killing joke, the Joker was a very deep and psychological character with different layers, obviously you never thought that deep into it as you only saw the plain "psycho clown look" which in itself can sometimes be determined as a farce by the Joker himself as a clever ploy so that he can just get thrown into Arkham time and time again, from this post i can gather you have hardly read any Batman comics, it is also apparent that you have no grasp or knowledge on the character, i could understand if you had an opinion on the matter, but you clearly don't, as you have proved i would have accepted you saying, "I don't like the Joker for this such and such reason" however you have provided no reason as to why he is 2D, now i would suggest you pick up more then the killing joke (which yes it does indeed show a great light on the Joker and his stance on Batman etc. however i believe you should have various sources to get a clear understanding of events/personality of that hero/villain) and read them more carefully, unless you are just a 13 year old child, then yeah i don't expect you to grasp the Joker's nature or his relationship with Batman.

I would go on but with the likes of everyone on the Batman forum and Mr. Shin here in the Spider-man forum i believe collectively we would all say the same, and prove why he is not 2D, you don't have to like him, that's fine but don't go around saying things that are clearly untrue without having a proper understanding of the character.

Magic_attack
I would just like to go on the record by saying that "I like Joker."

I say this for 2 reasons-

1. being that I actually like Joker.

and

2. Neo scares me when he gets like that. fear

Markus Corvinus

*looks around at everyone else* Is anyone really this stupid, or am I dreaming?

Scythe

You put too much faith in Alan Moore, the same Alan Moore who dislikes Killing Joke nowadays. It's fairly alright to idolize someone's work, but you can't just say Alan Moore did the Joker justice when many other people made him who he is today.

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
What a stupid response this is, if you actually bothered to read into the character you would understand that even before the killing joke, the Joker was a very deep and psychological character with different layers, obviously you never thought that deep into it as you only saw the plain "psycho clown look" which in itself can sometimes be determined as a farce by the Joker himself as a clever ploy so that he can just get thrown into Arkham time and time again, from this post i can gather you have hardly read any Batman comics, it is also apparent that you have no grasp or knowledge on the character, i could understand if you had an opinion on the matter, but you clearly don't, as you have proved i would have accepted you saying, "I don't like the Joker for this such and such reason" however you have provided no reason as to why he is 2D, now i would suggest you pick up more then the killing joke (which yes it does indeed show a great light on the Joker and his stance on Batman etc. however i believe you should have various sources to get a clear understanding of events/personality of that hero/villain) and read them more carefully, unless you are just a 13 year old child, then yeah i don't expect you to grasp the Joker's nature or his relationship with Batman.

pwnage

Markus Corvinus
Alan Moore is a peice of crap, to be honest. He dislikes his own films, even when they're done justice. F*ck Alan Moore. Whether he did a Joker or story or not, he'd still be iconic, so f*ck him.

Pyron_Knight
Alan Moore is one of the best comic book writers in history so no...he's not crap sorry.

And this post is just a giant run-on thought that says nothing.

So he likes to kill people for shits and giggles.
That's it?
Gotcha. Two-dimensional indeed.

What's there to understand?
A. he's insane.
B. He likes killing and hurting people.
That's all his character is known for. That's the sole mark of his legacy.
There is nothing beyond.

Neo Darkhalen
Alan Moore is one of the best comic book writers in history so no...he's not crap sorry.

That's it?

A. he's insane.
There is nothing beyond.

And you proved my point, you have never read any Batman comics at all, so you have no say in the matter, fact still stands he is not a 2D character at all, if you bother to read any Batman comics in you're time then you will see his complexity in the form of his relationship with Batman, as i said before i could go into this at a deep length, but considering the entire Batman forum would back me up on this and Mr. Shin here also, who knows what he's talking about when it comes to Batman comics, i really don't see the need to waste my time on such an idiotic post/view, and I'm not bashing you or anything like that, it's the simple truth the character has a complex personality, he's not mearly killing for "shits and giggles" he does it for a reason, that reason can vary depending on the matter, fact is every time he tortures someone or hurts someone he's making a point and this could be anything from, all it takes is one bad day to become him, to showing Batman he's exactly the same as him, to say he is doing it for no reason can be considered fact in some cases, however you will find that almost all of the things he does are to send a message across, and in other stories, it has been suggested the Joker is Sane and uses the image of insanity to just get thrown into Arkham time and time again, others have said he is "super-sane" like i said only someone lacking in Batman knowledge would make that claim, and just as i said at the top that means they have no say in such a matter.

I would suggest you read other source's other then the Killing Joke, i would also suggest you take time to read into the books other then just the plain, "oh Jokers the bad-guy he gets beat by Batman because he's the good-guy" angle because that only really works with 5 year old's.

Markus Corvinus

That's it?

A. he's insane.
There is nothing beyond.

Somebody's in love with Alan Moore... laughing out loud

harri
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.