Favorite Paul Thomas Anderson Film?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
One of my favorite directors (although I haven't seen a few of his movies yet) and I know there are other fans of him on here.

I was curious as to what your favorite P.T. Anderson movies was.

Out of the three that I've seen (There Will Be Blood, Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love), I'd have to choose Magnolia.

Anyway, discuss!

Röland
I've seen There Will Be Blood, Magnolia and Boogie Nights. I'd choose Boogie Nights as my favorite of the three that I've seen.

manorastroman
he's done hard eight, boogie nights, magnolia, punch drunk love, and there will be blood. oh, and legend has it he directed the majority of prairie home companion as a favor to altman.

i could make an argument for any of them, but punch drunk love is the only one i can't imagine never seeing again.

MildPossession
As much as I like Altman, that was one borefest.

As for Anderson, I've only seen Magnolia, and Punch Drunk Love. Magnolia it will have to be so far.

Toku King
Paul Anderson? "Mortal Kombat".

MildPossession
Ha ha, no...

ragesRemorse
My favorite of his movie's is There will be blood, but it is more for Daniel day lewis' performance than anything. He did do an exceptional making me thoroughly believe that i was living back in the early 1900's though. I'd say his most fascinating for me, would be punch drunk love. I was floored with what he was able to do with Adam Sandler and i was biting fingers every moment of the way, i was that engrossed with the characters.

moviebuff1084
I have not seen everything of his but from what i have seen i would have to say Punch-Drunk Love is my favorite cause i love Adam Sandler and that movie was just great.

WrathfulDwarf
I never seen one of his movies.

Which one would you guys recommend?

Robtard
Hard Eight (also known as Sydney) (1996) ????
Boogie Nights (1997) - Good Movie
Magnolia (1999) - Good Movie
Punch-Drunk Love (2002) - Looks like shit.
There Will Be Blood (2007) - Lewis was good.

chillmeistergen
I really like Magnolia and There Will Be Blood, Boogie Nights was good as well. Other than that, I haven't seen anything else. I'll give the others a watch, though just reading Adam Sandler's name makes me physically sick.

=Tired Hiker=
There will be blood was by far my favorite. I really liked Punch Drunk Love second best. Boogie Nights was good. I wasn't all that thrilled with Magnolia.

moviebuff1084
There will be blood i thought was ok at best. It just went on to long and did not serve much of a purpose. It was not bad but it was not god either.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by moviebuff1084
There will be blood i thought was ok at best. It just went on to long and did not serve much of a purpose. It was not bad but it was not god either.

Oh dear, and you call yourself a movie buff?

S_D_J
I've only seen Magnolia and Boggie Nights

never interested in Punch Drunk Love, though I've been told it's quite good.

and I own the "There Will Be Blood" DVD, though I have not seen it yet blink

So far I'd say Magnolia (I completely loved that movie, one of my all time favorites)

Robtard

It was like a character study of Daniel Plainview, and it did that well, very well. I didn't care much for those repeated quiet scenes of Day-Lewis just standing or toiling in some fashion, but they served the bigger picture. Day-Lewis also did a terrific performance, dude has the Method and Stanislovski down to a science.

Curious though, what do you mean "it didn't serve a purpose"?

=Tired Hiker=

Not serve much of a purpose except for its originality, it's slate for great actors to perform at their best, it's depicting of the madness behind the early toils of the oil industry . . .

. . . Sir, I will drink your milkshake.

celestialdemon
Boogie Nights is my favorite.

garblejar
ive seen everything except There Will Be Blood (watched 20 mins and loved it but had to turn it off for company), and I would say my favorite is probably Punch Drunk Love or Boogie Nights. its tough though. I loved Magnolia, and I REALLY loved Hard Eight. who knows.

=Tired Hiker=
I have not seen Hard Eight, I'll have to put that on my queue.

moviebuff1084
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Oh dear, and you call yourself a movie buff?

Originally posted by Robtard
It was like a character study of Daniel Plainview, and it did that well, very well. I didn't care much for those repeated quiet scenes of Day-Lewis just standing or toiling in some fashion, but they served the bigger picture. Day-Lewis also did a terrific performance, dude has the Method and Stanislovski down to a science.

Curious though, what do you mean "it didn't serve a purpose"?

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Not serve much of a purpose except for its originality, it's slate for great actors to perform at their best, it's depicting of the madness behind the early toils of the oil industry . . .

. . . Sir, I will drink your milkshake.

OKAY IM SO SORRY I HAVE AN OPINION... AND YES I CALL MYSELF A MOVIE BUFF EVEN IF I DON'T LIKE A RANDOM MOVIE FROM TIME TO TIME. AND NO SIR YOU CAN NOT DRINK MY MILKSHAKE!!!

BackFire
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I never seen one of his movies.

Which one would you guys recommend?

I'd say Boogie Nights. It's the most 'watchable'.

There Will Be Blood is extraordinary, though.

Still, Boogie Nights is probably my favorite of his.

I should watch Magnolia again. I didn't get into it when I watched it a few years back.

WrathfulDwarf
Never seen Boogie Nights...but I heard of it in the past. I think I will watch it...There will blood is on my list to watch before the year ends. Thanks BF.

Robtard
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Never seen Boogie Nights...but I heard of it in the past. I think I will watch it...There will blood is on my list to watch before the year ends. Thanks BF. Just fast-forward to the last 5 minutes, you get to see a really big cock, you'll love it.

moviebuff1084
I want to see Magnolia it looks really good but i just never got around to watching it. A lot of people told me it was really bad but it looks pretty cool.

SnakeEyes
I don't know who told you it was bad, but I'd say their wrong. I can see how people wouldn't like it, but it's a great film imo. Just be prepared for the length, it's 3 hours.

moviebuff1084
Yeah it looked awesome from what i saw of it on the trailers and such.
3 hours is cool i like long movies when their long for a reason.

rockycairns
Boogie Nights

Impediment
Boogie Nights was decent, I have to admit.

There Will Be Blood was a good flick.

Never seen any of his other works.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.