General Grievous vs. Darth Malak

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sup3rman1521
Grievous is NOT crushed by Mace Windu's. He is healthy.

Galan007
is something preventing malak from duplicating what mace did?

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Galan007
is something preventing malak from duplicating what mace did?

In fairness to GG,I think(someone correct me if I'm wrong) he was on a gunship standing out in between the doorway as it rose so he didn't have room to maneuver. Malak needs to get him with the force. Malak would be stupid to try and beat Grievous in saber combat.

Sup3rman1521
is something preventing malak from duplicating what mace did? Malak has to engage Grievous like Obi-Wan did. He can't Force choke Grievous.

DantevsKratos
is force choke neutral or dark side force power?

Sup3rman1521
Technically anyone can use any Force powers, it's just a matter of the purpose or your motive. Darth Vader force chokes to kill or to torment people (like the rebel in A New Hope or the guy in the conference in ANH). Mace did it because he wanted to attack Grievous (merely a good guy attacks bad guy kind of thing). As long as Mace didn't do it to fuel his anger and to fuel his urge for revenge. He did it simply because he's a Jedi and they needed to capture grievous

Man of Christ
right force choke is just force tk pressing the trachea and force tk is nuetral

i say malak takes this, he can just shock gg

Lt. Valerian
Force Choke is considered to be a dark side power. You people are forgetting Mace uses Vaapad, which I believe is, the only reason why he may use Force Choke against his opponents.

Man of Christ
its still just another use of force tk with DS connotations

Galan007
Originally posted by Sup3rman1521
Malak has to engage Grievous like Obi-Wan did. He can't Force choke Grievous. so is this just a straight lightsaber battle . if that's the case, i believe grievous could take this.

on a sidenote, mace didn't use force-choke on gg. he used force-crush on his chest.

Bardock42
Grievous was a worthless loser in the movies, wasn't he.

Meh, Malak I'd say.

Galan007
Originally posted by Bardock42
Grievous was a worthless loser in the movies, wasn't he. yes he was. however, the version of gg being used here, hadn't already been owned by mace - so he's at his height .

Master Crimzon
The fact that Grievous lost to Obi-Wan doesn't make him a worthless loser; Obi-Wan's style, as said by Mace Windu in the RotS novelization, was said to be the ideal style to utilize against Grievous, indeed, making Obi-Wan more effective against Grievous than even otherwise more accomplished swordsmen such as Anakin, Mace, or Yoda.

The novelization continues and states that Grievous could go up to 20 strikes per second, which overloaded Obi-Wan's defenses and forced him to resort to a different move in order to de-hand Grievous. He's NOT worthless in the movies.

Galan007
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
The fact that Grievous lost to Obi-Wan doesn't make him a worthless loser; Obi-Wan's style, as said by Mace Windu in the RotS novelization, was said to be the ideal style to utilize against Grievous, indeed, making Obi-Wan more effective against Grievous than even otherwise more accomplished swordsmen such as Anakin, Mace, or Yoda.

The novelization continues and states that Grievous could go up to 20 strikes per second, which overloaded Obi-Wan's defenses and forced him to resort to a different move in order to de-hand Grievous. He's NOT worthless in the movies. i'm glad to hear the novelization extrapolates on gg, and his loss a bit. however, the opinion that gg was quite worthless/feeble in the movie still holds strong imo - as none of that was actually explained.

Elite Hunter
The novelization continues and states that Grievous could go up to 20 strikes per second

Wasn't it 16 strikes?

Master Crimzon
Why? The novel provides a behind-the-scenes sort of explanation; it's all perfectly canonical (the novel was personally reviewed by George Lucas), and therefore, is relevant to this debate. Movie Grievous = Novel Grievous, which proves that Grievous is not a pathetic weakling.

Galan007
Movie Grievous = Novel Grievous, which proves that Grievous is not a pathetic weakling. what i'm saying is that the movie painted an entirely different picture of gg, than the one you've explained from the novel. as far as what we actually saw in the movie, gg was only a notch or two above pathetic. he certinly had been downgraded since the CW series . remember i'm only speaking from the movie's portrayal.

Null ARC Avis
Wait, how seriously did Mace affect Grevious?
And Malak uses force lightning to kill Grevious. If its sabers only, i think Grevious has a good chance.

Sup3rman1521
It's saber combat only

Jbill311
In sabers only, Greivous can strike something like 23 times per second. Malak gets raped.

Lt. Valerian
Malak is a virtual unknown.

Master Crimzon
what i'm saying is that the movie painted an entirely different picture of gg, than the one you've explained from the novel. as far as what we actually saw in the movie, gg was only a notch or two above pathetic. he certinly had been downgraded since the CW series . remember i'm only speaking from the movie's portrayal.

Even within the movie, Grievous was depicted was striking at incredible speeds; and what makes him only a notch or two above pathetic? The fact that he lost to Obi-Wan? Remember, the EXACT same thing happens in the novel, only with more commentary. There's nothing in the movie that contradicts this, and therefore, the commentary about him in the RotS novel is canonical.

And how, exactly, did he get a dramatic downgrade since the CW series? He beat numerous Jedi at once, true, but the fact that he lost to one Jedi who had the best style to utilize against him does not make him weaker.

Bardock42

The novelization continues and states that Grievous could go up to 20 strikes per second, which overloaded Obi-Wan's defenses and forced him to resort to a different move in order to de-hand Grievous. He's NOT worthless in the movies.

Nah, is a loser in the movies.

Galan007
There's nothing in the movie that contradicts this, and therefore, the commentary about him in the RotS novel is canonical. but there are things in the movie which contradict the novel. for instance, you said gg was throwing upwards of 20 saber strikes per second in the novel, which forced obi to resort to different tactics to dehand him. yet if you watch their duel in the movie, there is no way in hell gg was moving that fast. in fact, there wasn't much more than a dozen, or so, strikes thrown in the movie, before gg lost his first hand . so imo, that alone is enough to say he wasn't moving at said speeds .

i have no doubts that CW gg could have easily moved that fast. christ, he was wielding sabers with his feet, and taking on 5-6 jedi at a time. you'd pretty much have to move at those speeds to accomplish feats of that scale. but in the movie, he just didn't seem nearly as impressive to me .

again, please remember that i am not debating what the novel says about gg - but rather, how he seemed to be portrayed in the movie itself.

Master Crimzon
but there are things in the movie which contradict the novel. for instance, you said gg was throwing upwards of 20 saber strikes per second in the novel, which forced obi to resort to different tactics to dehand him. yet if you watch their duel in the movie, there is no way in hell gg was moving that fast. in fact, there wasn't much more than a dozen, or so, strikes thrown in the movie, before gg lost his first hand . so imo, that alone is enough to say he wasn't moving at said speeds .

i have no doubts that CW gg could have easily moved that fast. christ, he was wielding sabers with his feet, and taking on 5-6 jedi at a time. you'd pretty much have to move at those speeds to accomplish feats of that scale. but in the movie, he just didn't seem nearly as impressive to me .

again, please remember that i am not debating what the novel says about gg - but rather, how he seemed to be portrayed in the movie itself.

The speeds in the novel do not contradict the speeds in the movie, and besides, your personal observations < Official novelization personally approved by GL. For all you know, Obi-Wan WAS getting overwhelmed by GG (watch his facial expressions, read the script and the novel), and it wasn't exactly a walk in the part, as you seem o suggest.

I'm just here to prove that movie Grievous isn't the weakling depicted in the movie, and besides, in the CW series, he didn't attack THAT fast. I seriously doubt if he was as fast or faster than in the movie.

Galan007
The speeds in the novel do not contradict the speeds in the movie, and besides, your personal observations < Official novelization personally approved by GL. For all you know, Obi-Wan WAS getting overwhelmed by GG (watch his facial expressions, read the script and the novel), and it wasn't exactly a walk in the part, as you seem o suggest. yet you can watch the movie and clearly see he wasn't throwing 20+ saber strikes per second? okay, i guess what actually happened in the movie < the novel cuz Z0MG GL approved it ?! that's cool no point arguing it any further because you'll probably just give me the same response. just to let you know, the novel and movie do seem to contradict each other in some aspects imo.

I'm just here to prove that movie Grievous isn't the weakling depicted in the movie, and besides, in the CW series, he didn't attack THAT fast. I seriously doubt if he was as fast or faster than in the movie. i'm not saying movie gg was necessarily weak in the literal sense. he just seemed weak/feeble/pathetic to me in comparison to his jedi-busting CW self. nothing more, nothing less.

Master Crimzon
Look, you can go ahead and ignore George Lucas, the script, Obi-Wan's expressions in the movie, but, seriously. What make GG appear weak to you? I never actually got that.

And, for the last time, the RotS novel features information unseen within the movie, and is canonical so long as nothing directly contradicts it. Narrations and depictions ARE canonical.

Galan007
Look, you can go ahead and ignore George Lucas, the script, Obi-Wan's expressions in the movie, but, seriously. What make GG appear weak to you? I never actually got that. i haven't ignored anything. i've acknowledged everything you've mentioned concerning the novel. all i've been saying is, there seem to be discrepencies concerning the movie & novel's portrayals of gg .

gg from the RotS movie had a chronic, seemingly painful cough; his mobility/agility didn't seem up to snuff ; his saber skills seemed to have lessened . all of the above are total 180's compared to his CW self.

if you still disagree, that's fine. but i'm not going to debate on this any longer. as both of us have stated pretty much the same things time and time agin.

And, for the last time, the RotS novel features information unseen within the movie, and is canonical so long as nothing directly contradicts it. Narrations and depictions ARE canonical. the novel apparently says gg was striking 20+ times a second. the movie displays speeds nowhere near that. seems like a contradiction to me. *shrugs*

Tangible God
Originally posted by Bardock42
Nah, is a loser in the movies. I'd disagree, but Grievous' movie incarnation blows the big one.

Enyalus
Doesn't matter if it's just sabers or all-out, because Malak loses either way. The only time he was a dangerous combatant was when he was being empowered on the Star Forge, and since we aren't there in this battle...

Force Lightning can be deflected/absorbed by Grievous, especially considering he has four lightsabers to do so with. And in pure saber speed and technique, Grievous would destroy Malak - he went toe to toe with Mace Windu afterall, and was trained by Count Dooku (one of the greatest ya da ya da ya da, etc.). No contest for Grievous. The only way he loses is if Malak can actually manage to do a Force Crush before he's beheaded. Considering the strength you'd need to crush durasteel (I assume that's what Grievous' body is made of?), and that Malak isn't getting a boost, I don't even know if he can do that.

Galan007
Originally posted by Enyalus
durasteel (I assume that's what Grievous' body is made of?) "the near-indestructibility of a battle droid wedded to the skills of a deadly warrior":

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5232/g1no6.th.jpg

the above scan also sheds some light onto how many jedi grievous personally killed "hundreds"].

Enyalus
Kind of off topic, but do you all take that "killing hundreds of our brothers and sisters" at face value, and assume it to mean Jedi? Because I think taking 'brothers and sisters' to mean Republic soldiers makes more sense. If he's taking their lightsabers as souvenirs, well, we never see him with a closet filled with lightsabers, right? And Grievous was in some very large Clone Wars battles - exactly how many Jedi could he have taken down at once during those conflicts? I just don't see the 'hundreds' number being correct if it refers to Jedi casualties.

(Who's the guy saying that stuff in the scan, anyway? Cin maybe?How does he know? stick out tongue)

Galan007
never have i heard jedi refer to clone troopers as their "brothers" . however, i have heard them refer to each other as brothers. and i do believe grievous only kept the lightsabers of the 'best' jedi he killed, on his person.*shrugs*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.