The Clone Wars - reviews

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
If you've seen the new Clone Wars movie, please let us know how you feel about it.

Outbound
This movie is just plain awesome.

Its basically 1 1/2 hours of non stop action. Put all of the PT together, take out the crappy romance stuff, shit characters like Jar Jar, dumb ass acting/forced dialogue, empty plot points and you've got Clone Wars. The story is just simple, straightforward, no bullshit. The characters are pretty cool (Ahsoka uses Starkiller's (aka Vader's Apprentice) saber style, its sweet to see it onscreen, Rex using double pistols a la Jango is also cool) and the action blends space battles, ground assaults and lightsaber battles together.

I only found minor - VERY minor - things that made me think 'hmmm...' such as Ahsoka - who is a youngling literally JUST turned padawan - going one on one with Ventress briefly, and at some points when the action starts getting momentum the music turns into this....hard rock/metal type of mood setting, cant even really hear it over the sound effects.....could have just been my imagination but thats what I remember, didnt fit the Star Wars style. From wikipedia, Kevin Kiner does the music which could explain why its a bit different. Earlier posts I made about 'Stinky the Hutt', well after watching it I really dont mind the name.

The movie is not as deep, or philosophical or emotional as the movies - which is not a criticism - its just a fun hour and a half blast through Star Wars. If this is a look at whats in store, the Clone Wars is bound to be a damn good series. Definitely see it in cinema if you get the chance.

Darth Subjekt
I heard that Anakin is barely in it cause, "There's no more story to tell." Is that true or does Anakin have a descent role in this?

Outbound
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
I heard that Anakin is barely in it cause, "There's no more story to tell." Is that true or does Anakin have a descent role in this?

Most of the movie is with Anakin. I think you mean the live action series that comes out next year.

Darth Subjekt
http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1592226/20080805/story.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

tell me which show you think this is. The LA show is the purges, right? And this article was done on August 6th, I believe.

Outbound
I think they're talking about major plot storylines and stuff, Anakin isnt relevant in terms of the overall story arc but he's still featured in episodes as a major character. It would be retarded if he wasnt in it, since Ahsoka is his padawan now.

Jbill311
How is that cannon, b/c in the ROTS Anakin is all emo'd out due to his lack of being a master. He can't have a padawan yet if he isn't a master.

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by Jbill311
How is that cannon, b/c in the ROTS Anakin is all emo'd out due to his lack of being a master. He can't have a padawan yet if he isn't a master.
Really? Then how did OB1 have Anakin as a Padawan at the end of TPM when he was only just made a knight?

S_D_J
Somehow I didn't liked it that much

the action it's awesome, no doubt about it, the movie doesn't waste time and starts with a bang, and it pretty much goes that way throughout the whole movie.

sadly it is based on the PT and it doesn't have much room to branch out since it is clearly a contain time-frame, that won't have that much impact (if any) on the overall story, but it's full of action so at least in that way, it doesn't disappoint.

I really like the character of Ahsoka, it's just that since we know what happens, her character becomes irrelevant (in the overall story, not the movie). She really works great with Anakin and I saw parallels between their relationship and that of Anakin and Obi-Wan. Though it was really annoying when she calls him "Skyguy".
I didn't mind her going up against Ventress, but I found it far-fetched that she will take out 3 Grievous' (or Dooku's) Bodyguardsby herself with "Stinky" on the back.

what bother me though was Ziro the Hutt: WTF? he/she?

The Clones are great in this movie, Rex it's an excellent character, and that's something I really liked about this movie (and something that's really good about the entire show) it's that they manage to give and show sympathetic and totally different personalities to the clones (specially commanders and captains) it gives them more depth and makes their turn on the Jedi all the more tragic. And god they take quite a beating here, I think there's more hurt, dead clones in this movie than on the PT (I mean actually shown)
I really like the inclusion of other non-clones (British) commanders and captains, it helps smooth the transition between the clones and the non-clones troppers of the OT

It works great like a pilot, but as movie, it clearly works like a cash-in attempt... though it still makes for an entertaining 1 1/2 hours

Jbill311
Really? Then how did OB1 have Anakin as a Padawan at the end of TPM when he was only just made a knight?

*shifty eyes and sneaks away*

I haven't seen TPM in forever, but that's no excuse. I'm wrong- nevermind.

Kapton JAC
For over 25 years Star Wars has captivated the mind and enchanted the soul... before the dark times... before the Clone Wars.

Ok, maybe that was alittle over the top.

the first half of the movie was great, I really felt like I was watching Star Wars... but in the second half it just... died.

I'll continue tomorrow... I need time to think.

queeq

That was the point. OB1 gets made a knight and by the Council's approval becomes a master as well by having Anakin as his padawan. If you listen to Yoda's talk to Ob1 at the end op TPM you'll see it has two parts: one where Yoda tells him he's a knight and that he sees great problems with Anakin in the future. The second bit is that the Council sees OB1 fit to train Anakin (thus promoting him to master as well) despite Yoda's disagreement.

Ushgarak
That's not the impression I got; it was simply that he was a Knight with a Padawan, which has become quite an accepted concept.

Blax_Hydralisk
Obi-Wan I'm pretty sure is also a Knight in AotC, so... meh. Wouldn't be the first time werd stuff happens though. Ki-Adi-Mundi was only a knight when he was put on the council.

As for my review of the movie, there isn't really anything I can say that hasn't been said already. I thought the movie was awesome (Liked it better then AotC and maybe RotJ), even with the rock/metal music in the background at one point. I liked Anakin's personality in this movie more then the other three, and I found Asouka to be adorable, which really sucks because it's inevitable that she is either going to die during the clone wars, live long enough to be killed by Vader or the 501st, or escape and be in hiding forever. So... with that knowledge in mind it's hard to get attached to any of the new characters.

I thought it was a great how Obi-Wan stomped all over Ventress' in their fight, talking shit the whole time and even fighting without his lighsaber, lol.

*shrug* As far as Star Wars goes I'd it a 5/5. As far as actual movies go... eh. 2-3/5. As far as a cartoon aimed at children. no expression A 4/5

Nactous
"What a piece of junk."

S_D_J
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Obi-Wan I'm pretty sure is also a Knight in AotC, so... meh. Wouldn't be the first time werd stuff happens though. Ki-Adi-Mundi was only a knight when he was put on the council.

As for my review of the movie, there isn't really anything I can say that hasn't been said already. I thought the movie was awesome (Liked it better then AotC and maybe RotJ), even with the rock/metal music in the background at one point. I liked Anakin's personality in this movie more then the other three, and I found Asouka to be adorable, which really sucks because it's inevitable that she is either going to die during the clone wars, live long enough to be killed by Vader or the 501st, or escape and be in hiding forever. So... with that knowledge in mind it's hard to get attached to any of the new characters.

I thought it was a great how Obi-Wan stomped all over Ventress' in their fight, talking shit the whole time and even fighting without his lighsaber, lol.

*shrug* As far as Star Wars goes I'd it a 5/5. As far as actual movies go... eh. 2-3/5. As far as a cartoon aimed at children. no expression A 4/5

thumb up 100% agreed

Nactous
I remember afterwards thinking, "I waited two years for this?"

Kapton JAC
NAC! eek!

Good to see you on the forum again.

It was a huge dissapointment. no I really hope the actual series is beter.

What is worse is that the first half was great but the end was just so bad. I mean I would love to watch the beginning again, but the end just killed it.

queeq
Originally posted by Ushgarak
That's not the impression I got; it was simply that he was a Knight with a Padawan, which has become quite an accepted concept.

I had to listen to Yoda's speech a few times before I got what he was on about. It's not really clear what a MAster is... I'd say it's someone with a certain status that also allows one to train padawans... But hey, what do I know.

Nactous
I know, I was there. And by there, I mean right next to you.

Nactous
It was all explained in the new visual guide, in order to become a master someone must train a padawan to knighthood.

Master Crimzon
I heard it got really crap reviews all around. Seriously, how did that happen? (I didn't watch it, yet, but you guys give it good reviews...)

Darth Martin
Difference btw your avg critic and hardcore fans.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
I heard it got really crap reviews all around. Seriously, how did that happen? (I didn't watch it, yet, but you guys give it good reviews...)

You'd have to either:

A) Be a hardcore Star Wars fan.

Or

B) Be under 12 years old,

to really enjoy the movie, methinks. 40-year old college professors, smart ass under 30 movie critics, and the old white men that dictate what earns an oscar and what doesn't, probably would not enjoy this movie.

queeq
Originally posted by Nactous
It was all explained in the new visual guide, in order to become a master someone must train a padawan to knighthood.

But OB1 was a master before Anakin became a knight.... or not?

Darth Subjekt

Blax_Hydralisk
The Guide to The phantom menace, or whatever, it''s laying around here somewhere, said that he was an official knight when he was on the council, maybe not for long, but he was.

Ushgarak
Sourced from inaccurate EU materiial- ignore that. ROTS makes it very clear that only Masters have ever been on the Council before.

-

Seen the film! Thought it was very good; it had some very snazzy action ideas. In the end it was just a string of action scenes and as it was lacking many new characters you are stuck with the problem that you cannot really kill anyone (like the end of ROTS- four people ligthsabre fighting, and you know that NONE of them die) it didn't really have an edge in tension but still, very happy.

Master Crimzon
You'd have to either:

A) Be a hardcore Star Wars fan.

Or

B) Be under 12 years old,

to really enjoy the movie, methinks. 40-year old college professors, smart ass under 30 movie critics, and the old white men that dictate what earns an oscar and what doesn't, probably would not enjoy this movie.

Yeah. Though, let's be honest- George Lucas never made a movie for the critics. Meh... I'm probably gonna watch it. But seeing as I'm not an uber hardcore SW fan, and I'm over 12 years old, I have a bad feeling about this.

Oh, and is the music as bad as everyone says? People say it sucks hard.

Kapton JAC
Sourced from inaccurate EU materiial- ignore that. ROTS makes it very clear that only Masters have ever been on the Council before.

Just face it the Star Wars story is full of contridictions, even if you look at it in the narrow view of the only the movies matter mind set.

On topic of Clone wars reviews:
The only thing worse than the last half of the Clone Wars movie was the collective works of Timothy Zahn.

on a positive note: Captain Rex is AWESOME! (Not talking about the moderator, though he's pretty cool too.)

Phucked Up
Originally posted by Kapton JAC
Just face it the Star Wars story is full of contridictions, even if you look at it in the narrow view of the only the movies matter mind set.

On topic of Clone wars reviews:
The only thing worse than the last half of the Clone Wars movie was the collective works of Timothy Zahn.

on a positive note: Captain Rex is AWESOME! (Not talking about the moderator, though he's pretty cool too.)

Timothy Zahn is the BEST EU writer. no expression

Kapton JAC
HA HA HA HE HE HE HO HO HO HO HA. And I thought MY jokes were bad.

but in case you are actually serious...

"Planet teardrop?"
"Luuke?"
"A giant smurf named Grand Admaral THRAWN."

yea... great stuff.

Oh did I mention the guy's a pompus Jerk too?

Kapton JAC
"OOH! I got an Idea. Let's clone a crappy Jedi General." - Timothy Zahn
and
"OMG! We should clone luke and make it a bad guy. We will call it Luuke" - Timothy Zahn.
"but Timothy Zahn, that's the same name." - Random guy
"no, no, no. It has 2 U's. IT's BRILIANT!" - Timothy Zahn.
and
"Hey, I got it. I'm gonna create a character, he will look like a smurf and his name will rhyme with thrawn. Then, I will bring him back from the dead innumerable times! IT'S BRILLIANT!" - Timothy Zahn

yea... great stuff.

Phucked Up
"OOH! I got an Idea. Let's clone a crappy Jedi General." - Timothy Zahn
and
"OMG! We should clone luke and make it a bad guy. We will call it Luuke" - Timothy Zahn.
"but Timothy Zahn, that's the same name." - Random guy
"no, no, no. It has 2 U's. IT's BRILIANT!" - Timothy Zahn.
and
"Hey, I got it. I'm gonna create a character, he will look like a smurf and his name will rhyme with thrawn. Then, I will bring him back from the dead innumerable times! IT'S BRILLIANT!" - Timothy Zahn

yea... great stuff.

I will admit that some things of his are tacky, but there is much worse in the Star Wars universe.

Kapton JAC
Yea, but what was tacky about it were the words he used and the way he put them together.

Timothy Zahn is the blight of the Star Wars Universe.

Phucked Up
Yea, but what was tacky about it were the words he used and the way he put them together.

Timothy Zahn is the blight of the Star Wars Universe.

Then who, pray you, is the best writer in the Star Wars universe?

Blax_Hydralisk
Probably Karen Traviss. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Or even worse that douche that wrote Boba Fett at the age of eight stalemating RotS Mace Windu. no expression

SnakeEyes
Haven't seen this yet, don't plan on wasting my money going to the theaters for it. To me it looks pretty bad; poor CGI, not enough of the actual voice actors, simple/irrelevant (when talking in terms of the saga's overall story) plot, etc.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, this REALLY seems to me like just a milking of the Star Wars franchise. George Lucas pretty much approves anything and he knows that people will go to see anything that has "Star Wars" in the title. I've been a huge Star Wars fan my whole life and this just seems like a waste to me. That said, I'm sure I'll see it someday, when it's out on DVD and maybe I can stifle my ill feelings for it and enjoy the action sequences. Probably not though, we'll see.

Outbound
You should watch a couple segments to see if you like it:
ZYB5pJRni5M

Almighty Bauer
What the hell happened to Obi Wan Kenobi's accent?

Ushgarak
Keep the books author discussion elsewhere, folks.

Oh, and saying tjhe cgi is poor in this film is just plain blind.

Captain REX
I will just say that Zahn is far from being a blight. Much worse has happened in the Expanded Universe. His Thrawn trilogy is, at least, enjoyable to read and not a horrible pain like NJO or LOTF.

Anyways.

Still need to see this, but I'm glad to see that the fans are enjoying it. There is the obvious problem of 'no threat to characters' as far as Kenobi and Skywalker are concerned... but we already knew their fates when we watched PT (having seen OT long before).

I hope there are some newer characters introduced in the series that we can actually be concerned for. Ahsoka is a start, but, as people have said, there are very few places she can end up.

S_D_J
One thing i did find puzzling though, was Yoda and ObiWan's dialogue about Ahsoka, something along the lines of "the hardest thing Anakin will have to face is to learn to let go of her"...makes me think, maybe Ahsoka is just a temporary trial, just another lesson...

Blax_Hydralisk
I think they were referring to the fact that Masters tend to grow an attachment to their Padawans, and as we've all seen, Anakin tends to have separation anxiety problems...

Peach
Just a bit.

Well, I certainly enjoyed the movie a lot; my little siblings absolutely loved it. It definitely was better than I was expecting.

I still don't like the CGI style, but it was certainly well-done, and I did like how they paired it with painted-looking backgrounds; made for some really neat visuals. I liked Ahsoka, she was definitely very funny, and I did not have an issue with her brief fight with Ventress - all she did was manage to keep from getting hit for like five seconds. I also did not have a problem with the music, though it was different from that of the regular movies (then again, so is EVERYTHING about this movie), and I really liked in particular the music during the Tatooine scenes.

Yes, it was a silly movie, but you know what? I was expecting worse and hoping that it wasn't going to be as bad as I originally thought. So I'm happy with it.

Also, my little sister is in love with Ahsoka. I think she wants to be her for Halloween now...

queeq
Cool.

I'll try to see it next week with my kids, it opens next week.

Ushgarak
It's very good for the kids actually.

Peach
Yeah, definitely.

Blax_Hydralisk
Except for the part where that clone get beheaded and blood flies everywhere.

I don't see how that can even be allowed in a PG movie.

.. ... haermm

Kapton JAC
Zero the hut made me respect Jar Jar Binks.

S_D_J
I found less violence in this movie than other PG films... but that's just the way I see it.

Stinky the Hutt haermm

crylaugh

Blax_Hydralisk

But seriously... what teh **** was up with that dude?

Sith Master X
Well I just got back from seeing it. Here's my review.

To say the least, there were parts of it I really enjoyed, and parts that I thought weren't very up to Star Wars standards, but for the most part the goods outweighed the bads.

To begin with, the animations were terrific. From the very opening shot of the ships flying through space, I had big smile on my face. However, I was dissapointed with the absence of a scroll, but I assumed there wouldn't be one anyway. The music was also very untraditional. Was it terrible? Not really, but it certainly wasn't John Williams quality either.
Jabba's son....that was very questionable. It served well for the film's main story, but the crying thing....just a bit too silly. But I didn't really let it get to me. It's Star Wars, and it's supposed to be silly.

Here's the thing with the Clone Wars though. Even though overall I liked the movie, I'm not sure that releasing it in the theaters was the best idea. When you think of Star Wars on the big screen, you think of the Fox 20th Century Fan Fare, the opening scroll, the John Williams music. The whole narration thing at the opening felt very awkward, but it's easy to forget about it and just move on. I think however, this would have made a fabulous friday night special on TV, the official kick off to the series. So it's not to say that the Clone Wars was bad, I just think it would have been even more enjoyable watching it at home.

The biggest major problem overall is that this film wasn't intended as a full length movie, and to be honest, it shows. It really felt like 3 shorts merged together which I assume they probably did. Not that it was bad or anything.

The good news is, this kicks off what could potentially be a very fun TV series later this fall.

Final verdict: Star Wars the Clone Wars isn't as rich as the live action prequels themsevles, but it wasn't a trainwreck either. I left the theater satisfied, and ready to see more later this year.

queeq
Good review, SMX!

S_D_J
I'm seeing again today, with my GF... let's see how it fares on a second viewing

queeq
Hope to read about it.

Sith Master X
Second viewings are normally 10 times better than the first.

Walking into a Star Wars movie for the second time, you now know what to expect, unlike the first time, when what you're seeing and what you thought you would see constantly clash and makes the movie seem less enjoyable.

I just think you can appreciate things more the second time around. You pick up on things you missed, you notice more details, and since you know what you're in for, you can just relax and have fun with it.

I had this very same problem with Attack of the Clones back in May of 2002. My expectations were sky high, and I felt a little dissapointed after I first saw the movie. It wasn't the movie that I had pictured in my head before it came out. But after I had enough time to absorb everything, I went back and saw it a 2nd and 3rd time. The second time I liked it alot more, and by the 3rd viewing, I fell in love with it.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Sith Master X

Walking into a Star Wars movie for the second time, you now know what to expect, unlike the first time, when what you're seeing and what you thought you would see constantly clash and makes the movie seem less enjoyable.

I just think you can appreciate things more the second time around. You pick up on things you missed, you notice more details, and since you know what you're in for, you can just relax and have fun with it.

I had this very same problem with Attack of the Clones back in May of 2002. My expectations were sky high, and I felt a little dissapointed after I first saw the movie. It wasn't the movie that I had pictured in my head before it came out. But after I had enough time to absorb everything, I went back and saw it a 2nd and 3rd time. The second time I liked it alot more, and by the 3rd viewing, I fell in love with it.

Exactly, that was just exactly how I felt.

I actually enjoyed it more than the first time.
When I saw it on Wednesday, It felt a bit awkward, like somethings felt out of place (the rock tunes for instance), but not this time.
I knew exactly what to look for, and when to ignore somethings. I didn't missed the scroll, the opening sequence felt more in place than it did the first time (like a tv-show). I just focused and enjoy all the action (and it's choke-full of it), completely ignore things that bothered me (I simply laughed at how silly Ziro is, and didn't mind him at all) and the rock music, it was no longer shocking (nor completely out of place, sounded like Metallica sampling John Williams tunes) and it doesn't last long, you barely hear it (twice), and for like 20 seconds.
so, yeah. It is much more enjoyable the second time around. No more expectations, just taking what's good and ignoring the rest.

Can't say the same for my girlfriend though. At first she didn't like the animation, though it was ok later. By the time they got to Tatooine she was completely bored, and kept asking me "is it over yet?" laughing
She told me it was ok, but didn't felt it was a movie. The biggest problem she had, and to my surprise, the reason she didn't like it, were:
-"wtf?, Jabba's baby?"
- "what the hell's up with that red girl, Anakin wasn't a master, why would he have a padawan?"
and then she said: "that Lucas dude only wanted to cash-in on this"

laughing

Darth Subjekt
But seriously... what teh **** was up with that dude? He sounded like a gay, cajun Joe Pesci, as I stated in another thread. laughing

queeq

AOTC just got worse everytime I saw it. Such a pointless film.

Darth Subjekt
Oh come on... everyone likes aggressive negotiations.

ESB -1138
I really enjoyed this movie. The battle droids made me laugh to the point my ribs started to hurt. "Open fire in sector 4173421!" "Fire in...sector 4...1...7..." "Just shoot right there!!"

Darth Subjekt
Yea, that's the kind of stuff that I DON'T like, but this was geared towards kids, so i can't complain too much. But if they do that in the live action series, I'm gonna be pissed.

queeq
Hehehe.

Ushgarak
That particular bit with the numbers might have been overdoing it a tad actually, but in general I've always enjoyed the slightly wacky nature of the battle droids- Star Wars has never been hardcore 100% angst death doom material, and that kind of slight oddball streak is part of the whole deal.

queeq
Who programmed that into them?

Anyway, 3PO had that too.

Darth Subjekt
Not to that extent though.

Blax_Hydralisk
Yeah... Droid's accidentally falling off cliffs and stuff is... strange.

And did anyone catch the bit where one of them yelled "Oh gooodd" before it died?

Never actually heard the word god in Star Wars before.

queeq
A droid???

Well, first review in Holland is out: tehy are not amused. They found te storyline messy (as usual, they added, comparing it to the PT) and the action boring after a while. Nice for 9-years olds they said, and perhap hardcore SW fans.

I especially loved this line: "Clone Wars is about Obi-Wan Kenobi and the ever grumpy Anakin Skywalker who try to make a deal with jabba the Hutt..."

The ever grumpy Anakin.... my feelings exactly! laughing out loud

Jovan
Originally posted by queeq
A droid???

Well, first review in Holland is out: tehy are not amused. They found te storyline messy (as usual, they added, comparing it to the PT) and the action boring after a while. Nice for 9-years olds they said, and perhap hardcore SW fans.

I especially loved this line: "Clone Wars is about Obi-Wan Kenobi and the ever grumpy Anakin Skywalker who try to make a deal with jabba the Hutt..."

The ever grumpy Anakin.... my feelings exactly! laughing out loud
I think they just stole that review and used it overhere too

queeq
laughing out loud

Then again, it's not quite an unavoidable characteristic.

Ushgarak
This guy agrees:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/5-second-movies/92-star-wars-episode-ii

(check out some of his other ones too...)

Outbound
Wonder if Sidious will use his saber in the cartoon or whether he only does it in the movie. I hope Quinlan Vos is in it dd

queeq
This guy agrees:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/5-second-movies/92-star-wars-episode-ii

(check out some of his other ones too...)

laughing

Ushgarak
His Episode III one is good as well.

Sith Master X
A droid???

Well, first review in Holland is out: tehy are not amused. They found te storyline messy (as usual, they added, comparing it to the PT)

If anyone is comparing this movie to the PT, that's just sad.... sad

This movie was never meant to be a movie, and really shouldn't be considered the 7th Star Wars installment or compared to the PT or OT and garbage like that. It furthermore was just an intro to something larger, a preview to a series, rather than a movie.

That's what I hate the most about film critics these days. They haven't the slightest clue as to what they are talking about.

The only thing I can really suggest is to see it yourself. There's nothing like drawing your own conclusions. But I can guarantee you, if someone walks into the theater ready to compare this movie against the others, than they're in for a dissapointment. But if you look at it as a stand alone preview to an upcoming series, there's room for appreciation.

DeVi| D0do
****ing loved this tbh. After reading several scathing reviews I was so ready to completly hate it. But was instead very pleasantly surprised. Hardly worth the entry fee but I can't wait for the series... This should play great on the small screen.

The film confirms a few important things:

1. George Lucas has the writing chops of a five year old. The dialogue is truly godawful - but what do you expect from a) a Star Wars film, and b) a kids flick.

2. Star Wars can survive without John Williams.

3. Lucas is giving the franchise a lot more freedom and perhaps opening it up to other film makers. Meaning my live action KOTOR film can't be too far away!

Only one complaint besides the writing: Jabba's flamboyant transexual uncle. What. The. ****.

queeq
If anyone is comparing this movie to the PT, that's just sad.... sad

This movie was never meant to be a movie, and really shouldn't be considered the 7th Star Wars installment or compared to the PT or OT and garbage like that. It furthermore was just an intro to something larger, a preview to a series, rather than a movie.

That's what I hate the most about film critics these days. They haven't the slightest clue as to what they are talking about.

The only thing I can really suggest is to see it yourself. There's nothing like drawing your own conclusions. But I can guarantee you, if someone walks into the theater ready to compare this movie against the others, than they're in for a dissapointment. But if you look at it as a stand alone preview to an upcoming series, there's room for appreciation.

On the other hand, critics just view it as it's presented to them. They don't need to be total inside SW junkies to say how they feel about it. Maybe that does make them more objective. On the other hand, they see so much, they get quite sour.

Ushgarak
GL didn't actually write the dialogue this time, btw.

queeq
Not that you'd notice. laughing out loud

Robtard
Took my kid to see it, was entertaining in a childish fashion. Though I don't see how it fits in between Ep. 2-3, seems like they threw what was previously laid out and went with a story that would appeal to the younger crowd.

I did enjoy the Jedi duels, as animation allows a better range of what Jedi could potentially do with their powers.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Robtard
Took my kid to see it, was entertaining in a childish fashion. Though I don't see how it fits in between Ep. 2-3,

Clone Wars........nuff said.

DeVi| D0do
GL didn't actually write the dialogue this time, btw.
Wow, could have fooled me... he's obviously had some influence on some poor people.

Really don't see why they couldn't have hired some decent writers... at least for the film/pilot. Would have made rewatchability not completely inconceivable.

Kazenji
This is off IMDB

Writing credits
(in alphabetical order)
Henry Gilroy screenplay
George Lucas characters and universe
George Lucas story
Steven Melching screenplay
Scott Murphy screenplay

queeq
Saw it with my kids today. Enjoyable, but I considered it really as something additional. I doubt you get it when you don't know the movies. Simple, enjoyable, although personally I felt it was getting a tad boring by the time Anakin and Ahsoka fly back to Tatooine.

Anyway, enetertaining enough. Animation looked nice, but not something for a non-SW audience.

Few things I did find a bit annoying:
1. The SW universe seems to be getting smaller: everyone keeps meeting everyone.
2. Skywalkers are getting close to being house friends to the Hutts. They just pop in there every so many years
3. The limited vocabulary in the SW universe: bucket of bolts seems to be the only pharse to describe an old ship, and Sith people have a tendency to always use one line: : Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen. Sounds like a mantra or something by now.
4. Lots of repetitions in the lines and explaining what was going on. Was that with episodes and commercials breaks in mind or something????
5. A transvestite Hutt???? Now I've seen everything.

Master Crimzon
How would you rank in relevance to the other movies?

queeq
Relevance? None, really. It ranks about the same as the previous animated Clone Wars series. Unfortunately it does get a bit repetitious.... so far.

Outbound
Just finished my second viewing, its much better the second time around. All the silly stuff like Ziro's image/voice just glides past (although if you hate him, you hate him, I guess..) and you can just zone out and watch the lightsabers and lasers flying around without paying much attention. Scrap my first post about the music/Ashoka cause they dont even matter anymore. I can easily watch this over and over on DVD when theres nothing good on tv. I love it.

queeq
I liked the music actually.

Outbound
I like it now too, but it was unexpected on the first viewing and a bit off putting.

Captain REX
I actually didn't catch it the first time around, even while keeping it in mind from your review.

queeq
It had some very good bits to it. It's a bit more television style, but very pleasant. I think I'm gonna get me the CD.

Darth Subjekt
5. A transvestite Hutt???? Now I've seen everything. I told you it sounded like a gay cajun Joe Pesci, lol. I wasn't kidding.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by Outbound
I like it now too, but it was unexpected on the first viewing and a bit off putting.

I haven't seen the movie again yet, but I have been listening to the soundtrack on youtube, and I've got to admit, the music is really growing on me.

Tangible God
I remember afterwards thinking, "I waited two years for this?"

queeq
Why waiting??? SW is over, all we get is additional scraps.

Ushgarak
Good Lord, Tangible, of all the people to quote to try and reflect your own opinion... Nac just likes to ride things down trying to sound cool and dejected about it, in which he fails, but I cannot believe someone would just COPY him...

queeq
laughing out loud

Lord Knightfa11
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/smilies/laugh.gif

DeVi| D0do
laughing out loud

Lord Knightfa11
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/smilies/laugh.gif

Nactous
laughing out loud

Nactous
Oh wait... sad

Nactous
Good Lord, Tangible, of all the people to quote to try and reflect your own opinion... Nac just likes to ride things down trying to sound cool and dejected about it, in which he fails, but I cannot believe someone would just COPY him...

I dont ride things down, I stood behind this from the beginning. I take offense kind sir. Besides, dont you have some EU bashing to do.

roughrider
I had to listen to Yoda's speech a few times before I got what he was on about. It's not really clear what a MAster is... I'd say it's someone with a certain status that also allows one to train padawans... But hey, what do I know.

The term 'Master' is used too loosely sometimes. Once you are made a Knight, you are thereby qualified to train a Jedi apprentice - just like in say, karate; achieving black belt makes you qualified to teach others. Beyond black belt is the degrees of red to attain.
It seems once you are elected to the rank of Master, you are eligible to sit on the Jedi Council if appointed or chosen. I remember Qui-Gon Jinn being offhand referred to as a Master Jedi, but he didn't sit on the Council due to his maverick streak in following a different code than what the Council wanted. And remember how Anakin was upset when he got elected to the Council (due to wartime pressures) but wasn't given the rank of Master - it seemed like a backhand rebuke.

Anyway, The Clone Wars movie - not the best start. And I watched it with lowered expectations.
A lot of the elements are in place - the animation is quite good, and wasn't expecting the characters to emote as fluidly as a Pixar or Dreamworks film. It's just the storytelling was often clunky instead of sharp, and the attempts at wit mostly fell flat. Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series is way ahead so far.

queeq
I agree.

I dont ride things down, I stood behind this from the beginning. I take offense kind sir. Besides, dont you have some EU bashing to do.

laughing out loud

Nactous
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Tangible God
Good Lord, Tangible, of all the people to quote to try and reflect your own opinion... Nac just likes to ride things down trying to sound cool and dejected about it, in which he fails, but I cannot believe someone would just COPY him... I did have to take a shower afterwards.

queeq
Use extra soap.

Nactous
Originally posted by Tangible God
I did have to take a shower afterwards.

Scale of 1-10, how bad did you think it was?

Nactous
Use extra soap.

Could we please get back on topic here.

Nactous
laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

queeq
laughing out loud

Nactous
laughing out loud laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
I hated the waste.
The chosen style of character design vs the rendering it is in,
the bad, bad, baaaadddd voice acting/casting on Palpatine and Anakin...
The laughing-stock-for-all-the-wrong-reasons battle droids.
(who dont actually have to convey loads of braindead two year old dialogue every three seconds to be funny or to convey their general ineffectiveness, but still take that all the way, becoming decidedly Binksian)

The depthless plot, the generic rookie and master 'mismatch', the lowering of the Star Wars universe with babyish names like Stinky and other issues well summed up by Queeq with the "everybody knowing everybody" thing getting realllll thin..

And the scoring wasn't so great. Alright, but I guess the action it backed up reflected its generic infant's level TV show feel well.
No sir I didn't like it...well not as much as the hype made it out to be, and from the coolness of the first animated seasons/volumes.

Liked the B-Wing though.

Kazenji
What hype, there was hardly any for this star wars movie.

Sadako of Girth
The hype of fan expectation for the last couple of years that this has been coming.
(Not to be confused with mainstream media hype, of which as you rightly note: Has been minimal)

queeq
Thanks for the review, SoG.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
The hype of fan expectation for the last couple of years that this has been coming.
(Not to be confused with mainstream media hype, of which as you rightly note: Has been minimal)

Hardly convinced there either. We only heard there was a movie coming some months ago and frankly no-one knew what to expect.

queeq
THere were some clips showing what'd look like... But yeah, pretty low key.

Sadako of Girth
Hardly convinced there either. We only heard there was a movie coming some months ago and frankly no-one knew what to expect.

Fair play, you may have. But as I reported in 2005, when I met Daniel Logan at a local signing post ROTS, he told us of the clone wars series planned and that the live action series was coming and that he would be reprising his Fett Role..
(Im sure Queeq'll remember me saying back then)
He also said the pics of him online in the Fett gear were both for a proposed ROTS scene that never happened and also as an inadvertant tester with future live action projects in mind.
Id been waiting from then.

Now I cant as a mere punter at a signing have been the only one he told. So the new CW is hardly news. And every starwars head I know IRL knew about it...not just from me, as time went on.
So what cave've you been in Ush...? stick out tongue

Seriously though, true about the more recent movie format decision but a series was definitely expected, safely set between Eps 2 and 3, presumably involving characters seen in Star Wars and the previous animated CW series.....

Finally, irrespective of any sources of anticipation of the end product,
what was unleashed at us, I still feel still fell below what I'd have expected from a SW feature release.. and im not alone.

Also, even though the officially released pics were slim before the movie came out, remember how apeshit some went over any little pic that came out prior to ROTS...? Anticipation isn't linked to the output of the PR machine always.

And no worries Queeq, thanks for giving it space here.. smile

queeq
Space? The final frontier?

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Fair play, you may have. But as I reported in 2005, when I met Daniel Logan at a local signing post ROTS, he told us of the clone wars series planned and that the live action series was coming and that he would be reprising his Fett Role..
(Im sure Queeq'll remember me saying back then)
He also said the pics of him online in the Fett gear were both for a proposed ROTS scene that never happened and also as an inadvertant tester with future live action projects in mind.
Id been waiting from then.

Now I cant as a mere punter at a signing have been the only one he told. So the new CW is hardly news. And every starwars head I know IRL knew about it...not just from me, as time went on.
So what cave've you been in Ush...? stick out tongue

Seriously though, true about the more recent movie format decision but a series was definitely expected, safely set between Eps 2 and 3, presumably involving characters seen in Star Wars and the previous animated CW series.....

Finally, irrespective of any sources of anticipation of the end product,
what was unleashed at us, I still feel still fell below what I'd have expected from a SW feature release.. and im not alone.

Also, even though the officially released pics were slim before the movie came out, remember how apeshit some went over any little pic that came out prior to ROTS...? Anticipation isn't linked to the output of the PR machine always.

And no worries Queeq, thanks for giving it space here.. smile

Hmm, sorry, but no- you just have to look to the relative paucity of posting in this place as an example.

There was NO hype here at all. Really none, neither official nor fan based. It was very quiet.

Sadako of Girth
I dont care how many knew or not..

It was the degree of expectation from those that did know, that I count here..

After thinking further I do concede that Hype may have been too loose a descriptive though.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
liked the music.

movie was for kids, quite obviously. it was good... thought anakin's char. had a bit more char. dev for anakin.... just a tad bit- not so whiny(well, imho), and him and Snips made quite a good team. what happened to ahsoka after all this, btw?

liked it over-all... not the star wars i'm used to(i mean, compared to the other eps) but its CERTAINLY better than lame attempt on TPM.

twas awesome. loved it.

Sadako of Girth
Space? The final frontier?

A creepy physical concept, that, the front ear....

queeq
It hurts too.

Sadako of Girth
Especially with longitudinally delivered nagging. Cant just turn your head away anymore.

queeq
Then the back ear hears it all.

Nactous
This time, the merchandise wasn't made for the movie, the movie was made to be merchandised.

Nactous

The trailer was shown more than a year ago, and the movie was announced in January.

Nactous
Or was it december?

Ushgarak
The trasiler was for the series and the movie was announced in February.

queeq
There ya go.

Nactous
The trasiler was for the series and the movie was announced in February.

Nope, wrong again, Hasbro announced that Star Wars was returning to theaters 8/8/08 at one of there shareholding meeting back in early January/late December. Lucasfilm didn't want them to have the press, so they pushed it back a week.

I can find the link to the sound bit if you like?

Nactous
My apologies, it was back in November!

http://www.mania.com/upcoming-clone-wars-may-hit-theaters_article_56658.html

Kapton JAC
Can't argue with that

queeq
Nope

Ushgarak
My apologies, it was back in November!

http://www.mania.com/upcoming-clone-wars-may-hit-theaters_article_56658.html

Can you guys not read?

That was pure speculation.

The movie was announced in February. We even have the official announcement linked to in opening post of the thread commenting on that in this very area!

Honestly guys... "can't argue with"... pathetic.

queeq
Hehehe... Who wants to argue with that?

vintageSW77
If i was a 10 yr old kid id have liked it for what it was and now be at ToysRus no doubt nagging for the shit loads of merch ive seen all over.
But im not 10 any more and im obv not the target audience for this so ill have to admit to myself "im too old for this shit".
I just didnt like it...gimme the Robot Chicken special over this any day.
All the negative things about this kid flick have been said already.
I have nothing new to offer other than what i saw yesterday added further evidence that Star Wars truly ended in 1983.

Nactous
Can you guys not read?

The movie was announced in February. We even have the official announcement linked to in opening post of the thread commenting on that in this very area!

Specualtion my ass! Hasbro confirmed it was coming back to theatres, I can get the guys at theForce-Cast to give you the pod-cast if you want!

Nactous
Bottom line, if you were a Hardcore fan you knew it was coming.

Nactous
Can you guys not read?

Can you not read?
Heres the quote if you have to see it twice for it to sink in...

"The Force.net reported that Hasbro announced at the Fall 2007 Analyst Event that the upcoming STAR WARS:CLONE WARS animated TV series will premiere in theaters on August 8, 2008."

Like I said, the hardcore knew and have known for a long, long time.

Ushgarak
Good Lord, you ARE stupid! Go read it again, it was immediately denied by Lucasfilm and just called speculation. There was no decision made at that time. It says this in the article you linked to, if you can be bothered to read it!

Again. Official announcement was not until February. Speculation means nothing, and it might very well have not happened.

If you are going to link something, have the courtesy to read it properly yourself first.

Kapton JAC
"Right after this news hit the wires, Lucasfilm was quick to clarify the announcement from Hasbro, telling the site that no decision has been made.

"I'd like to clarify Hasbro comments this AM about the Clone Wars TV series," Lucasfilm said. "We see it as a breakthrough animated television series and are exploring a number of innovative ways to introduce it to the public. No decisions regarding release strategy have been made yet."

This kind of stuff happens all the time: One company releases too much and another has to cover it up. No, it wasn't OFFICIAL, but it was released.

Ushgarak
It wasn't even decided. They didn't decide it until February. It was all speculation until then.

As if Hasbro had anything to do with the decision!

Mizukage Yoda
A good movie; nothing over the top, not an exceptional movie but put me in the mood for the series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN5tCZMig8M&fmt=18
new trailer includes a sneak peak at Plo Koon's voice actor

Kapton JAC
It wasn't even decided. They didn't decide it until February. It was all speculation until then.

As if Hasbro had anything to do with the decision!

Foolish Naievety

The only reason Lucasfilm denied it is because they didn't want the info released yet, not that they hadn't decided, but they didn't want us to know yet. It wasn't time.

It is a common buisness practice: only release information when you have something to show, even if you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

However, you allow a company that is making the toys to know enough to be able to begin models and such and you have an opening for leaks

Nactous
Good Lord, you ARE stupid! Go read it again, it was immediately denied by Lucasfilm and just called speculation. There was no decision made at that time. It says this in the article you linked to, if you can be bothered to read it!

Again. Official announcement was not until February. Speculation means nothing, and it might very well have not happened.

If you are going to link something, have the courtesy to read it properly yourself first.

Lucasfilm had their thunder stolen, of course their going to deny it and push back the release date. Bottom line, they still announced that there was a movie on its way. You simply cant argue that fact...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>