The Church and Fascism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pyron_Knight
In the past, fascist governments have appealed to, if not the Catholic Church directly, then those of the Catholic faith.
The most obvious example is of course Mussolini but I believe the Brazilian Integralists and Portugal's Estado Novo pandered to Catholics in their country.

So, why is this? Just political convenience?

lil bitchiness
Vatican supported Nazis - and particulary Ustasha regime in Croatia.

Why? I don't know. Bigger influence? Psychotic nazi racist Pope at the time? Bad judgement...could be any of these.

inimalist
Why do authoritarians in the Middle East look to the Mosque to justify their power?

If a large portion of the population believes in a mythology that a leader can exploit, they will. This is not only fascism, the fear of "haji" terrorists in America, exploited by the government, certainly helps them retain power.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Vatican supported Nazis - and particulary Ustasha regime in Croatia.

Why? I don't know. Bigger influence? Psychotic nazi racist Pope at the time? Bad judgement...could be any of these.

It wasn't quite as straightforward as that.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
It wasn't quite as straightforward as that.

It never is...

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It never is...

No, but people seem to think when your the head of the Worlds largest Church and have a congregation to try and protect- you can act with little caution and/or discretion.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
No, but people seem to think when your the head of the Worlds largest Church and have a congregation to try and protect- you can act with little caution and/or discretion.

That would be true if the pope did not have a direct link to a all powerful god. That raises the bar. As it is now, they act like they are human with no divine interaction. In other words, they make mistakes.

lord xyz
Originally posted by inimalist
Why do authoritarians in the Middle East look to the Mosque to justify their power?

If a large portion of the population believes in a mythology that a leader can exploit, they will. This is not only fascism, the fear of "haji" terrorists in America, exploited by the government, certainly helps them retain power. Because religion is slavery of the mind.

Spirituality is used to decide what's right and wrong. Those who believe that a certain religion is right, will live within that mindset and see that anything to do with that religion must be right. They believe that because they also believe those who are telling us this are more spiritual than we are, and that accepting this whether understood or not will give us a reward, rather than a punishment.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lord xyz
Because religion is slavery of the mind.

Spirituality is used to decide what's right and wrong. Those who believe that a certain religion is right, will live within that mindset and see that anything to do with that religion must be right. They believe that because they also believe those who are telling us this are more spiritual than we are, and that accepting this whether understood or not will give us a reward, rather than a punishment.

That is not true with all religions.

Grand-Moff-Gav
That would be true if the pope did not have a direct link to a all powerful god. That raises the bar. As it is now, they act like they are human with no divine interaction. In other words, they make mistakes.

The Pope can speak with the authority of God all he wants- doesn't mean he can impose God's will onto Hitler.

lord xyz
That is not true with all religions. You gonna say your branch of Buddhism is different?

Grand-Moff-Gav
You gonna say your branch of Buddhism is different?

How are you able to be so independently minded?

lord xyz
How are you able to be so independently minded? As an Aquarius, I seek knowledge by nature.

Nah, I'm just ****ing with ya, I'm very skeptical.

Grand-Moff-Gav
As an Aquarius, I seek knowledge by nature.

Nah, I'm just ****ing with ya, I'm very skeptical.

Oh...and the Skeptics are by definition free from the mind-control of the rest of society.

inimalist
Because religion is slavery of the mind.

any ideology is mental slavery, religion is not special in this regard.

Spirituality is used to decide what's right and wrong. Those who believe that a certain religion is right, will live within that mindset and see that anything to do with that religion must be right.

how does this differ from ethical values of those who are not religious.

I am a very firm believer in equality, live with that mindset and believe things done equally are right...

are you arguing for moral relativism?

They believe that because they also believe those who are telling us this are more spiritual than we are, and that accepting this whether understood or not will give us a reward, rather than a punishment.

this would assume that you don't believe anything that an authority in any field tells you. This would mean that, should you believe in quantum mechanics, that you are personally familiar with things like entanglement, as you are not taking the word of the more "educated" just telling you what to believe with regards to quantum physics.

lord xyz
Oh...and the Skeptics are by definition free from the mind-control of the rest of society. Skeptics are people who doubt what they are told, until there is evidence and are no contradictions to what they have already accepted as truth.

Skepticism is in a sense a rebellion from the norm, the myth, the mind control of the rest of society, so yeah.

Grand-Moff-Gav
No it isnt...

lord xyz
geotics: questioning the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual

rebelling against a myth seems pretty synonymous.

Grand-Moff-Gav
geotics: questioning the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual

rebelling against a myth seems pretty synonymous.

That doesn't mean you a free from the mind controlling Freemasons that dominate the rest of us...hell they even have a nice little definition for you to cling to...

Im a Catholic, your a Skeptic...how ironic.

inimalist
geotics? where is this word from?

EDIT: poorly worded

lord xyz
That doesn't mean you a free from the mind controlling Freemasons that dominate the rest of us...hell they even have a nice little definition for you to cling to...

Im a Catholic, your a Skeptic...how ironic. To be fair, I am limited to my rights. I don't live by myself, look after myself, mostly beause I don't know how.

However, I will try to bring down this system of control and seperatism etc.

I have aspirations to be a politician, and aspirations to be known across the world, but not as another David Icke or Alex Jokes. Not like them.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Like...a Boris Johnson or a Nick Clegg?

lord xyz
Like...a Boris Johnson or a Nick Clegg? Not Boris Johnson.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Not Boris Johnson.

a George Galloway?

Symmetric Chaos
Skeptics are people who doubt what they are told, until there is evidence and are no contradictions to what they have already accepted as truth.

Skepticism is in a sense a rebellion from the norm, the myth, the mind control of the rest of society, so yeah.

So basically you choose to enslave yourself to something else.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.