Next Batman Villian??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

XornonJay
I'm a huge fan of comic books, and as the new batman movie has stirred up much crazyness, i began to look back on my old books, and realized there are SOOOOO many possible villians.
For those who think that a 3rd is not probable, Michael Cane, Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, and Gary Oldman are all said to have signed a contract for 3 movies while the first was being filmed.
Now, to start the discussion; though it would make TONS of people upset, they could recast the joker (jonny depp would probably be the best seeing as he has some of the same characteristics and looks like Heath); they didn't kill the joker off in the movie, and he and batman are arch-enemies for practically all of Bruce Waynes/Batmans life.
However, if you have seen the movie, you may remember when Batman gets his new armor, and Morgan Freeman says that the armor would do well against cats. Is this an inuendoe(sp??) torwards cat woman?
I think it would be a little dumb, seeing as she was in th original batman movies, and there is a side movie for her already.
And; there are many other villians out there, that follow the motif of these new movies; dark and sinister: like Dr. Strange...

What do some of you think??

Myth
Dr. Strange? Isn't he Marvel?

And why couldn't this fit in the other thread/s about the next villain?

Mairuzu
Maybe you should.... visit the batman forum

BruceSkywalker
There are a few thread like this in the Batman forum..

Go there. Its a great area to be in.

Da Joker
This needs to be moved to the Bat forum.

Dark-Jaxx
Indeed.

Although it was hinted that Riddler was a good possibility. Other than that, we do not know.

Da Joker
I'd like to see either the Riddler or Mr. Freeze.

Robtard
Considering it's about a Batman movie, shouldn't it really be in the movie forum?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Robtard
Considering it's about a Batman movie, shouldn't it really be in the movie forum?

Nah, it would make more sense in the Batman forum. As that is about the Batman movie as well as the comics.

Neo Darkhalen
Riddler.

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by XornonJay
I'm a huge fan of comic books, and as the new batman movie has stirred up much crazyness, i began to look back on my old books, and realized there are SOOOOO many possible villians.
For those who think that a 3rd is not probable, Michael Cane, Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, and Gary Oldman are all said to have signed a contract for 3 movies while the first was being filmed.
Now, to start the discussion; though it would make TONS of people upset, they could recast the joker (jonny depp would probably be the best seeing as he has some of the same characteristics and looks like Heath); they didn't kill the joker off in the movie, and he and batman are arch-enemies for practically all of Bruce Waynes/Batmans life.
However, if you have seen the movie, you may remember when Batman gets his new armor, and Morgan Freeman says that the armor would do well against cats. Is this an inuendoe(sp??) torwards cat woman?
I think it would be a little dumb, seeing as she was in th original batman movies, and there is a side movie for her already.
And; there are many other villians out there, that follow the motif of these new movies; dark and sinister: like Dr. Strange...

What do some of you think??

Wolverine would be good a good Batman Villain!!

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Wolverine would be good a good Batman Villain!!

And Dr. Strange apparently. haermm

Myth
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
And Dr. Strange apparently. haermm

I believe that is what Nuul was teasing the OP about.

Almighty Bauer
Originally posted by Myth
Dr. Strange? Isn't he Marvel?

And why couldn't this fit in the other thread/s about the next villain?
Yes, but there is also a Batman villain named Dr Hugo Strange, who predated Marvel's character. He was a scientist-y guy and, I believe, worked out Bruce Wayne was Batman. A decent character, not sure about the idea of his serum to make people become giant monsters, but hey...
I recommend reading Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men.
And Neo, check your facts before you mock other posters. He clearly knows more about Batman than you do... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Almighty Bauer
Yes, but there is also a Batman villain named Dr Hugo Strange, who predated Marvel's character. He was a scientist-y guy and, I believe, worked out Bruce Wayne was Batman. A decent character, not sure about the idea of his serum to make people become giant monsters, but hey...
I recommend reading Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men.
And Neo, check your facts before you mock other posters. He clearly knows more about Batman than you do... roll eyes (sarcastic)

stick out tongue

he said Wolvernine as one choice i think it's safe to say people believed it was Dr. Strange (Marvel)

I remember Dr. Hugo Strange yes, although i have never read any tales with him in it, i have seen him in the batman and the Batman TAS....however one must not be quick to judge ones source unless the thread starter confirms your beliefs. roll eyes (sarcastic)

That and it was a joke...must people take everything seriously stick out tongue

Bardamu
Dr Hugo Strange would be interesting, especially if he acts according to the Batman story, "Prey".

Almighty Bauer
stick out tongue

he said Wolvernine as one choice i think it's safe to say people believed it was Dr. Strange (Marvel)

I remember Dr. Hugo Strange yes, although i have never read any tales with him in it, i have seen him in the batman and the Batman TAS....however one must not be quick to judge ones source unless the thread starter confirms your beliefs. roll eyes (sarcastic)

That and it was a joke.
Oh, of course. Clearly, you thought that. It wasn't much of a joke. Evidently, you were taking the piss out of him. And surely anyone with relatively good knowledge of Batman would know that he referred to DC's Dr. Strange...
Try thinking (maybe, please) before posting such crap.

Neo Darkhalen
Oh, of course. Clearly, you thought that. It wasn't much of a joke. Evidently, you were taking the piss out of him. And surely anyone with relatively good knowledge of Batman would know that he referred to DC's Dr. Strange...
Try thinking (maybe, please) before posting such crap.

Fair enough, i apologise.

fascistcrusader
I'd like to see Riddler and the Penguin. Nolan seems like the type to actually give us a comic book like Penguin instead of a deformed Danny Devito, and It would nice to see the Riddler on screen for once, instead of Jim Carry in a question mark covered outfit.

iraiam
Yes Dr. Strange is Marvel maybe thinking of Hugo Strange? A Batman foe from a long time ago, I don't think I have actually seen him in a comic book that I have personally read.

Scarecrow is still on the loose.

Since the Joker survived in the Dark Knight, maybe a Joker/Harley Quinn Duo? I would like to this in some form. maybe as Dr. Harleen Quinzel studying Joker in jail? breaks him out towards the end? maybe as a sub plot?

Clayface I don't think really fits this new series of movies.

Possibly Bane? Injured Batman in the comics forcing him to take time off to recover.

Two Face was killed (unfortunately) He was always one of my favorite Batman Foes.

Neo Darkhalen
Anyway i hope the riddler is the next foe in the Batman franchise, i think he slots in well with Nolan's universe, and even if he was not a full fledged villain he would work well as a Private detective hired by the cops to track down Batman; reveal his secret identity.

BruceSkywalker
Anyway i hope the riddler is the next foe in the Batman franchise, i think he slots in well with Nolan's universe, and even if he was not a full fledged villain he would work well as a Private detective hired by the cops to track down Batman; reveal his secret identity.

The Riddler would make a good villain, but I don't want him to learn that Bruce Wayne and Batman are one and the same.

Almighty Bauer
I agree with the private detective idea. Mr Shindiggery suggested that a while ago and I thought it was awesome. The character worked so well in that role in Dini's Detective Comics, and I would love to see Nygma portrayed like that in the comics. It would tie in so well with the ending of TDK as well...

XornonJay
Well.....to answer the two questions thrown at me......1: I posted this here instead of the batman thread, b/c, unlike general batman fans, comic book readers usually are much smarter and know much more about the actual story behind the different batman universes (ie, the dark knight vs. the happy-go-lucky crime fighter)
2: I was referencing Dr. Hugo Strange, not the marvel character.

anywho, i agree with the lot of you that the riddler would be a great bad guy. Jim Carrey was great, but he really wasn't playing a character, just acting like himself (as someone mentioned a few posts back).

Myth
Well.....to answer the two questions thrown at me......1: I posted this here instead of the batman thread, b/c, unlike general batman fans, comic book readers usually are much smarter and know much more about the actual story behind the different batman universes (ie, the dark knight vs. the happy-go-lucky crime fighter)

That doesn't make sense. You posted this in another forum because they would be "much smarter and know much more about the actual story behind the different batman universes" than the people in the Batman forum?

Toku King
Scarface and the Ventriloquist would be great if done just right. "The Batman" had him done perfectly in "A Fistful Of Pelt". Something along those lines.

Neo Darkhalen
I liked the batman version of Scarface.

XornonJay
myth, am i wrong in saying this is the batman comic book forum? am i also wrong in saying that most of the people in the general batman forum have most of their knowledge from the movies, and maybe a couple of books? I came here because I figured that anyone who was looking at this forum, in the comic book section, would have read more batman comics then the common person, and therefore be more knowledgable about villians and the like.
Everyone knows about the riddler and penguin and catwoman. only people who had read deeper into batman would know The Ventriloquist or Hugo Strange. Shoot, if you had asked the typical, generic batman fan who Raz Algul was, before Batman Begins came out, i'm sure not many would know.

Myth
It just seems to me that it would make most sense to put a Batman thread in the Batman forum rather than in the general Comic Book Section.

Almighty Bauer
myth, am i wrong in saying this is the batman comic book forum? am i also wrong in saying that most of the people in the general batman forum have most of their knowledge from the movies, and maybe a couple of books? I came here because I figured that anyone who was looking at this forum, in the comic book section, would have read more batman comics then the common person, and therefore be more knowledgable about villians and the like.
Everyone knows about the riddler and penguin and catwoman. only people who had read deeper into batman would know The Ventriloquist or Hugo Strange. Shoot, if you had asked the typical, generic batman fan who Raz Algul was, before Batman Begins came out, i'm sure not many would know.
Erm... gee, thanks for the sweeping generalisation. I go to the Batman forum, which, oddly, is in the comic section anyway, and I read Batman comics. Funny that... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Kapton JAC
Personally, I think that Zsasz would make an interesting enemy for the movies. I mean, I understand that he had a cameo in Batman Begins, but I think it'd be cool if they actually brought him into a larger role.

Almighty Bauer
Originally posted by Kapton JAC
Personally, I think that Zsasz would make an interesting enemy for the movies. I mean, I understand that he had a cameo in Batman Begins, but I think it'd be cool if they actually brought him into a larger role.
It'd be cool if he had a slightly larger role in Batman 3, maybe being taken down at the start (a la Scarecrow) after a committing several murders. But I doubt he'd have a major role after clearly being little more than a thug with a knife in Batman Begins...

XornonJay
..........i feel like a crazy person.......is this not the batman comic book forum........thats what it says on my screen

Almighty Bauer
..........i feel like a crazy person.......is this not the batman comic book forum........thats what it says on my screen
Yes... it's the only Batman forum. And I'm pretty sure you're sane, just mildly pompous. But that's not a crime (I'm no hypocrite, at least I'm not being hypocritical right now).

Myth
I can't even remember anymore, but wasn't this originally posted in the "Movie Discussion" forum? Or was it in the "Comic Books" forum?

SelinaAndBruce
I want Riddler or Hush. I really like Hush.

Almighty Bauer
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I want Riddler or Hush. I really like Hush.
I don't want Hush. He's too recent, and bandages would look pretty silly. Not to mention, Bruce never mentioned Tommy Elliott. Also, if Bruce's Dad saved Tommy's mother, then Hush would have been a murderer at the age of... 7? Not likely, methinks.

Bat Dude
The Reaper...

'Nuff said...

Toku King
Originally posted by Bat Dude
The Reaper...

'Nuff said...

Yup, I change my vote.
Reaper for me!

Almighty Bauer
I just re-read Year Two and Full Circle actually, and I thought the story had some real flaws, the Reaper was incredibly awesome. Maybe a bit of explanation or adaptation would be required as it may seem somewhat "unrealistic" for an OAP to be kicking the crap out of Batman...
Also, I think that maybe it should be made clear that the Reaper was even more of an urban legend than Batman. I think it would lessen Batman's impact of another very well-known vigilante had existed...

SelinaAndBruce
I don't want Hush. He's too recent, and bandages would look pretty silly. Not to mention, Bruce never mentioned Tommy Elliott. Also, if Bruce's Dad saved Tommy's mother, then Hush would have been a murderer at the age of... 7? Not likely, methinks.
It's not like Nolan hasn't messed around with origins and looks here and there so those things can be remedied. I just like the idea of an old friend coming back and ****ing with Bruce/Bats I guess. I know it's probably not feasible which is why I say the riddler but I love the Hush series I just wish it could be a film.

Almighty Bauer
It's not like Nolan hasn't messed around with origins and looks here and there so those things can be remedied. I just like the idea of an old friend coming back and ****ing with Bruce/Bats I guess. I know it's probably not feasible which is why I say the riddler but I love the Hush series I just wish it could be a film.
Hush (the series) was fairly good, but Jim Lee really made a decent story into a brilliant comic; his art is just so brilliant.
But, while I'd quite like to see Tommy Elliott, it doesn't seem a feasible idea. The Riddler as a PI would be absolutely ideal...

Toku King
With the Reaper, they could do it like this:

Recent murders of crime bosses make everyone believe that Batman is the culprit. Now more than ever the police are on his tale, though Jim Gordon tries to stay out of it. Bruce spends most of his time as Batman nowadays after the events of "Dark Knight" in hopes of no longer getting close to people. Alfred is terrified of this and constantly tries to get Bruce out and into the open without the suit, but with constant fail.

One night, while patrolling the city, Batman comes upon a man screaming in terror, only to be revealed as a criminal not convicted of raping a young girl. He watches as a masked crusader with scythes for hands attacks him. Batman goes to stop him, believing him to be another Batman ripoff. He finds out quickly that this is no ordinary fake vigilante as he viciously attacks Bruce, injures him, kills the criminal just as the police arrive. The cops see Batman lumbering over the dead body, and are convinced that he is the killer. However, Batman barely escapes.

The GCPD start a new unit to capture batman, called the GCBD(Gotham City Batman Department), lead by Harvey Bullock. In order to find out what is inside the head of the Batman, they call on the expertise of Hugo Strange. To no one's understanding other than his own, Hugo uses this entire scenario in order to study and become more like Batman. Pulling the strings on the GCBD's actions, he calls in Edward Nigma to track down Batman for him in any way necessary.

Damaged and angry in his lair, Bruce ponders on who this 'Reaper' is. Every time he turns on the television, he sees nothing but killings. However, i has become more extreme. Criminals such as petty thieves and jaywalkers are being ruthlessly murdered. The billionaire now must go back out into the night and find out who this madman is.

Things become more difficult when Nigma finally meets Batman, and is revealed to be on the job of mob boss Rupert Thorne to kill the Reaper and Batman at once. The two join forces in order to stop the Reaper, with Hugo Strange studying it all.

Kapton JAC
It'd be cool if he had a slightly larger role in Batman 3, maybe being taken down at the start (a la Scarecrow) after a committing several murders. But I doubt he'd have a major role after clearly being little more than a thug with a knife in Batman Begins...

True

Toku King
Originally posted by Kapton JAC
True

Yup.

Aster Phoenix
I would like to see

1)Hush, he's perfect in my opinion, he's a realistic villain with close ties to Bruce.

2)Phantasm, Andrea would be great as a woman from Bruce's past who chose a different path of vengeance.

3)Bane & Black Mask. Black Mask could be a new mobster who rises up to take advantage of the void left and he hires an assassin named Bane to kill off The Batman.

DarthLazious
I hear rumors it is gonna be Catwoman and The Riddler which I hope is true.
I also hope for Gods sake they dont include Robin or Bat Girl in the next flim.

Shalimar_fox
Catwoman YES!!!!!

Icy Ninja
My mom just told me that Cher is playing CatWoman I hope to god that she was lying

Neo Darkhalen
I doubt that would ever be true.

Mairuzu
If cher plays catwoman, heath ledger better rise from the dead in his joker costume and say "Tada!!!"

Shalimar_fox
Cher no not at all

Darth Jello
Nolan wants to stay away from any campy or sci-fi style villains and has said that catwoman and the penguin would definitely not work for him. I'm guessing a good candidate for a future villain would be the Black Mask considering he was nearly in Dark Knight. I also think that Anarky (especially with his connections to the joker), Hush, maybe a highly retooled poison ivy, Rupert Thorne, Deadshot, and maybe Deathstroke would work. It should also be kept in mind that Deadshot and Killer Croc were already introduced in Gotham Knight.

The Heap
Deathstroke, given his suit, is too campy for Nolans world.

Toku King
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Nolan wants to stay away from any campy or sci-fi style villains and has said that catwoman and the penguin would definitely not work for him.

He said Penguin. Nolan said that Catwoman would be interesting.

SelinaAndBruce
I don't want a Catwoman but I guess they gotta give Bruce a new love interest. Why I don't know....

TheGame17
Do you think Ras al Gul could return and have Deathstroke as his new apprentice??
I think that'd be sweet...

Mairuzu
Originally posted by TheGame17
Do you think Ras al Gul could return and have Deathstroke as his new apprentice??
I think that'd be sweet... no

TheGame17
Originally posted by Mairuzu
no

why the hell not??

Almighty Bauer
Originally posted by Aster Phoenix
I would like to see

1)Hush, he's perfect in my opinion, he's a realistic villain with close ties to Bruce.

2)Phantasm, Andrea would be great as a woman from Bruce's past who chose a different path of vengeance.

3)Bane & Black Mask. Black Mask could be a new mobster who rises up to take advantage of the void left and he hires an assassin named Bane to kill off The Batman.
1) Sure, Hush could work, but it's not going to happen, and his origin is not particularly realistic, to be honest.

2) A woman from Bruce's past who isn't Rachel!? And she was never in the comics. NO.

3) Bane- yes. Assassin- hell, no. Read Knightfall. Bane's no thug for hire. If they want a gun-for-hire, Nolan could use Deadshot, Cane or any number of other villains.
Black Mask would be great, but I'm not sure if he'd seem too similar to the Joker, because:
- He's a sadist.
- He's got a disfigured face.
- He's insane.
- He's a genius.
- He manipulates the mob.
I think he could seem very similar, though I'm sure Nolan could make it work brilliantly.

ragesRemorse
I could see the next two villains being the black mask and the riddler. The black mask has the ability to rally criminals together. I could see someone like the Black Mask being the integral figure that turns Gotham into an essential no man's land with an over abundance of organized crime. I would really like to see Batman do some detective work in the Batman movie, instead of creating some super gadget that conveniently shows him where everyone in the city is located. HAving the Riddler as a villain would give the movie an outlet to focus on Batman's investigative prowess. Maybe, during the first half of the movie, Batman believes the Black mask is really the Riddler, but then finds out different and realizes that he has two master criminals on his hands.

TheGame17
Originally posted by Mairuzu
no

Why wouldn't Deathstroke work??...

Almighty Bauer
Why wouldn't Deathstroke work??...
A) He's not particularly realistic.
B) His costume could look ludicrous.
C) He's not a Batman villain.
D) Hasn't he appeared in a load of Teen Titans stuff???

TheGame17
A) He's not particularly realistic.
B) His costume could look ludicrous.
C) He's not a Batman villain.
D) Hasn't he appeared in a load of Teen Titans stuff???

true

The Heap
I may of already said this before, but I think what we need is somebody who actually CAN overthrow the performance of TDK.

We need realistic villains that can make for one hell of an awesome ending to this franchize, so in other words, NO RIDDLER, damnit.

He's way too boring.

Deadshot, Bane Black Mask, Reaper, Phantasm, Harley Quinn...

Any pairing of these characters should end things beautifully.

Neo Darkhalen
ermm the Riddler is anything but boring.

The Heap
Riddler sucks, IMO. I bet no one on this board finds him an intimidating villain. What a craptastic villain.

Kazenji
But as much as some people think he's craptastic its him that tests Batman's detective skills.

Almighty Bauer
ermm the Riddler is anything but boring.
Agreed. He also would fit ideally into the series following TDK if they made his character a PI, a la Dini's Riddler in Detective Comics. That'd be great.
But I also think that another villain would probably be needed if he was a PI, even if he did turn out to be evil. I'd still want an all-out villain for Batman to face while being hunted by the police. Bane would be really cool.

Impediment
I would love to see Riddler in the next film.

To make him much more interesting, I would suggest him be more like John Doe from Se7en: a cool, calculating psychopath.

Master Crimzon
John Doe from Se7en-esque Ridder will be nice, although I'm far from a fan of the Riddler. A shame that the best Batman villains (including the best comic book villain, period) were already exploited in the series.

That being said, though, I believe it would be interesting if Gotham is almost comlpetely in ruins from crime and corruption; Maroni's and Gambol's deaths would both create a massive power vacuum to fill, leading to an inevitable gang war; with Batman an outlaw, he and the police (namely Jim Gordon) cannot work together appropriately, taking away from their efficiency and, in turn, allowing crime to flourish, especially with Harvey Dent's (confirmed) death. Therefore, I feel that the most interesting villain will be the Reaper, a vigilante- like Batman- who actually kills the crooks. Seeing a battle between Batman and the Reaper- well, more of a battle between disagreeing methods- will be very, very interesting. I'm also open to the Scarecrow returning in more than a cameo role- he's my second favorite Bat-villain, and he will no doubt be great to fit in Batman 3.

The Joker should also have a cameo. Just a cameo, not a major role. That'll be awesome.

How does that scenario sound?

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
John Doe from Se7en-esque Ridder will be nice, although I'm far from a fan of the Riddler. A shame that the best Batman villains (including the best comic book villain, period) were already exploited in the series.

That being said, though, I believe it would be interesting if Gotham is almost comlpetely in ruins from crime and corruption; Maroni's and Gambol's deaths would both create a massive power vacuum to fill, leading to an inevitable gang war; with Batman an outlaw, he and the police (namely Jim Gordon) cannot work together appropriately, taking away from their efficiency and, in turn, allowing crime to flourish, especially with Harvey Dent's (confirmed) death. Therefore, I feel that the most interesting villain will be the Reaper, a vigilante- like Batman- who actually kills the crooks. Seeing a battle between Batman and the Reaper- well, more of a battle between disagreeing methods- will be very, very interesting. I'm also open to the Scarecrow returning in more than a cameo role- he's my second favorite Bat-villain, and he will no doubt be great to fit in Batman 3.

The Joker should also have a cameo. Just a cameo, not a major role. That'll be awesome.

Sounds great!

Master Crimzon
Thanks.

And yeah. I think that with the best Batman villains having already been used, it's best to pit Batman against a vigilante rather than just a typical villain.

And, well, IF Nolan does the right thing, he could create an entirely different identity for the Reaper, making Batman 3 a sort of a mystery. Heh, that'd be pretty cool.

Kovacs86

No cameo for the Joker. I don't see that their would be a point and with Ledger dead, just... no thanks.
Reaper would be good though, and more mobsters must be there too. I agree with most of that.

Toku King
Just saw some of "Batman Forever" again after such a long time of not seeing it, and Jim Carrey was actually a great Riddler. Hell, he even made the character separate from the Joker when it came to attitude. The only big issue was on how he got his stuff, and his costumes were idiotic.

Master Crimzon
Batman Forever sucked. Major time. Although the Riddler wasn't that horrendous.

The Heap
Although the Riddler wasn't that horrendous.

You're kidding, right?

Master Crimzon
He wasn't THAT horrendous in the sense that he wasn't a deplorable pile of shit. He was pretty bad, yeah, but he wasn't -THAT- bad. That being said, though, I'm not a big fan of even comic book Riddler, so meh.

Toku King
Batman Forever sucked. Major time.

Meh, it was ok.

Kovacs86
He wasn't THAT horrendous in the sense that he wasn't a deplorable pile of shit. He was pretty bad, yeah, but he wasn't -THAT- bad. That being said, though, I'm not a big fan of even comic book Riddler, so meh.
Trust me... he was that horrendous.

Toku King
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Trust me... he was that horrendous.

Nah. Jim Carrey was a good Riddler. The only problem was his choice of costumes.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Toku King
Nah. Jim Carrey was a good Riddler. The only problem was his choice of costumes.
I disagree, but I take it I can't convince you otherwise. I thought he was ridiculous and unbelievably annoying too. It was an absolutely horrific portrayal, in my opinion.

Darth Jello
the thing with carrey's riddler is if they wanted THAT Riddler in the movie, they should have just gotten Frank Groshin who was still alive and that would've at least been marginally better. As for using the Riddler in a Nolan movie, why not have him in a brief cameo like the batman copycats, just some nut job who's really into cosplay who challenges batman with a plastic question wand and a disgusting neon spandex costume or something?

SelinaAndBruce
Jim Carrey was an awful Riddler.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Darth Jello
the thing with carrey's riddler is if they wanted THAT Riddler in the movie, they should have just gotten Frank Groshin who was still alive and that would've at least been marginally better. As for using the Riddler in a Nolan movie, why not have him in a brief cameo like the batman copycats, just some nut job who's really into cosplay who challenges batman with a plastic question wand and a disgusting neon spandex costume or something?

I don't think we'll see a bright green costume for the Riddler...
And the problem with Gorshin would be that he was probably 60 or 70 when Batman Forever came out.

BruceSkywalker
Jim Carrey was an awful Riddler.

QFT

Kovacs86
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
QFT

Qft?

Neo Darkhalen
Quoted for truth.

Kovacs86
Quoted for truth.

Aha! That makes sense now...

Toku King
You'll all laugh, but I think that King Tut could be revamped and modernized really well to make an awesome Batman nemesis.

Kovacs86
You'll all laugh, but I think that King Tut could be revamped and modernized really well to make an awesome Batman nemesis.

Hate to do this to you, but... laughing
I somehow doubt that'll happen!

Toku King
Hate to do this to you, but... laughing
I somehow doubt that'll happen!

I'm not saying that Nolan will even consider it, but you really could make him awesome.

He could be William McElroy, an archeologist who comes to Gotham to piece together the secrets of King Tut's 'Treasure Room'. He becomes so obsessed with his work that he helps *insert villain name here* in order to get the equipment he needs to finish his findings.
As he delves deeper and deeper into his research, he sees similarities between himself and King Tut. Birthdays, certain events, and so on. Then, he becomes convinced that he is indeed the reincarnation of King Tut. In order to bring himself to power over Gotham as Tut did Egypt, McElroy dons a mask that resembles the face of the tomb of Tut, marks his whole body with hieroglyphs(carving them into his skin), bulking up and learning ancient fighting techniques from old scrolls, and using Egyptian-themed weapons that he recovered on his digs, such as poison tipped daggers, spears, and so on.
King Tut then begins to have followers as he goes across Gotham City until he reclaims the city that he believes to be rightfully his.

The Heap
^ Uhhhh, please no. Just no.

Your story of King Tut would take an entire damn movie just to film his training and the whole "carving hieroglyphs" into his body. Not to mention him finding followers.

Just do it simple: Black Mask, Azrael, people like them.

Then again, Azrael would probably take a whole movie up...

Bat Dude
Originally posted by The Heap

Your story of King Tut would take an entire damn movie just to film his training and the whole "carving hieroglyphs" into his body. Not to mention him finding followers.

Black Mask would be great...

Add in the Reaper, and I think that'd be a great direction to go in...

BruceSkywalker

HMMM. Jean Paul Valley, be nice, but doubtful

Toku King

Um, no. You could just, ya know, shortly go bit by bit on his story up until the climactic battle.
So no, you're only complaint doesn't even work.

The Heap
Um, no. You could just, ya know, shortly go bit by bit on his story up until the climactic battle.
So no, you're only complaint doesn't even work.

laughing

Nolan's take on Batman features Gotham in a pseudo-realistic world. King Tut has no place here.

Kovacs86
HMMM. Jean Paul Valley, be nice, but doubtful

JPV would be awesome. They could use the League of Shadows in place of the Order of St Dumas. He could fight Batman a couple of times, but join him to fight a villain in the end (a la Sword of Azrael, though probably with a different villain, though LeHah was pretty cool).

Toku King
Nolan's take on Batman features Gotham in a pseudo-realistic world. King Tut has no place here.

Then you didn't read my post. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Kovacs86
Then you didn't read my post. roll eyes (sarcastic)

To be fair, Tut isn't particularly realistic. I thought your idea wasn't bad, but I'm still not sure it could work in Nolan's Batman "universe". What equipment would a bad guy need from the fearsome "Museum Man"? Why would he be so f*cked up?
He just doesn't fit in with the Nolan series. Sorry. sad

BruceSkywalker
JPV would be awesome. They could use the League of Shadows in place of the Order of St Dumas. He could fight Batman a couple of times, but join him to fight a villain in the end (a la Sword of Azrael, though probably with a different villain, though LeHah was pretty cool).

Sounds nice, I really would love to see Azrael in Nolanverse. He could make it work.

Kovacs86
Sounds nice, I really would love to see Azrael in Nolanverse. He could make it work.

I suppose the costume would need to be changed a little, but it's fairly functional armour, used both for theatrics and for practical use, so it isn't too bad. I reckon he could work very well. Not sure if they could have Azrael using the blades in his gauntlets a great deal, as they're pretty vicious for a 12A/ PG13 film.

Master Crimzon
They had the Joker's cut people's faces apart. I'm sure they could get away with murder again.

Kovacs86
They had the Joker's cut people's faces apart. I'm sure they could get away with murder again.

Sure they did, but they didn't show him actually in the process of face-cutting. With Azrael, you'd expect him to use ridiculously sharp, fiery blades whenever he's in combat. They can't subtly shoot every fight scene to make sure no one glimpses people getting hacked to pieces, can they?

Master Crimzon
Sure they did, but they didn't show him actually in the process of face-cutting. With Azrael, you'd expect him to use ridiculously sharp, fiery blades whenever he's in combat. They can't subtly shoot every fight scene to make sure no one glimpses people getting hacked to pieces, can they?

They could modify him, or tone him down to a certain extent.

By the way, what do you think of having Lady Shiva as a villain? She's pretty cool, and could easily fit into a realistic environment.

Kovacs86
They could modify him, or tone him down to a certain extent.

By the way, what do you think of having Lady Shiva as a villain? She's pretty cool, and could easily fit into a realistic environment.

Lady Shiva would be pretty cool. She could be both a fairly minor villain or in fact a major villain in a film, considering the fact that she has ties with the League of Shadows. I doubt she'll appear in the films, sadly, and I would rather have Talia al Ghul appearing, and they surely wouldn't have both.

Master Crimzon
Lady Shiva would be pretty cool. She could be both a fairly minor villain or in fact a major villain in a film, considering the fact that she has ties with the League of Shadows. I doubt she'll appear in the films, sadly, and I would rather have Talia al Ghul appearing, and they surely wouldn't have both.

Talia works, too. Or Catwoman. Both, as love interests, are far, far, far, far, far superior to Rachel Dawes.

Still, they shouldn't go overboard with the number of characters. Batman alone worked fine until now, so maybe he doesn't need a sidekick/love interest or w/e.

Kovacs86
Talia works, too. Or Catwoman. Both, as love interests, are far, far, far, far, far superior to Rachel Dawes.

Still, they shouldn't go overboard with the number of characters. Batman alone worked fine until now, so maybe he doesn't need a sidekick/love interest or w/e.

While Catwoman could be very cool, I have a feeling that Nolan's already said that she won't be appearing, and I actually think that Talia would be my favourite potential villain for the next film. She'd fit in really well, following on from Ra's. The story could come full circle very nicely, and maybe she would ultimately realise Batman's the hero and help him defeat a main villain at the end.

BruceSkywalker
While Catwoman could be very cool, I have a feeling that Nolan's already said that she won't be appearing, and I actually think that Talia would be my favourite potential villain for the next film. She'd fit in really well, following on from Ra's. The story could come full circle very nicely, and maybe she would ultimately realise Batman's the hero and help him defeat a main villain at the end.

Talia would be an interesting villain. Her and Batman always have had a love/hate relationship. It could work.

Toku King
To be fair, Tut isn't particularly realistic. I thought your idea wasn't bad, but I'm still not sure it could work in Nolan's Batman "universe". What equipment would a bad guy need from the fearsome "Museum Man"? Why would he be so f*cked up?
He just doesn't fit in with the Nolan series. Sorry. sad

He does, actually.
He believes that new weapons merely corrupt(which is why he uses old school tools), and his craziness is for his confusion and anger over his own theory of reincarnation.
If a guy with a messed up face with no eyelids on one side still has two working eyes, then Tut could work.

Kovacs86
He does, actually.
He believes that new weapons merely corrupt(which is why he uses old school tools), and his craziness is for his confusion and anger over his own theory of reincarnation.
If a guy with a messed up face with no eyelids on one side still has two working eyes, then Tut could work.

Perhaps he could. I doubt many people would have expected that the whole Batman "universe" could be handled so realistically before Begins, so perhaps people (and "people" certainly includes me) are too hasty in writing off certain characters as "unrealistic".

Myth
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/08/dark-knight-exclusive-michael-caine-says-johnny-depp-is-the-riddler-philip-seymour-hoffman-is-the-penguin/

I don't know if you guys saw this yet or not, but its interesting. Both characters and actors have been mentioned before, but this time it comes from Michael Caine. I'm cool with Hoffman as Penguin, but I'm not quite sold on Depp as Riddler. My fear is that Depp's Riddler will be too similar to previous Depp characters. I loved how Heath didn't seem like Heath. I fear that Depp will seem like Depp.

Myth
Btw, I would love for Azrael to come into the story. Especially if he is in two films and one of them is where he tries to replace Batman.

Endrict Nuul
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00018174.html

"The Penguin Casting Rumors Confirmed by Michael Caine"

"The actor who played Alfred Pennyworth said that the studio have indicated that they want to cast Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin."

Just rumors.... but still, not those two villains again.... sad

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017996.html

No Riddler Part for Johnny Depp, the Actor Revealed.

Myth
Yeah, I posted that about an hour ago. My worry is Depp, not necessarily the characters. I'm thinking they'll throw in a new bad guy too, because Nolan said (I believe) that he wants to do knew characters. So those 2 plus + 1 new character would be great.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00018174.html

"The Penguin Casting Rumors Confirmed by Michael Caine"

"The actor who played Alfred Pennyworth said that the studio have indicated that they want to cast Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin."

Just rumors.... but still, not those two villains again.... sad

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017996.html

No Riddler Part for Johnny Depp, the Actor Revealed.

I will do you one better.. Philip Seymour Hoffman's own words...

http://www.movieweb.com/news/51/31151.php

Bat Dude
I will do you one better.. Philip Seymour Hoffman's own words...

http://www.movieweb.com/news/51/31151.php

Yeah, I just read that...

Not to mention Nolan said he WASN'T gonna use Penguin in this franchise...

Myth
http://www.firstshowing.net/img/joshwmc-darkknight-art-02.jpg

I just saw this. Could work to have Harley Quinn be a female copy-cat of the Joker.

Master Crimzon
Holy shit. That picture is friggin' awesome.

BruceSkywalker
Yeah, I just read that...

Not to mention Nolan said he WASN'T gonna use Penguin in this franchise...

Which is why if the rumor is true that WB wants to interfere, then they are making a gross mistake. Let Chris Nolan make a good movie. There is no way he can top The Dark Knight so he shouldn't even try. Chris Nolan should just make a good movie.

Barbarian Shams
Wow now thats a Harley Quinn that actually looks like a female Joker, and quite terrifying to say the least. The original Harley isn't that terrifying visually.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Barbarian Shams
Wow now thats a Harley Quinn that actually looks like a female Joker, and quite terrifying to say the least. The original Harley isn't that terrifying visually.

Let's keep Harley FAR away from this series, please...

Barbarian Shams
I would rather go for baddies that haven't been on the screen before.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Barbarian Shams
I would rather go for baddies that haven't been on the screen before.

So would I...

But I DON'T think Harley should be in this series... At all.

Myth
She could be good if "creative liberties" are taken with her as other characters have. Thats why I think of making her more like a female Joker would be cool.

Myth
Poster if Mad Hatter is in the film.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2520/image1711jd8.jpg

Another Riddler poster:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5723/newbatmanposterzc3.jpg

Catwoman:

http://www.gothamcitycentral.com/posters/catwoman.jpg

Myth
Guy Pearce on Riddler: http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/02/riddle-me-this-guy-pearce-is-down-for-visiting-chris-nolans-gotham/

Master Crimzon
The Catwoman is nice, but Harley Quinn's poster is S-W-E-E-T.

Still, I don't think she should be in this series- certainly not as a primary anatagonist. I've never really seen Harl as much of a villain; she's more of a comedic (and freakin' loveable) character that often brings the Joker's human side out. No, she's not very intimidating.

However, she COULD work if, say, early in the movie, the Joker would die (sad as it might be, it'll give him a major role to play in the movie); Harley Quinn, a psychologist working in Arkham Asylum who becomes obsessed with the Killer Clown cannot take his death, both destroying her 'work' and her secret obsession. Swearing to take vengeance upon Batman- whom she blames for Mista J's death- Harley Quinn decides to become an image of the Joker, a sort of 'continuation' of him, and works with the primary villain- whoever that might be- to kill the Batman.

I think that might work.

Myth
I don't think Joker has to die for that to happen. I think it could be as simple as her working with Joker drives her crazy, and then she decides to become an image of the joker, etc.

Kovacs86
I really don't think Harley Quinn will appear, and I certainly don't want her to. She's not a particularly realistic character, and just isn't that threatening a villain. She's just Joker's groupie...
Also, has anyone considered that this (as yet unconfirmed) third Nolan Batman film is getting horribly overhyped? Yes, the Dark Knight was great, but this third film surely won't be out for 2-3 years. However many times people say that they know the Dark Knight can't be matched, they still seem to be so excited for this film that they're ignoring the fact that nothing about this potential sequel is known.
Then again, I don't mind speculation. Hell, I'm as guilty as anyone on here. I just think that all this hype and excitement over a film we know nothing about is, perhaps... premature.

Master Crimzon
I really don't think Harley Quinn will appear, and I certainly don't want her to. She's not a particularly realistic character, and just isn't that threatening a villain. She's just Joker's groupie...
Also, has anyone considered that this (as yet unconfirmed) third Nolan Batman film is getting horribly overhyped? Yes, the Dark Knight was great, but this third film surely won't be out for 2-3 years. However many times people say that they know the Dark Knight can't be matched, they still seem to be so excited for this film that they're ignoring the fact that nothing about this potential sequel is known.
Then again, I don't mind speculation. Hell, I'm as guilty as anyone on here. I just think that all this hype and excitement over a film we know nothing about is, perhaps... premature.

Probably. But although I believe that The Dark Knight cannot be matched, I have come to terms with the existence of a third film; it might be awesome, damnit, although I originally thought (and posted about it) that it should not be made.

Harley Quinn, with a few tweaks, could be made into a friggin' psycho. But honestly, if they wanna bring back a Joker, bring a recast Joker, not a female version of him (which a tweaked up Harl would be).

Kovacs86
Probably. But although I believe that The Dark Knight cannot be matched, I have come to terms with the existence of a third film; it might be awesome, damnit, although I originally thought (and posted about it) that it should not be made.

While I don't necessarily think the Dark Knight cannot be matched (hell, we know nothing about this third film, and TDK was not perfect), I just think people should think realistically about this potential third film.

Harley Quinn, with a few tweaks, could be made into a friggin' psycho. But honestly, if they wanna bring back a Joker, bring a recast Joker, not a female version of him (which a tweaked up Harl would be).

Agreed. I think Nolan will go for something new again, however. The Dark Knight and Batman Begins certainly differed quite a lot, and I expect a similar difference between the Dark Knight and "Batman 3". I hope to have another unique villain, not a weak Joker replica, and I don't particularly mind who it is, as long as it's a new, fresh character (for the films). I have my preferences, but I don't mind greatly who it is.
I'd love to see Bane or Talia, but I know Nolan could make a great film, whether he uses the Riddler, Catwoman or someone entirely unexpected.

Toku King
http://www.firstshowing.net/img/joshwmc-darkknight-art-02.jpg

I just saw this. Could work to have Harley Quinn be a female copy-cat of the Joker.

Holy crap, that is incredible!

Toku King
So would I...

But I DON'T think Harley should be in this series... At all.

If Heath was still alive, I would've loved to have seen Harley Quinn appear.

Master Crimzon
While I don't necessarily think the Dark Knight cannot be matched (hell, we know nothing about this third film, and TDK was not perfect), I just think people should think realistically about this potential third film.

Agreed. I think Nolan will go for something new again, however. The Dark Knight and Batman Begins certainly differed quite a lot, and I expect a similar difference between the Dark Knight and "Batman 3". I hope to have another unique villain, not a weak Joker replica, and I don't particularly mind who it is, as long as it's a new, fresh character (for the films). I have my preferences, but I don't mind greatly who it is.
I'd love to see Bane or Talia, but I know Nolan could make a great film, whether he uses the Riddler, Catwoman or someone entirely unexpected.

TDK- aside from being slightly too long- was all a Batman movie could possibly be. It simply cannot be improved; it's the ultimate Batman movie.

And I agree with your second point.

Scythe
Catwoman:

http://www.gothamcitycentral.com/posters/catwoman.jpg Horrible photoshopping.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Scythe
Horrible photoshopping.

Agreed. It looks ****ing ridiculous. You can tell that's just Catwoman's costume from a comic, which looks utterly ludicrous with a human face in it...

Master Crimzon
Harley Quinn picture is BADASS, though.

Yes. I'm a Harley fanboy.

BruceSkywalker
Poster if Mad Hatter is in the film.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2520/image1711jd8.jpg

Another Riddler poster:

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5723/newbatmanposterzc3.jpg

Catwoman:

http://www.gothamcitycentral.com/posters/catwoman.jpg

Great fakes, especially of Kate.

spidermanrocks
i dont think they should recast the joker because i think nolan should honor heath ledger and never replace him.

Impediment
Jim Parsons as The Riddler.

Think about it: He's perfect as Sheldon Cooper, PhD, from the hit series The Big Bang Theory. He's tall, wiry, great at physical comedy, and portrays intellectual narcissism to a tee.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
Jim Parsons as The Riddler.

Think about it: He's perfect as Sheldon Cooper, PhD, from the hit series The Big Bang Theory. He's tall, wiry, great at physical comedy, and portrays intellectual narcissism to a tee.

He could work

Impediment
Definitely, I say.

Darth Subjekt
He'd have to play it dark to pull it off as well as Heath though. Not sure he could. But, to be fair, I didn't think Heath could do what he did.

Quincy Jones
Im not really sure about the Riddler.. he seems to be kindof a copycat of the joker to me. I think deadshot and penguin should be in the third movie. Considering the fact that Nolan prefers to make his movies as realistic as possible, it would be quite hard to choose a classic batman villain. Quite hard, but possible. And Im so looking forward to a third batman, if nolan or any great director/writer is up for it.

Darth Subjekt
Well then that could work. They tie up the Joker's loose end, and it sends some wacky nut-job off the deep end who wants to punish Batman and Gotham for stopping its greatest criminal. I dunno... I'm drunk, lol.

Quincy Jones
More important than figuring out the next villain would be to figure out thenext situation to put gotham city in.

Looking at batman begins, the situation was ra's al ghul attempting to destroy gotham, and although he didnt quite get it done, he managed to create chaos in the narrows, set free the inmates of gotham and pave way for the classic villains to follow.

In the dark knight, the story was focused on the joker trying to break gotham's spirits by blowing things up, creating madness and just being plain criminally insane. Not to mention causing gotham's white knight to fall.

So you see, its not just about bringing in a new villain, its about creating a new scenario. I can see why christopher nolan is not quite intent on making a 3rd batman film (yahoo news). bb was about a zealous villain trying to do the world a favor while tdk was about a psychopath who just wants everything to burn. The 3rd film would have to be about something totally new in contrast to the stories of the 2 previous films.

Anyway, jim gordon just became the commissioner and batman has yet to move back to the cave so whatever reason nolan has for not wanting to make a 3rd batman, it just aint good enough...

Can i get a hell yeah?...

TheGame17
SO about Hush.
I've heard alot of people mention him so I just read Batman: Hush again.
The storyline is superb! One of the few Jeph Loeb books i've liked stick out tongue

But i really think Hush would be the best villian for the 3rd film. It makes it more personal and deeper than just another maniac playing tricks with batman (e.g.: The Riddler).

What do you guys think?....

BruceSkywalker
SO about Hush.
I've heard alot of people mention him so I just read Batman: Hush again.
The storyline is superb! One of the few Jeph Loeb books i've liked stick out tongue

But i really think Hush would be the best villian for the 3rd film. It makes it more personal and deeper than just another maniac playing tricks with batman (e.g.: The Riddler).

What do you guys think?....

Tommy Eliot would make a good villain for Batman , but for the third film its prolly going to be The Riddler and maybe the return of Two Face, but I won't expect to here anything concrete until at least this same time next year

Master Crimzon
Two-Face has been confirmed dead by the TDK novelization, Christopher Nolan, and Aaron Eckhart. So, no, he won't be coming back.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>