Cannibal Holocaust

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endrict Nuul
Has anyone seen this movie and how is it?

It's supposed to be really disturbing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibal_Holocaust

MildPossession
If this is the one where they actually really kill the animals like a Turtle, then I despise it. See it for free if you can.

Scythe
It's great, not for the faint of heart and I've never seen this movie as horror, more like shock genre.

deathbycorn
Yeah like Scythe said its more of a Euro Shock film or a Video Nasty.

I like Cannibal Holocaust for what it is. The Italian cannibal films set a good mood and feeling for that period in time.

Cannibal Ferox is the other big one.

BackFire
Very good shock/horror film unlike any others.

The animal cruelty scenes are horrific and tasteless, but damn if they aren't powerful.

The movie also has some of the best music I've heard in a horror film of this type.

Definitely check it out if you like extreme cinema.

Scythe
Don't get me wrong, the animal cruelty was bad, but it added realism to the film. Natives of tribes in far away jungles practice this rather for ritual or survival reasons, it's everday stuff.

BackFire
Not to mention that the animals that were killed actually would have been killed anyways. Seeing as this was filmed in the Amazon they had to kill animals for food. They decided to film the killings just for a quick and easy way to turn the film up a notch and as you said, add realism.

MildPossession
I don't care if the dead animals went to the natives for food or the excuse that they would have been killed anyway. Filming the killing of real animals for ENTERTAINMENT value is disgusting.

Did you miss the actual non tribe actors catching and killing the turtle...

I am just glad I didn't pay any money towards the film.

ragesRemorse
This movie is horrible. It is one of those movie's that are good if you are a young teenager. I remember when i was thirteen or fourteen, i started my taboo phase. I had to see everything that was socially disdained or banned. Back then, the internet wasn't quite what it is today and you still had to hunt for those rare movie's. This movie had an impact on me the first time i saw it. Although, that impact was empty and based soley on shock tactics. I can still remember how i felt when i first saw it. That says a lot when you consider that i can no longer find any nostalgic value from Star Wars or Terminator 2. Cannibal Holocaust transcends art and lands directly in the realm of atrocity. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about this movie and some may argue that there is little to justify it's existence.
I do agree that there is nothing artistic about the movie and i have never believed that the Director intended on conveying any message, but, the movie does exist and the scenes of cruelty should be watched. Most people whom live in comfort will go a very long time in their lives without seeing such primitive cruelty. Like, Lsd, the "turtle scene" can be very enlightening if you have the right perspective before engaging.

MildPossession
I remember going through my watching all the banned/nasty/most gory stuff I could find phase, I was a bit younger than you, I was in middle school I think. I remember I was, for some reason, proud of seeing an uncut version of I Spit on Your Grave when it was banned completely in England(I believe it was before they released it here on dvd), ha ha. Oh dear.

Didn't like Cannibal Holocaust then either.

Impediment
I liked Cannibal Holocaust enough to buy the anniversary DVD. It's fun to watch.

BackFire
Originally posted by MildPossession
I don't care if the dead animals went to the natives for food or the excuse that they would have been killed anyway. Filming the killing of real animals for ENTERTAINMENT value is disgusting.

Did you miss the actual non tribe actors catching and killing the turtle...

I am just glad I didn't pay any money towards the film.

The animals were eaten, turtle included. They weren't killed for the sake of entertainment, they were killed for food and it was decided that they might as well film it. Had they not filmed it, they'd still be dead.

Of course, no surprise at all that many people can't stand the movie. Obviously, like any shock/horror film worth a shit, it isn't for everyone.

MildPossession
The point is, the turtle was killed by the actors. There was no point for them to kill it, they were not forced to kill it because they needed to eat to survive. Yes the animal WAS killed for the sake of entertainment, I believe the director himself said years later that he was actually sorry that they did such a thing for the film...

It would be a bit different if it was the actual tribes people who killed the turtle for food and they happened to be there at the time to film it.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Has anyone seen this movie and how is it?

It's supposed to be really disturbing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibal_Holocaust

I'll give you disturbing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Addio

Good luck if you find the 140 minute version. Which is rumor to contain actual human killings.

I come to think that CH is the child of the Mondo Cane and Explotation genres. One thing is for sure...these films won't be filmed ever again...of course there will be people trying to make them. But laws and human/animal rights organizations will prevent them.

It's a period of time long gone.

BackFire
Originally posted by MildPossession
The point is, the turtle was killed by the actors. There was no point for them to kill it, they were not forced to kill it because they needed to eat to survive. Yes the animal WAS killed for the sake of entertainment, I believe the director himself said years later that he was actually sorry that they did such a thing for the film...

It would be a bit different if it was the actual tribes people who killed the turtle for food and they happened to be there at the time to film it.

What difference does it make who killed it? It would still be dead whether they filmed it or not, they would have killed it to eat it. It had to be killed for food. It WAS killed for food. Filming in the amazon they killed the wild life for food. It wasn't as if their initial idea was to kill animals for the film. They were going to kill them for food, and then they said 'since we're going to kill these animals anyways, why not film it and put it into the film. They'll be killed anyways, so no more harm done"

Deodato regretting it is irrelevant to the reason that it was primarily done.

Really though, the animal killings have shit all to do with the quality of the film, objectively speaking.

deathbycorn
I'm not taking sides but if you watched Cannibal Holocaust you obviously knew that the animal killings were in the film, so if you didn't wanna see them, you shouldn't of watched it MP!!

MildPossession
I saw it when I was younger before I knew there were actual animal killings in it.

I think regretting it shows it all... I also believe I read in interviews with certain cast and crew members that the animals were filmed for shock value... humm.

I've been told the actual turtle type that is killed in the film is an endangered species.

The thing that grates me is that there is no point whatsoever for them to kill the animal on film for a fictional film, there is no reason for them to kill for sustenance purposes either...

BackFire
Yes the animals were filmed for shock value. But they were KILLED for food.

Killing animals emphasized the point of the film (and there is a point, anyone who says otherwise is wrong), that civilized human beings aren't, and showing civilized people doing cruel and savage things, such as killing animals, is a powerful way to make that point.

cropsy_is_god
Its great. The only thing i didn't like was the animal cruelty in the uncut version.

WrathfulDwarf
I think the ethics here is what makes people regret the film.

For the actors to kill the animals was just not necessary. Even if they were kill for food. What? you expect me to believe that the film crew didn't carry food to the jungle? I'm sure Deodato had food and provisions for them to eat. Killing the animals just to put up and act should be rejected.

For the tribes people to kill the animals...yes, that's acceptable. They kill animals to survive. It's their culture and means to live. But were the actors killing the animals for survival? No, they didn't...they kill them for acting...not for survival. Hence it is consider wrong. In the end the actors go back to their homes in Europe and eat like the rest of us. The tribe people remain in the jungle.

Now, I will set the record straight. What was done...was done. There is no going back. I'm not agaisn't the film....but I can see what the other side of the fence objects to....

CH is still one of the films that it isn't for everyone. As I said before...there will never be another. If there is....there will be serious reprocutions.

CH remains a good film for me. I'm not pulling a stake and drive it throught the heart. It would hypocritical of me to say this film wasn't good. It was good..it has a great story...and I enjoy it.

Do I condemn the film? No, I don't....but as mention early... I look at the other side of the fence.

DeNiro
I would just really like to know how to find this movie i know i asked about five years ago but i still havent gotten around to doing anything about it. thanks for any help

deathbycorn
Don't wanna sound like a snob, but dude you are on the internet! Go on google.com and type in Cannibal Holocaust DVD and there is plenty of places to get the DVD. Or you could go onto a site like mininova or thepiratebay and download it if you use torrents.

If you get a DVD though, there is heaps of different versions. The best one is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cannibal-Holocaust-Limited-Disc-Uncut/dp/B000FIKFRU

DeNiro
Originally posted by deathbycorn
Don't wanna sound like a snob, but dude you are on the internet! Go on google.com and type in Cannibal Holocaust DVD and there is plenty of places to get the DVD. Or you could go onto a site like mininova or thepiratebay and download it if you use torrents.

If you get a DVD though, there is heaps of different versions. The best one is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cannibal-Holocaust-Limited-Disc-Uncut/dp/B000FIKFRU

Thanks and i like your sarcasm laughing out loud

Dr Will Hatch
I saw this a few days ago. It blew me away. The most powerful, disturbing and scary movie I've seen yet.

deathbycorn
Well you haven't seen anything yet!

Dr Will Hatch
Got anything worse? The only thing I can think of that is worse is the novel American Psycho. I'm not ust talking about the gore factor, I'm talking about the cruelty factor.

deathbycorn
Like I said, ba ba ba baby you just aint seen nothing yet!!!

Try some of these films -

Inside - Pure carnage caught on film.
Subconscious Cruelty - Just sick.
Begotten - Imagine seeing real gore on Acid.
Salo - Not that gory but bloody disturbing.
Nekromantik - I don't even want to talk about it.
Aftermath - Some seriously messed up stuff.
Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh - Pretty damn disturbing.

And also check out these Asian gore films -

Men Behind The Sun
Art of the Devil 1 & 2
Naked Blood 1 & 2
Red Room 1 & 2
the Angel Guts series
the All Night Long series

BackFire
I more or less consider Cannibal Holocaust the gateway film to the video nasty/extreme sub genre of horror, it's usually one of the first ones someone sees when delving into that type of film, along with Last House on the Left.

All the ones Deathbycorn mentions are good, I'd highlight Salo, Men Behind the Sun, Aftermath and Guinea Pig:Flower of Flesh and Blood. I'd also add Guinea Pig: Mermad in the Manhole, August Underground and August Underground: Penance and Cutting Moments.

Also, for another decent Cannibal film check out Cannibal Ferox. Not nearly as good as Holocaust, but worth watching if you enjoyed CH.

deathbycorn
Also might wanna check out Marian Dora's Cannibal and the Aussie film Feed.

BackFire is right, the first 'gore' film I watched was Cannibal Holocaust then I started on the other ones I heard about being heaps gory on forums.

Not to say that gore movies are my fave horror films, which isn't the case at all, I rather big budget monster flicks like Tremors and Deep Rising myself, and also psychological horror like Session 9 and The Shining and backwoods horror like Haute Tension & Rovdyr. I also rather watching international horror like Spanish, French, English, and Norwegian.

RedFrosty
Sick! But it reflects reality though...

mrblue
i loved this film when i first saw it. it was brutal.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.