Bloc Party: Intimacy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prabhodh
Bloc Party announced on the 18th of August that their third studio album will be named "Intimacy" and that it will released three days later on the 21st of August.

It's been released on MP3 format and the CD will be released on October 27.

Its a huge shift away from their previous two albums, and the one i like the least. I'm not saying its a bad album in anyway, but with them using more and more electronic elements they draw themselves away from the people who liked them for their previous guitar driven sound which labeled them as a post punk revival band.

The highlights are Halo, Trojan Horse, One Month Off and Ion Square.

Silent Alarm remains my favorite album, with great guitar driven songs like "She's Hearing Voices" and "Banquet". I'm not saying they should keep making the same album again and again, but this is too big a shit for me, but I'm a big enough fan to give it time and let it grow on me.

Anyone heard it yet, and what do you think?

SnakeEyes
I love Bloc Party, one of my favorites. A Weekend In The City > Silent Alarm in my opinion.

Didn't know they were releasing a new album though, I'll have to check this out asap.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Prabhodh
I'm not saying they should keep making the same album again and again, but this is too big a shit for me

Sorry for the double post, but this sentence just made me laugh.

Prabhodh
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I love Bloc Party, one of my favorites. A Weekend In The City > Silent Alarm in my opinion.

Didn't know they were releasing a new album though, I'll have to check this out asap.

Mine too, man... I love both the albums...

They kept this one a big secret, probably because their previous album got leaked 3 months before it was meant to be released.

Sorry for the double post, but this sentence just made me laugh.

Haha... i meant to say "big shift"... I don't want to change in now...

jaden101
i dont believe if you're a fan that you should force yourself to like it...if you dont like it you dont like it...doesn't make you more or less of a fan

i know alot of bands where i like only select albums...kings of leon for example...loved their 1st and hated their last album...loving the sound of their new stuff though

same with BRMC

as for bloc party...yeah i also prefer silent alarm...although "flux" is a great tune...i didn't really like the 2nd album all that much

ragesRemorse
Bloc party is definitely ok.

I like flux, the prayer and helicopter

SnakeEyes
Alright, I've listened to the new album and think it's really good. I'm not sure yet where it ranks in comparison to the other two, but I'd say it's definitely another solid album from a band that's becoming a consistent favorite of mine. The song "Signs" immediately stood out to me, I've listened to it more than any of the others on the CD.

papabeard
Not heard this yet, will listen to it today.

They were excellent at the Reading Festival last night, they have really improved as a live band.

wicker_man
Is this dull excuse for a band still going? They're so boring they make Radiohead look like The Fast Food Rockers.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by wicker_man
Is this dull excuse for a band still going? /B]

Yep, still making great albums.

wicker_man
Yep, still making great albums.

I've yet to see an album of theirs that'll stand the test of time, the vocals are mundane, the guitar playing is basic and the lyrics are the work of pompous Oxbridge windbags.

SnakeEyes
I've yet to see an album of theirs that'll stand the test of time, the vocals are mundane, the guitar playing is basic and the lyrics are the work of pompous Oxbridge windbags.

The vocals are anything but mundane, I've not heard anyone who sounds like Kele. The guitar-playing is a nice mix of melody/a number of effects that aren't utilized in other bands. Guitarists don't need to incorporate overly technical pieces to be considered good. As for the lyrics, to me, you just lost all credibility by saying they're "the work of pompous Oxbridge windbags." Kele writes some of the most personal, touching lyrics in my opinion. In addition to this, he's an extremely shy/modest guy, hardly pompous. I recommend listening to the music before critiquing it. If you don't like it, that's cool, but I think your reasoning's lacking quite a bit.

wicker_man
The vocals are anything but mundane, I've not heard anyone who sounds like Kele. The guitar-playing is a nice mix of melody/a number of effects that aren't utilized in other bands. Guitarists don't need to incorporate overly technical pieces to be considered good. As for the lyrics, to me, you just lost all creditbility by saying they're "the work of pompous Oxbridge windbags." Kele writes some of the most personal, touching lyrics in my opinion. In addition to this, he's an extremely shy/modest guy, hardly pompous in any sense of the word. I reccomend listening to the music before critiquing it. If you don't like it, that's cool, but I think your reasoning's lacking quite a bit.

You've not heard anyone like Kele? I take it your not British then? For bands like Bloc Party there are ten to a penny - listein to Kasabian, Cold Play, Kasier Chiefs hell even Scouting For Girls.
I never said guitarists need to be top of their class, take a look at The Beatles, The Sex Pistols, The Clash et. all hardly great guitarists but they still managed to stand out and make names for themselves.

I didn't lose any credibility with you, because I never had any with you to begin with - what you're going to make a judgement on me on one topic? If you did then you're obviously a child with no real grasp on the concept of life yet.

Oh and if he's so modest why did he throw a hissy fit when Green Day were making the political airwaves with American Idiot, that interview alone made me realise he had an ego that was underthreat.

Sorry but there lyrics don't do anything for me, not in the same way as KoRn's Daddy, probably have no idea why I'm referring to this song - might scare you a bit if I told you.

SnakeEyes
The fact that they're British doesn't make them sound like Kele Okereke imo. For your information I'm not British. I see what you're getting at by naming those guitarists and in my opinion, Russell Lissack (Bloc Party's lead guitarist) DOES stand out.

You're absolutely right, I clearly have no grasp on the concept of life simply because I'm criticizing your post. no expression

Him criticizing Green Day in one interview doesn't disprove the fact that he is indeed a modest guy. He doesn't believe Green Day was genuine with their political anti-American sentiments and he just said so; there's nothing wrong with that. More importantly, there's nothing pompous or pretentious about it either.

Not a Korn fan, but I'll take your word that it's a lyrically affecting song for you. Don't think it'd scare me if I knew why you liked it, I'm a little curious.

wicker_man
The fact that they're British doesn't make them sound like Kele Okereke imo. For your information I'm not British. I see what you're getting at by naming those guitarists and in my opinion, Russell Lissack (Bloc Party's lead guitarist) DOES stand out.

Really how does he stand out? I've yet to hear a guitar solo that doesn't seem to be the product of 'following the manual'. And The Beatles, The Sex Pistols and The Clash had a massive influence on BOTH sides of the Atlantic.

You're absolutely right, I clearly have no grasp on the concept of life simply because I'm criticizing your post. no expression

I know I'm right, I think I proved that in my previous post on this matter.

Him criticizing Green Day in one interview doesn't disprove the fact that he is indeed a modest guy. He doesn't believe Green Day was genuine with their political anti-American sentiments and he just said so; there's nothing wrong with that. More importantly, there's nothing pompous or pretentious about it either.

And he knows Billy, Tre and Mike that well enough to make those assumptions? To be honest I see it as an attack on Green Days popularity and nothing more. Read his article and then try telling me it's more than sour grapes.

Not a Korn fan, but I'll take your word that it's a lyrically affecting song for you. Don't think it'd scare me if I knew why you liked it, I'm a little curious.

Just read up on why I mentioned that song that's all I ask. Believe me if that scenario happend to me the last thing I'd be doing is turning it into a song. Puts Bloc Partys whining into perspective.

SnakeEyes
I'm not saying he's on par with The Beatles (or The Sex Pistols or the Clash), I'm saying that among Bloc Party's genre, I can definitely tell that it is indeed him playing. I don't see why you keep bringing up those bands, it doesn't mean anything. And as for your "following the manual" comment, that just makes me question yet again whether or not you've heard the band.

You quite literally proved nothing.

And you know Kele Okereke well enough to make those assumptions? See how dumb it is to use that argument? He was stating his opinion about what the band's been doing lately, as I've already said. If YOU see it an attack on Green Day's popularity, then so be it.

I've read the lyrics for "Daddy." It doesn't put Bloc Party's "whining" into perspective; the bands are totally different. Not even comparable imo; apples and oranges. Regardless, you seem like the kind of guy who simply doesn't like Bloc Party's sound, therefore you try to justify your opinion of them being bad by critiquing the aspects of them that you know nothing about in the first place.

chillmeistergen
I thought their first album was alright (just alright). Since then, it's gone down hill for me, like - vert ramp down hill.

wicker_man
DELETED

wicker_man
I'm not saying he's on par with The Beatles (or The Sex Pistols or the Clash), I'm saying that among Bloc Party's genre, I can definitely tell that it is indeed him playing. I don't see why you keep bringing up those bands, it doesn't mean anything. And as for your "following the manual" comment, that just makes me question yet again whether or not you've heard the band.

You quite literally proved nothing.

And you know Kele Okereke well enough to make those assumptions? See how dumb it is to use that argument? He was stating his opinion about what the band's been doing lately, as I've already said. If YOU see it an attack on Green Day's popularity, then so be it.

I've read the lyrics for "Daddy." It doesn't put Bloc Party's "whining" into perspective; the bands are totally different. Not even comparable imo; apples and oranges. Regardless, you seem like the kind of guy who simply doesn't like Bloc Party's sound, therefore you try to justify your opinion of them being bad by critiquing the aspects of them that you know nothing about in the first place.

Your post presents no 'food for thought' it merely sounds the work of a Bloc Party fanboy. Come back when you stop making snide remarks and give me something to mull over.

papabeard
You guys are never going to agree, not to be judgemental but someone who is a fan of ackercocke and korn is never going to really enjoy a band like bloc party that much.

chillmeistergen
He also reckons that Radiohead are horrible to listen to. Just saying.

wicker_man
Originally posted by papabeard
You guys are never going to agree, not to be judgemental but someone who is a fan of ackercocke and korn is never going to really enjoy a band like bloc party that much.

You're right I'm not a fan of Bloc Party, but I am partial to similar acts but Metal is my number one love. And yes Radiohead are cancer to my ears, but then again I see what you're getting at here.

Eon Blue
You've not heard anyone like Kele? I take it your not British then? For bands like Bloc Party there are ten to a penny - listein to Kasabian, Cold Play, Kasier Chiefs hell even Scouting For Girls.
I never said guitarists need to be top of their class, take a look at The Beatles, The Sex Pistols, The Clash et. all hardly great guitarists but they still managed to stand out and make names for themselves.

I didn't lose any credibility with you, because I never had any with you to begin with - what you're going to make a judgement on me on one topic? If you did then you're obviously a child with no real grasp on the concept of life yet.

Oh and if he's so modest why did he throw a hissy fit when Green Day were making the political airwaves with American Idiot, that interview alone made me realise he had an ego that was underthreat.

Sorry but there lyrics don't do anything for me, not in the same way as KoRn's Daddy, probably have no idea why I'm referring to this song - might scare you a bit if I told you.

What a douchebag.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.