Let's Talk about Two-Face: Is he evil, relatable, understandable, what?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Da Joker
Obviously this thread is the spawn of the Joker thread currently right below it.

Basically, I've always thought Two-Face had an understandable engine that drives him because here's this guy who's going to try to abide by the law and help the world, only to have his life ripped apart.

SelinaAndBruce
I don't think I could classify Two Face as evil. He essentially is nothing but a slave to duality and the coin. He has no morality of his own, and therefore cannot be good or evil in my opinion. He doesn't even seem responsible for his decisions for the most part as he only acts according to what a coin toss decides. I guess one could argue that him deciding to use the coin to make the decision makes him evil but I wouldn't even say that because there is an equal chance for good as there is for evil so in theory it sounds pretty fair.

atharpina
alla this trying to label characters meant to be seen as insane good or evil seems a lil.... difficult

Da Joker
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I don't think I could classify Two Face as evil. He essentially is nothing but a slave to duality and the coin. He has no morality of his own, and therefore cannot be good or evil in my opinion. He doesn't even seem responsible for his decisions for the most part as he only acts according to what a coin toss decides. I guess one could argue that him deciding to use the coin to make the decision makes him evil but I wouldn't even say that because there is an equal chance for good as there is for evil so in theory it sounds pretty fair.

100% agree. He's been damaged so far that he's relying on something completely random to help him make decisions. He's not particularly evil, because he still has feelings, but he's not the most innocent person anymore, either.

Neo Darkhalen
Two Face was just after revenge for those responsible for his "family's" death.

As he said the only fair justice in the world is a toss of a coin, unbiased totally by chance...i mean if he was really evil he would have killed the boy from the get go, or tossed the coin for him first, he would have also killed the cop he let live, and killed the joker as soon as he gave him his gun...in effect he was letting fate decide.

Toku King
I think that Two Face, by the definition, is evil, but he's a tragic and understandable evil.

Mr Parker
The two face in the 90's cartoon show and in The Dark Knight was relatable.The one in Batman forever was stupid.Thats why I really loved the dark knight cause he was believeable and relatable just like in the 90's toon show.you could understand him and his actions unlike in Batman Forever and he made you feel sympathy for him.

Da Joker
Originally posted by Toku King
I think that Two Face, by the definition, is evil, but he's a tragic and understandable evil.

I want to know, what makes you see him as being evil?

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Da Joker

He does evil things, even though he only does so because the coin tells him to...

Based on the fact that he does evil things, he's evil, but he's not "Riddler" evil, or "Bane" evil, and definitely not "Joker" evil...

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Toku King

That's a good assessment. I've always thought that about him

Toku King
Originally posted by Da Joker

Killing, maiming, and creating overall chaos in the name of a misused principle.

Da Joker
I can understand that, especially if you take the comic book version into account. And that's why I think he's right up there with the Joker. There's just something about Two-Face that makes him relatable, and that's why he was so fun to see in TDK.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Bat Dude
He does evil things, even though he only does so because the coin tells him to...

Based on the fact that he does evil things, he's evil, but he's not "Riddler" evil, or "Bane" evil, and definitely not "Joker" evil...

good point.

Da Joker
It's basically like a good man is trapped inside but the good part of him is unable to get out, and his more evil side is always dominant, hence why he's always making decisions based on the coin.

batmanfan136
i agree with most people that two-face is not real evil its just theres a side of him that does evil things that he can not control

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Bat Dude

Everyone does evil things. What makes someone truly evil IMO is are they more prone to do something evil than something good. The Joker? Yes. He's going to do something evil in fact doing something good probably disgusts him to his core. Two Face? He's not more prone to evil anymore than he is prone to do good. There's 50/50 chance that he will commit either action. So IMO he's not evil, nor is he good. He just is a slave to the coin and duality and it makes the decisions. He makes none of them. The only decision he made is to follow the outcome of the coin because it is fair. And he has gone against it I do believe at one point in the comics he let Batman live even though the coin instructed him to kill him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.