deplorable reflexes or terrible plot hole?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Man of Christ
Darth maul, juyo expert, saber staff extrodinare, tera kasi master, martial arts perfectioner. all of these fields require EXCELLENT reflexes. in such case why was he so easily slain when kenobi came out of the pit?

when obi wan jumped up and retrieved qui gon's lightsaber, darth maul had ample time to do to kenobi what kenobi did to anakin. i say this because as obi wan won with the higher ground so did maul but maul didnt take advantage of it.

i find it hard to buy into that whole notion of maul being supprised because sith i think are taught to expect the unexpected and to be prepared for sudden attacks. why didnt maul do likewise? bad relfexes or terrible plot hole.

Tangible God
Juyo? Dreaded EU.

But yeah, it was a terrible plot hole. They needed a way to kill Maul, and the whole "took him by surprise" bit didn't fool by 10 year old cousin when he saw it.

The post-movie comics and novels didn't exactly do much to stifle Maul's skills though. If they'd made him out to suck more, we'd all be a little less pissed.

queeq
Hehehe

sweersa
Originally posted by Tangible God
Juyo? Dreaded EU.

But yeah, it was a terrible plot hole. They needed a way to kill Maul, and the whole "took him by surprise" bit didn't fool by 10 year old cousin when he saw it.

The post-movie comics and novels didn't exactly do much to stifle Maul's skills though. If they'd made him out to suck more, we'd all be a little less pissed.

As much as everyone liked Maul. He NEEDED to die in I. It isn't like Maul had the brains or skills to lead the Separatists like Dooku in II and so on.

General G
Yeah, but the way he died was unneeded, his death was needed, but I'm sure they could have thought up some way where Maul didn't die in such a pansy way, it would have been better. A more acceptable death is all that is being asked for.

queeq
Flames. That'd been nice. His demonic face in flames.

sweersa
Originally posted by queeq
Flames. That'd been nice. His demonic face in flames.

We sort of get that with Anakin in ROTS. Maybe show Mauls half body still alive falling into some sort of energy in that pit that burns him to dead while he is semi alive?

Lord Knightfa11
that's taking it too far. More along the lines of him looking down at obi 1, qui gon slowly lifts himself from where he is lying, and rushes maul from behind, knocking them both into the pit.

queeq
Originally posted by sweersa
We sort of get that with Anakin in ROTS. Maybe show Mauls half body still alive falling into some sort of energy in that pit that burns him to dead while he is semi alive?

That doesn't solve the problem.

sweersa
That doesn't solve the problem.

What problem?

Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
that's taking it too far. More along the lines of him looking down at obi 1, qui gon slowly lifts himself from where he is lying, and rushes maul from behind, knocking them both into the pit.

Qui-Gon getting up after being stabbed like that? That is far-fetched...even for a SW movie. Him talking minutes after is worse enough.

Plus Obi-Wan wouldn't have ever talked to Qui-Gon about Anakin.

Lord Knightfa11
I don't know... what about when The terminator gets like blown apart and shot through like 8 times and keeps going?

And i'm not saying he needs to like get up and run, just get up enough to trip into maul, forcing him off the cliffzorz. then obi wan could catch him as he was falling, talk to him about anakin, and then drop him.

Lord Knightfa11
happy? smile

Tangible God
Oh that Gui-Gon, always using his stealth capabilities to sneak up on Maul who's got him dead in sight with both his eyes and the Force. What crazy shenanigans will he get up to next?

Jack Daniels
beer..?

Lord Knightfa11
well its better then o look obi wans jumping! err um... let me get out my frickin gameboy and play for 20 minutes. SLASH! omg what u do obi? I am in half! wee.... i can see my own butt! oooo

Tangible God
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
beer..? No, I said coffee. C-O-...

JediRobin23
Maul got cocky. He thought he had Obiwan, and led his guard down. Maul forgot about Quigons lightsaber, so Maul thought there was no threat to himself.

Jack Daniels
Originally posted by Tangible God
No, I said coffee. C-O-...
my bad..lol

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Maul got cocky. He thought he had Obiwan, and led his guard down. Maul forgot about Quigons lightsaber, so Maul thought there was no threat to himself.

This is the overused, underworking explanation.

queeq
It's the one we have. Sad, isn't it? laughing out loud

sweersa
It's the one we have. Sad, isn't it? laughing out loud

Yet very plausible, Maul was young.

truejedi
What problem?

Qui-Gon getting up after being stabbed like that? That is far-fetched...even for a SW movie. Him talking minutes after is worse enough.

Plus Obi-Wan wouldn't have ever talked to Qui-Gon about Anakin.

he could just force shove him from behind. He wouldn't at all be ready for that.

queeq
Force shove...??? *makes note*

sweersa

Hahaha.

Ahsoka Tano

You should see 'force masturbate'.

It's considered rape among the Jedi.

Jack Daniels
WTF? am I gonna have to post another pic of wifeys cleavage to get you guys to go find a wife? then again it might give u more reason to talk mother thumb and her four sons...lol...go get a chic and quit with the whackin talk! eww..lol...

queeq
Originally posted by Ahsoka Tano

How does that work exactly?

Jack Daniels
your bad queeq...lol

queeq
*Han Solo voice* I know...

Jack Daniels
no queeq you cant have my bud light...lol SW quote and budweiser quote..lol..anyone get it?

queeq
Nope. But thanks for explaining the joke, sign of a great joke... wink

Bardock42
As much as everyone liked Maul. He NEEDED to die in I. It isn't like Maul had the brains or skills to lead the Separatists like Dooku in II and so on.

Don't really think so. Even if you think Dooku was necessary, Maul wouldn't have had to die.

sweersa
Originally posted by Bardock42
Don't really think so. Even if you think Dooku was necessary, Maul wouldn't have had to die.

Only two Sith there are, no more, no less, a master, and an apprentice. Dooku and Maul couldn't co-exist as Sith, and Palpatine obviously can't be killed off in the Prequels.

Bardock42
Only two Sith there are, no more, no less, a master, and an apprentice. Dooku and Maul couldn't co-exist as Sith, and Palpatine obviously can't be killed off in the Prequels.

Multiple ways to avoid that. One would be not to put that rule in. The other would be Dooku not being a Sith apprentice but a Dark Jedi. Third would be Sidious being an arrogant **** and not giving a damn. It's absolutley not necessary that Maul died...

sweersa
Multiple ways to avoid that. One would be not to put that rule in. The other would be Dooku not being a Sith apprentice but a Dark Jedi. Third would be Sidious being an arrogant **** and not giving a damn. It's absolutley not necessary that Maul died...

Dooku be a Dark Jedi? Nah. It worked out well how it was. Sometimes the tip of the iceberg is the best.

Bardock42
Dooku be a Dark Jedi? Nah. It worked out well how it was. Sometimes the tip of the iceberg is the best. Well, it didn't really. But I guess opinions and that.

sweersa
Well, it didn't really. But I guess opinions and that.

Can't change it unless you are George Lucas.

Bardock42
Can't change it unless you are George Lucas. Nah, I write my own PT, and then I pretend it's canon...muhahahahahah!

sweersa
Nah, I write my own PT, and then I pretend it's canon...muhahahahahah!

lol A lot of the older fans have the problem of thinking Star Wars is theirs becuase of their childhood when in fact it is all Lucas.'

jaden101
i think a much better way to have him die would've been to have him fail his mission and then Sidious kill him for being weak

Bardock42
lol A lot of the older fans have the problem of thinking Star Wars is theirs becuase of their childhood when in fact it is all Lucas.' Meh, it's kinda everyone's...sure Lucas has the rights as of now and can do what he wants with it (not that he can stop fan fiction, etc.). But he's going to die sometime and Star Wars is not going to die with him. I understand the concept of canon is important to put in order in debates, but really, personally everyone can think of Star Wars what they want, and if they can convince enough people that what they think of Star Wars is better than what Lucas is then people will start rather talking about that. Anyways, copyright and such is a very complicated thing and canon even more so, but I am not sure why we are talking about this (actually I do hace an idea). Anyways, Maul's feat on screen was kinda badly done, but there are things that are hard to portray evem with modern CGI, so I don't mind it that much, I just dislike that the second coolest character of TPM was killed off, imo, unnecessarily.

sweersa
Meh, it's kinda everyone's...sure Lucas has the rights as of now and can do what he wants with it (not that he can stop fan fiction, etc.). But he's going to die sometime and Star Wars is not going to die with him. I understand the concept of canon is important to put in order in debates, but really, personally everyone can think of Star Wars what they want, and if they can convince enough people that what they think of Star Wars is better than what Lucas is then people will start rather talking about that. Anyways, copyright and such is a very complicated thing and canon even more so, but I am not sure why we are talking about this (actually I do hace an idea). Anyways, Maul's feat on screen was kinda badly done, but there are things that are hard to portray evem with modern CGI, so I don't mind it that much, I just dislike that the second coolest character of TPM was killed off, imo, unnecessarily.

Oh well. If everybody has an idea of Star Wars in their head it would be impossible to achieve an official representation of everybody's false idea of SW in their own minds.

Bardock42
Oh well. If everybody has an idea of Star Wars in their head it would be impossible to achieve an official representation of everybody's false idea of SW in their own minds. False is not really the correct word.

Lord Knightfa11
preconceived maybe?

sweersa
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
preconceived maybe?

No becuase fan ideas rarely if ever become canon. Unless they submit them to SS.com and they are integrated into a future SW project.

Also, some EU authors are Sw fans...and Lucas has been known to take characters and such from the EU, atleast the better of the EU.

Jack Daniels
SS is here USH has brought him among us!...jus kiddin ...I hope?

queeq
Uh-oh...

Jack Daniels
surely SS has to have been here looking up on google ss bashing forums killlermovies was at the top...lol...I think I typed in starwars supershadow bashing forum or thread something like that..lol...

NonSensi-Klown
Perhaps Maul's reflexes aren't nearly as great as he is wanked to be, and he's just overrated? smile

MasterAshenVor
Originally posted by General G
Yeah, but the way he died was unneeded, his death was needed, but I'm sure they could have thought up some way where Maul didn't die in such a pansy way, it would have been better. A more acceptable death is all that is being asked for.

YEA OBI COULD HAVE FORCE PUSHED HIM DOWN DAH PIT!!!!! JOY!!!

WE ALL LOVE DAH GG o.o errr....yea.....ummmm....YOU DECIDE!

MasterAshenVor
Originally posted by Ahsoka Tano

I agree with Queeq....How does that work exactly?

WAIT NEVER MIND!!! WE CAN ALL ASK NATALIE PORTMAN!!!! SHE KNOWZ!!!

Then again....maby we should ask Obi Wan o.o

queeq
Maybe we shouldn't.

sweersa
Force what? This isn't the EU thread man...I have never heard that word before in my life.

queeq
Which was the point from the beginning.

sweersa
Which was the point from the beginning.

Hahaha.

I wonder if Anakin planned on inventing any more "Force" moves seeing how he was the only Jedi I knew of that had a wife.

Force twins! *calls EU author*

queeq
hehehe

sweersa
hehehe

lol I just got off of the phone with them. They say they will use that idea for Han and Leia so they have twins...wait, didn't that happen?

Hahaha.

queeq
Err... nope.

sweersa
Err... nope.

Don't read NJO and you will be set.

queeq
Hehehe...

I just got the comic versions of Splinter of the Mind's Eye. That was interesting: the most canon-conflicting EU book ever... hehehehe. Also one of the first EU books.

sweersa
Hehehe...

I just got the comic versions of Splinter of the Mind's Eye. That was interesting: the most canon-conflicting EU book ever... hehehehe. Also one of the first EU books.

Hahaha. What even more funny is when EU conflicts other EU!

lol

queeq
Indeed. And it does very much so. But, back in the early 80s, it was my first EU book. So, now having the comic, kinda makes it special. It's quite well drawn actually.

sweersa
Indeed. And it does very much so. But, back in the early 80s, it was my first EU book. So, now having the comic, kinda makes it special. It's quite well drawn actually.

Sounds interesting.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Hehehe...

one of the weirdest books i've ever read. some scenes kinda freaked me out a bit, like those with Luke and Leia...

meh, well written, canon-conflicting. it killed off darth vader. *Sigh*

queeq
Well, cut off his arm. Luke kinda easily defeats him in comparison to ESb (with lots of training).

Jaeh.is.Awesome
didn't he die? he fell into that dark...hole..thingy... right? nad yeah, compared to ESB, He was kinda easily beaten in the book.

queeq
He was.

Well, I;m not sure he really died. I haven't read the book in a long time, the comic doesn't say he dies. He just fall in a pit. With a metal body like Vader's he's likely to survive. And he did.

sweersa
Splinter of the Minds Eye = An AWESOME title!

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Awesome title, weird book, lol.

Riiiight. I was under the impression that he didn't die too, but i wasn't sure.

queeq
Maybe it's just left in the middle.

sweersa
Oh no SPOILERS!!!

queeq
The book is like 30 years old, dude.

Sadako of Girth
He was.

Well, I;m not sure he really died. I haven't read the book in a long time, the comic doesn't say he dies. He just fall in a pit. With a metal body like Vader's he's likely to survive.

Unless he knackers it's breathing support function in the fall.

Then he'd wheeze to death.

I agree that the jump thing was badly done in TPM.
Obi-wan was able to slash the chosen one's arm and legs off when he executed a similar attack.

Yet when Obi Wan does the same thing to Maul, Maul waits half an hour for the slowly rising Obi-wan to rise up and over Maul's head, land and slash him.

Had he been quick enough, he could have slashed Obi-Wan's wires that may as well be totally visible in that shot, sending him down the pit in good enough condition to hear him scream all the way down... stick out tongue

queeq
But that would have ended the PT very quickly... oh wait... that would have been great. Maul could have saved the franchise.

sweersa
The book is like 30 years old, dude.

Oh, I must have missed something then.

Anakin_the_Hutt
I wouldn't say it's bad reflexes, just bad editing. They could've made that sequence (Obi-Wan leaping up out the pit and slicing Maul in half)alot faster and clever - like slicing him on the way up and landing with Maul already giving the "Ah-crap-I'm-cut-aren't-I?" look. Y'know? Fast -

As far as a plot hole, I don't think so. It's fitting for a Sith to go out like that: Standing over, mocking and teasing his wounded prey - to have that overconfidence be his downfall. Sounds like a Sith end to me.

sweersa
Originally posted by Anakin_the_Hutt
I wouldn't say it's bad reflexes, just bad editing. They could've made that sequence (Obi-Wan leaping up out the pit and slicing Maul in half)alot faster and clever - like slicing him on the way up and landing with Maul already giving the "Ah-crap-I'm-cut-aren't-I?" look. Y'know? Fast -

As far as a plot hole, I don't think so. It's fitting for a Sith to go out like that: Standing over, mocking and teasing his wounded prey - to have that overconfidence be his downfall. Sounds like a Sith end to me.

He was suprised and froze when he saw Obi-Wan upon him.

Anakin_the_Hutt
Horrible editing.

That whole sequence could've been displayed in an instant. As the audience is like, "What the hell?" You'd understand that Darth Maul for a second, too would be like, "What the hell...?!" Before realizing he's just been cut in half. I'm telling you - if you cut it right, that scene would have come out not looking so slow and drawn out. Darth Maul looked like he was going to take a picture of Obi-Wan flying over him, and Obi-Wan could have waved at Darth Maul while he was up there.

Look at the graphic novel, Episode I Adventures - the chapter where Obi-Wan recounts his version of events. Look at how they depict Darth Maul getting sliced - tell me that wouldn't have made more sense. I wouldn't have his torso split like that in mid-air, but definitely sliced. When Obi-Wan lands behind him, you could use the shot of him grimacing and falling back.

Horrible choice of shots and editing. I mean, Obi-Wan looked like he decided to just fly out the pit, Peter Pan-style - everyone and they momma can tell that was wires. Luke jumping out the Carbon Freezing Pit done 20 years ago looked better.

sweersa
Horrible editing.

That whole sequence could've been displayed in an instant. As the audience is like, "What the hell?" You'd understand that Darth Maul for a second, too would be like, "What the hell...?!" Before realizing he's just been cut in half. I'm telling you - if you cut it right, that scene would have come out not looking so slow and drawn out. Darth Maul looked like he was going to take a picture of Obi-Wan flying over him, and Obi-Wan could have waved at Darth Maul while he was up there.

Look at the graphic novel, Episode I Adventures - the chapter where Obi-Wan recounts his version of events. Look at how they depict Darth Maul getting sliced - tell me that wouldn't have made more sense. I wouldn't have his torso split like that in mid-air, but definitely sliced. When Obi-Wan lands behind him, you could use the shot of him grimacing and falling back.

Horrible choice of shots and editing. I mean, Obi-Wan looked like he decided to just fly out the pit, Peter Pan-style - everyone and they momma can tell that was wires. Luke jumping out the Carbon Freezing Pit done 20 years ago looked better.

We are all waiting for your version of the PT.

It was fine man, don't over examine movies, they are movies, it is all fake and of course all SW films have their moments.

I thought it looked fine, stuff like that happens, Maul was obviously suprised, and Obi-Wan may have used the Force to confuse him or something. Many possibilities exist.

Plus Maul disarmed Obi-Wan and figured he wouldn't be a threat without his weapon, then perhaps Maul forgot about Qui-Gon's saber and by then he is dead.

Anakin_the_Hutt
It was horrible editing - but you're right. We shouldn't be over examining these movies, they are just movies...nice sig by the way.

sweersa
It was horrible editing - but you're right. We shouldn't be over examining these movies, they are just movies...nice sig by the way.

Thanks mate.

chilled monkey
It was horrible editing - but you're right. We shouldn't be over examining these movies

Why not? It's fun to examine and analyse.

they are just movies...

Where's the fun in that? Use your imagination.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.