Footsteps In The Sand - Rewrite

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jkiel1
I happened to google "Footsteps in the sand" and came across this forum. I have in my possession a very old version, which I believe predates the versions which everyone is familiar with. I received my copy from a very elderly lady in my church in 1968 and she told me she had owned it for about 50 years. I will type it here. Others can judge. It is signed Author unknown. I happen to believe the syntax is much superior to the majority of accepted versions. I feel the others were someone's attempt or attempts by several individuals over the years to replicate it from memory. Here is the version I have:

A man had died, and he entered a room where Christ was seated. Christ bade him to sit down and tell him about his life. The man explained how he had been faithful to the Lord. He had some pretty rough times, but he got through. Then a vision was shown to the man and he was asked if he knew what it was. The man replied that it was a path on which were footprints. Then Christ told him that it was the path he had trod while on earth. The man noticed that there were two sets of footprints side by side on the path. Christ said, "I walked beside you on this path." Then the path went on. The road became rocky and soon there was only one set of footprints on the path. The man turned towards Christ and said, "Why did you walk beside me and help me when the path was smooth and easy, but as soon as the road was rocky and I needed your help so badly, you left me and made me walk it alone? I thought you loved me." Christ turned to the man with tears in his eyes and said, "I never left you, that's when I carried you."

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by jkiel1
I happened to google "Footsteps in the sand" and came across this forum. I have in my possession a very old version, which I believe predates the versions which everyone is familiar with. I received my copy from a very elderly lady in my church in 1968 and she told me she had owned it for about 50 years. I will type it here. Others can judge. It is signed Author unknown. I happen to believe the syntax is much superior to the majority of accepted versions. I feel the others were someone's attempt or attempts by several individuals over the years to replicate it from memory. Here is the version I have:

A man had died, and he entered a room where Christ was seated. Christ bade him to sit down and tell him about his life. The man explained how he had been faithful to the Lord. He had some pretty rough times, but he got through. Then a vision was shown to the man and he was asked if he knew what it was. The man replied that it was a path on which were footprints. Then Christ told him that it was the path he had trod while on earth. The man noticed that there were two sets of footprints side by side on the path. Christ said, "I walked beside you on this path." Then the path went on. The road became rocky and soon there was only one set of footprints on the path. The man turned towards Christ and said, "Why did you walk beside me and help me when the path was smooth and easy, but as soon as the road was rocky and I needed your help so badly, you left me and made me walk it alone? I thought you loved me." Christ turned to the man with tears in his eyes and said, "I never left you, that's when I carried you."

You are right. That is a far better telling of the story.

jkiel1
I visited this site a while ago looking for this version because I had lost my copy. I was hoping someone else might possess the same version. I found it last night. I lost it 20 years ago, so I was pretty happy to come across it again in a family history book I had in a glass case on display in my living room. I hoped others would find it a superior version as I do. Thanks for your comment.

Leader
Originally posted by jkiel1

Aww, thats nice.

Mindship
I like the other version better. This one is faith-specific; the man had to die (it was too late to incorporate the positive message of this vision into his life); and it's way too wordy.

Symmetric Chaos
Seems awfully gay . . .

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Seems awfully gay . . .

Hmm...the tears thing does lean that way...

leonheartmm
that would be SO much better if it was the soul of a dead lover who the living person never stopped loving.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.