So what's the story behind Year Zero?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
Why is Year Zero, Year Zero? Why did they decide that year should be Year Zero?

Now, at first I thought it was because that's Jesus' assumed birth date, but no. Jesus is said to have been born before then. Like around 2 to 7 BC.

So why is it Year Zero?

Deja~vu
No, year Zero is not year zero. It has decencies of about 3 years. This is in the Rome Calender, of course which our Calender is made of. Gooooooooo Romans!!

To your second Q: Probably tampering in the religous field...

lord xyz
Ermm, okay. Can someone please answer the question?

Deja~vu
Because there are NO records of Jesus' birth, so there is NO real zero?

lord xyz
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Because there are NO records of Jesus' birth, so there is NO real zero? But why did they choose that year to be year zero?

Jovan
they didn't, there is no year zero. You go from 1 BC to 1 AD

lord xyz
Then why is 1 AD, 1 AD?

Jovan
because it got picked out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_zero

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
Why is Year Zero, Year Zero? Why did they decide that year should be Year Zero?

Now, at first I thought it was because that's Jesus' assumed birth date, but no. Jesus is said to have been born before then. Like around 2 to 7 BC.

So why is it Year Zero?

That nowadays people assume he was born before 1 AD (if at all), doesn't really matter, when the Gregorian Calendar was passed 1 AD was the assumed date, and that's why we are stuck with it.

Deja~vu
ROMANS RULE !!

Just a little Italia there....lol

lord xyz
Fair enough.

Seems kinda silly that people still go by it.

Symmetric Chaos
Fair enough.

Seems kinda silly that people still go by it.

Just about everyone follows it. Standards are needed so that there is less confusion.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Deja~vu
ROMANS RULE !!

Just a little Italia there....lol

Sicilians are better

Bicnarok

Stealth Agent

lord xyz
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Just about everyone follows it. Standards are needed so that there is less confusion. What about the metric system?

Stealth Agent
the zerions faught the clingons in war the battle was so catastrophic that a new calendar was started from the day proclaimed DAY ZERO

Bardock42
What about the metric system? That falls nicely into that category.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Bardock42
That falls nicely into that category. I'm saying that people used to use imperial, and they switched to metric, why can't same be done for the years?

Bardock42
I'm saying that people used to use imperial, and they switched to metric, why can't same be done for the years? What would be the reason?

Stealth Agent
What would be the reason?

consistency

Bardock42
Originally posted by Stealth Agent
consistency Elaborate.

lord xyz
What would be the reason? Religious neutrality, for one.

Bardock42
Religious neutrality, for one. Which year would you choose as new starting point then?

FoxMeister
I wonder if they had a big New Era party back then

Symmetric Chaos
Religious neutrality, for one.

If you can find me a person who feels oppressed by the current calender system . . . I'll make sure he/she can never breed.

dadudemon
Lame thread that could have been answered using google?

lord xyz
Which year would you choose as new starting point then? Somewhere around 4300 BC. When the age of Taurus started and/or when civilisation started. You know, Babylon, Sumer. I don't know the exact date, but it's roughly 6000 years ago.

inimalist
Somewhere around 4300 BC. When the age of Taurus started and/or when civilisation started. You know, Babylon, Sumer. I don't know the exact date, but it's roughly 6000 years ago.

lol

ok, but "the age of Taurus" is just as religious as using 0, AD and BC

also, the origins of civilization date back over 30000 years. You are talking about the birth of great empires and writing/technology that survived until modern day

Grand-Moff-Gav
What about the metric system?

It doesn't take the Earth 100 rotations to go round the Sun...thats why.

lord xyz
Originally posted by inimalist
lol

ok, but "the age of Taurus" is just as religious as using 0, AD and BC

also, the origins of civilization date back over 30000 years. You are talking about the birth of great empires and writing/technology that survived until modern day I don't think it's religious, but anyway, it was just a suggestion.

Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
It doesn't take the Earth 100 rotations to go round the Sun...thats why. What?

Grand-Moff-Gav
How can you make a year fit into a metric system?

lord xyz
How can you make a year fit into a metric system? I don't know. How can you?

Grand-Moff-Gav
I don't know. How can you?

You're the one who wanted to introduce metric time.

inimalist
I don't think it's religious, but anyway, it was just a suggestion.

how are astrological ages not based on a subjective belief as the birth of Christ? Maybe religion was the wrong thing to allude to, but it is just as supernatural and spiritual.

Taurus is a star sign. It means nothing except that people saw starts (which might not be close to each other in any respect aside from the 2d representation as seen from Earth) and were able to interpret pictures.

"Taurus" coming of age is no more or less important than the movement of 2d star formations which we do not have a name for. Its an entirely anthropic construct related to pre-civilization beliefs about what stars were.

Symmetric Chaos
Somewhere around 4300 BC. When the age of Taurus started and/or when civilisation started. You know, Babylon, Sumer. I don't know the exact date, but it's roughly 6000 years ago.

And the billions of people who will be inconvenienced by this will do this just because is edgy and new age?

lord xyz
You're the one who wanted to introduce metric time. No I wasn't. Look again.

how are astrological ages not based on a subjective belief as the birth of Christ? Maybe religion was the wrong thing to allude to, but it is just as supernatural and spiritual. I think Astrology is more of a mind map, to keep track of events like eclipses and equinoxes.

Taurus is a star sign. It means nothing except that people saw starts (which might not be close to each other in any respect aside from the 2d representation as seen from Earth) and were able to interpret pictures. So?

"Taurus" coming of age is no more or less important than the movement of 2d star formations which we do not have a name for. Its an entirely anthropic construct related to pre-civilization beliefs about what stars were. I don't think it was a supernatural belief. There isn't evidence to suggest that. There isn't even evidence that people though the Earth was flat.

King Kandy
It WAS his assumed birth date, we just have recalculated since then.

inimalist
I think Astrology is more of a mind map, to keep track of events like eclipses and equinoxes.

astronomy

So?

so, there is no real reason to change the way things are dated. If your line is as objectively arbitrary as the Christian one, there is no reason to redefine timelines. Like, the Chinese and the Arabs have their own calendar. Guess what they are converting to

I don't think it was a supernatural belief. There isn't evidence to suggest that.

which isn't a supernatural belief? In what you quoted I described the constellation as an anthropic construct, meaning it only has significance to man, and then, only because we believe certain things about it.

There isn't even evidence that people though the Earth was flat.

the flat earth society?

what point are you trying to make even? There is no significance to the "Age of Taurus" outside of the importance you give it because of what you believe. It is the exact same as Jesus' birth. Any date chosen from history as day 0 will have this problem, thus, there is no reason to change in an attempt to avoid it.

Bardock42
If it bothers you so much just call it Common Era...I hear some eccentrics enjoy that.

lord xyz
I see your point inimalist.

CE is okay, I guess, since it is the date that is most common.

Grand-Moff-Gav
I see your point inimalist.

CE is okay, I guess, since it is the date that is most common.

Its the exact same system dates, but with a different name...

Symmetric Chaos
Its the exact same system dates, but with a different name...

But it's "cool" and "anti-establishment".

Grand-Moff-Gav
But it's "cool" and "anti-establishment".

touche salesman

Symmetric Chaos
touche salesman

I thought that was a Catholic thing shifty

lord xyz
Then again, I don't like the idea of saying to my kids that the reason we say 2020 or whatever, is because some people believe some magical guy was born 2020 years ago, and then tell them the lie that is christianity.

Not that I'd think they'd convert to christianity, or that I think them converting to christianity would make them of an evil agenda, but I don't like the idea of a society taking an adaptation of a lie.

Though, I don't know a reasonable alternative, I'm sure there are people here who understand my concern.

Symmetric Chaos
Then again, I don't like the idea of saying to my kids that the reason we say 2020 or whatever, is because some people believe some magical guy was born 2020 years ago, and then tell them the lie that is christianity.

Not that I'd think they'd convert to christianity, or that I think them converting to christianity would make them of an evil agenda, but I don't like the idea of a society taking an adaptation of a lie.

Or you could tell them it's an arbitrary system based originally on the faith of a group of people that was totally dominant when it was created and has been kept simply for the sake of convenience.

Though, I don't know a reasonable alternative, I'm sure there are people here who understand my concern.

There is no reasonable concern to be had. If your scared by our systems of numbering the years the way we got names for the days would make you shit yourself.

inimalist

i can understand that, and feel largely the same way about Christmas

my advice is just explain it to your kids as honestly as you can, tell them your opinion, and let them decide. I'm sure they will understand that it isn't practical

Bardock42
There is no reasonable concern to be had. If your scared by our systems of numbering the years the way we got names for the days would make you shit yourself.

It's a good point. Our years are based on Christian mythology, our months on Roman and out days on Germanic. At least we are fair to our cultural influences, eh?

Grand-Moff-Gav
Who cares...if we keep changing our dating systems to go with modern accept thought- it will have to be revised every few generations...

Don't fix it if its not broken.

Not to mention, all the historical stuff from the last 2008 years would be knocked totally out of sync. Then when the time-system is changed again, all our dates will be knocked out of sync.

It will make it very difficult.

dadudemon

Jesus just called me. He's very confused about you use of the word "lies". I told him that it's just an angry 17 year old who's bored.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
Jesus just called me. He's very confused about you use of the word "lies". I told him that it's just an angry 17 year old who's bored.

Jesus just called me and said you were lying because he doesn't have a phone.

dadudemon
Jesus just called me and said you were lying because he doesn't have a phone.

You thought he called me with a phone?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

lord xyz
Jesus just called me. He's very confused about you use of the word "lies". I told him that it's just an angry 17 year old who's bored. I'm 16, ***.

apoc001
It's the way it is because the pope say so. DON' MESS WITH THE POPE!

(Try to imagine Mr. T saying that)

meep-meep
Lame thread that could have been answered using google?

And I suppose the Tupac vs Biggie-which side are you on? Thread is something we need to see more of?

This is actually a decent thread and not a bad question.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.