Best man speeches...advice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
i've got my big brother's wedding next weekend and i'm the best man...anyone done this or heard any good speeches with good jokes?

any good ways to cope with nerves?...except for the obvious one which will include me getting drunk...as i'll probably be doing that anyway

Grand-Moff-Gav
Don't picture the audience naked...cause that would be your own mum!

chithappens
Piss before going up there. Keep the tone of the speech light and congratulatory. Also, I wouldn't write it down; just kinda remember key points you want to mention. And smile! Most important thing smile

Jovan
no, the most important thing would be not to insult the bride wink

chithappens
Kinda went without saying I thought *shrug*

jadeily
Originally posted by jaden101
i've got my big brother's wedding next weekend and i'm the best man...anyone done this or heard any good speeches with good jokes?

any good ways to cope with nerves?...except for the obvious one which will include me getting drunk...as i'll probably be doing that anyway

Just talk about how happy you are for him, what a good brother he is, and how he would make a good husband and father, or something like that.
Be natural. happy
Smile, stand up / walk up to the mic or whatever, and greet the audience. Perhaps start off with a "Hello, most of you know who I am, but I'll introduce myself again in case some of you have forgotten me," laughing out loud

Be honest, and speak clearly. That's what makes a good speech. Make it interesting, and don't go on and on about similar points, but make it short and catchy, ya know?

If you get too nervous, remember that you can do this, it's just a matter of getting over your fear of embarassment, etc. Drink a glass of warm water, stay calm and watch how you pronounce your words, body language and try making some eye contact with the audience. smile

Best of luck!

BackFire
"I had sex with your new wife."

Then you leave the stage.

Darth Macabre
I've done a bestman speech before...for my oldest brother. I opened with an anecdote from the past, you know for emotional pull, then I made fun of him a little, then congratulated him, then left with a joke that blasted all of my family. It worked.

Aster Phoenix

Things to watch out for, they may sound positive but rust me they won't go over well.

"Lucky Bastard, wish I was tapping that."

"I congratulate you on picking such a fine woman to spend your life with, wish I had made that good a pick myself."

"Hey you could do allot worse."

lord xyz
Start off light, then get into what I like to call "serious mode", then when the whole audience is touched, finish with a joke.

When done properly, finishing with jokes after seriousness always makes people feel happy.

ragesRemorse

Pretend as though you are the Commander of a Roman army who is about to do battle with the Barbarians and the wedding guests are your soldiers. There is a very good chance that you are all going to die within a few moments so, your speech is the least of your concerns.

Use this for inspiration. This movie helps me get through the day.

H7F3V9k-0hs

Seriously though, you should either take the stage dressed as a Roman commander or a Ghostbuster. IF you dress as a Roman Commander tell the people that you would never go into battle without your best mate. If you dress as ghostbuster, tell the people that you wouldn't bust your friend if he turned into a ghost...,thats just how good of a man he is.

your welcome. smokin'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.