Favorite National Anthem

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morgoths_Wrath

Bardock42
I think Germany's is great.

Russia's is amazing as well.

And I really like the Star Spangled Banner.

chillmeistergen
New Zealand one is pretty cool.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think Germany's is great.

Russia's is amazing as well.

And I really like the Star Spangled Banner. Duh.. roll eyes (sarcastic) ...Your German...lol. But in all seriousness, I don't know the language to say how I feel or not.

I always like the one from Canada...don't know the others cept the US..

Though the U.S. used to bring tears to my eyes when I understood when and what was going on at the time when it was written. It's a really great story! It was written during the war of 1814 while a man stood on ship to watch the American colonies being bombarded by the ships and he could do nothing about it but cry as he stood and watched it all happen. The new country being attached by the British. He felt helpless as he watched these little farmers try to stay their ground. When he awoke by the dawns early light," he found tha"The flag was still there!!" The new little country had survived a British army!! Farmers, towns folk, sons and fathers brought tears to his eyes. He wrote a poem about it which was published in the local paper. Later it was to be made the National Anthem.

I was lucky enough to visit the Smithsonian to see the actual flag that this man was talking about. It was quite moving.

Oh I just remembered his name, Francis Scott Key. He was an amature poet.....and yet he made history.

Deja~vu
Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'T is the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

This written by a man that was captured and brought upon a Brit ship and couldn't do anything but watch it all happen. He was watching his home, New Country being destroyed and conquered, bombed, yet he was surprised. These people wanted away from the control of England, their religion, taxes and corruption.

And these little, simple people really were BRAVE!!! That is what makes this a great song.

Strangelove

Deja~vu
To understand the songs listed maybe the thread starter should put it in English and also put the story behind it. That would really be enlightening to us all and cool!

Grand-Moff-Gav
South Africa's is fun.

Ofcourse there is always...

3zuA7xaGZTU

Deja~vu
Can you list the lyrics and what was going on at the time?

Edit: Youre kidding, right??? Your full of shit......hahaha.......Not true.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'T is the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

This written by a man that was captured and brought upon a Brit ship and couldn't do anything but watch it all happen. He was watching his home, New Country being destroyed and conquered, bombed, yet he was surprised. These people wanted away from the control of England, their religion, taxes and corruption.

yes, Francis Scott Key wasn't a bad poet himself.

since you said you hadn't heard some of the other anthems, I'll attatch links to a few of my own favorites.

Russia (USSR lyrics)

Germany

Italy

United Kingdom (though not one of my favorites really, the American ripoff "my country 'tis of thee" always messes with me)

France, and cool scene from Casablanca w/ "La Marseillaise" in it.

Europe

China

Canada

USA

Deja~vu
Thanks! I hope they are in English.............

I did listen, but I want to know the story behind them...Anyone can write, ya know.

I want to see the words and know what made them write those words..

Btw, Italy sounds like German music..which was a big thing...Hmm... but with Italian words.....

The German made us some wonderful music........Such great music!

Symmetric Chaos
Canadian and Russian.

Morgoths_Wrath
Thanks! I hope they are in english.............

I did listen, but I want to know the story behind them...Anyone can write, ya know.

I want to see the words and know what made them write those words..

Btw, Italy sounds like austian music but with Italian words......

they are certainly not in English (well, besiders UK, US, & Canada). kinda misses the point then, don't you think? if you are interested I could give a bit of info but then again Google and Wikipedia are excellent tools as well wink

Deja~vu
Do so.

How can someone ask you to comment on something when you know nothing about where and what made it come from? Oh, and it would be neat to hear what made it come about.

All counties are great and would love to hear the story behind it.

Grand-Moff-Gav
There is always Scotland's!

IKwXu-Kr7kw

Its just us singing about our only real victory against England...however, I suppose its better than some other self-inflating egotistical anthems...

Morgoths_Wrath

Strangelove
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
South Africa's is fun.

Ofcourse there is always...

3zuA7xaGZTU I'm sure all 824 residents of Vatican City are very patriotic.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Strangelove
I'm sure all 824 residents of Vatican City are very patriotic.

lol, the song is more about the Pope really...

I have just checked, its not really a national anthem at all- its a pontifical anthem, comparable to Hail to the Chief of the USA.

Strangelove
Haha.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Strangelove
Haha.

Another thread hijacked to the causes of Catholicism...evil face

Strangelove
You're a crazy motherfcker awecreep

Morgoths_Wrath
There is always Scotland's!

Its just us singing about our only real victory against England...however, I suppose its better than some other self-inflating egotistical anthems...

I really like this one.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Morgoths_Wrath
I really like this one.
So do I, it is nice- its also about peace which I think is quite...mature, in terms of international relations.

However, we don't have an official national anthem- so there are two others that sometimes get played on behalf of the nation.

Highland Cathedral

and the hideous Scotland the Brave

Deja~vu
How can I fricken know what passion went into these songs unless I know the stories behind them!

Then I'll make a vote.

Or are these just Sing a longs..................sing, sing and we are cool?

Post lyrics and tell the story behind them.

ragesRemorse
Which Countries national anthem is OLE? I love that anthem

Scythe
Mexico's and the Star Spangled Banner

Alpha Centauri
God Save the Queen is arguably the worst ever.

At least make it about our country, not some idiot.

France's would be mine.

-AC

GlobalTechDept
America's Of Course.

Rogue Jedi
I always thought Russia's anthem was cool.

Strangelove
How can I fricken know what passion went into these songs unless I know the stories behind them!

Then I'll make a vote.

Or are these just Sing a longs..................sing, sing and we are cool?

Post lyrics and tell the story behind them. um, look it up yourself.

Morgoths_Wrath
So do I, it is nice- its also about peace which I think is quite...mature, in terms of international relations.

However, we don't have an official national anthem- so there are two others that sometimes get played on behalf of the nation.

Highland Cathedral

and the hideous Scotland the Brave

I definitely recognize "Scotland the Brave," and I think you guys should really stick with "Flower of Scotland." Much better than those other two.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
God Save the Queen is arguably the worst ever.

At least make it about our country, not some idiot.

France's would be mine.

-AC

Well, it is her country...

lord xyz
National Anthem of Liechtenstein.

apoc001
Either Spain or Turkey. Spain's tune always reminds me of pirates.

Bicnarok

Quiero Mota
I hate "The Star Spangled Banner". It's to the tune of a drinking song, and its about one night of a battle, not America. I'd like "America the Beautiful" to be our national anthem. Good lyrics that are about the American landscape, and an original tune. But because the word "god" is in the song, it will never be the anthem.

lord xyz
Ode To Joy is pretty good, because it was wrote by Beethoven.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by lord xyz
Ode To Joy is pretty good, because it was wrote by Beethoven.

I think you mean 'written' by Beethoven. Interesting how you always pick apart other (better) poster's posts, looking for errors, yet you make them too.

TRH
Canada Russia Germany and USA are the Coolest ones, I also liked East Germany's, for the Music.

apoc001
I just listened to India's, and I was quite impressed. If you haven't heard it yet, then go do so. But if you want something spooky, listen to Turkey's or Morocco's.

WrathfulDwarf
WORKERS OF ALL NATIONS UNITE!!!!

wpKRd2xQeq8

Down with the Capitalist PIGS!!!!!

WrathfulDwarf
Double post...sorry...hehehe...

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I hate "The Star Spangled Banner". It's to the tune of a drinking song, and its about one night of a battle, not America. I'd like "America the Beautiful" to be our national anthem. Good lyrics that are about the American landscape, and an original tune. But because the word "god" is in the song, it will never be the anthem.

I prefer God Bless America better. When Donna Summer sings it.....oh, yeah....much better.

Ushgarak

Blinky
Nazi Germany's National Anthem was nice.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Blinky
Nazi Germany's National Anthem was nice. The only difference is the lyrics.

Blinky
Originally posted by lord xyz
The only difference is the lyrics.

Right and I prefer the Nazi one. They seemed to have more spirit /gusto and emphasis at the right times.

lil bitchiness
Russian anthem by far. The music is just amazing.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Blinky
Right and I prefer the Nazi one. They seemed to have more spirit /gusto and emphasis at the right times. Or, arrogant and prejudice, maybe?

Morgoths_Wrath
I think I might have a new favorite...Poland:

2nmFHUbVQtA

Bouboumaster
There's a lot of politics on this section of the forum, but I didn't see a thread about... National Anthems! Happy Dance

What's your top 5 favorite national anthems in da world?!

5- Italy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edUiRbUHDl4

4 and 3- Tied up: The Great Britain anthem is a royal one, beautiful song, for a past glory.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfJirZhcOD4&feature=related
The anthem of Germany is as great, and almost better that the Great Britain's one. Almost. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeBYqL8nuSw

2- The Russia anthem is a thrill chilling: It commands respect. And if you don't respect it, they send Fedor Emelianenko to kick your ass.
A grandiose song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMZfXN1UOpw

1- No brainer: France anthem is the biggest badass anthem of them all. Chek the lyrics: Just imagine that your opponent have this shit as theme song: how can you not be afraid while listening that!? They chose well they're song, it's good, and unifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzV7fyJATDs&NR=1

And this is a special one: Quebec, where I live, is nationalist, like, a lot. We don't have any anthem, nor the right to have one, but we have a non official song. And it sucks. Like. A lot! Our ancester were pure badass fure traders and pionneers, and we have "that" as the non-official anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdf9aqRk--0

Symmetric Chaos
Algeria for all five places - http://www.algeria-un.org/default.asp?doc=-anthem

Darth Macabre
My favorites are all the National Anthems on this list.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16735_6-national-anthems-that-will-make-you-tremble-with-fear.html

Sadako of Girth
I like all that "Oh say can you seeeeeeeee" shit.

Especially Hendrix's version.

And "God save the Queen" (even though I prefer the instrumental) as played by Brian May.

I think our anthem should be the theme from James Bond.

lord xyz
My favourite anthem is Liechtenstein.

botankus
Here's the thread you were looking for.

occultdestroyer
US of A!

MildPossession
My countries: Britain, and France. stick out tongue

JacopeX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPmXQwARm2k

happy

lil bitchiness
Russia has THE best anthem. The music is so powerful, that even if you're not Russian and don't understand the words, listening to the anthem makes you feel really good. Proud to be Russian even if you're not. Hah...

It commands respect.

Роooooссияяя священная наша держава...
ла ла ла ла ла ла лаааааааа

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMZfXN1UOpw

I don't know all the words, so I replaced the rest of the anthem with la la la (ла ла ла ). happy

occultdestroyer
Just listened to Turkey's anthem.

I almost shit my pants.

lil bitchiness
^^ Haha!

Here is nice one, Scotish national anthem. I like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnKkN-DjXt8

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.