Official Canadian Federal Election 2008 Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Aster Phoenix
Since the US got one, here's one for us.

We are just over a month till we go to the polls.

So feel free to discuss your opinions over the leaders and the issues surrounding this upcoming and important election.

sithsaber408
http://bp1.blogger.com/_eeBrCFDUUOc/R8hIQsrV9AI/AAAAAAAAAOk/NzKq9FwsbTc/s320/McCainPalin.jpg

Because you guys could use 'em too! stick out tongue

Strangelove
I'm reticent to state who I would vote for if I were a Canadian citizen, but I'm probably more in line with the Liberal Party's views than any of the other parties.

Aster Phoenix
Thank you we have Stephen Harper, he fills the void for both of them.

lord xyz
New Democratic Party.

inimalist
are you from Ontario Aster?

Aster Phoenix
I'm reluctant to give out personal info online.

chillmeistergen
He'll be from wherever Starhawk was from.

Aster Phoenix
Who? And don't troll in my thread.

chithappens
Why wouldn't Starhawk just ignore that?

Aster Phoenix
Can we get the thread back on topic.

inimalist
lol

I wanted to ask your opinion on the electoral reform referendum we had

/sigh

Aster Phoenix
I'm sorry

What electoral reform referendum are you speaking of?

inimalist
In Ontario, within the past couple of years, there was a Provincial election that included a referendum on reforming some of our electoral policies. They wanted to implement some degree of rep. by % of vote, and get rid of some of the first past the post stuff. They also wanted to redraw the riding map.

Aster Phoenix
I heard about that, if memory serves it didn't pass right?

inimalist
indeed

personally, I'm happy about that. I'd prefer the rep by % to first past the post, but it was a total half measure, was going to expand the size of the government and up its spending. Not to mention the power whoever gets to modify the riding map gets.

blah, i could rant about it for hours, it was such a long and expensive exercise in futility.

Aster Phoenix
Well based on your description I agree with you 100%

inimalist
I'm cynical though

Aster Phoenix
In this world, cynicism should be named realism.

TRH
Originally posted by sithsaber408
http://bp1.blogger.com/_eeBrCFDUUOc/R8hIQsrV9AI/AAAAAAAAAOk/NzKq9FwsbTc/s320/McCainPalin.jpg

Because you guys could use 'em too! stick out tongue No, I don't think Canadians would vote for them, they don't represent Canadian values.

TRH
I would vote NDP but It will come down to Harper VS Dion in which case I would prolly go for Harper because Dion is a Grade A Idiot.

Aster Phoenix
You would vote NDP, but if you had to choose you would pick their polar opposite?

TRH
Originally posted by Aster Phoenix
You would vote NDP, but if you had to choose you would pick their polar opposite? The PM election will come down to Dion Harper, hopefully the NDP can take get some lib votes and get into opposition will the torys take a minority government.

WrathfulDwarf
Free Quebec!

lord xyz
Originally posted by TRH
No, I don't think Canadians would vote for them, they don't represent Canadian values. Or American values.

TRH
Originally posted by lord xyz
Or American values. Good One, but in Canada they wouldn't even make it to 10% of the vote.

TRH
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Free Quebec! Quebec is fine just where it is.

Aster Phoenix
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Free Quebec!

Hey, if they wanna leave, I'm not going to stop them.

Aster Phoenix
Originally posted by TRH
because Dion is a Grade A Idiot.

I'm not that worried there, Dion doesn't strike me as the type who runs his party, they run him.

Lord S
I can't understand a damn word that comes out of Dion's mouth.

Cretien was the same way...but at least he had style and panache...Dion's a complete dullard.

Not getting my vote.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.