Saber Combat Tournament

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kotor3

Enyalus
Round One:

Anakin, Exar Kun.

Kas'im, Bane.

Yoda, Mace.

Sion, Revan.

Round Two:

Anakin vs. Exar Kun - Anakin.

Kas'im vs. Bane - Bane.

Yoda vs. Mace - Yoda.

Sion vs. Revan - Sion.

Round Three:

Assuming this is true-to-form melee brawl and no one is teaming up - Bane comes out on top. He's a smart individual and won't be going after someone like Anakin, who has a good chance of killing him. Anakin is very foolish. He'd be true to form here. And Bane is the only one capable of trading hits with Sion.

PS: I picked Revan over Jacen because Jacen's saber skills don't impress me until he becomes Darth Caedus.

Tangible God
I was gonna read all that, but I am way too lazy.

Enyalus
It's pretty well matched. A fun tourny.

Schwarzenegger
If this is "the zone" anakin, the same one that made dooku's decades of force knowledge and experience a joke, i see him rising to the top but losing to bane after a hard brawl.

Enyalus
Peak performance rule, unless otherwise specified in the OP. wink

Schwarzenegger
Uh anakin at his peak would destroy most force users considering he is double the power of DE frickin sidious.

This kotor chigga better do his damn research.

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by Schwarzenegger
If this is "the zone" anakin, the same one that made dooku's decades of force knowledge and experience a joke, i see him rising to the top but losing to bane after a hard brawl.

Umm... Sidious, Yoda, Mace? Did they get sucked by a black hole while I wasn't looking (*bad end of the world joke*)?

All of them can arguably beat Bane in a lightsaber duel- Sidious and Yoda thanks to their uberzzz speed, Mace thanks to his Vaapad/Shatterpoint.

Here goes, anyway:

Round One:

ROTS Anakin vs Ulic- Anakin

Exar Kun vs Malak- Exar Kun

Kas'im vs Obi Wan- Kas'im

Bane vs Dooku- RoT Bane? PoD Bane? If the former, Bane, if the latter, Dooku. I'll assume it's RoT, so in that case, Bane wins.

ROTS Yoda vs ROTS Sidious- Could go either way. They are complete equals.

Mace vs Maul- Mace

Qui Gon vs Sion- Qui-Gon

Jacen Solo vs Post Kotor Revan- Jacen Solo

Second Round:

Anakin vs. Exar Kun- Anakin

Kas'im vs. RoT Bane- Bane

Winner of Yoda vs Sidious will face either Mace or Maul- If Yoda makes it, he beats Mace. If Sidious makes it, it could go either way.

Qui-Gon vs. Jacen- Jacen

Third Round:

Anakin vs. Bane vs. Yoda/Sidious/Mace (any of them can be here) vs. Jacen- Well, this is a toughie, but ultimately, I'm leaning towards whoever of the PT top 3 makes it here. Bane and Jacen also have a very definite chance.

Elite Hunter
Pretty good analysis Crimzon.

Master Crimzon
big grin

Mizukage Yoda
I'd say Yoda or Sidious takes the tourny. for reasons Master Crimson clearly said

Enyalus
Originally posted by Schwarzenegger
Uh anakin at his peak would destroy most force users considering he is double the power of DE frickin sidious.

This kotor chigga better do his damn research.

I said peak performance, not full potential he never reached.

@ Crimzon: Yoda and Sidious are complete equals in sabers? And Mace wouldn't beat Sidious again in a pure saber duel why?

Master Crimzon
Originally posted by Enyalus
I said peak performance, not full potential he never reached.

@ Crimzon: Yoda and Sidious are complete equals in sabers? And Mace wouldn't beat Sidious again in a pure saber duel why?

Yeah, Yoda and Sidious are equals in sabers. Why? Sidious placed Yoda on the defensive, and there was no indication of Yoda having the upper hand- the saber locks did absolutely nothing to aid him, considering Sidious kept a steady stream of attacks. It is logical that the two are stalemated in lightsaber combat.

Mace wouldn't necessarily beat Sidious again because of the fact that Mace's performance in that fight was entirely dependant on his Vaapad, which replicated Sidious' advantages in speed, reflexes, agility, and force potency, enabling Mace to go toe-to-toe with the Sith Lord and gain a stalemate. However, in this fight, Sidious will not have to deal with three other talented lightsaber combatants, therefore not wasting the precious time needed for Mace to 'submerge into Vaapad' and unleashing his full power on the Jedi Master. As you might note, Sidious dominated the majority of the duel- it is very plausible he could speed-blitz Mace and kill him before he submerges into Vaapad. If he doesn't, Mace will win again.

Enyalus
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
Mace wouldn't necessarily beat Sidious again because of the fact that Mace's performance in that fight was entirely dependant on his Vaapad, which replicated Sidious' advantages in speed, reflexes, agility, and force potency, enabling Mace to go toe-to-toe with the Sith Lord and gain a stalemate.

Stalemate? Mace won the saber duel. Clearly.

Originally posted by Master Crimzon
However, in this fight, Sidious will not have to deal with three other talented lightsaber combatants, therefore not wasting the precious time needed for Mace to 'submerge into Vaapad' and unleashing his full power on the Jedi Master. As you might note, Sidious dominated the majority of the duel- it is very plausible he could speed-blitz Mace and kill him before he submerges into Vaapad. If he doesn't, Mace will win again.

Mace was parrying Sidious' blows while Kit was still alive, before fully submerged in Vaapad (or perhaps not submerged at all). So Mace has shown the ability to keep Sidious at bay when even not fully into his form. Which makes a speed blitz win incredibly unlikely.

I'd say something about your Yoda/Sidious comparison, but your points are well founded. It was Sidious who retreated initially, and lured him to the rotunda in which Yoda's main Ataru advantage would be nullified. And it was still a virtual draw in sabers. I think on a level playing field, then, that Yoda would win.

But, that's only speculation on my part, so blah.

Gideon
Your powers of observation serve you well, grasshopper.

What Master Crimzon is referring to is, according to the Revenge of the Sith novelization, Windu's Vaapad only allowed him to stalemate the Emperor -- it was through his shatterpoint charism that he actually disarmed the Dark Lord -- but nothing more. The novelization states that, had "Vaapad been Mace's only gift" the duel "might have gone on forever."

Let's keep things within proper context. Windu was blocking Sidious's blows in tandem with another "celebrated swordsmen" in Kit Fisto, but was forced backward into the main office the second that Sidious struck him down. Don't be silly; the fact that he blocked or parried a few blows doesn't suggest absolute parity; General Grievous blocked many of Obi-Wan's attacks, does that mean that the two are close?

I will, however, agree with you on the big picture. Windu, at that point, was not equal to the Dark Lord, nor was he so weak that Palpatine is just going to "blitz" him. The fact that he continued to block the Chancellor's strikes suggests as much. Of course, Palpatine managed to destroy Tinn and Kolar before "Mace realized what happened" according to the Complete Visual Dictionary. It's possible that an immediate lunge could kill Windu.

It's possible. Hell, it may even be likely, since the Dark Lord hadn't practiced his dueling technique in over a decade. But what you mentioned was sheer strategic fighting; Yoda, like Luke Skywalker would later perform against Jacen Solo, was so focused on killing the Dark Lord that he was blindsided by superior tactics. While Palpatine is the far greater strategist and ultimately has proven himself to be much cleverer than Yoda, I'm hesitant to say that he's necessarily the better tactition, even in terms of a duel. Yoda was, after all, a brilliant general.

Moreover, how does the Rotunda nullify Yoda's 'Ataru advantage'? He performed admirably on the Chancellor's podium.

Again, it's possible.

Enyalus
Don't be misconstruing my comments. stick out tongue Ah, I jest. But really, I never said Mace and Sidious are equal duelists even without Mace's Vaapad. I was just pointing out that since he was able to fend off Sidious' attacks without Vaapad's assistance, he's most likely capable of surviving him until he sinks into Vaapad-mode.

He definitely performed well there. That just speaks volumes about his total mastery of Ataru. Anyway, as we well know, Ataru is designed to utilize acrobatic movements and requires a lot of space to move quickly, fluently, and acrobatically. Granted, Yoda did all that. But the fact remains that he was forced into dueling Sidious in a very small, close-quarters environment - which Ataru isn't designed for.

And this is a silly afterthought here, but I'll let it out anyway: Sidious had a big terrain advantage. How many times do you think Yoda's ever been on a senate pod before?

The rest of your post, I certainly agree with and is more than fair.

DarkSerpent
The only reason the fight turned out the way it did was because Yoda didn't have as much weight as Palps and got blown completely off...

Enyalus
Originally posted by DarkSerpent
The only reason the fight turned out the way it did was because Yoda didn't have as much weight as Palps and got blown completely off...

Right. I took that whole, Lightning repelling explosion thing as being equal damage to both combatants - yet Palpatine probably outweighs Yoda by a hundred pounds and has longer arms, so...

Anyone who replies with, "Size matters not," I will murder.

Gideon
Originally posted by DarkSerpent

And the fact that Yoda was lightsaberless and Palpatine has an assload of electricity at his fingertips (literally).

DarkSerpent
Yeah, the reason Yoda didn't force jump back up was, you know, for the story... We might never know what the eventual result would've been.

Enyalus
And the reason he couldn't dodge that gout of lightning or take a step back once catching it is because the rotunda is damn small. wink

DarkSerpent
Originally posted by Enyalus
Anyone who replies with, "Size matters not," I will murder. EDIT.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.