The Assassination of Jesse James

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Just watched this movie tonight and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was very good in pretty much every aspect. I could've sworn there was a thread for this movie but I couldn't find one. Anyway, has anyone else given this movie a shot and if so, what'd you think of it?

ScarletSpeed
I saw this in the Cinema,

I loved the film, it was simple but a very well told story,

Casey was amazing in it smile

MildPossession
Beautiful beautful film, the art direction/cinematography is amazing, one of the best in the Western genre that I've seen for that area.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I had high hopes for it, but - after an interesting opening hour - I found it really quite boring. Sure, it was pretty, but I was hoping for more than that.

SpaceMonkey
I saw it in the theater also, I loved it.

Mr Parker
Is this the one with Brad Pitt? If so,thought it sucked.

MildPossession
Yes it was the one with Brad Pitt.

T.M
I really liked this movie. As MildPossession said the cinematography was amazing. I also liked the story very much and thought the acting was very good. The only criticism I had was that it was a bit long, but to be honest that is just being picky.

And I am saying this as a person who really doesnt like western movies.

Myth
I really anticipated this movie, but when I saw I was extremely bored. The only thing that kept me watching the movie was I thought it was building to an awesome ending. After about 2.5 hours or whatever it was, it was one of the most anti-climatic endings ever. One of the most disappointing movies of 2007 for me.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Myth
I really anticipated this movie, but when I saw I was extremely bored. The only thing that kept me watching the movie was I thought it was building to an awesome ending. After about 2.5 hours or whatever it was, it was one of the most anti-climatic endings ever. One of the most disappointing movies of 2007 for me.

I guess I can see how you found it boring; if I wasn't as interested as I was, I might've been bored too, but I just have one question: What exactly were you expecting? The whole last act was great imo. Not climactic in the classic sense of the word, but definitely good.

ragesRemorse
I finally got around to seeing this on Sunday. After four days the movie is still as fresh in my mind as it was after just seeing it. I was very impressed with this film. The acting was great and the writing was thorough and well paced but the cinematography was the highlight of this movie. It was beautifully shot and coupled with the score it leaves a haunting impression. There are a few scenes that sometimes feel a bit long but the dialogue and the actor's deliveries are so well conveyed, you are constantly ensnared in a hodgepodge of emotions. Just when i was teetering on the fence separating monotony and suspense the last act kicks in. As SnakeEyes said, the third act is great. It is a very good ending to what was a strangely eery movie. I highly recommend this to anyone that has even a slight interest in the story of Jesse James or people who are fans of period movies.

Myth
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I guess I can see how you found it boring; if I wasn't as interested as I was, I might've been bored too, but I just have one question: What exactly were you expecting? The whole last act was great imo. Not climactic in the classic sense of the word, but definitely good.

Maybe its just that I didn't know enough about the death of Jesse James, but I expected more than just talking scenes for 2 1/2 hours. I love dialog and character development, but in a western about Jesse James, I expected a little more action/robbery scenes. Even the train robbery early on in the movie didn't really excite me. So I was hoping that there would at least be one bigger robbery scene before Ford betrayed him.

MildPossession
I didn't know a lot about him and still enjoyed the film. How could the train robbery not excite you, did you miss the cinematography, it was soooooo beautiful to watch. stick out tongue

Myth
The cinematography was what really made me want to see the movie. It had one of the most beautiful trailers I have ever seen. But there didn't seem to be enough tension in the robbery itself.

SpaceMonkey
Yeah, the trailer for this movie was REALLY good.

=Tired Hiker=
Hey, has anyone seen Seraphim Falls? How would this movie compare to it. I really liked Seraphim's Falls.

rockycairns
Brilliant Film thats one of my favorites, Brad Pitt has very rarely, if ever been this good and Casey Affleck is a revelation.

10/10

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.