Physics in Star Wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

truejedi
The point of this thread is to point out star wars situations that turn the natural laws of science on their head. Besides the obvious loud explosions in space, and the fire in space, we have the main point of this thread. (what i was thinking about anyway)

when bane commandeers his drexl and tries to fly it from Dxun to where Zannah is waiting for him, he accomplishes this by keeping the atmosphere directly around him and the drexl around him with the force, like a force bubble. My problem with this is:

If air was escaping the bubble, he would die, because the vaccum would be filling the bubble. That's fine, you say, the book says he didn't let air escape. Fact. So no air escaped.

If no air escaped, then where does the drexl get its momentum to escape the gravity of the moon? It doesn't matter if the drexl is flapping its wings, that ball of air isn't going to move, and therefore bane and the drexl aren't going to move, UNLESS some air escapes from that bubble. (the whole propulsion thing won't happen) I'm not convinced that even if some air DID escape that they would be propelled, because it would be in effect, pushing against a vaccuum. I therefore declare Bane's journey with the drexl scientifically impossible. (and await its explanation.)

In star wars, we assume a lot of non-science based things are true. (the force, hyperspace, bacta, etc. HOwever, we generally follow that science still holds in that galaxy. If it didn't, we could look at a huge use of the force, such as someone lifting a heavy thing, and say "big deal, force doesn't necessarily equal ma there, maybe it equals 1/3m/a (a very small number) so moving it isn't difficult. The same way with trajectory, or even with electricity (lightning) or chemistry. We have to assume that some things are the same. So the question i propose is: where is that line drawn, and what are other physical "impossibilities" in the star wars universe. Not so much like the first couple i named, (the explosions, etc.) but actual circumstance changing flaws in science. If Bane couldn't reach Zannah, she dies, then bane later dies at the hands of the jedi, end of the Sith order... So how about it?

Enyalus
Well, I think it was said that Dxun was at its closest to Onderon during that time period. We learn during the Freedon Nadd period that when that happens, the great flying beats of all kinds (including drexls) were able to fly off of Dxun, cross the short distance between atmospheres, and land on Onderon.

Furthermore, escape velocity would be practically zero in this case. Escape velocity is only relevant for something with a large mass (due to gravity). The fact that Onderon is much larger than Dxun means that Dxun's gravity is exerting much less influence than Onderon's gravity is, which means the escape velocity would practically negligible.

Captain REX
I thought their atmospheres connected, anyways?

truejedi
did they? that would change everything then. I knew they were close, but if he did ever enter a vaccuum, then his forward momentum would have stopped, (due to gravity) b/c weightlessness is just a product of momentum, without the momentum, the drexl would have to fight free fall the entire trip. But if the atmosphere's were connected, that would make a huge difference in my assessement of the situation. thanks Rex!

Captain REX
I'm not actually sure if they did, but I believe they did.

Was he going from Dxun to Onderon?

Null ARC Avis
For the fires in space, those are caused by air leaving the vessel into the vaccum of space, and therefore breathing oxygen into the flame, isnt it?

Tangible God
An explosion in space is possible. The air inside the explodee will allow for a brief, but bright explosion. Lasers being seen in space though... I guess if the lasers are partially plasma or something (Tibanna gas burning) then maybe.

As for Hyperspace, that's not really warping the laws of physics, it's creating a section of space-time which doesn't exist, much like the Force. Hyperspace is another fictional element in the mythos.

Null ARC Avis
What do you mean "which doesn't exist"? I thought hyperspace was just a name, not a dimension. It is like going through a section of space where you wont be sucked into any gravity wells or smash into any stars at faster than the speed of light. a lot faster.

Tangible God
I heard before that HYPERspace is different from NORMAL space, as in two different planes of the Universe.

MasterAshenVor
Wrong...Hyperspace is traveling faster then the Speed of Light...Nothing more...2x speed of light 10x Speed of light stuff like that

And Onderon and Dxun's Atmosphere DID connect.

Captain REX
Incorrect, AshenVor. Hyperspace is viewed as a parallel dimension that nobody really knows about, just that you need to plot your course through it so that your ship doesn't get ripped a new one by gravity shadows and so you don't end up in the heart of a star, stuff like that.

xxxpoppunker182
you do know that our laws of physics are flawed too right

Tangible God
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
you do know that our laws of physics are flawed too right Yeah, but they're still awesome. LHC for the win!

Lord Knightfa11
Hyperspace is a parrallell dimension that has nothing in it and has no effect on our time. The theory is that if you travel at the speed of light, time passes way slower for you so you don't age as much. So if you travel at the speed of light, you could be missing hundreds of years. With something like hyperspace, in which time is quite different, and then when your talking about different areas of the galaxy which are "LIGHTYEARS" away, you need a parallel dimension where time doesn't exist so that it doesnt take you "lightyears" to get where you are going.

Tangible God
I think planets and stars (or as REX said, the shadows of them) exist in Hyperspace. That explains why ships get pulled back into normal space when there's a large enough gravity well nearby.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.