The Writer's Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DigiMark007
In response to the growing fad of writer/artist vs. threads in this forum (which are no longer allowed) you guys get this. The official place to discuss all of your favorite or least favorite writers.

This is for discussion on the writers themselves, and their work. It isn't a place to discuss individual story arcs, unless it is in context with a particular writer and their craft.

Have fun. And maybe I'll grandfather a few of the existing threads in under this rule (like Morrison v. Johns).

smile

Val-E-Doosh
As long as colorist vs. threads are still allowed...

manjaro
well let me start off by railiing agianst JrJr and and totally painful to look at artwork

The Pict
I'm a fan of Brian K. Vaughan's work. I enjoyed the Runaways which I only started to read about 6 months ago and now have 7 volumes. Also Joss Whedon on Astonishing X-Men made me a fan.

Craig Kyle and Chris Yost I like as well for the entertaining (if confusing) introduction of X-23. And also for their work on New X-Men.

I dislike Loeb right now. Rulk is a mess of a comic, dialogue is rubbish and it's like we're picking up the comic to see who Rulk beats this month. Also Ultimates 3 is terrible.

llagrok
I dislike Rulk as well, but not because of the art.

Rulk himself looks like absolute shit, but the rest of the characters are pretty neat.

willRules
Originally posted by The Pict
Also Ultimates 3 is terrible.

Yeah I just read Batman Long Halloween which I loved but Loeb's recent stuff sucks.

I know he's overrated but I usually love Mark Millar's work. The first two volumes of Ultimates are probably IMO the best comic series ever made (shame the third is one of the worst). I loved his work in Chosen and I'm really looking forward to the Old Man Logan trade once that story's finished. yes

But best of all I can't wait for the, post Ultimatum, Ultimate universe as Millar is returning to the Ultimates which will be retitled Ultimate Avengers.

The Pict
Originally posted by llagrok
I dislike Rulk as well, but not because of the art.

Rulk himself looks like absolute shit, but the rest of the characters are pretty neat.

I like the art. I said "mess" just because insofar the plot is garbage.

I don't really like the look of Rulk either and he has the same expression almost constantly.

manjaro
i gave up on Ultim 3 a long time ago...i dont even know what issue they are on now...it reminds me of the last couple of issues of Mesisiah Complex..or the last stand, one of the two where the art was so messy i coulld barely make out what the hell i was looking at..pffftt i say

WrathfulDwarf

Scoobless
Chaykin sucks!

That is all.

no expression

Faux Smurph
Originally posted by willRules
The first two volumes of Ultimates are probably IMO the best comic series ever made (shame the third is one of the worst). .... ermm

Digi
bump.

WrathfulDwarf
*bites*

psycho gundam
there should be a mob with pitchforks and fire sticks chasing loeb out of the comic industry.

roughrider

Kovacs86
Originally posted by willRules

The first two volumes of Ultimates are probably IMO the best comic series ever made.

...Watchmen? V for Vendetta? Maus?

BUSTER1
Peter David consistently wrote great Hulk stories in the 1990's

Digi
Originally posted by Kovacs86
...Watchmen? V for Vendetta? Maus?

One could easily make his position more defensible by rephrasing it as best ongoing series ever. Still debatable, of course, but a valid statement. When one includes limited series like those you mentioned, it becomes a bit more silly to say that a random team book trumps such classic works.

willRules
Originally posted by Digi
One could easily make his position more defensible by rephrasing it as best ongoing series ever. Still debatable, of course, but a valid statement. When one includes limited series like those you mentioned, it becomes a bit more silly to say that a random team book trumps such classic works.

yes

And that's not even going into the fact that it ultimately comes down to personal preference big grin

Original Smurph
One could easily make his position more defensible by rephrasing it as best ongoing series ever. Still debatable, of course, but a valid statement. When one includes limited series like those you mentioned, it becomes a bit more silly to say that a random team book trumps such classic works. Fables? Ex Machina? Y: The Last Man (technically no longer ongoing, but it lasted a long time)?

Kovacs86
Originally posted by psycho gundam
there should be a mob with pitchforks and fire sticks chasing loeb out of the comic industry.

True. God knows what became of the man who wrote The Long Halloween. Then again, his fall is insignificant in comparison to the spectacular decline in standards of Frank Miller. All Star Batman and Robin was hilariously bad. I can't read it without going into hysterics. It's ludicrous. And the Spirit film looks ****ing awful too.

Digi
Originally posted by Original Smurph
Fables? Ex Machina? Y: The Last Man (technically no longer ongoing, but it lasted a long time)?

I didn't say it was right, I just said that his position was defensible.

wink

willRules

wink

That's why I love you, man.....wait, what?

Oh and by the way, Smurph? Before you get your nickers in a bunch, Y: The last man rocks my socks, bought up to vol 7 and can't wait to buy the final 3 volumes......

Bardock42
Originally posted by Original Smurph
Fables? Ex Machina? Y: The Last Man (technically no longer ongoing, but it lasted a long time)? Basically anything Vertigo puts and put out no expression

God, I love Vertigo.

Oh, on topic, I love all the writers that ever wrote for Vertigo no expression

Original Smurph

wink Yeah, and I'm providing my response to the defense you offered. srug

Will, Y: The Last Man is awesome.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
Basically anything Vertigo puts and put out no expression

God, I love Vertigo.

Amen. Vertigo is full of interesting stuff.

roughrider
If we can do VS. threads here, I've wanted to do Peter David vs. Mark Waid.
Think they are very similar in style. They're like the same guy, except one is more of a DC guy, the other more a Marvel guy.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Scoobless
Chaykin sucks!

That is all.

no expression

Also, if Leob and Leifield ever work together again, I may go on a shooting spree.

no expression

Cartesian Doubt
Would anybody like to see Mark Waid write again ?; its been a long time ...

Like to see Joe Kelly write a J.L. Elite/ Batman and the Outsiders book. Be even better if he integrated Rucka and Checkmate.

Anti-Monitor
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Would anybody like to see Mark Waid write again ?; its been a long time ...

Here...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t499333.html

Kazenji
Chaykin sucks!

That is all.

no expression

I think you got that mixed up with him as an artist.

Kazenji
I notice with alot of the old 80's cartoon some of the writers did episodes

Like i watched the an episode of 'The Real Ghostbusters' J. Michael Straczynski did that and now he's doing 'Thor' at the moment another i remember from Transformers G1 was Len Wein.

Blight
On a Sidenote, I returned a movie from Greg Rucka's Wife today.

Apparently he doesn't like the HBO Miniseries John Adams.

AlmightyKfish
Also, if Leob and Leifield ever work together again, I may go on a shooting spree.

no expression

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t501319.html

sick

Kris Blaze
Blight, how's that fanfic coming along?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.