Best Superman comic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Face
My favourite Superman comic is Superman God fall Micheal turners work on this comic is one of his best works the art work and storyline are awesome
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g74/Vloco/supermangodfall.jpg

Zack Fair
The art is awesome. I haven't read it.

One of my favorite Superman comics was DOS.

Magee
Although not technically a Superman comic, Kingdom Come is my favourite mini series featuring him but all star Superman has to be my favourite, I just wish it was longer.

Endless Mike
I liked "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow"

Zack Fair
Kingdom Come and Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow are among my favorite Superman stories as well.

I also liked the Elseworlds story where Superman lands on Gotham instead of Kansas. Forgot its name.

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by Zack Fair

I also liked the Elseworlds story where Superman lands on Gotham instead of Kansas. Forgot its name.

Speeding Bullets.

I really liked Godfall as well. That was the last time I remember any comic having me so swept up in trying to figure out how it was going to end.

SupezM'
Superman and Batman: Supergirl

Also drawn by Michael Turner, pretty good comic. Loved Kingdom Come and Identity Crisis as well.

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I liked "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow"

Awesome, awesome read.

Raoul
Individually, Superman 217 is probably my all time favourite Superman comic... i'd gone off Superman, and i just happened to pick this up, and fell right back in love with the character... it was also the first time i saw ed benes' art, which is a big part of it...

Juntai
All Star Superman will be among the classics.

Superman 775 is one of the best single issues. What's so Funny About Truth Justice and the American way?

Raoul
*coughactioncough*

stick out tongue

Galan007
yeah, all-star superman is probably my favorite superman series. actually, among my all time favorites. it has absolutely everything i enjoy in a comic.

then titles such as kingdom come, godfall, DoS, WHTTMOT, red son, etc.

tjcoady
Hands down, easy winner, All Star Superman.

Allankles
Originally posted by Juntai
All Star Superman will be among the classics.

Action Comics # 775 is one of the best single issues. What's so Funny About Truth Justice and the American way?

Definitely one of the best single issues.

ragesRemorse
Godfall is really good but, For Tomorrow and Redson are still my favorites.

Silent Guardian
one where he dies

BradBalboa
All Star Superman, i didnt liek it at first but god i grows on you, brillaint comic big grin

godfall is pretty good too

carnage52
for tommorow whatever happened to the man of tommorow

Raoul
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond (both issues)

Not necessarily newbie friendly, but my god is it a good comic...

Eel O'Brien
Morrison does seem to get Superman. Not many writers can really claim that.

As for my pick: Action #775 or All Star Superman #6.

Best Series:

All Star Superman
Kingdom Come
Superman Beyond
Godfall

Galan007
Originally posted by Raoul
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond (both issues)

Not necessarily newbie friendly, but my god is it a good comic... Like you said, they aren't easy to follow at all - especially if you were new to comics. They are extremely good reads, though.

On another note, why do so many people think Action Comics #775 was so good? I mean, the last few pages were fun, but I didn't think it was that great as a whole. *shrug*

Cartesian Doubt
Action Comics #775 is easily one of the greatest comics ever written ! If you want a quick synopsis about the the LEGEND that is Superman then read this. Also probably Joe Kelly s best work. A less than subtle jibe at everything from Watchmen, to Ellis's Authority. Its basically a very metaphoric middle finger at the ninety's generation of comics. Plus Superman performs a heat vision lobotomy for the 1st time. What else could you ask for in a comic ?

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/3715385/10215321

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%27s_so_funny_about_Truth,_Justice_&_the_American_Way%3F

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/2001-post-crisis-reviews/c-review-2001.php?topic=13-action775

xJLxKing
I liked
All Star Superman
Superman Beyond--VERY hard to understand
Kingdom Superman----(The one where he fights Captain Marvel)

Allankles
Originally posted by Galan007
Like you said, they aren't easy to follow at all - especially if you were new to comics. They are extremely good reads, though.

On another note, why do so many people think Action Comics #775 was so good? I mean, the last few pages were fun, but I didn't think it was that great as a whole. *shrug*

A great pay off goes a long way. FC would have gannered a better overall review with a stronger finish than we got, as it is it was good up to the last three issues, BEYOND 2 being the exception but it never really supported the rest of FC either.

Raoul
people are actually saying that Superman Beyond is an integral part of FC, almost going as far to say that it's as important to the story as the central issues.

I think someone said Superman Beyond was FC 4 and 7, with FC 4/5 and 7 becoming 5 and 8.

Galan007
people are actually saying that Superman Beyond is an integral part of FC, almost going as far to say that it's as important to the story as the central issues.

I think someone said Superman Beyond was FC 4 and 7, with FC 4/5 and 7 becoming 5 and 8. Seems like the only reason you would need to read 'Superman Beyond,' is so you knew who/what Mandrakk is, when he appears during 'FC' #7. That way you'd understand exactly how much of a threat he was.

Other then that, I think you could go without reading 'Superman Beyond,' and still follow what's happening in FC. Just MO.

Enyalus
Death of Superman
Up, Up and Away
All-Star Superman
Superman Beyond
Superman Forever

...Those are some of my favorites, in no particular order. I didn't really like Godfall that much, even though I loved Turner's artwork. "Superman: The Dark Side" receives an honorable mention from me.

Allankles

I think someone said Superman Beyond was FC 4 and 7, with FC 4/5 and 7 becoming 5 and 8.

I saw Morrison's reading guide but based on how the issues were released. Beyond came out of left field. I liked Beyond but I couldn't help but feel it should have been a major story for another event.

Anti-Monitor
DOS

Raoul
Originally posted by Galan007
Seems like the only reason you would need to read 'Superman Beyond,' is so you knew who/what Mandrakk is, when he appears during 'FC' #7. That way you'd understand exactly how much of a threat he was.

Other then that, I think you could go without reading 'Superman Beyond,' and still follow what's happening in FC. Just MO.

that's it entirely actually. mandrakk is painted as the big bad, and wihout reading SB, people would wonder what the hell he was doing in issue 7 and who he was. not that it would help an almost pointless appearence, though...

Originally posted by Allankles
I saw Morrison's reading guide but based on how the issues were released. Beyond came out of left field. I liked Beyond but I couldn't help but feel it should have been a major story for another event.

i honestly dunno. i'd have to read it again...

Enyalus
i honestly dunno. i'd have to read it again...

I got the jist of it the first time. But when I read it through a second time, any confusions I had were pretty much dispelled and I liked it even more.

And more on topic...when I'm in a sort of 'blah,' melodramatic mood, I like to read AC 850 and Supes v1 Annual 11 (For the Man Who Has Everything.)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.