Next big Trilogy or saga?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
What do you guys think will be the next big sci fi trilogy or saga, or any ideas of what you would like to see.

I compiled a list of film franshises that contain obviuoly multiple films, all with sci fi/fantasy elements. I generally stayed away from DC and Marvel comic movies on the list for 2 reasons:

A) Kind of a category in it self,
B) Subject to multiple remake ex.Batman

Other comic book movie franchises, like TMNT I added, cause I really don't see a new live action turtle movie getting remade anytime soon

What we have now:

Terminator ( 4 movies)
Back to the future (3 movies)
Ghostbusters (2, possibly a 3rd we'll see)
Star wars (6 movies)
Jurassic park (3 Movies)
Indiana jones (4 movies)
Lord of the rings (3, hopefully soon to be more)
Alien & Predator (8 movies)
2001 & 2010 (2, hopefully someday a 3rd one)
Harry potter (going to be 8 or 9?)
The Matrix (3 movies)
Star trek (11 movies)
Pirates of the caribbean (3 movies)
Teenage mutant ninja turtles (3 movies)

I'd say a safe bet the next rilogy would be transformers (assuming if ht e 2nd is succesfull and a 3rd would be made.

Kazenji
Forgot another franchise for the "What we have now".....The mummy, Theres 3 of them now and who knows maybe a fourth one going by what happpens at the end of the 3rd one.

OB1-adobe
Oh yeah, and I forgot robocop

Terminator ( 4 movies)
Star wars (6 movies)
Jurassic park (3 Movies)
Indiana jones (4 movies)
The Matrix (3 movies)
Star trek (11 movies)
The Mummy (technically 4)
Robocop (could be 4)

I'm sure if I want to count starship troopers in this

=Tired Hiker=
Those Philip Pullman novels , yo(His Dark Materials.)! They'll catch on, I know they will. The Golden Compass was underrated, ahead of it's time. They just have to go through and make The Subtle Knife, then The Amber Spyglass. If you build it, they will come, yo.

And hey, I might be right: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/03/08/will-golden-compass-sequels-the-subtle-knife-and-the-amber-spyglass-be-greenlit/

Kazenji
Originally posted by OB1-adobe

I'm sure if I want to count starship troopers in this

Good idea, Theres only one starship troopers movie imo.

MildPossession
I rather enjoyed Golden Compass. I haven't read the books but I believe they missed out a lot of the anti-religion/christian stuff? if so, that's a shame and should have kept it in.

ragesRemorse
Yeah, i would like to see at least one more installment into the 'His Dark Materials' series. THe Golden Compass was a bit disconjointed and overly confident but i thought it showed promise.

The only series im currently invested in is the Potter movies but i'm also looking forward to the next Terminator movie. I know that if Salvation does well there will be two more. I really think that story still has a lot to offer.

MildPossession
I think Salvation will do well enough to make them go onto two more, surely it can't be as bad as Terminator 3!!

Harry Potter I follow as well! lovedddddddddd Phoenix.

Ushgarak
I did hear a rumour that they were going to give 'Dune' another shot.

Kazenji
THey should

That david lynch one was crap and very boring.

Wolfie
We'll actually be getting Terminator 6 according to the studio. The first three Terminator movies had a specific formula. Terminator: Salvation is going an entirely different route for a new trilogy.

And I wouldn't hold my breath for 2061 (the third of the 2001 series) to be made. That series is done and over with.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Wolfie
We'll actually be getting Terminator 6 according to the studio. The first three Terminator movies had a specific formula. Terminator: Salvation is going an entirely different route for a new trilogy.

And I wouldn't hold my breath for 2061 (the third of the 2001 series) to be made. That series is done and over with.

thats probably what a lot of people said until 2010 came out

Killua
Let's pray for something original.

deathbycorn
I really hope they make a new Jurassic park movie in about 6 or 7 years time so I can take my daughter to go and see it when she's a bit older, around 8.

Wolfie
thats probably what a lot of people said until 2010 came out
Perhaps you have a point. 2010 came out 16 years after 2001.

It's been 24 years since 2010.
Originally posted by deathbycorn
I really hope they make a new Jurassic park movie in about 6 or 7 years time so I can take my daughter to go and see it when she's a bit older, around 8.
I was about 8 when I saw the first Jurassic Park.

Jarek
Honestly in my opinion the best new saga could be if its done correctly, The Death of Superman. Funeral for a freind and World w/o a Superman, should be a anime straight to dvd release kinda like Animatrix just because i think only the goofballs like me that adore that story arc would want to see it. Then Reign of the Supermen would be part two. Finally part three would be the hunter prey story arc where supes and Doomsday get their rematch.

Honestly they would have to revamp their cast of charecters, and make the JLA out of more recognizable charecters for audiance reasons. With todays cgi animations it should be very very doable and if they stick to the majority of the story arc it could be anther LoTR level of popularity epic.

my two cents anyways
FLAME ON! :P

MildPossession
Anime isn't exactly mainstream cinema for a next big trilogy/saga of films in most countries.

SnakeEyes
The new Star Trek will probably develop into the next big trilogy imo.

Neo_Version 7
Twilight?

MildPossession
Oo definitely. As long as that Pattison boy is in it, the girls will flock spending all their money.

The Nuul
TF...will be a killer trilogy.

Neo_Version 7
^ Team Fortress?

MildPossession
Isn't that a video game?

Robtard
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I did hear a rumour that they were going to give 'Dune' another shot.

I do hope so and I've said this before. Have Peter Jackson direct it and spread the first novel into 2-3 parts, as there's a lot to cover. Add a budget to rival the LOTR trilogy; we could have the greatest Sci-Fi of all time. The epic potential is there.

Placidity
Nolan's Batman...

They are going to be mixing up Captain America, Thor, and Hulk into The Avengers. I'm looking forward to that. Even in separate Marvel films, they are going to be putting in alot of cross-over cameos I believe.

Spider-man 4 has a go ahead I think.

New Robocop in the making I think.

jaden101
I think Avatar and District 9 might kickstart sequels...Probably crap cash-ins though.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
^ Team Fortress?

facepalm

Transfomers....

Allankles
Originally posted by Robtard
I do hope so and I've said this before. Have Peter Jackson direct it and spread the first novel into 2-3 parts, as there's a lot to cover. Add a budget to rival the LOTR trilogy; we could have the greatest Sci-Fi of all time. The epic potential is there.

Splitting it into 2 (not 3) parts would work. The fall of House Atreides, and then the revenge House Atreides.

CadoAngelus
What do you guys think will be the next big sci fi trilogy or saga, or any ideas of what you would like to see.

I compiled a list of film franshises that contain obviuoly multiple films, all with sci fi/fantasy elements. I generally stayed away from DC and Marvel comic movies on the list for 2 reasons:

A) Kind of a category in it self,
B) Subject to multiple remake ex.Batman

Other comic book movie franchises, like TMNT I added, cause I really don't see a new live action turtle movie getting remade anytime soon

What we have now:

Terminator ( 4 movies)
Star wars (6 movies)
Jurassic park (3 Movies)
Indiana jones (4 movies)
The Matrix (3 movies)
Star trek (11 movies)

I'd say a safe bet the next rilogy would be transformers (assuming if ht e 2nd is succesfull and a 3rd would be made.

- Jurassic park (3 Movies) talk of a 4th
- Lord of the rings (3, hopefully soon to be more) it was a trilogy...and the producing company of the films lost the rights to produce 'The Hobbit' when they committed fraud and mislead the family of JRR Tolkien (they were supposed to get half of all proceeds, but got less than 10% i think)
- Alien & Predator (8 movies) no doubt more to come
- Star trek (11 movies) bound to be more
- Pirates of the caribbean (3 movies) talk of a 4th
- Blade (3 movies) talk of a 4th
- Spider-Man (3 movies, 1 upcoming 2011)
- Saw (5 movies) talk of a 6th
- Resident Evil (3 movies) expected 4th from end of Extinction
- 28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later (2 movies) talk of a 3rd, 28 Months Later

jaden101
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
- Jurassic park (3 Movies) talk of a 4th
- Lord of the rings (3, hopefully soon to be more) it was a trilogy...and the producing company of the films lost the rights to produce 'The Hobbit' when they committed fraud and mislead the family of JRR Tolkien (they were supposed to get half of all proceeds, but got less than 10% i think)
- Alien & Predator (8 movies) no doubt more to come
- Star trek (11 movies) bound to be more
- Pirates of the caribbean (3 movies) talk of a 4th
- Blade (3 movies) talk of a 4th
- Spider-Man (3 movies, 1 upcoming 2011)
- Saw (5 movies) talk of a 6th
- Resident Evil (3 movies) expected 4th from end of Extinction
- 28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later (2 movies) talk of a 3rd, 28 Months Later

Yeah...Not quite getting the idea of this thread are you?

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by jaden101
Yeah...Not quite getting the idea of this thread are you?

oh i got the idea, and i was simply elaborating on the original post...

i cant think of many other films that might become saga's...

MildPossession
Saw isn't a Science Fiction film either. stick out tongue

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by MildPossession
Saw isn't a Science Fiction film either. stick out tongue

true that...my bad stick out tongue

roughrider
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Those Philip Pullman novels , yo(His Dark Materials.)! They'll catch on, I know they will. The Golden Compass was underrated, ahead of it's time. They just have to go through and make The Subtle Knife, then The Amber Spyglass. If you build it, they will come, yo.

And hey, I might be right: http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/03/08/will-golden-compass-sequels-the-subtle-knife-and-the-amber-spyglass-be-greenlit/

Nope, you're wrong. The Golden Compass series is kaput. If it does poorly in North America, all other considerations are second.

There was an announcement today about the latest director for CONAN.
Now maybe this could be the next big thing - except the director is Marcus Nispel, hack extraordinaire behind horror remakes (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday The 13th) and Viking actioner 'Pathfinder' sick

That's enough to make me think the series is over before it's started.

Kazenji
Really need someone like Peter Jackson for that Conan movie.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by roughrider
There was an announcement today about the latest director for CONAN.
Now maybe this could be the next big thing - except the director is Marcus Nispel, hack extraordinaire behind horror remakes (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday The 13th) and Viking actioner 'Pathfinder' sick

The Halloween and Friday 13th franchises are being rebooted, and Rob Zombie has already said he's going to be making the entire halloween series again in his awesome way...

Haven't seen Friday 13th, but it looked like it was intersting, not seen the originals either...apart from Halloween H2O and Jason X which don't really count. They're like, the death of the series'

roughrider
The Halloween and Friday 13th franchises are being rebooted, and Rob Zombie has already said he's going to be making the entire halloween series again in his awesome way...

Haven't seen Friday 13th, but it looked like it was intersting, not seen the originals either...apart from Halloween H2O and Jason X which don't really count. They're like, the death of the series'

confused What do you mean, are being rebooted?

The Nispel-directed Friday the 13th earlier this year WAS the Reboot. And Rob Zombie did his Halloween remake two years ago. And Halloween H2O wasn't last of the series - that was Halloween: Resurrection in 2002. And they all count.

The point still is, I'm not confident at all in Marcus Nispel making CONAN the next big thing.

MildPossession
Halloween, and Halloween H20 are the only ones I like in the series and only ones I own on DVD, Halloween Resurrection was the one that ruined that series, terrible addition.

As for the sequel to The Golden Compass, it's real shame.

roughrider
Originally posted by Kazenji
Really need someone like Peter Jackson for that Conan movie.

Peter Jackson should do Michael Moorcock's ELRIC OF MELNIBONE - that's a property gone untouched forever; never beyond the rumour stages.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by roughrider
confused What do you mean, are being rebooted?

The Nispel-directed Friday the 13th earlier this year WAS the Reboot. And Rob Zombie did his Halloween remake two years ago. And Halloween H2O wasn't last of the series - that was Halloween: Resurrection in 2002. And they all count.

The point still is, I'm not confident at all in Marcus Nispel making CONAN the next big thing.

i know they've already been rebooted, i mean the franchises are being rebooted. Rob Zombie hadn't spoke until about a year ago about directing Halloween 2, and Friday 13th has only just come out on DVD (in England anyways).

And i didnt say H2O was the last of the series, i simply said it was the only of the original series that i've seen...

MildPossession
Well go and watch the original Halloween! NOW! smile

roughrider
i know they've already been rebooted, i mean the franchises are being rebooted. Rob Zombie hadn't spoke until about a year ago about directing Halloween 2, and Friday 13th has only just come out on DVD (in England anyways).

And i didnt say H2O was the last of the series, i simply said it was the only of the original series that i've seen...

Your phrasing was just confusing - like, they were planning to reboot the reboot. I was just pointing out it's already happened and continuing.

chipguy_okay
Nothing decent Sci-Fi related has come out on the big screen in a while that wasn't already tied into a known franchise. In those cases, I'd hardly call new found success of established series the next big thing. Maybe that movie with *shudders* Keena Reeves could start a franchise. I'm not talking about The Matrix. I'm talking about Teh Day Teh Earth Stood Still.............

Although I wonder who would go see a sequel.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by chipguy_okay
Nothing decent Sci-Fi related has come out on the big screen in a while that wasn't already tied into a known franchise. In those cases, I'd hardly call new found success of established series the next big thing. Maybe that movie with *shudders* Keena Reeves could start a franchise. I'm not talking about The Matrix. I'm talking about Teh Day Teh Earth Stood Still.............

Although I wonder who would go see a sequel.

ewwww...

a sequel to a movie that left nothing open...hmm, could be interesting. Sounds like what they did with The Mummy series, absolutely nothing left open for a sequel, but nevertheless and sequel there is, and a sequel to the sequel...

i hope they don't do that with The Day the Earth Stood Still

MildPossession
The first Day The Earth Stood Still remake was terrible, so I can't see that moving on...

=Tired Hiker=

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Steak Knife

"The Golden Compass" was pretty much everything you shouldn't do when adapting a classic book to film.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.