Magus Soul Sucks Thanos...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Red Hulk
Ghetto Magus Soul Sucks Thanos before he died in Annihilation.

What happens?

vansonbee
Originally posted by Red Hulk
Ghetto Magus Soul Sucks Thanos before he died in Annihilation.

What happens? Is this bait/spite thread for quan? Didn't have to add before he die in annihilation lolz.
It should work on Thanos tho. Even if he was immortalize by death. Without a soul, a body is just a body. Soul absorb isn't energy matter that mr. Thanos can control... ahhh bigger question is does Thanos the titan have a soul?? If he does Magus wins 10/10

Red Hulk
Originally posted by vansonbee
Is this bait/spite thread for quan? Didn't have to add before he die in annihilation lolz.
It should work on Thanos tho. Even if he was immortalize by death. Without a soul, a body is just a body. Soul absorb isn't energy matter that mr. Thanos can control... ahhh bigger question is does Thanos the titan have a soul?? If he does Magus wins 10/10 It was made because of Quan, but not with the intention to 'bait' him, or 'spite' him (in the sense we use on the forum). Just wanted to see what he thought of this scenario.

iceman24567
"The worm i dug up was meant for that fish but it wasn't meant to bait him it was meant to see if he would bite" no expression.

Red Hulk
Originally posted by iceman24567
"The worm i dug up was meant for that fish but it wasn't meant to bait him it was meant to see if he would bite" no expression. I just want Quan's/others opinions on this, not to ridicule him/them, as are what bait threads usually are made for.

Curiousity thread for me.

darthgoober
Interesting question. Things to consider...

1.Warlock's expressed concerns over Soul Sucking Thanos because he's afraid the Titan's dark personality will overwhelm him and the soul of one of the Thanosi nearly did just that.

2. The Soul Gem's track record for preforming the tactic successfully is nearly perfect... but not quite. Surfer's managed to both escape the Soul World and to outright resist the tactic before, and we know how Surfer stacks up to Thanos in most respects.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Magus could pull it off since he was an uber experienced/focused classic Warlock, but I think he'd be in store for one Hell off a mental/spiritual battle doing it and God only knows what the addition of the Titan's evil added to his own would be on the Magus's personality.

Dark-Jaxx
Thanos Force Blocks ftw.

Or he drains him with shields.

King Kandy
It was stated on-panel that Thanos was scared about Warlock's soul suck capacity (which is why he teamed up with him against Magus instead of just taking the gem.)

Well, that was his weakest incarnation. I don't know if he may have gained the capacity to resist soul-suck since then.

vansonbee
Originally posted by King Kandy
It was stated on-panel that Thanos was scared about Warlock's soul suck capacity (which is why he teamed up with him against Magus instead of just taking the gem.)

Well, that was his weakest incarnation. I don't know if he may have gained the capacity to resist soul-suck since then. If your sure about that fact, then so it is.
There weren't any other encounter for Thanos to resist Soul sucking now is there? So no feat to prove he can resist soul sucking rolling on floor laughing

Knowsbleed33
Bait.

Red Hulk
Originally posted by Knowsbleed33
Bait. You've made a powerful enemy this day.

quanchi112
I dont think the Magus would ever dare to try and absorb his polar opposite to his being. Magus was the champion of life while Thanos has been the champion of death. But,seriously if Surfer could avoid this why couldnt Thanos? Thanos will is greater than Magus' imo anyways. Thanos comes out on top.

psycho gundam
It was made because of Quan, but not with the intention to 'bait' him, or 'spite' him (in the sense we use on the forum). Just wanted to see what he thought of this scenario. at least your honest about it....sort of.

quanchi112
Originally posted by psycho gundam
at least your honest about it....sort of. laughing out loud

Estacado
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
Thanos Force Blocks ftw.

llagrok
How well did it work against Thor? 131

The Great Galen
This whole time I was being called the baiter and now look whos joined in...funny.

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by quanchi112
But,seriously if Surfer could avoid this why couldnt Thanos? Because being able to beat an opponent doesn't give you every power the opponent has?

iceman24567
Batman has pretty decent will power can he resist a soul suck too no expression.

darthgoober
Originally posted by llagrok
How well did it work against Thor? 131
Did Warlock actually try to Soul Suck Thor? I know he tried a Karmic Blast unsuccessfully but that's not really the same thing.

King Kandy
Surfer could only block the soul gem due to his experience with Mephisto trying similar tactics.

quanchi112
Because being able to beat an opponent doesn't give you every power the opponent has? For one, I dont think this tactic would even be attempted on Thanos because of his awesome willpower and the fact he was Magus' polar opposite. For two,Magus faced off against him and didnt even attempt it.

darthgoober
For one, I dont think this tactic would even be attempted on Thanos because of his awesome willpower and the fact he was Magus' polar opposite. For two,Magus faced off against him and didnt even attempt it.
Whether or not it would be "in character" for him to try the technique is irrelevant because this isn't a battle thread.

quanchi112
Originally posted by darthgoober
Whether or not it would be "in character" for him to try the technique is irrelevant because this isn't a battle thread. Ok,I still dont think it would work on Thanos.

Dark-Jaxx
Based on, oh yeah, nothing.

quanchi112
Based on, oh yeah, nothing. Thanos' will is greater than Magus' imo. There is a reason why he didnt try it in the comic to imo.

darthgoober
Thanos' will is greater than Magus' imo. There is a reason why he didnt try it in the comic to imo.
Faulty logic quan. It's no different than saying Thor didn't use a Godblast on Supes because he knew it wouldn't work.

rougeredmage
would thanos want to block the soul sucking attack?

if you think about it warlock was able to create quite a good powerbase while in the soulworld. that is while spending most of his time their as a religous hermit/pacifict. imagine the oppertunies thanos would have while in the soulworld.

Thus magus soul sucks Thanos

thanos anexsis the soul world and the soul gem

thanos creates a uber level body for himself slays the magus and gains the soulgem

thanos also uses this opperunity to ressurect as many minnions as he wants to do his bidding.

quanchi112
Faulty logic quan. It's no different than saying Thor didn't use a Godblast on Supes because he knew it wouldn't work. But its entirely different. Cant you see that? The soulsuck would change Magus for alltime for one. The godblast doesnt change Thor's mind for all time no matter how many times he uses it.

Who has the strongest willpower to which this tactic worked against?

darthgoober
But its entirely different. Cant you see that? The soulsuck would change Magus for alltime for one. The godblast doesnt change Thor's mind for all time no matter how many times he uses it.

Warlock's knows to be worried about the influence of Thanos's personality because he knows Thanos inside and out from his time in the Soul Gem while Thanos had the IG. All Magus knew about Thanos was that he was Death's Champion and because of that he felt destiny dictated a titanic battle between the two.

As to the willpower question, it's irrelevant because it's never been resisted through willpower. Surfer pulled it off because of his past experiences with Mephisto trying similar tactics and because he'd already had his Soul sucked out by the Soul Gem before(when the Supreme Intelligence had it) and managed to escape from the Soul World, but Thanos has no such feats to his credit.

quanchi112
Warlock's knows to be worried about the influence of Thanos's personality because he knows Thanos inside and out from his time in the Soul Gem while Thanos had the IG. All Magus knew about Thanos was that he was Death's Champion and because of that he felt destiny dictated a titanic battle between the two.

As to the willpower question, it's irrelevant because it's never been resisted through willpower. Surfer pulled it off because of his past experiences with Mephisto trying similar tactics and because he'd already had his Soul sucked out by the Soul Gem before(when the Supreme Intelligence had it) and managed to escape from the Soul World, but Thanos has no such feats to his credit. So,if Warlock knew to worry about it wouldnt the Magus also worry about it?

Thanos also had experience with the soul gem which includes his time with the ig itself and his time wit the soul gem when he used it against the goddess.

darthgoober
So,if Warlock knew to worry about it wouldnt the Magus also worry about it?
Warlock learned about it after the Magus was long gone and the Magus originated from a timeline where Warlock never learned the lesson, so no. And Warlock has ALWAYS worried about the influx of another being's personality because that's how Warlock is. The Magus on the other hand wholeheartedly supported the tactic, which is why he kept trying to get Warlock to do it back in the day.

Thanos also had experience with the soul gem which includes his time with the ig itself and his time wit the soul gem when he used it against the goddess.
There's a difference between learning to use something and learning to resist something. Both the Magus(Infinity War version) and the Goddess know how to use the Soul Gem effectively because both of them have Warlock's knowledge of and experience with the gem, but that didn't protect either of them from ending up in the Soul World.

quanchi112
Warlock learned about it after the Magus was long gone and the Magus originated from a timeline where Warlock never learned the lesson, so no. And Warlock has ALWAYS worried about the influx of another being's personality because that's how Warlock is. The Magus on the other hand wholeheartedly supported the tactic, which is why he kept trying to get Warlock to do it back in the day.

There's a difference between learning to use something and learning to resist something. Both the Magus(Infinity War version) and the Goddess know how to use the Soul Gem effectively because both of them have Warlock's knowledge of and experience with the gem, but that didn't protect either of them from ending up in the Soul World. I think another reason why the Magus wanted him to do it is because it would be one more ste pcloser into becoming the dark side of himself the Magus.

Magus never attempted the tactic against Thanos though. That sticks out to me still.

Yes,but they didnt just oppose the soul gem but a myriad of other characters and factors. The goddess was attacked by Thanos,Xavier,and warlock. The goddess and magus werent complete beings either which hurt them imo. They were only halves of Warlock.

darthgoober
I think another reason why the Magus wanted him to do it is because it would be one more ste pcloser into becoming the dark side of himself the Magus.
Sounds like a fair assessment for the most part.

Magus never attempted the tactic against Thanos though. That sticks out to me still.
Yes but we see characters pass up viable tactics all the time. Does Thanos beating on someone physically mean that he's unable to BFR them or that they're willpower is too strong for him to mind rape them?

Yes,but they didnt just oppose the soul gem but a myriad of other characters and factors. The goddess was attacked by Thanos,Xavier,and warlock. The goddess and magus werent complete beings either which hurt them imo. They were only halves of Warlock.
The Goddess was attacked on multiple fronts because she had the Cosmic Egg at the time. And the fact that they were incomplete beings didn't have any influence on their ability to use the gems effectively. Don't forget, the Magus actually had Warlock beaten in their contest for control of the Gems until Eternity and Infinity showed up and set his mind reeling.

quanchi112
Sounds like a fair assessment for the most part.

Yes but we see characters pass up viable tactics all the time. Does Thanos beating on someone physically mean that he's unable to BFR them or that they're willpower is too strong for him to mind rape them?

The Goddess was attacked on multiple fronts because she had the Cosmic Egg at the time. And the fact that they were incomplete beings didn't have any influence on their ability to use the gems effectively. Don't forget, the Magus actually had Warlock beaten in their contest for control of the Gems until Eternity and Infinity showed up and set his mind reeling. No,but adding their soul to their own is completely different than bfring someone. Especially someone whom Magus believes is his polar opposite.

Yes,the goddess and Magus were both attacked by more than just one character. The Magus or the goddess would have beaten warlock on his own imo and without the massive help that warlock received in both cases.

Cavalier
lolz at Quan's constant dodging.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Cavalier
lolz at Quan's constant dodging. What have I dodged?

darthgoober
No,but adding their soul to their own is completely different than bfring someone. Especially someone whom Magus believes is his polar opposite.
Not polar opposite, just opposing causes. See Magus didn't believe that he was or try to act "Good" because he saw beyond the confines of the concept. His time with the Inbetweener was spent learning that good and evil are different sides of the same coin and therefor equally necessary. He had a neutral attitude and acted to save life because his powers were increased when he had worshippers and more worshippers meant more power. Thanos at the time on the other hand, REVELED in being evil and acted that way whenever possible.

You're reading to much into his not using it. You yourself said that it would be out of character for the Magus to Soul Suck Thanos because of the potential repercussions of Thanos's dark personality right? Well THAT'S why he didn't do it, it was out of character for him. It doesn't mean that it wouldn't be successful. I've never said that it was a tactic we'd likely see in a fight between the two, in fact I accounted for the after effects of Thanos's dark personality in my first post...

Interesting question. Things to consider...

1.Warlock's expressed concerns over Soul Sucking Thanos because he's afraid the Titan's dark personality will overwhelm him and the soul of one of the Thanosi nearly did just that.

2. The Soul Gem's track record for preforming the tactic successfully is nearly perfect... but not quite. Surfer's managed to both escape the Soul World and to outright resist the tactic before, and we know how Surfer stacks up to Thanos in most respects.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Magus could pull it off since he was an uber experienced/focused classic Warlock, but I think he'd be in store for one Hell off a mental/spiritual battle doing it and God only knows what the addition of the Titan's evil added to his own would be on the Magus's personality.

I've never contended that Magus definitely COULD drain Thanos(though I did say it was likely), I just pointed out the faulty logic of this statement...

Thanos' will is greater than Magus' imo. There is a reason why he didnt try it in the comic to imo.

Which completely ignores this line of reasoning...

I dont think the Magus would ever dare to try and absorb his polar opposite to his being. Magus was the champion of life while Thanos has been the champion of death. But,seriously if Surfer could avoid this why couldnt Thanos? Thanos will is greater than Magus' imo anyways. Thanos comes out on top.

Yes,the goddess and Magus were both attacked by more than just one character. The Magus or the goddess would have beaten warlock on his own imo and without the massive help that warlock received in both cases.
Dude... that's what I just said. I think you got lost in the fluctuating argument. Or maybe I'm too high to say it right...

Priest

Dude... that's what I just said. I think you got lost in the fluctuating argument. Or maybe I'm too high to say it right...
thumb up

laughing out loud

Red Hulk
Originally posted by The Great Galen
This whole time I was being called the baiter and now look whos joined in...funny. Reported.

Badabing
Originally posted by The Great Galen
This whole time I was being called the baiter and now look whos joined in...funny. huh Who are you talking about now?

quanchi112
Not polar opposite, just opposing causes. See Magus didn't believe that he was or try to act "Good" because he saw beyond the confines of the concept. His time with the Inbetweener was spent learning that good and evil are different sides of the same coin and therefor equally necessary. He had a neutral attitude and acted to save life because his powers were increased when he had worshippers and more worshippers meant more power. Thanos at the time on the other hand, REVELED in being evil and acted that way whenever possible.

You're reading to much into his not using it. You yourself said that it would be out of character for the Magus to Soul Suck Thanos because of the potential repercussions of Thanos's dark personality right? Well THAT'S why he didn't do it, it was out of character for him. It doesn't mean that it wouldn't be successful. I've never said that it was a tactic we'd likely see in a fight between the two, in fact I accounted for the after effects of Thanos's dark personality in my first post...

I've never contended that Magus definitely COULD drain Thanos(though I did say it was likely), I just pointed out the faulty logic of this statement...

Which completely ignores this line of reasoning...

Dude... that's what I just said. I think you got lost in the fluctuating argument. Or maybe I'm too high to say it right... Magus was the champion of life while he viewed Thanos as the champion of death. So, in his mind they were defined in a weird sort of way by their causes. Magus being the champion of life wouldnt absorb the champion of death into his personality. Especially due to the fact that Thanos' willpower is so damn strong.

I dont recall you ever answering my question. Which character has Warlock absorbed with the strongest willpower?

I see how you dont like that line of logic,but its entirely different as it changes the character forever which is different than using most other abilities such as bfr,godblast,etc.

Ok the magus that warlock faced in infinity war was different than this one. So,maybe we shouldnt be talking about him.

I was just saying that I dont think the Magus would even try this but if he did we dont know if he could fully achieve this against Thanos. I think he would come up short.

darthgoober
Magus was the champion of life while he viewed Thanos as the champion of death. So, in his mind they were defined in a weird sort of way by their causes. Magus being the champion of life wouldnt absorb the champion of death into his personality. Especially due to the fact that Thanos' willpower is so damn strong.
That's different than being polar opposites though.

And his not doing so because of Thanos's willpower was never stated(making it speculation).

I dont recall you ever answering my question. Which character has Warlock absorbed with the strongest willpower?
I never answered because it's irrelevant. Surfer didn't resist through willpower and there's never been anything to suggest the tactic can be resisted through it. Now if Thanos had a feat of resisting something similar through willpower then you might have a point because there would be some basis for the notion, but at present no such basis exist.

I see how you dont like that line of logic,but its entirely different as it changes the character forever which is different than using most other abilities such as bfr,godblast,etc.
It's speculation that's unfounded by proof of any kind.

Ok the magus that warlock faced in infinity war was different than this one. So,maybe we shouldnt be talking about him.
Ok.

I was just saying that I dont think the Magus would even try this but if he did we dont know if he could fully achieve this against Thanos. I think he would come up short.
And I disagree due to a lack of proof on Thanos's part. Using Surfer's feat without anything at least vaguely similar from Thanos is ABC logic at BEST.

quanchi112
That's different than being polar opposites though.

And his not doing so because of Thanos's willpower was never stated(making it speculation).

I never answered because it's irrelevant. Surfer didn't resist through willpower and there's never been anything to suggest the tactic can be resisted through it. Now if Thanos had a feat of resisting something similar through willpower then you might have a point because there would be some basis for the notion, but at present no such basis exist.

It's supposition that's unfounded by proof of any kind.

Ok.

And I disagree due to a lack of proof on Thanos's part. Using Surfer's feat without anything at least vaguely similar from Thanos is ABC logic at BEST. True,but it only makes sense to feel that the stronger the will the more influence imo.

Thanos had access to Warlok and all his memories up to this point,so why wouldnt he know how to deal with the soul gem based on this?

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/WarlockInfinity-20-08.jpg

But Thanos has personal experience with the soul gem on two occasions and had access to warlock's memories.

I also think it would be out of character for Magus to absorb Thanos when he sees himself as the champion of life who is destined to battle the champion of death,Thanos.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/Warlock11-12.jpg

Mr Master
Imo, this wouldn't work on Thanos after his first upgrade by Mistress Death.

Thanos' soul has been wrenched by the Mistress herself,
and Thanos was still able to have control of his spirit,
he was even able to use concussive blasts,
and while still in astral form, he was able to defeat Death's entire "legion of doom."

That was a badass showing for Thanos' soul state.

darthgoober
True,but it only makes sense to feel that the stronger the will the more influence imo.
Yes it makes sense and if it had EVER received any kind of positive confirmation I'd be inclined to agree with you. But the simple fact of the matter is that there's not. It's a really good guess and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Marvel decided to set some precedent for it sometime but until that precedent is set, it's only a guess.

Thanos had access to Warlok and all his memories up to this point,so why wouldnt he know how to deal with the soul gem based on this?
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/WarlockInfinity-20-08.jpg

But Thanos has personal experience with the soul gem on two occasions and had access to warlock's memories.
What makes you think Warlock can/knows how to resist having his Soul sucked out of him? I'm telling you, Surfer's the ONLY one to have ever done it successfully to my knowledge and he was only able to because of his history with Mephisto. To my knowledge the only times Warlock's Soul's been absorbed he went willingly and never even TRIED to resist. Of course I guess we could guess and say that he didn't try to resist it because he knew it wouldn't work... shifty

I also think it would be out of character for Magus to absorb Thanos when he sees himself as the champion of life who is destined to battle the champion of death,Thanos.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/Warlock11-12.jpg

Again, it doesn't matter whether or not it's "In character" for him to do it. The stipulations of this thread dictate that for whatever reason, Magus has decided to do it. Now it's just a question of what happens next.

Mr Master
Thanos gets his soul sucked by Mistress Death.
Thanos guides himself into Death's skull chamber, & shows obvious control of his spirit,
then, while still in spirit form, proceeds to stomp the legion of doom:

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763495_T1.jpg http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763496_T2.jpg http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763497_T3.jpg http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763498_T4.jpg http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763499_T5.jpg

http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763500_T6.jpg http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763501_T8.jpg http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763502_T9.jpg http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763503_T10.jpg http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763504_T11.jpg

... continues in the next post ...

Mr Master
http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763505_T13.jpg http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763506_T14.jpg http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763507_T15.jpg

Red Hulk
Originally posted by Mr Master
http://s2d1.turboimagehost.com/t/763504_T11.jpg

... continues in the next post ... I've read this comic a couple times before, but I never noticed that Thanos took an axe hit to no effect... smile

quanchi112
Yes it makes sense and if it had EVER received any kind of positive confirmation I'd be inclined to agree with you. But the simple fact of the matter is that there's not. It's a really good guess and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Marvel decided to set some precedent for it sometime but until that precedent is set, it's only a guess.

What makes you think Warlock can/knows how to resist having his Soul sucked out of him? I'm telling you, Surfer's the ONLY one to have ever done it successfully to my knowledge and he was only able to because of his history with Mephisto. To my knowledge the only times Warlock's Soul's been absorbed he went willingly and never even TRIED to resist. Of course I guess we could guess and say that he didn't try to resist it because he knew it wouldn't work... shifty

Again, it doesn't matter whether or not it's "In character" for him to do it. The stipulations of this thread dictate that for whatever reason, Magus has decided to do it. Now it's just a question of what happens next. Yes,the point is we dont know one way or another but the evidence leads me to believe it wouldnt work on Thanos especially due to his knowledge on the soul gem and the ig for that matter.

Uhm, Warlock has been with the soul gem and been inside soul world for a long time. he also had in his possession the ig so why wouldnt he know? It makes no sense that he couldnt defend himself against such an attack while he himself defeated meph in his own realm with the soul gem. And also the fact that warlock knows the soul gem better than anyone.

Ok,so Magus tries and fails imo based on Thanos knowledge of Warlock's memories and his personal experience with the soul gem.

darthgoober
Imo, this wouldn't work on Thanos after his first upgrade by Mistress Death.

Thanos' soul has been wrenched by the Mistress herself,
and Thanos was still able to have control of his spirit,
he was even able to use concussive blasts,
and while still in astral form, he was able to defeat Death's entire "legion of doom."

That was a badass showing for Thanos' soul state.
And that's an impressive feat, but it still doesn't set a precedent for Thanos actually resisting the tactic IMO.

darthgoober
Yes,the point is we dont know one way or another but the evidence leads me to believe it wouldnt work on Thanos especially due to his knowledge on the soul gem and the ig for that matter.
What evidence? What feat has Thanos accomplished that in anyway suggest he can resist having his soul ripped out of his body?

Uhm, Warlock has been with the soul gem and been inside soul world for a long time. he also had in his possession the ig so why wouldnt he know? It makes no sense that he couldnt defend himself against such an attack while he himself defeated meph in his own realm with the soul gem. And also the fact that warlock knows the soul gem better than anyone.
You're asking for proof of a negative(proof that Warlock won't be able to resist). I hold all characters to the same standard, and that standard is they have to do it or something similar to be credited with the feat. We don't know how his battle with Mephisto ended and I'm not going to assume Mephisto tried the tactic. Besides, that was actually a battle to see whether or not an immortal soul like that of Mephisto fell under the dominion of the Soul Gem. So it actually kinda supports my side of the case more than yours...

Ok,so Magus tries and fails imo based on Thanos knowledge of Warlock's memories and his personal experience with the soul gem.
And you're entitled to your opinion. I happen to disagree though because there's nothing in the way of evidence to support it...

quanchi112
What evidence? What feat has Thanos accomplished that in anyway suggest he can resist having his soul ripped out of his body?

You're asking for proof of a negative(proof that Warlock won't be able to resist). I hold all characters to the same standard, and that standard is they have to do it or something similar to be credited with the feat. We don't know how his battle with Mephisto ended and I'm not going to assume Mephisto tried the tactic. Besides, that was actually a battle to see whether or not an immortal soul like that of Mephisto fell under the dominion of the Soul Gem. So it actually kinda supports my side of the case more than yours...

And you're entitled to your opinion. I happen to disagree though because there's nothing in the way of evidence to support it... How many times do I have to tell you?

What leads you to believe that Thanos would fall victim to this tactic? Im sure with warlock's knowledge about the very nature of the soul gem itself. Surfer could reject it through his experience with Meph who we have seen is far less than the might of the soul gem in his very realm. Surfer didnt need to study the soul gem at all to reject it. Thanos took in Warlock's memories themselves who is a total master of the soul gem. I really hope you arent suggesting that Surfer can resist this tactic but not Warlock.

Meph couldnt try to take anyone' soul over who possessed the soul gem. total mastery over souls overrides any jurisdiction he has.

There is nothing on panel to suggest this method would work on Thanos. Nothing at all.

Red Hulk
Thanos gets his soul sucked by Mistress Death.

darthgoober
How many times do I have to tell you?

What leads you to believe that Thanos would fall victim to this tactic?
The fact that it's only been resisted once and it was by someone with superior feats to Thanos in this particular category. I'll give Thanos the nod over Surfer in most categories with no objection, but he doesn't get a free walk across the board and this is one category where he just can't touch Surfer's feats.

Im sure with warlock's knowledge about the very nature of the soul gem itself. Surfer could reject it through his experience with Meph who we have seen is far less than the might of the soul gem in his very realm. Surfer didnt need to study the soul gem at all to reject it. Thanos took in Warlock's memories themselves who is a total master of the soul gem.
The Soul Gem doesn't work like that, that line of thinking is something of a forum myth. Yes you get memories and such but things like abilities and first hand technical knowledge don't carry over. Believe me when I say, I've looked at great length because I'm a major Warlock fan.

I really hope you arent suggesting that Surfer can resist this tactic but not Warlock.
Has Surfer had several confrontations with a skyfather character trying to steal his soul? If not, then why are you suggesting that Warlock can do it just because Surfer can? That's just ABC logic at it's finest...

And again, there's never been any suggestion of things like abilities and technical knowledge carring over. Ever.

Meph couldnt try to take anyone' soul over who possessed the soul gem. total mastery over souls overrides any jurisdiction he has.
The Soul Gem doesn't grant the TOTAL mastery of souls unless it's backed by the Power Gem. If it did there never would have been any kind of contest in the first place.

There is nothing on panel to suggest this method would work on Thanos. Nothing at all.
Except that Death did it successfully to Thanos, and I believe Thanos has talked about being afraid of the tactic, and the tactic worked on a Thanosi, and the tactic's worked on everyone with the exception of Surfer who only resisted it because of past experiences that he has and that Thanos lacks...

quanchi112
The fact that it's only been resisted once and it was by someone with superior feats to Thanos in this particular category. I'll give Thanos the nod over Surfer in most categories with no objection, but he doesn't get a free walk across the board and this is one category where he just can't touch Surfer's feats.

The Soul Gem doesn't work like that, that line of thinking is something of a forum myth. Yes you get memories and such but things like abilities and first hand technical knowledge don't carry over. Believe me when I say, I've looked at great length because I'm a major Warlock fan.

Has Surfer had several confrontations with a skyfather character trying to steal his soul? If not, then why are you suggesting that Warlock can do it just because Surfer can? That's just ABC logic at it's finest...

The Soul Gem doesn't grant the TOTAL mastery of souls unless it's backed by the Power Gem. If it did there never would have been any kind of contest in the first place.

Except that Death did it successfully to Thanos, and I believe Thanos has talked about being afraid of the tactic, and the tactic worked on a Thanosi, and the tactic's worked on everyone with the exception of Surfer who only resisted it because of past experiences that he has and that Thanos lacks... Surfer beat it due to his experience with Meph.

Why wont you answer my question. Are you saying that the Surfer could resist this tactic but Warlock would fail against the soul gem?

No,it isnt. Warlock has been linked with the soul gem for quite some time. Saying that due to Surfer's experiences with other beings trying this tactic gave him enough experience to be able to ward off this attack while Warlock the man who lived in soul world and has had this gem longer than anyone,its just plain doesnt make sense. It isnt abc logic its common sense. You have no proof it would work against Thanos or Warlock but you keep acting like you do especially considering all of the experience both of these characters have had with the soul gem. The soul gem still has more power over souls than any other being. Thats the point.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/ThanosQuest1-21.jpg

Are you really comparing a Thanosi to the real Thanos? Seriously,why?

Thanos has also had past experiences with detailed knowledge and access to Warlock's memories and the soul gem itself.

This tactic has never been attempted on Thanos and I see no reason why it would work on him. You have your opinion and I have my own.

King Kandy
We know 100% sure that pre-ressurection Thanos would get sucked, because it was stated on panel (in the same comic where he dies.)

darthgoober
Surfer beat it due to his experience with Meph.

Why wont you answer my question. Are you saying that the Surfer could resist this tactic but Warlock would fail against the soul gem?
No I'm not saying that Warlock would definitely fail because for all I know the first time it's actually featured he'll pull it off. I'm saying that until he actually does it(or something similar) we can't actually credit him with the ability.

No,it isnt. Warlock has been linked with the soul gem for quite some time. Saying that due to Surfer's experiences with other beings trying this tactic gave him enough experience to be able to ward off this attack while Warlock the man who lived in soul world and has had this gem longer than anyone,its just plain doesnt make sense.

You're acting like Warlock knows everything there is to know about the Soul Gem and that's untrue. Warlock doesn't know EVERYTHING about using the Soul Gem despite his experience and because of that we can't concretely credit him with any feat that we haven't seen.

It isnt abc logic its common sense.
It IS ABC logic. When you speculate that a feat by one character that was accomplished through a specific set of circumstances can automatically be accomplished by another character that lacks at least vaguely similar circumstances, that's ABC logic.

You have no proof it would work against Thanos or Warlock but you keep acting like you do especially considering all of the experience both of these characters have had with the soul gem. The soul gem still has more power over souls than any other being. Thats the point.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/ThanosQuest1-21.jpg

I don't have to prove that it will definitely work because I'm not claiming with 100% certainty that it will, you on the other hand DO have to prove that it's within Thanos and Warlock's ability to replicate the feat despite lacking Surfer's specific set of conditions for victory...

"No Bias Claims
"Batman can beat Thor because he's cooler!" That's an example of how not to debate. We would like to see the rationale behind any claims that one character can beat the other rather than a claim based on popularity and subjective bias.
Also, we insist that all claims be backed up by evidence from canon sources. If you claim that Spiderman is stronger than Superman, then you have to prove it "

So where's the evidence from a canon source? Not speculation or supposition, actual proof that Warlock and Thanos can accomplish the feat just because Surfer can?

Are you really comparing a Thanosi to the real Thanos? Seriously,why?
Aren't you comparing Warlock to Surfer in this respect despite a lack of evidence to support it?

Thanos has also had past experiences with detailed knowledge and access to Warlock's memories and the soul gem itself.
I already told you, the Soul Gem doesn't work that way(it's a forum myth). It's a good thing to because otherwise we'd have to credit Nebula with all of Warlock's spells... including the one that he used to turn Thanos into stone back in the day wink .

This tactic has never been attempted on Thanos and I see no reason why it would work on him. You have your opinion and I have my own.
So since Thanos never tried to mind rape, transmute, or drain the life force of the Super Skrull it must mean that he's unable to right?

quanchi112
No I'm not saying that Warlock would definitely fail because for all I know the first time it's actually featured he'll pull it off. I'm saying that until he actually does it(or something similar) we can't actually credit him with the ability.

You're acting like Warlock knows everything there is to know about the Soul Gem and that's untrue. Warlock doesn't know EVERYTHING about using the Soul Gem despite his experience and because of that we can't concretely credit him with any feat that we haven't seen.

It IS ABC logic. When you speculate that a feat by one character that was accomplished through a specific set of circumstances can automatically be accomplished by another character that lacks at least vaguely similar circumstances, that's ABC logic.

I don't have to prove that it will definitely work because I'm not claiming with 100% certainty that it will, you on the other hand DO have to prove that it's within Thanos and Warlock's ability to replicate the feat despite lacking Surfer's specific set of conditions for victory...

"No Bias Claims
"Batman can beat Thor because he's cooler!" That's an example of how not to debate. We would like to see the rationale behind any claims that one character can beat the other rather than a claim based on popularity and subjective bias.
Also, we insist that all claims be backed up by evidence from canon sources. If you claim that Spiderman is stronger than Superman, then you have to prove it "

So where's the evidence from a canon source? Not speculation or supposition, actual proof that Warlock and Thanos can accomplish the feat just because Surfer can?

Aren't you comparing Warlock to Surfer in this respect despite a lack of evidence to support it?

I already told you, the Soul Gem doesn't work that way(it's a forum myth). It's a good thing to because otherwise we'd have to credit Nebula with all of Warlock's spells... including the one that he used to turn Thanos into stone back in the day wink .

So since Thanos never tried to mind rape, transmute, or drain the life force of the Super Skrull it must mean that he's unable to right? We cant assume the tactic would work on Warlock just the same. Thats my point. My opinion is due to his experience and knowledge here that he could resist it just like Thanos.

Surfer didnt have to know everything about the soul gem to refute the attack so why would Warlock? His knowledge on the soul gem is 100 times greater than Surfer's and Surfer still resisted it.

Your assuming it works with no definitive proof whatsoever.

Its my opinion that it wont work based on the evidence I have provided. Its just my opinion and neither of us can prove or disprove it as it hasnt happened in a comic yet. So drop it.

Thats completely different and you know it.

Nebula never stated on panel that she had access to all of Warlock's memories and simply doesnt have the knowledge that Thanos possesses.

Thats completely different. Thanos has had the soul gem and the ig in his possession knowing the full potential of the soul gem. Its my opinion he can resist it.

darthgoober
We cant assume the tactic would work on Warlock just the same. Thats my point. My opinion is due to his experience and knowledge here that he could resist it just like Thanos.
But we DO automatically assume that things work until proven otherwise here on KMC. Mind raping works until a characters shows a specific resistance to it. Transmutation works unless someones shown a resistance to it. Any potential BFRing works until someone shows they can counter it. Thus, Soul Sucking works until a definite counter to it is shown. No counter, no defense.

Surfer didnt have to know everything about the soul gem to refute the attack so why would Warlock? His knowledge on the soul gem is 100 times greater than Surfer's and Surfer still resisted it.
Surfer's resisting wasn't attributed to his knowledge of the gem, it was attributed to a history of resisting similar attacks from a skyfather level character. Do either Warlock or Thanos have a history of resisting similar attacks from a skyfather level character? No? The the comparison isn't viable...

Your assuming it works with no definitive proof whatsoever.
Don't you assume that an attack from Thanos will KO/kill someone who hasn't resisted attacks on the level he can generate? I haven't seen anyone transmute Aunt May, does that mean that Thanos can't do it?

Its my opinion that it wont work based on the evidence I have provided. Its just my opinion and neither of us can prove or disprove it as it hasnt happened in a comic yet. So drop it.
You haven't provided any actual evidence beyond speculation. At all... so no. I normally stick up for you when people start comparing you to nvr and Trick because your arguments typically have more on panel support than the theories they try to pass off as absolute fact, but now your arguments drifted entirely too far into their territory for my taste and therefor needs to be addressed just as their arguments do.

Thats completely different and you know it.
What's different(not sure what you're addressing here)?

Nebula never stated on panel that she had access to all of Warlock's memories and simply doesnt have the knowledge that Thanos possesses.
Warlock and Thanos have never been stated on panel as being able replicate Surfer's feat. Since Warlock's Soul was absorbed while Nebula had the Gauntlet and we're going to make leaps of logic with no on panel support then we should assume that she knows and can do everything Warlock could up until the time of the Infinity Gauntlet(including turning Thanos to stone).

Thats completely different. Thanos has had the soul gem and the ig in his possession knowing the full potential of the soul gem. Its my opinion he can resist it.
Now your jumping back and forth between arguments, and you also seem to be forgetting my actual point in this discussion. In case you've forgotten, this whole thing started because of this statement...

So does Thanos beating on Super Skrull rather than using tp on him mean that Super Skrull's will is greater than Thanos's, or were you using faulty logic when you made that statement?

quanchi112
But we DO automatically assume that things work until proven otherwise here on KMC. Mind raping works until a characters shows a specific resistance to it. Transmutation works unless someones shown a resistance to it. Any potential BFRing works until someone shows they can counter it. Thus, Soul Sucking works until a definite counter to it is shown. No counter, no defense.

Surfer's resisting wasn't attributed to his knowledge of the gem, it was attributed to a history of resisting similar attacks from a skyfather level character. Do either Warlock or Thanos have a history of resisting similar attacks from a skyfather level character? No? The the comparison isn't viable...

Don't you assume that an attack from Thanos will KO/kill someone who hasn't resisted attacks on the level he can generate? I haven't seen anyone transmute Aunt May, does that mean that Thanos can't do it?

You haven't provided any actual evidence beyond speculation. At all... so no. I normally stick up for you when people start comparing you to nvr and Trick because your arguments typically have more on panel support than the theories they try to pass off as absolute fact, but now your arguments drifted entirely too far into their territory for my taste and therefor needs to be addressed just as their arguments do.

What's different(not sure what you're addressing here)?

Warlock and Thanos have never been stated on panel as being able replicate Surfer's feat. Since Warlock's Soul was absorbed while Nebula had the Gauntlet and we're going to make leaps of logic with no on panel support then we should assume that she knows and can do everything Warlock could up until the time of the Infinity Gauntlet(including turning Thanos to stone).

Now your jumping back and forth between arguments, and you also seem to be forgetting my actual point in this discussion. In case you've forgotten, this whole thing started because of this statement...

So does Thanos beating on Super Skrull rather than using tp on him mean that Super Skrull's will is greater than Thanos's, or were you using faulty logic when you made that statement? No,not with the circumstances involved with the characters in this thread. Whether or not it will work or not is speculation either way until someone writes it.

Aunt May has no powers whatsoever,I think thats a pretty poor example.

Your assuming something would happen with no proof whatsoever that it would. Your acting like I have to prove to you it wouldnt work. It cant be proven either way. With the access to Warlocks' memories and his own personal use of the soul gem I feel he can resist it. You disagree but have no proof as well.

No,I dont assume she can do anything that Warlock can do. She never held the soul gem by itself and isnt as intelligent as Thanos or Warlock who was stated as having access to all warlock's memories while Nebula has never been stated to have access to the memories.

When has Superskrull demonstrated a powerful will? I know Thanos has but when has Superskrull?

darthgoober
No,not with the circumstances involved with the characters in this thread. Whether or not it will work or not is speculation either way until someone writes it.
I didn't see a stipulation that placed this thread of the jurisdiction of standard procedure so who lied to you and said thit it was your decision as to whether or not a thread was the exception to the rule no expression ?

Aunt May has no powers whatsoever,I think thats a pretty poor example.
She might, just like Thanos MIGHT be able to resist the effect despite it never being suggested. But if the no powers thing is that big of a hangup, you can substitute someone like Jubilee. Hell why even get specific about it... do you agree that Thanos is unable to transmute or mind rape any super powered being who hasn't already been transmuted or mind raped on panel in the past?

our assuming something would happen with no proof whatsoever that it would. Your acting like I have to prove to you it wouldnt work. It cant be proven either way. With the access to Warlocks' memories and his own personal use of the soul gem I feel he can resist it. You disagree but have no proof as well.
You don't have to prove that it won't work because the only way to actually do that would be to show a scan of Thanos resisting it and no such scans exist. What you have to prove is that Thanos has some method of defense against such tactics because you're the one who's trying to remove the possibility of it working from the table by saying that it definitely won't work. And why? Because one character in the history of comics has resisted the attack.

I don't have to prove anything because I haven't made any claims, I just keep pointing out how your claims baseless.

No,I dont assume she can do anything that Warlock can do. She never held the soul gem by itself and isnt as intelligent as Thanos or Warlock who was stated as having access to all warlock's memories while Nebula has never been stated to have access to the memories.
No she held the whole damn IG, I think that omniscience would give a better idea of the gems capabilities than learning via memory transfer.

When has Superskrull demonstrated a powerful will? I know Thanos has but when has Superskrull?
When Thanos wasn't able to use tp on him.

quanchi112
I didn't see a stipulation that placed this thread of the jurisdiction of standard procedure so who lied to you and said thit it was your decision as to whether or not a thread was the exception to the rule no expression ?

She might, just like Thanos MIGHT be able to resist the effect despite it never being suggested. But if the no powers thing is that big of a hangup, you can substitute someone like Jubilee. Hell why even get specific about it... do you agree that Thanos is unable to transmute or mind rape any super powered being who hasn't already been transmuted or mind raped on panel in the past?

You don't have to prove that it won't work because the only way to actually do that would be to show a scan of Thanos resisting it and no such scans exist. What you have to prove is that Thanos has some method of defense against such tactics because you're the one who's trying to remove the possibility of it working from the table by saying that it definitely won't work. And why? Because one character in the history of comics has resisted the attack.

I don't have to prove anything because I haven't made any claims, I just keep pointing out how your claims baseless.

No she held the whole damn IG, I think that omniscience would give a better idea of the gems capabilities than learning via memory transfer.

When Thanos wasn't able to use tp on him. I told you my opinion based on the facts with regards to this specific thread.

It wasnt mentioned on panel while it was mentioned when Thanos possessed only the soul gem. That has nothing to do with this thread. Thats the point.

The reason I think it wont work is because of Thanos' use of the soul gem AND HIS ACCESS TO WARLOCK'S MEMORIES. You feel differently but its up to each person to make up their own mind.

We dont know if nebula can or cant. Thanos held both the ig for a longer period of time and the soul gem with access to Warlock's memories. Im sure Nebua cant remember everything she learned when weilding the ig but if you think she can thats on you.

Superskrull is another matter entirely. You keep trying to change the subject,why?

darthgoober
I told you my opinion based on the facts with regards to this specific thread.
And I have no problems with most of your opinions. I have no problem with your personally believing whatever you want about Thanos(I know you will anyway). The whole debate as to whether or not the tactic would be successful is just a tangent that we got lost in as you sidestepped more and more away from the actual topic at hand. I entered this because of the faulty logic in this statement...

It wasnt mentioned on panel while it was mentioned when Thanos possessed only the soul gem. That has nothing to do with this thread. Thats the point.
What? I don't know what you're addressing here.

The reason I think it wont work is because of Thanos' use of the soul gem AND HIS ACCESS TO WARLOCK'S MEMORIES. You feel differently but its up to each person to make up their own mind.
If you want to make faulty assumptions that cater to double standards and aren't based on actual proof then that's on you, it's up to you as to how seriously you're debating skills taken around here(I don't care).

We dont know if nebula can or cant. Thanos held both the ig for a longer period of time and the soul gem with access to Warlock's memories. Im sure Nebua cant remember everything she learned when weilding the ig but if you think she can thats on you.
And we don't know that it's even remotely possible for Thanos to resist the Soul Gem as Surfer did. So my baseless claim is just as justified and valid as yours is(and will likely be brought up in future threads by others, I'd wager there's already someone toying with the idea of creating a Nebula vs Thanos thread in fact).

Superskrull is another matter entirely. You keep trying to change the subject,why?

I'm not trying to change the subject, you just don't seem to understand what the subject actually is. The whole reason we got lost in a bunch of tangents is because your sidestepping the real topic because you want to hold Thanos to a different standard than every other character in existence. Let's review...

Faulty logic quan. It's no different than saying Thor didn't use a Godblast on Supes because he knew it wouldn't work.

I never had an issue with your opinion as to whether or not Thanos can resist the tactic until you started spouting nonsense. My primary issue is with logic that you're happy to endorse FOR Thanos but continuously sidestep when it's used AGAINST Thanos. I'll ask again...

Since Thanos never tried to mind rape, transmute, or drain the life force of the Super Skrull it must mean that he knows he can't do it successfully, right?

Come on, I'm give you one more chance to redeem yourself and concede gracefully by admitting that it's faulty logic to assume Magus didn't soul suck Thanos because he knew it wouldn't work. You don't have to admit that it WOULD work, just that it was erroneous to attribute the reasoning to their battle.

Cavalier
Edit.

quanchi112
And I have no problems with most of your opinions. I have no problem with your personally believing whatever you want about Thanos(I know you will anyway). The whole debate as to whether or not the tactic would be successful is just a tangent that we got lost in as you sidestepped more and more away from the actual topic at hand. I entered this because of the faulty logic in this statement...

What? I don't know what you're addressing here.

If you want to make faulty assumptions that cater to double standards and aren't based on actual proof then that's on you, it's up to you as to how seriously you're debating skills taken around here(I don't care).

And we don't know that it's even remotely possible for Thanos to resist the Soul Gem as Surfer did. So my baseless claim is just as justified and valid as yours is(and will likely be brought up in future threads by others, I'd wager there's already someone toying with the idea of creating a Nebula vs Thanos thread in fact).

Again,if you disagree wit me thats fine but to continue to argue over something we cant prove or disprove seems to be a waste of time.

I'm not trying to change the subject, you just don't seem to understand what the subject actually is. The whole reason we got lost in a bunch of tangents is because your sidestepping the real topic because you want to hold Thanos to a different standard than every other character in existence. Let's review...

I never had an issue with your opinion as to whether or not Thanos can resist the tactic until you started spouting nonsense. My primary issue is with logic that you're happy to endorse FOR Thanos but continuously sidestep when it's used AGAINST Thanos. I'll ask again...

Since Thanos never tried to mind rape, transmute, or drain the life force of the Super Skrull it must mean that he knows he can't do it successfully, right?

Come on, I'm give you one more chance to redeem yourself and concede gracefully by admitting that it's faulty logic to assume Magus didn't soul suck Thanos because he knew it wouldn't work. You don't have to admit that it WOULD work, just that it was erroneous to attribute the reasoning to their battle. You were speculating as to whether Nebula would have all of Warlock's memories like Thanos had. i dont think so because her mind was fluttered with a million other things as she was adjusting to godhood.

I was saying that the Magus wouldnt even attempt this tactic imo due to Thanos' willpower and powerful personality.

I could care less if someone else baits me in another thread. You seem to be taking this to personally. I have given you scans and a line of reasoning why this tactic wouldnt be attempted and if it were why it wouldnt work. You choose to disagree but cannot prove your argument either.

The Superskrull is an entirely different issue and doesnt have the circumstances surrounding that as this thread does.

Im not saying he knows it wouldnt work especially at the time because Thanos hadnt had access to his memories and hadnt personally possessed the soul gem. I think he didnt try it due to his personality but since then Thanos has changed and had personal experience with the soul gem.

Again,there is no double standard when you look at all the circumstances that are associated with this particular thread.

quanchi112
Edit. Outta control.

darthgoober
You were speculating as to whether Nebula would have all of Warlock's memories like Thanos had. i dont think so because her mind was fluttered with a million other things as she was adjusting to godhood.
He ended up in the Soul World after she'd adjusted enough to take down the abstracts. I don't think here mind was all that fluttered from the influx at that point seeing as how he was having a conversation with Thanos when it happened.

I was saying that the Magus wouldnt even attempt this tactic imo due to Thanos' willpower and powerful personality.
It's pretty obvious what you were saying when this whole thing started...

Whether or not it would be "in character" for him to try the technique is irrelevant because this isn't a battle thread.
Ok,I still dont think it would work on Thanos.
But its entirely different. Cant you see that? The soulsuck would change Magus for alltime for one. The godblast doesnt change Thor's mind for all time no matter how many times he uses it.

You acknowledged what you were really saying when you started talking about how Thor's Godblast was a different scenario. And we already established that you knew that "in character" wasn't a factor in this fight so don't try to play that card.

Seriously, you lost this debate for yourself a long time ago. It's better to admit your previous error in logic and try to avoid others like it in the future. It happens to the best of us(even me sometimes) so there's no shame in it.

I could care less if someone else baits me in another thread. You seem to be taking this to personally. I have given you scans and a line of reasoning why this tactic wouldnt be attempted and if it were why it wouldnt work. You choose to disagree but cannot prove your argument either.
Oh no, I'm not taking it personally. I've had too many similar debates with nvr and Trick for this to get to me. And again, I don't have an argument about it because I feel no strong convictions about it one way or the other, I'm only addressing the faulty reasoning that brought me here.

The Superskrull is an entirely different issue and doesnt have the circumstances surrounding that as this thread does.
I believe I've covered this.

Im not saying he knows it wouldnt work especially at the time because Thanos hadnt had access to his memories and hadnt personally possessed the soul gem. I think he didnt try it due to his personality but since then Thanos has changed and had personal experience with the soul gem.
Would you like to see how many times you brought the Magus/Thanos fight AFTER you admitted that the thread wasn't about whether it would be "in character" for Thanos to do it...

Magus was the champion of life while he viewed Thanos as the champion of death. So, in his mind they were defined in a weird sort of way by their causes. Magus being the champion of life wouldnt absorb the champion of death into his personality. Especially due to the fact that Thanos' willpower is so damn strong.

So if you weren't saying that it would be out of character for Thanos(since we'd already established that it didn't matter) and you weren't implying that the fight was proof that Magus knew Thanos's willpower was to great for it to work, then what the f*ck WERE you saying exactly?

Again,there is no double standard when you look at all the circumstances that are associated with this particular thread.
I'm seeing plenty since you still haven't outright admitted that the Magus/Thanos battle in no way indicates that Magus was unable to preform the tactic successfully. I mean if you were never using the battle as proof, then why are you so hesitant to make the admission? Could it be that you plan on holding on to that double standard to use in future Thanos debates so you don't want to admit fault with it now...

quanchi112
He ended up in the Soul World after she'd adjusted enough to take down the abstracts. I don't think here mind was all that fluttered from the influx at that point seeing as how he was having a conversation with Thanos when it happened.

It's pretty obvious what you were saying when this whole thing started...

You acknowledged what you were really saying when you started talking about how Thor's Godblast was a different scenario. And we already established that you knew that "in character" wasn't a factor in this fight so don't try to play that card.

Seriously, you lost this debate for yourself a long time ago. It's better to admit your previous error in logic and try to avoid others like it in the future. It happens to the best of us(even me sometimes) so there's no shame in it.

Oh no, I'm not taking it personally. I've had too many similar debates with nvr and Trick for this to get to me. And again, I don't have an argument about it because I feel no strong convictions about it one way or the other, I'm only addressing the faulty reasoning that brought me here.

I believe I've covered this.

Would you like to see how many times you brought the Magus/Thanos fight AFTER you admitted that the thread wasn't about whether it would be "in character" for Thanos to do it...

So if you weren't saying that it would be out of character for Thanos(since we'd already established that it didn't matter) and you weren't implying that the fight was proof that Magus knew Thanos's willpower was to great for it to work, then what the f*ck WERE you saying exactly?

I'm seeing plenty since you still haven't outright admitted that the Magus/Thanos battle in no way indicates that Magus was unable to preform the tactic successfully. I mean if you were never using the battle as proof, then why are you so hesitant to make the admission? Could it be that you plan on holding on to that double standard to use in future Thanos debates so you don't want to admit fault with it now... My point is that she wouldnt remember these things after she lost the ig for a future battle imo.

I explained myself in this thread and why I feel that Magus wouldnt even attempt it.

My point is that during the Magus fight it was obvious that the Magus saw them as opposites and champions of life and death. These words came out of Magus' own mouth. Magus obviously is a futuristic version of Warlock and knew how dangerous it would be to absorb his soul into his own,so why would that change?

What proof do you have?

I dont think it would work based on his experience with the gem and his access to his memories for this particular thread. i have explained myself up and down again.

darthgoober
My point is that she wouldn't remember these things after she lost the ig for a future battle imo.
Proof that users of the soul suck retain memories indefinitely?

I explained myself in this thread and why I feel that Magus wouldn't even attempt it.
Quan, you were specifically attributing Magus not using because of Thanos's willpower...
Magus was the champion of life while he viewed Thanos as the champion of death. So, in his mind they were defined in a weird sort of way by their causes. Magus being the champion of life wouldn't absorb the champion of death into his personality. Especially due to the fact that Thanos' willpower is so damn strong.

My point is that during the Magus fight it was obvious that the Magus saw them as opposites and champions of life and death. These words came out of Magus' own mouth. Magus obviously is a futuristic version of Warlock and knew how dangerous it would be to absorb his soul into his own,so why would that change?
See you're speculating and you don't even actually know the back story. The original Magus sprang from a timeline in which Adam didn't encounter Thanos. As Magus explains to Warlock here...

...he remembers everything that's going on because he's Warlock's future self. But as he explains to Thanos here...

...he only knows about Thanos because if his Intelligence Service. Thanos was never supposed to meet Adam Warlock originally so the Magus had none of current Warlock's knowledge of him.

Read the comics, not just the respect thread.

What proof do you have?
Of what?

I dont think it would work based on his experience with the gem and his access to his memories for this particular thread. i have explained myself up and down again.
Is the fight between Magus and Thanos proof that the Magus knew the tactic won't work or not? Come on, no more sidestepping.

quanchi112
Proof that users of the soul suck retain memories indefinitely?

Quan, you were specifically attributing Magus not using because of Thanos's willpower...

See you're speculating and you don't even actually know the back story. The original Magus sprang from a timeline in which Adam didn't encounter Thanos. As Magus explains to Warlock here...

...he remembers everything that's going on because he's Warlock's future self. But as he explains to Thanos here...

...he only knows about Thanos because if his Intelligence Service. Thanos was never supposed to meet Adam Warlock originally so the Magus had none of current Warlock's knowledge of him.

Read the comics, not just the respect thread.

Of what?

Is the fight between Magus and Thanos proof that the Magus knew the tactic won't work or not? Come on, no more sidestepping. Im saying that it was stated specifically in Thanos' cases that he retained Warlock's memories. It was never stated in Nebula's or any one elses case. Keep speculating and throwing worthless,random questions at me that are off topic here and are completely speculative.

I,thought maybe for the purposes of this thread that Magus would have knowledge of Thanos as we are comparing Magus to the most current Thanos pre-annihilation death,but I guess we are not. Fine by me. Its rather humorous that you would think Id be gathering my information from a respect thread when I dont even know if all of these scans I keep putting up on are there. You fail again. That seems like its the common theme here.

Your own scan put up shows the Magus walking right into Thanos' plan. He foolishly thinks he will exist when all of this is all said and done. We know he doesnt quite make it and that Thanos stands triumphant. He also gets rather acquainted with him later in this story and realizes its his destiny to do battle with him. Magus still has an understanding of how the gem works having absorbed souls before and Im sure would understand the harm of absorbing the champion of death into his own character. Common sense,me thinks. Too bad for him he loses. wink

Here is the scan where Magus realizes this.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/Warlock11-12-1.jpg

Id say he understands how powerful Thanos is if he deems him the champion of the opposing cause wouldnt you? If he is the champion of life and Thanos is the champion of death wouldnt that make them equal in terms of personality? Oh and Thanos comes out on top just to remind ya. stick out tongue

I asked what proof do you have that Nebula has retained all the memories of Warlock using the soul gem? Where was this mentioned in a comic?

Thanos has gained experience with the soul gem and understands the full potential of it.

Here is a scan of Thanos calling Warlock a fool and since the Magus never obtains the ig, I think its safe to say that Magus has the least amount of understanding of the soul gem out of Thanos,Warlock and the Magus. I think thats a fair assessment.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/Thanos_Quest_2_42.jpg

Fortunately a true image like truth itself, is a subjective concept,one to be accepted or rejected depending on the viewer's prejudices,so......

DARTHGOOBER, I REJECT YOUR TRUTH!

darthgoober
Im saying that it was stated specifically in Thanos' cases that he retained Warlock's memories. It was never stated in Nebula's or any one elses case. Keep speculating and throwing worthless,random questions at me that are off topic here and are completely speculative.

I,thought maybe for the purposes of this thread that Magus would have knowledge of Thanos as we are comparing Magus to the most current Thanos pre-annihilation death,but I guess we are not. Fine by me. Its rather humorous that you would think Id be gathering my information from a respect thread when I dont even know if all of these scans I keep putting up on are there. You fail again. That seems like its the common theme here.

Your own scan put up shows the Magus walking right into Thanos' plan. He foolishly thinks he will exist when all of this is all said and done. We know he doesnt quite make it and that Thanos stands triumphant. He also gets rather acquainted with him later in this story and realizes its his destiny to do battle with him. Magus still has an understanding of how the gem works having absorbed souls before and Im sure would understand the harm of absorbing the champion of death into his own character. Common sense,me thinks. Too bad for him he loses. wink

Here is the scan where Magus realizes this.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/Warlock11-12-1.jpg

Id say he understands how powerful Thanos is if he deems him the champion of the opposing cause wouldnt you? If he is the champion of life and Thanos is the champion of death wouldnt that make them equal in terms of personality? Oh and Thanos comes out on top just to remind ya. stick out tongue

I asked what proof do you have that Nebula has retained all the memories of Warlock using the soul gem? Where was this mentioned in a comic?

Thanos has gained experience with the soul gem and understands the full potential of it.

Here is a scan of Thanos calling Warlock a fool and since the Magus never obtains the ig, I think its safe to say that Magus has the least amount of understanding of the soul gem out of Thanos,Warlock and the Magus. I think thats a fair assessment.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/Thanos_Quest_2_42.jpg

Fortunately a true image like truth itself, is a subjective concept,one to be accepted or rejected depending on the viewer's prejudices,so......

DARTHGOOBER, I REJECT YOUR TRUTH!
Is the fight between Magus and Thanos proof that the Magus knew the tactic won't work or not? Come on, no more sidestepping.

quanchi112
Nice dodge. Look if you dont want to play anymore drop it. You keep bringing it up.

You throw up one scan before Magus has even faced off against Thanos and think you won the debate. Its sad because I corrected you time and time again. I have given you a detailed reasoning for why I came to my conclusions and you choose to disagree, which is fine. But again like I said,I reject your truth.

smile

darthgoober
Nice dodge. Look if you dont want to play anymore drop it. You keep bringing it up.

You throw up one scan before Magus has even faced off against Thanos and think you won the debate. Its sad because I corrected you time and time again. I have given you a detailed reasoning for why I came to my conclusions and you choose to disagree, which is fine. But again like I said,I reject your truth.

smile
It's pretty obvious who's been dodging this whole time, and who still is for that matter. Is it valid proof or not? If you never meant to contend that the Magus/Thanos fight was proof that the Magus knew it wouldn't work then you have nothing to lose except the ability to say that it is in the future.

quanchi112
It's pretty obvious who's been dodging this whole time, and who still is for that matter. Is it valid proof or not? If you never meant to contend that the Magus/Thanos fight was proof that the Magus knew it wouldn't work then you have nothing to lose except the ability to say that it is in the future. I responded to your entire post and you didnt respond to mine at all.

I gave you my opinion. Why would the Magus absorb the soul of someone who represents everything he is not? Why? Lets forget about the thread title for a minute and please answer that question. You know my opinion about this thread and I know yours.

darthgoober
I responded to your entire post and you didnt respond to mine at all.

I gave you my opinion. Why would the Magus absorb the soul of someone who represents everything he is not? Why? Lets forget about the thread title for a minute and please answer that question. You know my opinion about this thread and I know yours.
Your post is full of nothing but sidestepping of the actual topic of OUR discussion(I've said repeatedly that I don't feel strongly about the thread one way or the other) and I don't feel like debating against yet another person who makes claims without evidence right now so I'm sticking with the actual point of our discussion because it boils down to a very simple question. Now do you consider the Magus not using the tactic against Thanos as valid evidence that the tactic wouldn't work or not? Answer that and then we might be able to move on to another point but I refuse to do that while you're leaving yourself a backdoor out.

quanchi112
Your post is full of nothing but sidestepping of the actual topic of OUR discussion(I've said repeatedly that I don't feel strongly about the thread one way or the other) and I don't feel like debating against yet another person who makes claims without evidence right now so I'm sticking with the actual point of our discussion because it boils down to a very simple question. Now do you consider the Magus not using the tactic against Thanos as valid evidence that the tactic wouldn't work or not? Answer that and then we might be able to move on to another point but I refuse to do that while you're leaving yourself a backdoor out. I have already been over this with you. I simply dont know if it would have worked at that particular time. Thanos didnt have the experience with the soul gem at that point, but I dont think the Magus would have even dared to take in the soul of the champion of death while he himself is the champion of life.

darthgoober
I have already been over this with you. I simply dont know if it would have worked at that particular time. Thanos didnt have the experience with the soul gem at that point, but I dont think the Magus would have even dared to take in the soul of the champion of death while he himself is the champion of life.
No statements that can be twisted later, just a yes or no answer. Is the fight proof or not? I'm not asking you to admit that the tactic would or wouldn't have worked, I'm asking if the lack of a tactic appearing in a comic when it's available is proof that the tactic won't work?

In other words, do you think we should assume that that Magus knew he couldn't successfully preform the tactic on Thanos since he never did it during their fight? A one word answer, that's all that's necessary. Answer one way or the other and after I finish the errands I'm about to have to run we can talk about our opinions as to WHY we feel the way we do in regards to the topic of the actual thread.

psycho gundam
quan, your getting son'd. just concede.

quanchi112
No statements that can be twisted later, just a yes or no answer. Is the fight proof or not? I'm not asking you to admit that the tactic would or wouldn't have worked, I'm asking if the lack of a tactic appearing in a comic when it's available is proof that the tactic won't work?

In other words, do you think we should assume that that Magus knew he couldn't successfully preform the tactic on Thanos since he never did it during their fight? A one word answer, that's all that's necessary. Answer one way or the other and after I finish the errands I'm about to have to run we can talk about our opinions as to WHY we feel the way we do in regards to the topic of the actual thread. When did I ever say it was the end all be all proof that this tactic wouldnt work? I have given you my opinion regarding this whole affair over and over again.

This thread isnt about that Thanos vs that Magus. Its about pre-death annihilation Thanos vs that Magus.

quan, your getting son'd. just concede. Thanks for your opinion. But really if you have something to add,then add it. Otherwise, I dont really care about your opinion.

darthgoober
When did I ever say it was the end all be all proof that this tactic wouldnt work? I have given you my opinion regarding this whole affair over and over again.
If you never said it and you don't actually believe then just say "No, it's not proof".

This thread isnt about that Thanos vs that Magus. Its about pre-death annihilation Thanos vs that Magus.

And I'm going to discuss that with you until you close the door behind you and admit that Magus not attempting the tactic is in NO way proof that it wouldn't have worked. I refuse to start an actual discussion only to have you backtrack later tonight and try to say "But if Magus thought it could have worked successfully then why didn't he try it it when they fought".

quanchi112
If you never said it and you don't actually believe then just say "No, it's not proof".

And I'm going to discuss that with you until you close the door behind you and admit that Magus not attempting the tactic is in NO way proof that it wouldn't have worked. I refuse to start an actual discussion only to have you backtrack later tonight and try to say "But if Magus thought it could have worked successfully then why didn't he try it it when they fought". I dont know why you keep asking me something which I never claimed.

Thats fine concede away. I have already responded to everything you threw my way while you havent responded to everything thrown your way.

darthgoober
I dont know why you keep asking me something which I never claimed.

Thats fine concede away. I have already responded to everything you threw my way while you havent responded to everything thrown your way.
Sure you did. We'll review the evidence in reverse order so it becomes crystal clear...

And what point are you addressing when you're giving your reasoning as to the differences between the Godblast and Soul Sucking...
And what statement prompted my pointing out faulty logic on your part...
And what statement made you feel the need to say that...
And what statement did you make that Jaxx felt was baseless...
Ok,I still dont think it would work on Thanos.
And what prompted the partial concession(the "OK"wink on your part...

Now we'll take it slow so nobody has any problems keeping up.

Phase 1. darthgoober points out that whether or not the Soul Sucking technique would be "in character is irrelevant and quanchi agrees but interjects that he still doesn't believe the tactic would work.

Phase 2. Jaxx says that quanchi's assessment is baseless and quanchi then brings up Thanos's willpower and the fact that the Magus never attempted the tactic when they fought.

Phase 3. darthgoober points out that quanchi's logic is faulty and draws a parallel using Thor's lack of utilization of the Godblast against Superman. quanchi then DEFENDS the logic by pointing out all the ways that he feels that the Soul Sucking technique differs from the Godblast.

You didn't come right out and say plane as day but the implication was obvious and repeated throughout the thread...

And before you try to say that it was all in my head(the only defense you now have left)...
lolz at Quan's constant dodging.
Originally posted by Priest
thumb up

laughing out loud
quan, your getting son'd. just concede.

Anyway, if you never made the claim and you don't really believe it to be true, then you should have no problem admitting that Magus's refraining from using the tactic in no way proves that he knew he couldn't do it successfully.

quanchi112
Sure you did. We'll review the evidence in reverse order so it becomes crystal clear...

And what point are you addressing when you're giving your reasoning as to the differences between the Godblast and Soul Sucking...

And what statement prompted my pointing out faulty logic on your part...

And what statement made you feel the need to say that...

And what statement did you make that Jaxx felt was baseless...

And what prompted the partial concession(the "OK"wink on your part...

Now we'll take it slow so nobody has any problems keeping up.

Phase 1. darthgoober points out that whether or not the Soul Sucking technique would be "in character is irrelevant and quanchi agrees but interjects that he still doesn't believe the tactic would work.

Phase 2. Jaxx says that quanchi's assessment is baseless and quanchi then brings up Thanos's willpower and the fact that the Magus never attempted the tactic when they fought.

Phase 3. darthgoober points out that quanchi's logic is faulty and draws a parallel using Thor's lack of utilization of the Godblast against Superman. quanchi then DEFENDS the logic by pointing out all the ways that he feels that the Soul Sucking technique differs from the Godblast.

You didn't come right out and say plane as day but the implication was obvious and repeated throughout the thread...

And before you try to say that it was all in my head(the only defense you now have left)...

Anyway, if you never made the claim and you don't really believe it to be true, then you should have no problem admitting that Magus's refraining from using the tactic in no way proves that he knew he couldn't do it successfully. Ok,so now you want to debate this again. Man this has really gotten to you.

The godblast and the soul suck are two entirely different attacks. For one the godblast doesnt change or alter Thor's being for all-time. The soul suck does. Are you beginning to comprehend it now. The soul-suck is always a last option type of maneuver because it will change that person for all time. Thats why they are different. This is common sense.

For a forum battle the godblast is an option against Superman. It would imo kill him but it wouldnt alter Thor's being. But a soul suck would alter your entire being.

Now you are quoting others on this quest to prove nothing. I have given you my reasoning as to why it wouldnt work on Thanos. You choose to ignore it. Thats on you.

phase1. I argued why it isnt in character to why magus wouldnt attempt this on Thanos. This is regardless of the thread which I have already given my reasoning on.

phase2. Thanos' willpower and his strong personality has a lot to do with it. At the time of their battle Thanos was the champion of death while Magus represented life. Life and death are polar opposites. Thanos also won and blocked Magus' creation. Thanos' willpower has merged and become all powerful when it meshed with heart. His experiences with the soul gem,the infinity gems,and power in general seems to dwarf Magus'.

phase3.I explained myself over and back again. Then you continue to pull up old posts to try and prove some worthless point.

I could care less about anyone elses opinions this is between you and me. You quoting them shows me how desperate you have become.
Your asking me to answer something I never claimed. You keep on doing it.

darthgoober
Ok,so now you want to debate this again. Man this has really gotten to you.

The godblast and the soul suck are two entirely different attacks. For one the godblast doesnt change or alter Thor's being for all-time. The soul suck does. Are you beginning to comprehend it now. The soul-suck is always a last option type of maneuver because it will change that person for all time. Thats why they are different. This is common sense.

For a forum battle the godblast is an option against Superman. It would imo kill him but it wouldnt alter Thor's being. But a soul suck would alter your entire being.

Now you are quoting others on this quest to prove nothing. I have given you my reasoning as to why it wouldnt work on Thanos. You choose to ignore it. Thats on you.

phase1. I argued why it isnt in character to why magus wouldnt attempt this on Thanos. This is regardless of the thread which I have already given my reasoning on.

phase2. Thanos' willpower and his strong personality has a lot to do with it. At the time of their battle Thanos was the champion of death while Magus represented life. Life and death are polar opposites. Thanos also won and blocked Magus' creation. Thanos' willpower has merged and become all powerful when it meshed with heart. His experiences with the soul gem,the infinity gems,and power in general seems to dwarf Magus'.

phase3.I explained myself over and back again. Then you continue to pull up old posts to try and prove some worthless point.

I could care less about anyone elses opinions this is between you and me. You quoting them shows me how desperate you have become.
Your asking me to answer something I never claimed. You keep on doing it.
Just keep on dodging there quan. Look meup for a serious discussion when you've learned to debate properly laughing out loud .

quanchi112
Just keep on dodging there quan. Look meup for a serious discussion when you've learned to debate properly laughing out loud . I answered you. But I accept your concession and knew youd concede sooner or later. smile

darthgoober
I answered you. But I accept your concession and knew youd concede sooner or later. smile
I didn't concede anything but your inability to debate with the grown ups. Once you've learned how to do that we can try to have an intelligent conversation but as it stands I've already wasted too much time against someone who's obviously seeking recognition as a knockoff of nvr. So give me a call when you decide to impersonate someone with a brain in their head and we can have a serious discussion about the Magus and Thanos wink .

quanchi112
I didn't concede anything but your inability to debate with the grown ups. Once you've learned how to do that we can try to have an intelligent conversation but as it stands I've already wasted too much time against someone who's obviously seeking recognition as a knockoff of nvr. So give me a call when you decide to impersonate someone with a brain in their head and we can have a serious discussion about the Magus and Thanos wink . Goober I responded to everything you stated.

You should keep the insults out of your posts and stick to the topic at hand. It seems you had no proof and were pulling an aster tactic on me when we couldnt prove it either way. I really see you as someone who gets to emotionally tied into these threads which is a shame.

darthgoober
Goober I responded to everything you stated.

You should keep the insults out of your posts and stick to the topic at hand. It seems you had no proof and were pulling an aster tactic on me when we couldnt prove it either way. I really see you as someone who gets to emotionally tied into these threads which is a shame.
No you didn't...

quanchi112
No you didn't... I said it isnt conclusive proof either way. We simply dont know and can only guess if it would have worked or if it wouldnt have worked.

darthgoober
I said it isnt conclusive proof either way. We simply dont know and can only guess if it would have worked or if it wouldnt have worked.
So just so we're absolutely clear, you're saying that a character refraining from using a particular tactic in combat is in no way proof that the tactic won't be successful unless it's specifically mentioned on panel, correct?

quanchi112
So just so we're absolutely clear, you're saying that a character refraining from using a particular tactic in combat is in no way proof that the tactic won't be successful unless it's specifically mentioned on panel, correct? When did I say that that definitively proved that it wouldnt work? I factored that in for myself personally along with everything else I discussed and thought it would be out of character for him to try it at that time. But I dont know if it would have worked or not at that particular time prior to Thanos' experience with the soul gem and the ig.

darthgoober
When did I say that that definitively proved that it wouldnt work? I factored that in for myself personally along with everything else I discussed and thought it would be out of character for him to try it at that time. But I dont know if it would have worked or not at that particular time prior to Thanos' experience with the soul gem and the ig.
Let's not backtrack and have to start the whiole thing over again. I don't care if you want to contend that you never meant to imply that(onlookers can decide for themselves as far as I'm concerned), all I care about is the answer to this question that way I know we're on the same page...
So just so we're absolutely clear, you're saying that a character refraining from using a particular tactic in combat is in no way proof that the tactic won't be successful unless it's specifically mentioned on panel, correct?

Saying yes doesn't necessarily mean that you're were wrong before(again, I'll let others decide that for themselves as to the implication), just that you admit you WILL be wrong if you ever use that logic in the future or in another thread.

quanchi112
Let's not backtrack and have to start the whiole thing over again. I don't care if you want to contend that you never meant to imply that(onlookers can decide for themselves as far as I'm concerned), all I care about is the answer to this question that way I know we're on the same page...

Saying yes doesn't necessarily mean that you're were wrong before(again, I'll let others decide that for themselves as to the implication), just that you admit you WILL be wrong if you ever use that logic in the future or in another thread. I have answered your question. I never use the words always and never as there are usually exceptions. I try to look at things from a case by case standpoint.

darthgoober
I have answered your question. I never use the words always and never as there are usually exceptions. I try to look at things from a case by case standpoint.
No you didn't and you're purposefully avoiding doing so. It's a yes or no question, is it acceptable logic or not?

quanchi112
No you didn't and you're purposefully avoiding doing so. It's a yes or no question, is it acceptable logic or not? It depends on the circumstances. I have already told you that.

darthgoober
It depends on the circumstances. I have already told you that.
And under what circumstances do you consider it acceptable to assume that a character's failure to use a tactic in battle against a specific enemy is proof of the character's foreknowledge that he can't preform the tactic successfully against his opponent or that the tactic flatout won't work against his opponent regardless of who's trying it?

quanchi112
And under what circumstances do you consider it acceptable to assume that a character's failure to use a tactic in battle against a specific enemy is proof of the characters foreknowledge that he can't preform the tactic successfully against his opponent or that the tactic flatout won't work against his opponent regardless of who's trying it? At the time of the battle Id say no. I dont know whether it would have worked or not. I also dont know whether the Magus would have avoided this tactic because he saw him as the champion of the opposite cause. A champion of life absorbing a champion of death would change your entire way of thinking.

darthgoober
At the time of the battle Id say no. I dont know whether it would have worked or not. I also dont know whether the Magus would have avoided this tactic because he saw him as the champion of the opposite cause. A champion of life absorbing a champion of death would change your entire way of thinking.
You're bringing up the Thanos/Magus battle again and it's irrelevant to the question(which has to do with the standards applied to forum fights).

WHEN is it acceptable? I'm looking for an example of an acceptable situation to do it.

quanchi112
You're bringing up the Thanos/Magus battle again and it's irrelevant to the question(which has to do with the standards applied to forum fights).

WHEN is it acceptable? I'm looking for an example of an acceptable situation to do it. Id say something like Mephisto trying to take Galactus' soul. He wouldnt attempt it because he would realize it wouldnt work imo and not waste the effort.

darthgoober
Id say something like Mephisto trying to take Galactus' soul. He wouldnt attempt it because he would realize it wouldnt work imo and not waste the effort.
Different set of circumstances though because it's actually been confirmed on panel that the Soul Gem's jurisdiction both encompasses and extends beyond Mephisto's and Galactus is beyond the jurisdiction of the Soul Gem. Thus the claim isn't baseless because it has actual on panel confirmation. What's more, Galactus and other abstracts are regarded as omnipotent(or nearly so) so it's not really speculation to acknowledge the likelihood of their resistance because technically they're supposed to be able to do pretty much ANYTHING up to a certain point. You can speculate on the abilities of abstract level characters till you're blue in the face if you want and I seriously doubt that I or anyone else will have a problem with(hence statements like "Galactus turns him into a cheeseburger" despite his never having done that).

I'm talking about characters with actual limits to their powers.

quanchi112
Different set of circumstances though because it's actually been confirmed on panel that the Soul Gem's jurisdiction both encompasses and extends beyond Mephisto's and Galactus is beyond the jurisdiction of the Soul Gem. Thus the claim isn't baseless because it has actual on panel confirmation. What's more, Galactus and other abstracts are regarded as omnipotent(or nearly so) so it's not really speculation to acknowledge the likelihood of their resistance because technically they're supposed to be able to do pretty much ANYTHING. You can speculate on the abilities of abstract level characters till you're blue in the face if you want and I seriously doubt that I or anyone else will have a problem with(hence statements like "Galactus turns him into a cheeseburger" despite his never having done that).

I'm talking about characters with actual limits to their powers. Well I dont think that Mephisto could take Hela's soul. They are nowhere near abstract level.

darthgoober
Well I dont think that Mephisto could take Hela's soul. They are nowhere near abstract level.
Galactus is, and has been labeled as omnipotent(or nearly so) multiple times now.

And not only has Mephisto has been regarded as nearly omnipotent himself several times(and is supported by the temporary stalemating of Galactus), Hela is a rival of his that's his acknowledged peer in both power and position. You pretty much have to look at the Transcendent tier and lower if you're looking for examples that have never been classified as omnipotent or nearly so, and even a couple of them have the description to their credit.

quanchi112
Galactus is, and has been labeled as omnipotent(or nearly so) multiple times now.

And not only has Mephisto has been regarded as nearly omnipotent himself several times, Hela is a rival of his that's his peer in both power and position. You pretty much have to look at the Transcendent tier and lower if you're looking for examples that have never been classified as omnipotent or nearly so. Wow,lots of excuses. Odin has been labeled as omnipotent as well and Thanos took him on in asgard. The point is Meph is nowhere near as powerful as Galactus. The point is they arent even close to a Celestial and that includes Odin who is regarded as omnipotent. I have given examples and it was oh so easy. I have proven my point like always and you seem to keep asking for more examples. laughing out loud

darthgoober
Wow,lots of excuses. Odin has been labeled as omnipotent as well and Thanos took him on in asgard. The point is Meph is nowhere near as powerful as Galactus. The point is they arent even close to a Celestial and that includes Odin who is regarded as omnipotent. I have given examples and it was oh so easy. I have proven my point like always and you seem to keep asking for more examples. laughing out loud
You've given poor examples because you're still trying to leave yourself a backdoor that'll allow you to say that "X character didn't try Y tactic on Thanos(or possibly the Hulk) because he/she knew it wouldn't work". Here I finally thought that you were ready to "man up" in your own distorted little way but it turns out that you're still intent on pulling the same old BS. Your semantics are pointless and recognizable as such to anybody with half a brain, so we'll drop this for now and pick it up when you're ready to sit at the Grownup's table with the rest of us.

Cavalier
Of all the posters that are still willing to put themselves through this, Goob's probably my favorite.

Red Hulk
Of all the posters that are still willing to put themselves through this, Goob's probably my favorite. I don't know how he does it.

darthgoober
Of all the posters that are still willing to put themselves through this, Goob's probably my favorite.
I don't know how he does it.
It's because past debates with unreasonable poster's have made me just as stubborn as he is laughing out loud . The difference of course being that when I'm stubborn it's because I'm actually right...

quanchi112
You've given poor examples because you're still trying to leave yourself a backdoor that'll allow you to say that "X character didn't try Y tactic on Thanos(or possibly the Hulk) because he/she knew it wouldn't work". Here I finally thought that you were ready to "man up" in your own distorted little way but it turns out that you're still intent on pulling the same old BS. Your semantics are pointless and recognizable as such to anybody with half a brain, so we'll drop this for now and pick it up when you're ready to sit at the Grownup's table with the rest of us. Again I answered your question and wont say words like always and never for ya. Sorry,but you seem to find problems with my examples and even tried calling Mephisto close to omnipotent to try and weasel out of it.

Dont ask questions that you dont want answers to. You seem to be holding a grudge and cant stand my opinion. Its my own so please deal with it and quit being such a child about this.Originally posted by Cavalier
Of all the posters that are still willing to put themselves through this, Goob's probably my favorite. In November your time will be up.

It's because past debates with unreasonable poster's have made me just as stubborn as he is laughing out loud . The difference of course being that when I'm stubborn it's because I'm actually right... Right about what exactly?

Red Hulk
In November your time will be up.
confused

OK, someone needs to explain this to me...

quanchi112
confused

OK, someone needs to explain this to me... Battlezone.

Cavalier
confused

OK, someone needs to explain this to me... Quan and I have a battlezone match scheduled.

He wants to deliberate until November to try and get his shit together.

Red Hulk
Battlezone. Planned for November?

Are you guys training or something?

---

Anyway, I predict Smurph by first round Peruvian Necktie.

quanchi112
Planned for November?

Are you guys training or something? I hope he is for his sake.

We finally agreed. Theres only one problem I dont know shit about the guy he is representing but by then Ill have to know.

I have shit going on and I remember how time consuming my battlezone against nver was so im giving myself time to read up on this Majestic.
He is representing Mr Majestic vs my Thor.

kgkg
well magus did have the upper hand against thanos although they were evenly matched

darthgoober
Again I answered your question and wont say words like always and never for ya. Sorry,but you seem to find problems with my examples and even tried calling Mephisto close to omnipotent to try and weasel out of it.
And unlike every claim you've made, my claim about Mephisto is actually backed by on panel proof. In fact, if you can produce scans to prove the claims you've made here I'll post multiple scans describing Mephisto as nearly omnipotent.

Anyway, back to the kids table with you.
Right about what exactly?
My reasoning and such.

Red Hulk
I hope he is for his sake.

We finally agreed. Theres only one problem I dont know shit about the guy he is representing but by then Ill have to know.

I have shit going on and I remember how time consuming my battlezone against nver was so im giving myself time to read up on this Majestic.
He is representing Mr Majestic vs my Thor. You hope he is, but you don't know anything about his character?
Oh Quan!

Shit going on? You're on like all the time...

kgkg
I hope he is for his sake.

He is representing Mr Majestic vs my Thor. Good luck with that smile

quanchi112
And unlike every claim you've made, my claim about Mephisto is actually backed by on panel proof. In fact, if you can produce scans to prove the claims you've made here I'll post multiple scans describing Mephisto as nearly omnipotent.

My reasoning and such. I am on here and there. I have a wedding coming up and dont feel like rushing into all the Thor comics and Majestic ones Ill need to read. I have to brush up on my Thor as well. With Thanos at least I knew my shit but with these guys Ill have to work for it.Originally posted by darthgoober

My reasoning and such. Yeah and Mephisto failed against the Surfer with this same tactic. he would also fail against Hela. See the point,of course you dont. Is Hela near omnipotent?

See ya later goober.

quanchi112
Originally posted by kgkg
well magus did have the upper hand against thanos although they were evenly matched Yeah he was winning but this was against the weakest Thanos. So,against the current one he would get annihilated imo. Much more powerful. He took on omnipotent Odin.

darthgoober
Yeah and Mephisto failed against the Surfer with this same tactic. he would also fail against Hela. See the point,of course you dont. Is Hela near omnipotent?

Because he's Surfer and his strength of mind/spirit are second to none. Thanos was having a hard time controling Surfer's mind through his soul while he had the Infinity Gauntlet until he beat him senseless. So if you were right and the effect is resisted by willpower Surfer wouldn't matter because Surfer's shown us that willpower is one of the few categories he trump's Thanos in smile .

quanchi112
Because he's Surfer and his strength of mind/spirit are second to none. Thanos wasn't even able to control Surfer's mind while he had the Infinity Gauntlet without beating him senseless. So if you were right and the effect is resisted by willpower Surfer wouldn't matter because Surfer's shown us that willpower is one of the few categories he trump's Thanos in smile . yeah because he has never been controlled by Galactus before and isnt currently his lapdog again. Ho wmany times does the Surfer have to be the victim here? He was under a spell of the Godess's in infinity crusade until he came to his senses.

You really think Surfer has greater willpower than Thanos? laughing out loud Thats rich. Based on?

When did Thanos try to alter his soul or his mind in ig?

darthgoober
yeah because he has never been controlled by Galactus before and isnt currently his lapdog again. Ho wmany times does the Surfer have to be the victim here? He was under a spell of the Godess's in infinity crusade until he came to his senses.
He always subjects himself to Galactus's control to save others and the Goddess was using the Cosmic Egg.... and he still broke free.

You really think Surfer has greater willpower than Thanos? laughing out loud Thats rich. Based on?

When did Thanos try to alter his soul or his mind in ig?
Superior feats in that department.

He used the IG to to try to read Surfer's past through his SOUL before the IG series itself kicked off and Norrin was resisting until Thanos beat him senseless. I'll produce scans of the event just as soon as you produce some prrof to support the claims that you've made here or admit there's no actual evidence to support your numerous theories.

kgkg
Yeah he was winning but this was against the weakest Thanos. So,against the current one he would get annihilated imo. Much more powerful. He took on omnipotent Odin. I wouldn't say Annihilated but Thanos would win

quanchi112
Because he's Surfer and his strength of mind/spirit are second to none. Thanos was having a hard time controling Surfer's mind through his soul while he had the Infinity Gauntlet until he beat him senseless. So if you were right and the effect is resisted by willpower Surfer wouldn't matter because Surfer's shown us that willpower is one of the few categories he trump's Thanos in smile . You said willpower is something that the Surfer trumps Thanos in. That is simply untrue and you know it. Originally posted by darthgoober
He always subjects himself to Galactus's control to save others and the Goddess was using the Cosmic Egg.... and he still broke free.

He used the IG to to try to read Surfer's past through his SOUL before the IG series itself kicked off and Norrin was resisting until Thanos beat him senseless. I'll produce scans of the event just as soon as you produce some prrof to support the claims that you've made here or admit there's no actual evidence to support your numerous theories. When did I say he had weak willpower? You said his was better than Thanos'. Thanos doesnt follow anyone blindly. Surfer has. Multiple times, but he has always managed to snap out of it sooner or later.

Well done. I havent read silver surfer 50 in a long time. I liked that issue. Ill produce a scan showing Thanos easily peaking into his memories while Surfer just retaliated. Thanos didnt want to destroy the Surfer in this process and was being kind imo.

Here is a scan of Surfer attacking and Thanos calming grabbing him and looking inside without having to beat him into submission. Surfer was fighting this the entire time but Thanos still saw what he wanted to see.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/SilverSurfer050-20.jpg

You keep asking for answers and keep making up excuses. I offer none. Its fine that you feel that the soulsuck would work against Thanos but I dont share your opinion on this matter. Drop it son. I tire of this vendetta of yours. You cant and wont beat me,ever.

Find a feat of willpower of the Surfer's that rivals this one.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/marveltheend4kebbin08-3.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/marveltheend4kebbin09-3.jpg

darthgoober
You said willpower is something that the Surfer trumps Thanos in.
That is simply untrue and you know it. When did I say he had weak willpower? You said his was better than Thanos'. Thanos doesnt follow anyone blindly. Surfer has. Multiple times, but he has always managed to snap out of it sooner or later.

Well done. I havent read silver surfer 50 in a long time. I liked that issue. Ill produce a scan showing Thanos easily peaking into his memories while Surfer just retaliated. Thanos didnt want to destroy the Surfer in this process and was being kind imo.

Here is a scan of Surfer attacking and Thanos calming grabbing him and looking inside without having to beat him into submission. Surfer was fighting this the entire time but Thanos still saw what he wanted to see.

You keep asking for answers and keep making up excuses. I offer none. Its fine that you feel that the soulsuck would work against Thanos but I dont share your opinion on this matter. Drop it son. I tire of this vendetta of yours. You cant and wont beat me,ever.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/marveltheend4kebbin09-3.jpg

He does.

Pay close attention to what I said....

He used the IG to to try to read Surfer's past through his SOUL before the IG series itself kicked off and Norrin was resisting until Thanos beat him senseless. I'll produce scans of the event just as soon as you produce some prrof to support the claims that you've made here or admit there's no actual evidence to support your numerous theories.

Your scan happened after Thanos did that.

Are you illiterate? How many times do I have to say that I could care less as to whether or not Thanos could resist the tactic? My argument has been with faulty logic. You're trying to sidetrack the conversation but it's not going to work because I refuse to try have a serious debate with someone who's going to cater to bad logic. And I already HAVE beaten you, just ask anyone following the thread. You seem to thing refusing to concede the point when you and everyone else knows you're wrong is the same as reaching a legitimate impasse in a debate but that just as inaccurate as the rest of your reasoning.

The final scan WOULD be incredibly impressive if TOAA hadn't set the whole thing up. It's still impressive mind you because it was written to be so, but it can't really be taken at face value. Sorry.

quanchi112
He does.

Pay close attention to what I said....

Your scan happened after Thanos did that.

Are you illiterate? How many times do I have to say that I could care less as to whether or not Thanos could resist the tactic? My argument has been with faulty logic. You're trying to sidetrack the conversation but it's not going to work because I refuse to try have a serious debate with someone who's going to cater to bad logic. And I already HAVE beaten you, just ask anyone following the thread. You seem to thing refusing to concede the point when you and everyone else knows you're wrong is the same as reaching a legitimate impasse in a debate but that just as inaccurate as the rest of your reasoning.

The final scan WOULD be incredibly impressive if TOAA hadn't set the whole thing up. It's still impressive mind you because it was written to be so, but it can't really be taken at face value. Sorry. You are really reaching now. You are outright lying now as well. I see you are trying to twist these events around and actually tried to hold them from me before in this strange time of game you are playing. Here is the beginning of Thanos looking into the Surfer's past. I never thought youd try to lie and twist this around for your Surfer but thats exactly what you did. Funny Surfer doesnt look beaten into submission to me. laughing out loud
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/SilverSurfer050-08.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/SilverSurfer050-09.jpg

Again,I beat you up and down and gave you examples and answered your questions time and time again. Why do you keep responding to me? I have backed up my case and then some. You seem like you still have an axe to grind with me and actually have resorted to lying about the events of Silver Surfer 50.

The funny thing is even if the TOAA just shoved Thanos into the heart himself,that still doesnt change the sheer willpower that Thanos possesses. Did the TOAA force the ig on him as well? I mean its clear that the reason Thanos adapted and survived is because of his history with storing power and his awesome willpower. It says it right in my scans.

Quit acting like the Surfer resisting the soul gem and coming out of the goddess' control puts him on a level with Thanos. Thanos willpower is on a whole other level. Now,please dont try to spin anything else in a false light you are making yourself look really,really bad.

darthgoober
You are really reaching now. You are outright lying now as well. I see you are trying to twist these events around and actually tried to hold them from me before in this strange time of game you are playing. Here is the beginning of Thanos looking into the Surfer's past. I never thought youd try to lie and twist this around for your Surfer but thats exactly what you did. Funny Surfer doesnt look beaten into submission to me. laughing out loud
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/SilverSurfer050-08.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/SilverSurfer050-09.jpg

Again,I beat you up and down and gave you examples and answered your questions time and time again. Why do you keep responding to me? I have backed up my case and then some. You seem like you still have an axe to grind with me and actually have resorted to lying about the events of Silver Surfer 50.

The funny thing is even if the TOAA just shoved Thanos into the heart himself,that still doesnt change the sheer willpower that Thanos possesses. Did the TOAA force the ig on him as well? I mean its clear that the reason Thanos adapted and survived is because of his history with storing power and his awesome willpower. It says it right in my scans.

Quit acting like the Surfer resisting the soul gem and coming out of the goddess' control puts him on a level with Thanos. Thanos willpower is on a whole other level. Now,please dont try to spin anything else in a false light you are making yourself look really,really bad.
And Thanos beats on him a couple of pages later because he's resisting successfully. And this is after the opening blast on page one that knocked Surfer conconscious in the first place.

And Thanos himself said in a later issue that TOAA set the whole thing up. That's why I said...
The final scan WOULD be incredibly impressive if TOAA hadn't set the whole thing up. It's still impressive mind you because it was written to be so, but it can't really be taken at face value. Sorry.

Anyway, back to the kiddie table with you. I've exposed the faulty logic of this statement...

...and that was my sole intention all along. So I'm done here until you've learned to debate properly.

quanchi112
You said willpower is something that the Surfer trumps Thanos in. That is simply untrue and you know it. When did I say he had weak willpower? You said his was better than Thanos'. Thanos doesnt follow anyone blindly. Surfer has. Multiple times, but he has always managed to snap out of it sooner or later.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa41/quanchi112/marveltheend4kebbin09-3.jpg I say that right here. Surfer was still trying to resist it and Thanos didnt want to kill him in the process. Thanos still saw inside him but the Surfer still resisted. In the end Thanos saw what he wanted to see and spared the Surfer. Seriously,I am not trying to twist anything while you on the other hand are. I got the context correct while you lied and said that Thanos needed to blast the Surfer into submission. My first scan shows he didnt need to blast the Surfer into submission but that he needed to chill the Surfer out because he kept blasting Thanos during this issue. Thanos peered into his memories immediately while Surfer kept resisting and fighting back. Thanos didnt need to floor him to look into his past. But he needed to eventually because the surfer was resisting this in there and in the physical world as well.

What does TOAA setting it up have to do with the willpower he possessed to accomplish this feat? I was showing you the scan for his willpower. Cant you figure that out?

Goober you have shown yourself to twist things to try and get to me. You have totally and utterly failed.

darthgoober
Anyway, back to the kiddie table with you. I've exposed the faulty logic of this statement...

...and that was my sole intention all along. So I'm done here until you've learned to debate properly.

quanchi112
...and that was my sole intention all along. So I'm done here until you've learned to debate properly. I explained myself there a hundred times. But keep it up goober.

darthgoober
I explained myself there a hundred times. But keep it up goober.

quanchi112
...and that was my sole intention all along. So I'm done here until you've learned to debate properly. What are you still confused about?

iceman24567
Thanos gets his souled owned next.

quanchi112
Thanos gets his souled owned next. Based on?

iceman24567
Based on? Based on Thanos never resisting a soul suck by the Gem? Don't ask me stupid questions scratch that don't ask me questions period.

quanchi112
Based on Thanos never resisting a soul suck by the Gem? Don't ask me stupid questions scratch that don't ask me questions period. Ok,but you have no proof either way and you also are ignoring Thanos' access to the soul gem,the ig,and Warlock's memories just so you know.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.