Dune

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CC001
hey guys

does anyone have a link to or any info on where i can get the Dune and children of dune tv mini series?

Robtard
If you want to rent (and burn a copy if able), Netflix carries the series.

If you want to purchase, Amazon carries it or you can possibly find it on eBay.

Devil King
Is the mini-series any better than the 80's movie?

I know sacrifices had to be made for a feature-length movie, but does the mini-series get deeper into the myhtology?

Joseph_Kerr
I found the Dune mini series to be closer to the book than Lynch's Dune. But, do keep in mind that it was not an expensive (meaning in the millions) budget movie. But if you can get over that issue I think you will enjoy the movie. It is much more accurate to the mythology of Paul as the Kwisatch Haderach. Make sure you get the unedited version (it's a 3 disc set). It was the european version which is longer. There are a few key scenes that gives the movie more depth.

Children of Dune is two books. Dune Messiah/Children of Dune. But it's just as good as the first mini series.

Ushgarak
The mini-series tells the story better but a. it was obviously cheap and b. they had appalling taste in costuming, and some of the casting/acting isn't quyite what it could be. Children of Dune was actually better but the original Dune story is the stronger one to film.

Lynch's film is stylistically gorgeous, captured the atmosphere much better and actually expanded the idea of what sci-fi could look like. Trouble is that it was a total confusing mess. Shame, really.

WrathfulDwarf
I would suggest that if you really want Dune just go ahead and read the series. Well, same can be said for LOTR and the Harry Potter books but you know...you get better story telling rather than visuals.

Children of Dune wasn't so bad but I do agree they could have put more effort on the costumes....then, again, there we go with the visuals rather than actual story.

Lynch's certainly took some liberties with the story for his film. But it wasn't really harming...Although...I would have much prefer if he had thrown in more quotes from the OCB (Orange Catholic Bible)

Oh....I can't resist! I must do it!

"Thou shalt not disfigure the soul"

"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man's mind."

Ahhh...that feels so good.....soooooo good.... happy

*runs back to read Dune*

Devil King
I have read the first book. But I also recognize that the Lynch film has some serious gaps. As the moderator says, it doesn't do much to lessen the confusion. In fact, after seeing the film, I had to read the book to understand what the hell was going on.

How far into the sequels does the mini-series explore?

Ushgarak
It did the first three, and to be frank I feel it would be a mistake to go further.

Joseph_Kerr
Look.. obviosly me and Ush have a different opinion about the two mini series.. but combined price at amazon is 20.00 dollars. for 9 hours of Dune. Buy it, watch it, and create your own opinion. Then go and buy the Director's cut of Lynch's Dune. Then wait for the new version of the Dune movie to come out. smile

Robtard
Originally posted by Joseph_Kerr
Look.. obviosly me and Ush have a different opinion about the two mini series.. but combined price at amazon is 20.00 dollars. for 9 hours of Dune. Buy it, watch it, and create your own opinion. Then go and buy the Director's cut of Lynch's Dune. Then wait for the new version of the Dune movie to come out. smile

Aren't there two extended versions of Dune? I think I own the directors.

Ushgarak
There's an Alan Smithee cut done for tv, but my opinion is that it is decidedly worse. It has a hugely leaden intro, an irrelevant voice over, and in returning some cut scenes manages some absurdities- for example, some of the 'voice in the head' lines we get from characters in the original version were taken from those cut scenes. But when they returned the scenes they kept those same voices-in-the-head lines in, so as an example right near the start we get the Emperor thinking a line, and then about 30 srconds later saying the exact same line in the exact same way out loud, as that cut line was originally turned into the thought he had. Such a basic and glaring error gives an idea about how bad the cut was done. About the only way it could have tried to improve things was to make the ending less... odd. But it left that exactly as is, despite the fact there was some footage cut from that ending that would have really helped.

It also re-arranges some scenes- badly- so it can fit a two part set-up, as it was designed to be shown on two different nights. All in all, a bit of a cock-up.

David Lynch was also slightly a victim of the times, I feel. For example, he completely cut out the martial arts 'Weirding Way' of the books and turned it into a sound-based weapon instead, a significant change to the mythology (which he then extended into a plot point of the power of the Atreides army, changing storyline even more). His excuse, apparently, was that he thought it would be rubbish to have kung-fu on sand dunes.

In these post Crouching Tiger days, that logic doesn't look quite so sound (no pun intended...). Oddly enough, though, the whole sound weapon thing has almost been accepted into the mythology; in particular the computer games all used it.

Robtard
I've haven't read the book, it's still on my "to read" list, didn't know that the sound weapons was completely from Lynch.

Devil King
Originally posted by Ushgarak
There's an Alan Smithee cut done for tv, but my opinion is that it is decidedly worse. It has a hugely leaden intro, an irrelevant voice over, and in returning some cut scenes manages some absurdities- for example, some of the 'voice in the head' lines we get from characters in the original version were taken from those cut scenes. But when they returned the scenes they kept those same voices-in-the-head lines in, so as an example right near the start we get the Emperor thinking a line, and then about 30 srconds later saying the exact same line in the exact same way out loud, as that cut line was originally turned into the thought he had. Such a basic and glaring error gives an idea about how bad the cut was done. About the only way it could have tried to improve things was to make the ending less... odd. But it left that exactly as is, despite the fact there was some footage cut from that ending that would have really helped.

The internal dialouge in the Lynch film is terribly distracting and redundant. I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of the making of and people responsible, but it does nothing but patronize the viewer.

CC001
hey guys thanks for all the info!

Now i have read all the books and loved them. i'm looking forward to seeing the mini-series now, as i did find that the film, although they did do a good job, couldn't delve into the history in as much detail that i hope the mini-series does...

i'm going to order them and will let you know whati think in a couple weeks!

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Devil King
The internal dialouge in the Lynch film is terribly distracting and redundant. I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of the making of and people responsible, but it does nothing but patronize the viewer.

Actually I agree, and it's appallingly timed too. So it is quite impressive that the Smithee cut makes it worse.

Bardock42
I enjoyed Dune quite a lot, I don't understand why it is so hard to put on screen though (or at least why many people claim though).

Ushgarak
There's a lot wrong with Dune in a narrative sense, to be honest. It also builds up an interesting sci fi backdrop of differing political interests and intrigue and then basically pisses all over it in the end by giving Paul two unbeatable trump cards- his own virtually infallible status and a completely unbeatable Fremen army- which then promptly, with no drama or question at all, thrashes everyone else involved despite the fact these were much cleverer, wilier and in the end more interesting people.

Dune Messiah is then a quite interesting look at where that all goes wrong for Paul, but really from that point on the whole universe has become much less interesting with the God Emperor running the place, all that Golden path stuff was a bit meh and Herbert's obsession with ecology was almost as bad as Tolkien's obsession with songs; large tracts of text are close to being wastes of time (and totally unfilmable).

Which should have made the Prelude novels interesting but they were just rubbish instead.

However, problems with the narrative (as opposed to the setting) are also the big problems with the Lord of the Rings novels. Peter Jackson messed around with that enough to make good films (well, two good fioms and one ok film), so it should be possible with Dune too.

Devil King
Suprisingly, in this we agree, too. Tolkein and Herbert both waste a lot of the reader's time. I don't mind an author being a stikler for detail, but not at the expense of the story. Filling in details and closing the loops in a story or even answering unanswered questions can be a good thing sometimes.

I never even finished a single LotR book. My first year of college, after High School, I would go to the comic book shop and there would be hippy after hippy sitting there reading LotR books in the back of the store. When I would talk to one around town and the subject came up, they'd tell me they were reading the 2nd book for the 10th time, that they loved it so much. I get that, I'm the same way with the original Star Wars mythology, but I think they were really more fascinated that it was so complex that they had to read it 10 times to digest it all. When you read any of the books, from The Two Towers to The Silmarillion, you can tell almost instantly that the guy who wrote it chose to do for a living exactly what Tolkein did for a living.

CC001
So do you guys think that is the reason why dune hasn't been looked at as the next series of sci fi/fantasy films? just far too much material and narative issues? the same would have been said about lotr a decade ago but with a bit of tweaking, a very successful (and i mean narative wise - not financially) set of films was made. i mean a 7 parter would be a mammoth undertaking, but they're doing it with harry potter!

I just hope an ambitious film maker and visionary producer come together and decide to take it on, because i personally was enthralled by the books, and read all 7 in about 8 weeks!

Joseph_Kerr
http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

The new Dune movie. Slated for 2010.

Devil King
Originally posted by CC001
So do you guys think that is the reason why dune hasn't been looked at as the next series of sci fi/fantasy films? just far too much material and narative issues? the same would have been said about lotr a decade ago but with a bit of tweaking, a very successful (and i mean narative wise - not financially) set of films was made. i mean a 7 parter would be a mammoth undertaking, but they're doing it with harry potter!

I just hope an ambitious film maker and visionary producer come together and decide to take it on, because i personally was enthralled by the books, and read all 7 in about 8 weeks!

No, I don't think it's not been looked at by film makers. I mean, if you can take a body of work like Lord of the Rings and get the kind of box office figures it got, then Dune isn't a leap.

JayJohn85
Must read the books myself but didnt herbert never really finish the story? I mean wasnt there a backdrop about sentient machines or something and that the whole golden path and all that crap was just basically preparing humanity to fight robots? I could be wrong.

focus4chumps
h**p://scifiwire.com/2009/08/director-berg-envisions-a.php

Robtard
Reading the first book now, Lynch's movie is different in many ways. Hope the new one stays closer to the written works.

Really needs to be a two or three part movie for just the first book.

focus4chumps
http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/dune-remake-update.php

Shey Tapani
I never liked the Lynch Version.

Robtard
^
Of the Neils, I hope they go with Blompkamp. Don't care much for the other guy's movies.

Shey Tapani
Bolkamp would be great.

-Pr-
The Descent is, imo, one of the best horror films of the past decade. Dog Soldiers was pretty good too. Didn't see Doomsday, so can't judge.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, though.

Though i do like Blompkamp, and District 9 was an excellent movie.

As much of a mess as the Lynch one was, it wasn't bad for it's time, imo.

Robtard
My pick would be Peter Jackson, he's done a vast epic before; a fine job at it too. His name would also guarantee massive amounts of money being thrown at the project.

I like Lynch's Dune, though it strayed off from the book, still a solid Sci-Fi flick.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Robtard
My pick would be Peter Jackson, he's done a vast epic before; a fine job at it too. His name would also guarantee massive amounts of money being thrown at the project.

I like Lynch's Dune, though it strayed off from the book, still a solid Sci-Fi flick.

agreed on both counts. Peter Jackson can bring any book to life imo. Imagine if he'd done twilight.

sorry.

headless robot
"Aren't there two extended versions of Dune? I think I own the directors."

Yes... I'm not sure what the current extended version that is available has but I did see an extended version that was a japanese import that was a lot longer. It had a lot of scenes that were cut from the movie that weren't even finished yet... scenes where the special effects hadn't been added and the fremen didn't have blue eyes n' such.

It did do a better job of keeping the story closer to the novel but I guess due to the already long length of the movie the scenes had to be dropped.

I wouldn't mind seeing dune being remade the same way lord of the rings was done with 2 or three movies. 2 would probably work best because you could end the first with the harkonen attack on dune. and the second could focus more on the fremen.

focus4chumps
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/01/04/dune-remake/

Robtard
Originally posted by focus4chumps
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/01/04/dune-remake/

Hmmm, of the five movies of his I've seen. I only really liked one, Taken.

queeq
Another Dune??? Hmmm... I wonder how that'll pan out.

I love Lynch's Dune, despite all the faults Ush already pointed out. The atmosphere, the look, the feel.... truly magnificent. And it even made Paul quite a sympathetic character. Not so in tv series if you ask me, which also looked appalling, despite being closer to the book.

So will we now get a version that does both, or will politics ruin Dune forever as a filmable project?

Ushgarak
Oh, I enjoyed Lynch's film too... but it's still a mess.

There is all thits talk about doing it differently this time... hmmm....

Der_SpeeDer
I watched both Lynch's and Harrison's movies, I've read the book itself as well. And I think that the older movie is much, much better, despite of its few disadvantages.

Harrison's film is longer and contains more facts from the novel, but - real paradox - it is washed out of Dune's specific climate and atmosphere. Lynch captured it much, much better. It is felt from the start to the very end.

Other things, that I don't like about the newer Dune movie:
- The acting in this film is mainly a big mistake, mostly due to the fact, that many characters (including Paul) do not reflect their actual personalities from the book
- This film is simply hollow, and, like I said, it has none of the Dune's climate. It is boring as well.
- Costumes they decided to use in this film are one big tragedy. It seems to be a detail, but when I am forced to watch this parody through entire movie, it ruins the whole. The only costumes, that are not a disaster, are the stillsuits, and maybe Atreides' (and Emperor's) uniforms. All others are merely idiotic. Hawat's costume is ridiculous. Sardaukar? When I saw them, the thing, that came to my mind is "OMFG. What is that supposed to be, Picasso fanclub meeting?". Oh, and the Harkonnen, who look like a parody of Japanese samurai. Let's not forget about the Guild members, who do not only look stupid, but behave so as well, waving idiotically with their hands when speaking.

Lynch's movie is much better, although it misses many facts from the original novel. Those that are most important to the main plot, were shown, though. However, there are few things, that I compain about, as well.
The first one is the general appeareance of the Harkonnen in this movie. They are completely disgusting and horrible. They were, of course, cruel and barbaric in the actual novel, but not obscene.
The second thing is the cat's milk as Hawat's antidote.
The third thing is that strange idea with voice-pistols.

PCD
great film, loved it

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ushgarak
David Lynch was also slightly a victim of the times, I feel. For example, he completely cut out the martial arts 'Weirding Way' of the books and turned it into a sound-based weapon instead, a significant change to the mythology (which he then extended into a plot point of the power of the Atreides army, changing storyline even more). His excuse, apparently, was that he thought it would be rubbish to have kung-fu on sand dunes.

In these post Crouching Tiger days, that logic doesn't look quite so sound (no pun intended...). Oddly enough, though, the whole sound weapon thing has almost been accepted into the mythology; in particular the computer games all used it.

It's odd for me to say this, but I actually liked the "gun" thing for the weirding ways, much better than the martial arts. It's pretty damn cool and would have looked and sounded much better today. I most especially liked the fact that Paul Atreides "evolved" to the point to not have to use the guns to "focus/amp" his powes, anymore. For me, that was just awesome and reall established his character progression.

As for Lynch's film, I had to give it an automatic 9 out of 10 after having seen it. I had not seen it until June, of this year. After seeing it, I thought it was absurdly awesome and regretted not having seen it sooner. I read the books (or rather, had to, in middle school, for grade assignments...up through Heretics of Dune). I liked Lynch's take on the universe better than the original. I would love to see the first 5 books made into a quintology with today's technology and a good sized budget.

However, if a film is made that is very accurate to the original novel, I can't say that it will be bad, at all. It would be hard to rune Dune as it has so much awesome Sci-Fi goodness just seeping from the pages.

inboundcp
OMG! big grin nice movie lol

focus4chumps
i think dune would do far better as a well produced mini-series.

Kazenji
Haven't they already done that?

Robtard
Yes, but I think his emphasis was on "well produced."

Mindset
Children of Dune was well produced, but yea, Dune was kinda meh.

I still like it though.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by dadudemon
read the books (or rather, had to, in middle school, for grade assignments...up through Heretics of Dune).

yeeeeah im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that.

Mindset
Me too, focus4chumps.

Me.

Too.

Robtard
You two clearly went to retard-middle-school.

focus4chumps
a sample, if you will:

so we are to believe that this is part of a 13 year old's required school reading. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Robtard
Hot.

Mindset
You two clearly went to retard-middle-school. I skipped middle school and went to college.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindset
I skipped middle school and went to college.

I didn't realize you were Asian.

Kazenji
A Blasian?

Dolos
Originally posted by Kazenji
A Blasian?

It's difficult to stereotype dick size on those ****ers.

Sadako of Girth
a sample, if you will:

so we are to believe that this is part of a 13 year old's required school reading. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Hmmmmm seems you're right: I dont believe it, also.

Dolos
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

Oh you thank thats bad?

That's Lady Jessica, giving consent...all it is, is Leto giving her a miraculous orgasm.

There are worse things from Prelude to Dune, Lady Helen Mohiam being paralyzed and raped.

focus4chumps
and here i was doing so well at forgetting about brian herbert's existence.

Dolos
Brian Pervert.

Tzeentch._
a sample, if you will:

so we are to believe that this is part of a 13 year old's required school reading. roll eyes (sarcastic) Jesus.

Sex, as described by a nerd.

Dolos
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Jesus.

Sex, as described by a nerd.

laughing out loud

Hey I take offense to that. I'm a nerd, and that's exactly how I would describe my gfs orgasm. If I weren't a nerd and had a gf. sad

focus4chumps
i nominate tommy flanagan as gurney halleck:
http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/Tommy+_b7ca0e09de6b57d8b27208f0c7efac50.jpg

and steve buscemi as either piter de vries or dr. yueh.

Robtard
i nominate tommy flanagan as gurney halleck:

Not bad at all.

Though Picard could probably still pull it off again.

focus4chumps
he was poorly cast. it was written over and over that gurney is not pretty.

Robtard
http://www.jewmalt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/gurney+halleck.gif

Picard is both amused and flattered that you find him pretty.

Dolos
For an EPIC Dune film???

A combination of Ron Fricke and Zach Snyder for cinematography, David Fincher, Frank Miller, Darren Aronofsky, and Terrence Malick as directors, and a miraculous score composed by the combined methods of Philip Glass, Clint Mansell, Michael Stearns and Alexandre Desplat with heavy emphasis on the original film's Director's Cut, at times implementing the Chronos Quartet for that eery scraping scratching of the violins, and utilizing that wind up to the chaos for slower, ominous, forboding parts adapted from Frank Herbet's novel.

I think Elijah Wood would be the best pick for Paul Atreides. He begins as a very small young boy, very much like Elijah Wood in physicality. And for The Beast Rabban!? TOM HARDY!!!

And for his Harkonen Antagonist, the Bane of the Kwisatz Haderach?? Ohhh, tough one. I'll have to think. Feyd Harkonen has to be good looking like a gorgeous boy, but crazy, animalistic, hostile, makes you uneasy. A lean mean machine like Brad Pitt in Fight Club. I just can't think of a better person for Feyd Rautha than Brad Pitt.

Robtard
After you're done paying those 10 people, you'd have about 30-35% of your budget left for your movie. Actors, settings, SFX, crew etc. etc. etc. Also, four directors? Sounds like a conflict in the making. I'd go with Peter Jackson myself.

Tom Hardy would need to bulk and fatten himself out. He might be too old. Overall not a terrible cast though.

Brad Pitt is going on 50, he's way too old to play Feyd. I'd use Charlie Hunnam for Feyd.

Dolos
I'd use Charlie Hunnam for Feyd.

That I'd agree with. thumb up

No, the idea of a director and cinematographer is they have to make their own film themselves. I meant as in one or two of these directors, their style. Obviously the money won't allow 4 major directors. I'd have to do some research, watch some films to choose less of them.

These directors represent the overall direction I'd like from an adaptation, as do the actors, the composers, as well as the cinematrographers, who really put it all into appealing to the senses, which is why I prefer film form over book form in the first place.

David Fincher is definately the one I would pick for Dune first.

Dolos
Here's a more complete list of what I'd want for Dune.

Director: David Fincher (Fight Club, Alien 3)
Screenplay: Terrence Malek (Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line)
Music Composer: Philip Glass (Watchmen, Koyaanisqatsi)
Cinematographer: Ron Fricke (Chronos, Baracka, Samsara)
Film Editor: Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen, Man of Steel)
Art Direction: H.R. Giger (The Alien series)
Stunts Coordinator, Fights Choreographer: Jess Imada (The Bourne Supremecy, The Bourne Ultimatum)

Robtard
Why H.R. Giger for Dune? He's known for his techno-organic style.

Dolos
He's known for his techno-organic style.

Exaclty.

And I meant Jeff Imada for fight coreographer.

Mindset
I can't imagine seeing Elijah Wood fighting like Paul.

He's the size of a little kid.

Dolos
I can't imagine seeing Elijah Wood fighting like Paul.

He's the size of a little kid.

That's the thing. Real life situations don't always go to the stronger or faster person. The thing about Dune is that they rely on superhuman perception, senses, and thinking processes to overcome situations in which they lack strength or speed in a knife fight.

In the book Paul is smaller than Feyd, marginally, by Frank Herbert's description. Yet he wins the battle. That is what makes the Kwisatz Haderach so neat.

In Sin City Elijah's character Kevin is described as a killer born, for Marv, a huge man, he was too quite, too quick.

Mindset
Yes, I've read the book.

Yes, I've seen Sin City.

Midget Elijah as Paul is shit imo.

Dolos
Yes, I've read the book.

Yes, I've seen Sin City.

Midget Elijah as Paul is shit imo.

Why are you telling me this?

You don't like my opinion, and I honestly don't give a shit.

If you haven't already, make your own ****ing list.

Mindset
Originally posted by Dolos
Why are you telling me this?

You don't like my opinion, and I honestly don't give a shit.

If you haven't already, make your own ****ing list. You're the one who started replying to me.

Anyway, this is a discussion board where we discuss our opinions, don't be so butthurt that I disagree with you.

Dolos
Elijah Wood might be better off playing Paul in the beginning, because he does have a chipmunk voice, I actually think it'd be better if they switched actors to, actually Henry Cavill....who I could definately see as an adult Muad'dib.

The problem is, I don't see him as a 15 year-old either. In the original Dune film there was a long time spent narrated, that could be like a "years later" type thing.

Robtard
Exaclty.

I don't recall technology in Dune being techno-organic.

Robtard
Elijah Wood might be better off playing Paul in the beginning, because he does have a chipmunk voice, I actually think it'd be better if they switched actors to, actually Henry Cavill....who I could definately see as an adult Muad'dib.

The problem is, I don't see him as a 15 year-old either. In the original Dune film there was a long time spent narrated, that could be like a "years later" type thing.

Elijah Wood is 32; Henry Cavill is 29.

Dolos
Elijah Wood is 32; Henry Cavill is 29.

Genetics, right?

Robtard
Genetics, right?

What I am saying is, I don't see 32(will be older when they start filming) year old Elijah Wood playing child/young adult Paul Atreides.

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/galleries/3393298_7990/MTO-00357640585.jpg

focus4chumps

Picard is both amused and flattered that you find him pretty.

herp derp etc

vSL0iQ7n6Ww

and speaking of tywin, there is my nomination for emperor shaddam

Dolos
What I am saying is, I don't see 32(will be older when they start filming) year old Elijah Wood playing child/young adult Paul Atreides.

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/galleries/3393298_7990/MTO-00357640585.jpg

Are you Robtarded or something??

You say he can't pass for a 15 year-old, and yet in the picture you choose to provide he looks like a ****ing 15 year old. laughing

Thanks for proving my point. Elijah would play the best inquisitive you Paul Atreides, and Henry Cavill would play the best warrior Emperor Muad'dib.

focus4chumps
yeah and then for sequels when he's supposed to be older he's still look weird man-childish. naa

dadudemon
yeeeeah im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that.

http://www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx

Boy, don't you feel dumb, now. smile

focus4chumps
caught in a lie and all you have is a link proving the book is sold by a book supply store.

tell me, did you have to write a book report including the infamous duncan/honored matre sex duel? (that was, after all, one of the central plot twists of the book) did you have to read in front of the class about murbella's uncontrolled and helplessly abandond gushing of clam lube? when you were 13? lol

dadudemon
caught in a lie and all you have is a link proving the book is sold by a book supply store.

tell me, did you have to write a book report including the infamous duncan/honored matre sex duel? (that was, after all, one of the central plot twists of the book) did you have to read in front of the class about murbella's uncontrolled and helplessly abandond gushing of clam lube? when you were 13? lol

http://i.qkme.me/353nlh.jpg

I think you jumped the gun there, broseph. Review that link one more time. Let me know if the light-bulb comes on.

focus4chumps
you claimed that you "had to" read the books in middle school; not that you chose to.

you clearly were not required to read it.

so, you lied. smile

focus4chumps
I read the books (or rather, had to, in middle school

smile

dadudemon
smile

http://www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx

Boy, don't you feel dumb, now. smile

But, it looks like you're trying to play a word game now that you're troll-fest was destroyed. Too bad...not gonna happen.

focus4chumps
im not disbelieving that you chose to read heretics of dune. i chose to read hustler.

you clearly said you had to. you are the one playing word games to cover up a lie. no middle school would require that book for reading. dance more.

dadudemon
im not disbelieving that you chose to read heretics of dune. i chose to read hustler.

you clearly said you had to. you are the one playing word games to cover up a lie.

You can choose to believe that means I was required to read, specifically, the dune series to try and make a fail point. That's just dumb, however.

I was required to read 100 AR points worth of books. I had no choice or I would fail the literature class in 8th grade.

Now try harder to troll: it's hilarious watching you rage.

focus4chumps
if you stop lying, you wont have anything like this to get mad about. embarrasment but ok lets drop it. you've embarrassed yourself enough.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

Just saw this.

If that's true, then why is it part of the AR Curriculum for which kids can take tests? Why do schools participate in the AR Program and approve them for use? I don't know of any colleges using the AR program.

Why are multiple formerly banned books on the AR Curriculum list? Some of them controversial...

if you stop lying, you wont have anything like this to get mad about. embarrasment but ok lets drop it. you've embarrassed yourself enough.

That's my line: you've thrown a fit because your realize I was right. I read it, as part of required reading, in middle school. I took and passed tests from a highly reputable program used for reading programs in schools.

Deal with it. You were wrong. Move on.

Would you like to call up my middle school teacher to confirm this? I mean, this is the level of trolling you're getting into, now.

Edit - I'm smarter than you: deal with it. smile

Double edit - You're gonna shit yourself when I tell you I read the first 4 books of the Vampire Chronicles in the 7th grade. Again, required reading to pass the class.

Robtard
Are you Robtarded or something??

You say he can't pass for a 15 year-old, and yet in the picture you choose to provide he looks like a ****ing 15 year old. laughing

Thanks for proving my point. Elijah would play the best inquisitive you Paul Atreides, and Henry Cavill would play the best warrior Emperor Muad'dib.

Listen, you made a poor statement due to not fully thinking it out, it's okay, no need to prance about.

While younger looking than his 32 years, Wood doesn't look 15, stop acting like a wounded dunce.

Derp?

focus4chumps
he has a soft round face imho where atreides men are supposed to have some of those "hawk-like features" (see tywin lannister)

there is nothing about elija wood that says "emperor"

Dolos
He could pass for 15, you Robtard. Are you kidding me??? Especially in a movie.

I mean, this dude is 15.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01246/Lewis_1246146c.jpg

Elijah just has that baby face, and while I don't see him maintaining it after he gets wrinkles, his face is still not looking that aged AT ALL. He always looked like a kid.

Scarlet Fox
I dont know about 15. With the Scruff he looks in his late teens. If he cleans up a bit I can see 15 but borderline.

Mindset
So we all agree ddm is a liar.

focus4chumps
embarrasment yeah but i'm sure he's learned his lesson now. lets be nice about it smile

Robtard
He could pass for 15, you Robtard. Are you kidding me??? Especially in a movie.

I mean, this dude is 15.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01246/Lewis_1246146c.jpg

Elijah just has that baby face, and while I don't see him maintaining it after he gets wrinkles, his face is still not looking that aged AT ALL. He always looked like a kid.

No, he could not pass for well under half his age. With shitloads of make up and/or CGI, sure. What's the point of that though then if he's just to play a 15 year old Paul and nothing else later. Just get a decent teen actor to begin with.

That kid looks a lot younger than Eijah Wood.

Stop.

focus4chumps
remember excalibur (80's)? that was imho was a great age transition. i dont need him to look 15. whats important is how he looks as muad'dib, having had a son and turned into the ultimate ninja prescient killing machine (and again looks like a proper atreides).

robtard, whats the big deal about if he's 15 or not? why so forgiving on turning 8-10y/o ender into 15, but so strict for dune?

Robtard
Elijah Wood wouldn't make a good teen or adult Paul. Is ultimately what I am saying.

focus4chumps
as for duncan idaho:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/thumb/e/e1/Jon_HBO.jpg/800px-Jon_HBO.jpg

Mindset
Too young, methinks?

focus4chumps
duncan was kinda young though.

i assume this based on the first ghola kissing a 15 year old alia. (this ghola, like the rest till after god emporer. were all the same age when introduced)

Mindset
I always thought he was around 30.

He was older than Paul, and Paul was a lot older than Alia.

focus4chumps
i dunno. imho duncan has too much honor and game to pursue some 30+ on 15 pedo action

I always thought he was around 30.

He was older than Paul, and Paul was a lot older than Alia.

true enough. alia was likely born when paul was 16, so when alia was 15, paul was over 30.

hmmm duncan was a bit pedo, huh

Mindset
What happens in Arrakis stays in Arrakis.

focus4chumps
ok still pondering this. forgot to figure in that duncan had a 15+ year gap between dying and becoming a ghola, after which was the same age. its possible if not likely that paul was older than duncan in dune messiah

Mindset
If he were older I doubt it was by much.

focus4chumps
also, keep in mind that this is at best still 3-4 years in the distance, so imho he could work. having the black goat hair will at least tell us casting did their homework. i mean really lynch's duncan idaho was an offense and an obscenity.

also keep in mind that duncan is the only character to span the saga, so he should be cast young just in case we hit jackpot and they continue the saga, since he'll need to look the same age all the way through god emporer.

Bashar Teg
finally some news.

http://www.slashfilm.com/legendarys-dune-movie/

Robtard
About time. Now they need to get solid screen writer(s) and director.

Thinking Peter Jackson if they plan on doing several films. Or Guillermo del Toro, though I'd rather have del Toro take on 'At The Mountains of Madness', that needs to get made.

Bashar Teg
legendary tho...i dunno man

their resume reads like a plane crash, imo. flying high on batman begins and TDK, followed by a decade-long nose-dive.

Robtard
Universal too.

The agreement allows Legendary and Universal Pictures to develop film and television projects based on the franchise for a global audience.

carthage
Sounds good to me. I read the books last year and they can only go up from the old eighties film. It should be promising

queeq
Rumour has it Denis Villeneuve might be up for directing Dune. Now, that I'd think would be a very good choice.

But first let's see what he does with Blade Runner.

Master Master
Great movie.

riv6672
Boring books, boring movie.

Hopefully a reboot will be worth watching though.

Putinbot1
Beautiful multi-layered books.

Putinbot1
About time. Now they need to get solid screen writer(s) and director.

Thinking Peter Jackson if they plan on doing several films. Or Guillermo del Toro, though I'd rather have del Toro take on 'At The Mountains of Madness', that needs to get made. Peter Jackson all filler no killer, please no. Frank Darabont might be nice.

Robtard
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Peter Jackson all filler no killer, please no. Frank Darabont might be nice.

That was from 2016 and Denis Villeneuve got it now, so the rumors were true.

But I'm a fan of what Jackson did with LoTR, so I'd have been cool with him.

Bashar Teg
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t653379.html

Putinbot1
That was from 2016 and Denis Villeneuve got it now, so the rumors were true.

But I'm a fan of what Jackson did with LoTR, so I'd have been cool with him. fair enough Rob, for me the animated LoTR is the only LoTR.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.