WaMu becomes biggest bank to fail in US history

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. seized WaMu on Thursday, Sept. 26, 2008 and then sold the thrift's banking assets to JPMorgan Chase & Co. for $1.9 billion.

Seattle-based WaMu, which was founded in 1889, is the largest bank to fail by far in the country's history. Its $307 billion in assets eclipse the $40 billion of Continental Illinois National Bank, which failed in 1984, and the $32 billion of IndyMac, which the government seized in July.

JPMorgan Chase is now the second-largest bank in the United States after Bank of America Corp., which recently bought Merrill Lynch in a flurry of events that included Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. going bankrupt and American International Group Inc., the world's largest insurer, getting taken over by the government.

The seizure by the government means shareholders' equity in WaMu was wiped out.

Its stock price plummeted 95 percent from a 52-week high of $36.47 to its close of $1.69 Thursday. On Wednesday, it suffered a ratings downgrade by Standard & Poor's that put it in danger of collapse.

Amazing. Wow, what if B.O.A. went under. (and that's my bank) I don't think a bailout would help them and investopr assets as well.

FistOfThe North
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080926/ap_on_bi_ge/washington_mutual_future

jaden101
the bailout might not even be happening as planned...the republicans are blocking it (so much for them being the party of big business eh?)

some experts are predicting that they only have the weekend to sort it out because if there is still massive uncertainty by monday then the markets will completely collapse

Admiral Akbar
And so it begins.The bailout isn't helping either. We are just postponing the inevitable.

WrathfulDwarf
This is why I only bank with Wells Fargo or California Union Bank.

botankus
WaMu is my mortgage company. Does this mean I need to seek the highest skyscraper immediately?

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by botankus
WaMu is my mortgage company. Does this mean I need to seek the highest skyscraper immediately?

Your loan will belong to b.o.a. now. Or it's affiliates/subsidiaries. So you should be ok, for now at least.

jaden101

stop paying it until you know who should be getting it

FistOfThe North
i just came back from lunch at there were a couple of college aged kids standing near the train-station, in downtown, and they stopped me to talk about the bailouts. They had homemade floor sings with illustrations and lit they were giving away while asking people to sign stuff on their clip boards. We were talking for a good while.

One of the guys told me how he bailouts will cause the new depression cause it'll all based of money that doesn't even exist. That some guy named LaRouche, whom i've never heard of had the best plan there is, i was told. And that plan was to basically bankrupt the whole economic system so that it can't start fresh and anew. That 700 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to what we really need (to spend) in order to fix the crisis. He asked me to join the LaRouche political action committee and gave me this $25 CD and a $5 for free after i signed up.

I asked the kid what he thinks the effect will be if we collapse. He said prices across the board will rise. Gas'll $10 a gallon, food everything with be almost double what it is. The money shot was that it'll happen this year.

man o man.

chithappens
Seriously, I'm pissed that I'm gettign out of college soon and I'm ****ed because so other idiots screwed up.

That's why people will believe anything right now because they just want someone to give them a reason on how the hell this happened. A few people made some decisions at the top and then it affects me before I even get a real job.

Sigh

FistOfThe North
my bad for the typos. just had rush and to get back to work..

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by jaden101
stop paying it until you know who should be getting it

Everyone in the US should stop paying all bills. That will show them. laughing out loud

lord xyz
I wanna hera Deano's opinion.

WrathfulDwarf

Keep all your receipts with you. Stop using your WaMu card....don't panic. wink

Robtard
Originally posted by lord xyz
I wanna hera Deano's opinion.

This is/was planned by the super-elite, cause confusion and uncertainty, make people desperate so they're more acceptable to being ruled. ie feed a staving man and ensure his obedience. The Lizards are cunning.

jaden101
if anyone is that concerned...go and take all your savings out of your bank and keep it in a bag in your house until the whole thing plays out

it's quite possible the credit market will totally collapse but anyone with any sense saw it coming a mile away...the entire growth in the economy over the last 10 years was based on people getting into more and more debt and spending money they dont have

now the banks credit line is drying up and so they're calling in debts and people cant pay

personally i only have 1 line of debt...my student loan...i have no credit card...no mortgage...and more importantly now...no savings (i liquidated my savings for the time being)

go on people...start a run on the banks and really **** those bastards laughing out loud

FistOfThe North
if anyone is that concerned...go and take all your savings out of your bank and keep it in a bag in your house until the whole thing plays out

it's quite possible the credit market will totally collapse but anyone with any sense saw it coming a mile away...the entire growth in the economy over the last 10 years was based on people getting into more and more debt and spending money they dont have

now the banks credit line is drying up and so they're calling in debts and people cant pay

personally i only have 1 line of debt...my student loan...i have no credit card...no mortgage...and more importantly now...no savings (i liquidated my savings for the time being)

go on people...start a run on the banks and really **** those bastards laughing out loud

Do you think BoA will collapse? They loan mortgages, as well.

And credit is not a bad thing to have. Greed and irresponsibility is. As well all know (good) credit ensures that one would get the best terms and the lowest rates on loans for things like homes, cars, and businesses. It's mismanagement is the culprit.

Bicnarok
Th whole financial system is a house of cards, looks like someone shook the table. smile

jaden101
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Do you think BoA will collapse? They loan mortgages, as well.

And credit is not a bad thing to have. Greed and irresponsibility is. As well all know (good) credit ensures that one would get the best terms and the lowest rates on loans for things like homes, cars, and businesses. It's mismanagement is the culprit.

any bank that isn't a central bank is in danger of collapsing...that mean the US federal reserve...the bank of England...the European central bank...they'll all be safe...everyone else?...time will tell

BackFire
This is why I keep all my money hidden underneath my mattress.

jaden101
along with a stinking dead prostitute

Deja~vu
DEPRESSION LAYING NEXT TO ME WHISPERING... "Leave the country, and do it quick.

Get out of my bed, damn you! crybaby

BackFire
along with a stinking dead prostitute

I use them as currency whenever I can.

Some snobs don't take them, though. Snobs, I say.

jaden101
Originally posted by Deja~vu
DEPRESSION LAYING NEXT TO ME WHISPERING... "Leave the country, and do it quick.

Get out of my bed, damn you! crybaby

yeah...uuuhh...its a global thing...so that probably wont help

chithappens
yeah...uuuhh...its a global thing...so that probably wont help

How the **** can you make money worthless? Just so damn stupid.

I wondered that as a kid...

FistOfThe North
By creating more of it out of thin air.

In other words, in the forms of I.O.U.'s or credit, with the promise of payback.

And when more of those promises are broken than kept, that's how you get a weak dollar value. Which is what's happened now.

Well at least that's one of the ways it happens, in a nutshell.

jaden101
Originally posted by chithappens
How the **** can you make money worthless? Just so damn stupid.

I wondered that as a kid...

that's one of the ways...money is subject to the same market forces as anything else...the more of it there is...the less it's worth...only difference is which way it operates

for example

if there is only 1 copy of a comic book in existence...and lots of people want it....it's worth alot of money....if there's millions of copies...it's worth less

with money its the same only if there's alot it...it's value in relation to goods in less...meaning you get less for your money

so printing money is counter productive because the cost of goods goes up in reaction...meaning each individual note buys you less

the problem now is much more complex though....a mix of speculation by traders meaning doubt is cast onto a bank's stability....the causes the bank's share price to drop and it's ability to borrow decrease...this means it's ability to lend money decreases as well...and this means the average person in the street finds it harder to get credit....meaning they cant get mortgages...which means they spend less on credit cards (cause they cant get them) so the retail sector slows...they cant buy houses to the housing sector collapses

small businessess also cant get credit so they find it difficult to expand so that sector stagnates

then of course you've got the traders short selling...meaning they sell shares they dont actually own in order to drive the share price down so they then buy it cheaper...share price goes up and they make bigger profits....difference is this time they've driven the prices too low in the banking sector and everything is going to shit

then there is all this sub prime mortgage problems...people with poor credit ratings still able to buy houses because they get mortgages at higher interest rates than normal....inflation caused by the high price of oil makes the interest rates go up to the point where they cant afford their monthly mortgage payments

the banks repossess but they cant sell the houses on cause noone can get credit to buy them

so you end up with the banks stuck with a huge amount of money owed to them that they cant recoup...and thus they cant pay back the loans they got from other banks so the banks stop lending to each other...and the whole thing is compounded

WrathfulDwarf
Breaking News...

"Whoo-hoo!" the former slogan of WaMu has been change to "D'oh!"

Stay tuned for further details.

tabby999
Originally posted by BackFire
I use them as currency whenever I can.

Some snobs don't take them, though. Snobs, I say.

Wow, they're like 5c coins over here in Aus, everyones always got heaps they dont need

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.