ROTS Darth Vader & ROTS Obi-Wan vs. Yoda

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sup3rman1521
Which side wins?

Enyalus
All Out? Probably Yoda. 7/10.

Tangible God
Sabers--Team. I see Yoda losing, but he won't go quietly.
Force--Yoda. Duh.
All Out--Yoda. Again, not that easily, though.

Janus Marius
Yoda could own pretty easily. He's ridiculous to pin down with Kenobi's fighting style which relies almost exclusively on defense, and Anakin's too stupid and stubborn to overcome Yoda with his straightforward style. Additionally, Yoda can toss them both like ragdolls using the force, making any force match against him a losing situation for them.

While Obi-Wan and Anakin work well as a team, together they actually hinder each other with Obi having to work offensive and Anakin being too impulsive and confident. Yoda would work them apart and destroy one before destroying the other.

Tangible God
Who would you say he gets first?

Janus Marius
Honestly? Kenobi. Of the two, Kenobi's altering his style to be something he's not - offensive. He did this with Dooku and was handed his ass. Unless Kenobi gets smart and lets Anakin bullrush Yoda while he backed into a corner, he likely gets it first.

Love the avatar, btw.

Tangible God
Thank you, love the dramatic reappearance.

If Yoda turns on Kenobi first, my mind's eye has him wearing down on Obi-Wan while Anakin comes in from behind (or however that plays out in a saber fight). But I'm still having trouble seeing Yoda win out right. What I always wondered in a purely Saber-fight, is Yoda allowed to use the Force to fuel his Ataru?

Janus Marius
I aim for dramatic reappearances; regular ones are so boring.

Yeah, in a saber only fight, the implication is that no lightning/tk/throwing chamber pots/bricks/etc. is used to offset what should be primarily swordplay. But obviously, we can only measure the capabilities of each combatant when they use the Force to aid them with precognition and agility, so you can't divorce those traits from saber combat or you're back to arguing Full Potential Anakin.

Yoda without the Force to fuel his Ataru is completely worthless. But he does have limitations - range, energy levels, and compassion.

It's quite clear-cut that Yoda can't reach as far, and this means he must always press his advantage and get in close or he risks the enemy regrouping, defending, etc. Sometimes being inside of range seems like an advantage, but neither Anakin nor Obi-wan really have issues there.

Energy level is apparent in both of Yoda's fights - he wheezes when he combats Dooku alone, and he likewise loses to Sidious when he's knocked down and out (And apparently opts not to pursue the battle unarmed, of course). If Anakin and Obi-Wan play smart and weave a moving shield, they can potentially wear him out or make him overextend himself, but it won't be easy. Yoda's a master of combat and old enough to spot many tricks aimed his way. Likewise, he's watched them since they both came to the Jedi Temple, so it's not like they're complete enigmas to him. He's mastered their styles before they were born.

Compassion is a tricky one. I know no PIS, but Yoda's not one to go right for the kill. Assuming that there is a pre-existing relationship between the Jedi, Yoda will not be too hard on them, and this may undo him.

Tangible God
Though of course, such compassion could work against Anakin and Kenobi, too. Maybe not Anakin as much, but between Kenobi and Yoda, it was Yoda who was deadset-determined to kill their enemies. But then again, taking emotions into account makes Vs. fights hard.

And I wonder just how much of Anakin and Obi's fighting style Yoda knew as of ROTS. Years of war and experience changes them no doubt from their Padawan days.

Janus Marius
I agree that emotions should be avoided, as they are tricky.

Yoda himself has taught hundreds, potentially over a thousand Jedi or more in the Temple over the years in combat. No doubt war made some changes (Such as Obi's embrace of Sokan) but not enough to make them substantially better than their level of training allows. You can see gaps in their offensive during the Dooku fight scene, and you must admit Dooku is more defensive and slow moving than Yoda.

Tangible God
True. My point is more that Yoda won't be as familar as he once was. Though I hardly think he'd overlook the fact that style changes.

Janus Marius
Most likely, he'd just ninja kick them to death.

Tangible God
Woah. I didn't realize Vader and Yoda were really the same person. This explains why the two are never seen together. Damn that stealthy, agile, and completely inconspicuous ninja.

Janus Marius
The Truth is out there.

And you wondered why Vader had the highest potential?

Tangible God
Little did I realize who Darth Vader really was: Batman.

Gideon
One would think that out of all of the prequel greats, Yoda would be the hardest to fight for someone like Obi-Wan and Anakin; not necessarily due to greater power, but sheer size and speed. Anakin becoming a force of destruction as Dooku would later muse wouldn't be very effective against someone of Yoda's size, yes?

Mizukage Yoda
Originally posted by Janus Marius
Yoda could own pretty easily. He's ridiculous to pin down with Kenobi's fighting style which relies almost exclusively on defense, and Anakin's too stupid and stubborn to overcome Yoda with his straightforward style. Additionally, Yoda can toss them both like ragdolls using the force, making any force match against him a losing situation for them.

While Obi-Wan and Anakin work well as a team, together they actually hinder each other with Obi having to work offensive and Anakin being too impulsive and confident. Yoda would work them apart and destroy one before destroying the other.
Lord Janus? OMG I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy. big grin eek! The banana dancers hail your arrival Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Darth Angel
Yoda takes it all. In the force they aren't really a contest for yoda, in the sabers while they could be a match for him, I am seeing obi wan and anakin more likely to cut each other if they tried to fight the spinning dwarf jedi master. While I think a "in teh zone" anakin could be probably draw with yoda in the saber department, all out yoda's mastery of the force would be decisive.

Janus Marius
Originally posted by Mizukage Yoda
Lord Janus? OMG I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy, I am not worthy. big grin eek! The banana dancers hail your arrival Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Bless you child. You may tell your children of this great moment in history. *Holds out ring to be kissed*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.