Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

deathbycorn
I can't wait to see Burton's vision of the Jabberwocky monster.

MildPossession
Glad Johnny Depp is now 'officially' in it too smile

Some official pictures going around of Alice in the film, and can't wait to see what they do for the stop motion part of the film! Burton and Stop Motion = Fantastic.

Scythe
I wish to know more about this. Alice has been one of my favorite stories ever, and it's been so overused imo but I'm hoping this will be good.

So I'm guessing this will be a movie?

Disturbed Angel
Burton is my favourite director ever; I grew up on his movies. I am always extremely excited when he is working on something new, but Alice In Wonderland is like my second favourite story of all time. I am positively trembling in excitement for this movie. Same happened with Sweeney Todd; I was always interested in the play and the real story. He has such a wonderful talent for making the most artistically morbid beautiful movies, that I simply can't imagine anyone else better for the particular projects he chooses to do. And Ricci, Ryder, Bonham-Carter and Depp are, to me, some of the best actor/actresses he has ever worked with. No wonder they're in so many of his movies.

ragesRemorse
What ever happened to the American Mcgee's Alice in wonderland movie? I know that Wes Craven was, at one time, attached to the project. I think Craven is a shit Director but i think Mcgee's twist on Alice in Wonderland would make for a great movie.

Vinny Valentine

moviebuff1084
I heard about this a long while ago. Sounds great though, I can't wait to see it.

chillmeistergen
Burton can sometimes be great, but I've found some of his stuff to be tainted with needless melodrama. He could either do a very good job, or an appalling one.

I'm of the opinion that Depp would not make a great Mad Hatter, at all - but of course it's a Tim Burton movie, he apparently has to be in it somewhere.

moviebuff1084
As where i think Depp would make a good mad hatter. I think it would come off to much like willy wonka.

MildPossession
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=493815

MildPossession
Helena Bonham Carter has been cast as the Red Queen, and Anne Hathaway has been cast as the White Queen.

Also Michael Sheen, Matt Lucas.

chillmeistergen
I've already expressed my views on this in the other thread, but may as well do so in here as well:

Burton can sometimes be great, but I've found some of his stuff to be tainted with needless melodrama. He could either do a very good job, or an appalling one.

I'm of the opinion that Depp would not make a great Mad Hatter, at all - but of course it's a Tim Burton movie, he apparently has to be in it somewhere.

Robtard
Burton hasn't impressed me in a long time, I'll probably watch it because it's a Burton/Depp thing, but I'm not expecting much.

MildPossession
I think he will be back to his super self with Alice in Wonderland, definitely his kind of thing.

chillmeistergen
What annoys me is him always having to have room for his regular cast. Quite frankly, I've had enough of watching Johnny Depp movies, he's a money grubbing actor who'll take on any role providing the price is right; he also is just not right for the Mad Hatter, all it will be is Jack Sparrow in a top hat.

Robtard
Originally posted by MildPossession
I think he will be back to his super self with Alice in Wonderland, definitely his kind of thing.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was his "thing" too; it was nothing special.

chillmeistergen
It was ****ing horrible, is what it was.

queeq
I look forward to it myself.

ragesRemorse
I agree. I think Burton is a good filmmaker but you either like his work or you don't. I'm very indifferent when it comes to his films. It is a chore for me to watch some of his movie's. Not because they bad but because they can be hard to watch.

Some of his movie's are to over saturated with his artistic design. His artistic design is also very distinctive and sometimes to distinct for it feels like he recycles the same designs for some movie's.

I do feel somewhat confident with him behind the helm on this project. It does seem like a relatively natural fit to combine Burton and Alice in Wonderland. At least we know that we will get at least a moderately mature tone with him Directing.

deathbycorn
The Batman movies, Edward Scissorhands, Bettlejuice, and Sleepy Hollow are the only ones I rate.

Planet of the Apes could of been so cool but it was dreck. The Island of Dr Moreau was better!

Kazenji
Don't you mean "The Island of Doctor Agor" ?

MildPossession
What about Nightmare Before Christmas Deathbycorn, that's a Burton classic even though he didn't direct it, that doesn't matter because it is HIS film anyway smile

Classic and incredible one!

FistOfThe North
this might be the next great memorable movie classic in the way Ed Scissor hands was.

MildPossession
It's mix of mostly stop motion too, and Burton is fab at it.

FistOfThe North
Isnt anne hathaway doing alice in wondrland or somthin' like that?

MildPossession
Yes, I did say a few posts back.

ragesRemorse
I'm sure Burton will give us something good. I'm just thinking it will be to predictable because it is Burton. Although, i did like what he did with charlie and the chocolate factory, other than Wonka's character. I hope it is more of a mixture of beetlejuice and nightmare before christmas.

chillmeistergen
I must be the only person in the world who really doesn't like The Nightmare Before Christmas.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I must be the only person in the world who really doesn't like The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Don't worry, you're not. I'm not a big fan of that movie either.

=Tired Hiker=
I actually had no problems with Planet Of The Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I enjoyed them. However, the Tim Burton films I never really liked, nor bothered to watch more than once were Big Fish, Sleepy Hollow, Mars Attacks, and Ed Wood.

Camden
Should be great seeing how well they did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory together.

Scythe
If this is gonna be stop-motion, the character better not look so retarded. I get it, they have to be creepy, but my god, Corpse Bride had awful, disfigured looking humans...

MildPossession
Ha ha, I remember Jane Horrocks, in an interview about Corpse Bride, mentioning how one character's head looked like a phallus. Forgotten the character name.

I adored Corpse Bride, songs were not up to scratch though for me, not as memorable at all compared to Nightmare Before Christmas.

siriuswriter
I've just read that Alan Rickman will be the hookah-smoking caterpillar, and Christopher Lee is in there somewhere.

YES! That voice for the caterpillar = perfect.

Scythe
Ha ha, I remember Jane Horrocks, in an interview about Corpse Bride, mentioning how one character's head looked like a phallus. Forgotten the character name. Yeah, I think I saw it too. I agreed. The humans were a little acceptable in NBC, however they went overboard imo on their overall looks in Corpse Bride. I really hope this doesn't happen again.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
What ever happened to the American Mcgee's Alice in wonderland movie? I know that Wes Craven was, at one time, attached to the project. I think Craven is a shit Director but i think Mcgee's twist on Alice in Wonderland would make for a great movie.

Man is Burtons movie based on the game?
Shit I was hoping it was based on that.That was a great twist on ALice in WOnderland.

Oh well I guess I can wish,right?

dawsey28
http://images.hollywoodgrind.com:9000/images/2008/11/johnny-depp-as-the-mad-hatter.jpg

Jim Colyer
Do we really need Alice at this point in history?

MildPossession
Explain.

Toku King
It's going to suck. I friggin' hate Tim Burton. Yes, we get it, you're being creepy and gothic. Wow, you've never done that before ever! Amazing! Seriously, why even bother at this point? Just like "Willy Wonka", the classic "Alice In Wonderland" is all that you need.

MildPossession
Anyway...

There was a special video, showing in some Disney meeting, of clips from the film and they caught a glimpse of Depp as the Mad Hatter and apparently are very happy with it. Hope that image leaks online soon, or anyone know of it already.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by deathbycorn
I can't wait to see Burton's vision of the Jabberwocky monster.

another chance to see Burton disgrace a classic.first the batman movies,then planet of the apes,then charlie and the chocolate factory NOW this.why the hell do these hlooywood idiots allow burton near classic material!!! mad His best work is when he does his own stuff such as edward scissorhands.keep him the hell away from classics. mad

MildPossession
Burton didn't touch Willy Wonka the movie, he made his film from the book. So it's not a remake of the original movie. As for the Batman films, I think you are in a minority on that one.

He is doing what he does best, Alice in Wonderland is the sort of surreal area where he is absolutely a genius in, mixing in his inventive stop motion too, I see no problem.

Mr Parker
Not from what I have experienced am I in the minority on those disgraceful Batman movies.I remember when that movie first came out.I was still in junior high,I was so pissed about that movie,that EVERYBODY I came into contact with in classes,I bitched about it with them,teachers,EVERYBODY,most of the people in my school pretty much hated as much as i did.just about everywhere I go,when I do bring it up anymore,most people I run into,say they were glad batman begins was made as well cause they hated batman 89 so much.

MildPossession
Humm, everyone I talk to liked it, it was Forever and Batman + Robin that got the negative remarks.

siriuswriter
Anyway...

There was a special video, showing in some Disney meeting, of clips from the film and they caught a glimpse of Depp as the Mad Hatter and apparently are very happy with it. Hope that image leaks online soon, or anyone know of it already.

Actually you can find the picture of depp-as-mad hatter pretty damn easily. go to it's imdb page, click pictures... and yes! it's so beautiful, he looks as a painting. and using a search engine or youtube to find the special video.

ETA : OR you could just click here : Depp as Hatter

aaaaand fan-made trailer using real set pictures with alice at various sets, the lady with the baby, and such

AND. this movie is not being made from the disney cartoon or the alice in wonderland game. it's inspiration is from the original books by lewis carroll, who actually wrote two "alice books," "through the looking glass," and "alice in wonderland," which includes the red and white queens, the jabberwocky, and more.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Not from what I have experienced am I in the minority on those disgraceful Batman movies.I remember when that movie first came out.I was still in junior high,I was so pissed about that movie,that EVERYBODY I came into contact with in classes,I bitched about it with them,teachers,EVERYBODY,most of the people in my school pretty much hated as much as i did.just about everywhere I go,when I do bring it up anymore,most people I run into,say they were glad batman begins was made as well cause they hated batman 89 so much.

sorry to double-post, all.

mr parker, i think you've made it very clear that you don't think this movie should be made. .... about five, six times? we all read the thread, we're all getting your opinion. perhaps you should start popping into other threads that do not yet carry your mark of approval/disapproval?

MildPossession
According to the people who saw the video, the Depp character in the video is apparently different to that old picture of him.

CATMANEXE
christ i love Burton. ive got so much NBC swag its sick.
this is the first i heard of this. thanks. ill keep in touch.

heard Depp is rumored to play Riddler in the next Batman as well.

MildPossession
I'm a Nightmare Before Christmas collector too, last thing I got was an umbrella. smile

Paola
I can't wait to see this!

Depp, Burton. Love one, worship the other. *sigh*

Jovan
I'm very much looking forward to this one!!

Ziglet127
It'll probally be excellent. Most of Burton and Depp's work is. Also. To Mr. Parker.. You're a moron. the '89 Batman is one of the most critically aclaimed movies of all time. Jack Nichlson's role as the Joker is a role that to this day is still considered in his top five performances of all time. People still look up to this role to this day for inspiration and to watch an amazing actor do what he does best. Also, Charlie and the Choclate Factory was not a remake, Burton took the book's interpratation and made it his own with a few small alterations. So next time you decide to complain about someone similar to Tim Burton, pick somebody who actually DOES suck at making movies.

Prince Nauj
new pictures from the movie

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=56475

Prince Nauj
another link

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/need-to-know-alice-in-wonderland.html

MildPossession
The only negative for me there is Anne Hathaway, for some reason she looks like the odd one out and doesn't fit. Everything else looks amazing, looks like an extremely freaky totally Burton film, can't wait.

Prince Nauj
I really want to see how the Cheshire Cat looks.

MildPossession
I adore him from the original animation, be wonderful to see what he is like in this follow on.

siriuswriter
oh my godfather part one.

these are brilliant. love how the title is in the 'nightmare before christmas' font. johnny depp looks like someone expertly splashed all different colors of paint on him.

anne hathaway... yeah, she looks like some weird version of Galadriel, but those dark eyes and eyebrows change the point of view VERY quickly. it's kind of like sweeny todd, but not. well, it's the burton black v. white trademark, anyway.

need to see movie now, thank you come again.

ETA : STEPHEN FRY AS THE CHESHIRE CAT???!!?!?!

siriuswriter
wow, sometimes i'm really dumb with computers. please delete me?

a-k-a-amber
I can't wait to see the flower garden, I've not read the original books so I'm not sure they're in it but for some reason that was always my favorite part. Haha making fun of Alice's 'petals'.

I love Depp and Burton collaborations honestly, but (unless I'm wrong, I haven't read the books) Hatter isn't in a large part of the movie anyway right?

The only thing I didn't much care for from the pictures was the red queen having a giant head. I think that'll freak me out a little bit in theatres.

Prince Nauj
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=56868

It talks about t he new pictures featured in the new vanity fair august issue.

Prince Nauj
the new teaser trailer is up on ign.com

It looks good. Thoughts?

MildPossession
Is it? I can't find it. Plus it is apparently suppose to be shown for the first time tomorrow...

An actual link to it would be nice.

Quincy
I'm not a fan of the makeup on The Mad Hatter.

Prince Nauj
Is it? I can't find it. Plus it is apparently suppose to be shown for the first time tomorrow...

An actual link to it would be nice.
Well it was on youtube but they took it off. Go to perezhilton thats where I saw it

MildPossession
Do I have to go to that morons page? stick out tongue

It's okay, I didn't have to, I found it on a youtube link:

http://www.erickwithnok.com/post/146940233/tim-burtons-alice-in-wonderland-official-teaser

Johnny Depp is soooooo right for the part.

Prince Nauj
LMAO!!

Captain REX
I'll admit I was more excited when I thought it was all going to be done in stop-motion. Would've fit way better...

Quincy
How much is Tim Burton planning on changing for the story?

If the Mad Hatter's part gets expanded simply because it's Depp, I'll be pissed.

MildPossession
It's a follow on film right, 10 years later? so it wouldn't make a difference if he gets a bigger part than the role in the Disney Animation?

Quincy
Oh it takes place 10 years later?

Ah that kinda takes away from it for me. The book is so epically strange, Tim Burton would have done well with the source material.

Steak Knife
Looks decent.

Mr. Rhythmic
Do I have to go to that morons page? stick out tongue

It's okay, I didn't have to, I found it on a youtube link:

http://www.erickwithnok.com/post/146940233/tim-burtons-alice-in-wonderland-official-teaser

Johnny Depp is soooooo right for the part.

God damn it. That looks so atrocious.

MildPossession
For some reason, the musical Mary Poppins came into my head when I read your reply...

coolmovies
I seen the trailer looks great

siriuswriter
i'm just wondering - who has read "into the looking glass"? because "alice in wonderland" was actually a sequel and disney mishmashed the two together in their animated version with the purple and pink striped cheshire cat, and all.

this movie is all 'alice and wonderland' so some things will be familiar and some things will not be familiar.
and then tim burton. who will stick to canon but add another dimension of amazing-ness because he's allowed to do that.

so i'm basically not going in with any expectations at all, except that i know all these completely genius actors are in it and a completely genious director is on it.

so i guess my advice would be to not say how the whole thing's going to be just from that trailer. a: teaser trailed b: completely different from any mainstream "alice in wonderland".

okay.big grin

Prince Nauj
well Ive never read the books but I want to. I just need to finish some books im currently reading.

Impediment
I'm not surprised that Burton has twisted the story around just to give Depp the lead role as the Hatter. This looks kinds stupid, if you ask me.

I need to look into this further before I make my final decision.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
need to watch this. Johnny's awesome in general imho, but of course, i still need to see how they made the movie to see how it all works out.

....burton's a Johnny fanboy. listen to his movie commentaries and stuff - cn't stop talking about depp.

Scythe
I'm looking forward to this film. Finally a film Burton can sink his artfag fangs into and give it a creepy visual overhaul. Unlike the Batman films which should have been done in the same style he did, but just not so much over the top. Both Batman and Batman Returns had their unique qualities, but the casting wasn't so great and Burton's style grows old after awhile.

edwinian
I'm excited for it and love the fact that it looks like they gave Burton free range creativity wise. It's got an excellent whimsical and fantasy feel to it. IMHO Tim Burton is a heck of a storyteller, so this one should be a lot of fun to watch.

teamB_macro
a depp-burton project will always be "different." wonder if they'll do through the looking glass then?

lord xyz
Burton + Keaton + Elfman + Rickman.

Yay! smile

edwinian
Yup, cast for this is superb! I'll add Christopher Lee as The Jabberwock and Anne Hathaway as The White Queen. I feel like whoever Burton wanted for this, he was going to get. If he said he was doing Alice In Wonderland, I don't know how you say no to that.

edwinian
I just wanted to bump this thread, a new trailer was released online this week. Has everyone seen it? I saw it poster here , on the sites official page. It looks incredible creative, and really colorful. This one will be a really entertaining one when it's released in March.

Shey Tapani
Carter is going to be good as Queen this is the second time he plays that role.

edwinian
Yea Helena Bonham Carter is going to be great playing The Red Queen. I feel like she is great when playing some sort of evil role. Have you all seen the new trailer for the film? My favorite line is when he asks for a big to rest her feet on, and then says, "I love a warm pig to rest my feet on."

Shey Tapani
I only watched the Hallmark version, i bet this is going to be better.

edwinian
Not to take anything away from the Hallmark versions, but I agree with you. I think this version is going to be much better. I'm sure the studio gave Burton plenty of creative freedom on this one, so hopefully it should be pretty entertaining.

edwinian
Wanted to share these cool images with you guys... the film's official Facebook page has a bunch of new character images, as well as some cool images of showing how all the CGI layers were added. I think the one below is my favorite. It's the Red Queen interacting with some frogs.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs217.snc3/22470_276989166589_100524516589_3215033_2368012_n.jpg

maham
I remember Alice in wonderland being the first animated feature film I watched.I got it as a gift on my birthday big grin hopefully,Tim burton wouldn't disappoint us on this.

Blinky
Am I the only one that thinks Johnny Deep looks absolutely ridiculous as the Mat Hatter? So f*cking lame, what a grand way to ruin a totally classic character.

DoubleDutch5
Originally posted by Blinky
Am I the only one that thinks Johnny Deep looks absolutely ridiculous as the Mat Hatter? So f*cking lame, what a grand way to ruin a totally classic character.

I think his look is a bit over the top. There was a much better picture of Depp's Hatter posted a while back where the colors of the Hatter's clothes and makeup were much more "muted" and subdued- everything about him had a darker tone. But the posters you see of him now have the Hatter looking extremely bright and 'neon'. I think they should have kept to the original colors.

chiaki
Hatter is a bit, over the top. But that is Burtons thing. He does really dark colors or really bright colors.

I'm excited. It'll be awesome!

edwinian
Originally posted by chiaki
Hatter is a bit, over the top. But that is Burtons thing. He does really dark colors or really bright colors.

I'm excited. It'll be awesome!

Agree! It's Burton's thing to make over the top eccentric characters, and I feel like Depp loves and is great at playing those types of people. I feel like it's pretty much guaranteed that he will shine in this. I'm interested to see how newcomer Mia Wasikowska is going to do as Alice.

MildPossession
Looks like we are not getting it in cinemas here in the UK, well not one of the biggest cinema chains here. Odeon are boycotting the film and not showing the 3D Alice in Wonderland because the idiots don't like how Disney have reduced the time that it shows in cinema before a dvd release.

****s.

MildPossession
They caved, we are getting it in cinemas now. smile

Myth
They caved, we are getting it in cinemas now. smile

That was fast laughing

Btw, I love the idea of movies having short stays in theaters. There are many movies I want to see, but not willing to fork over $10 to do so, so I'm cool with the speedy releases. Though, AiW is probably not one I plan on seeing in theaters or renting.

emoboy13
i dont like it its not dark enough its too happy thats why i dont like childrens books theres no agony

edwinian
I'm interested to see what Burton does with the classic tale, obviously it's not a remake, it's more of a sequel, but I'm excited to see how he handles the characters. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Wonderland looks very similar to Pandora, which is awesome to hear.

Ms.Marvel
movie looks like shit imo... looks like a definite... watch on the disney channel three years from now no expression

meep-meep
In my personal, and very brief, opinion is that people seem pretty excited about this remake. It will probably be a fairly good flick but I cant disguise the fact that I am getting very, very tired of Burtons' same old cast. Now if it were Larry, Moe and Curly it would be okay.

But really, H. Carter needs to stop sucking on Burtons' biddy.

The movie will probably be good though...and I'll wait till my girl asks to rent it before I see it.

BackFire
Burton is crap these days. Overly stylized nonsense. Everything in his movies now are either black or neon. Catered for 14 year old goth wannabes.

MildPossession
Tim Burton seems to be the person who is cool to hate now. stick out tongue

Also, if he keeps using the same people, who cares. As long as they can act, what does it matter, you are there to watch the character, not the real life actor or actress.

Blinky
Originally posted by BackFire
Burton is crap these days. Overly stylized nonsense. Everything in his movies now are either black or neon. Catered for 14 year old goth wannabes.

^ very true and concise.

Alpha Centauri
It seems that if you like Burton he's rarely disappoint because his movies are samey.

Otherwise, I suppose it's going to get annoying.

-AC

Bardock42
I like some Tim Burton movies, I did however like Alice in Wonderland, so I guess I will check this out. I assume it will disappoint though.

BruceSkywalker
i will not be seeing this

edwinian
A friend of mine saw it this weekend and she really liked it! Said that it looked incredible and she was mesmerized by the picture quality. Also, she thought that it flew by and didn't drag at parts, like Avatar did. She said Johnny Depp and Anne Hathaway were great. Did anyone see it? I saw it made $116 million at the box office.

Impediment
I just watched Burton's Alice in Wonderland at the theater with my wife & kid.

It was decent, to say the least. The CGI was gorgeous, and the movie never seemed to drag or lull at times. Still, I didn't like how the Hatter and most of the other characters were "Burton-ized".

And, of course, there was the obligatory cameo by Christopher Lee.

My daughter is in her room right now watching Disney's Alice in Wonderland. She absolutley hated Burton's film! laughing out loud

edwinian
I definitely agree that the CGI was very impressive... so colorful! And also loved that it never dragged. What did you think of the new Mia Wasikowska as Alice? I thought she did a nice job, and I will definitely be following her career, I expect big things for her following this.

meep-meep
Unless I'm forced to, I'll wait till its on cable. I've just been getting a bit annoyed with Johnny Depp, really. That's what I guess it comes down to. That and the ultra publicity every Burton film gets. Put those two together and it becomes just too much. Very annoying. Kind of how I feel about avatar.

Impediment
A friend of mine recently hit the proverbial "nail on the head" when he stated that "Johnny Depp is in danger of becoming what Christopher Walken is; the same in every movie. He can go from Jack Sparrow to The Hatter and yet, he's still not much different underneath it all."

Kazenji
Originally posted by Impediment
A friend of mine recently hit the proverbial "nail on the head" when he stated that "Johnny Depp is in danger of becoming what Christopher Walken is; the same in every movie. He can go from Jack Sparrow to The Hatter and yet, he's still not much different underneath it all."

Well he did play John Dillinger in Public Enemies was'nt exactly quirky like his other roles.

. Hitosu Moriko
(reported)

NemeBro
... When did Alice in Wonderland become Narnia?

Because that is what the previews scream to me.

SnakeEyes
I wasn't planning on seeing this, but I got a chance to see this for free (in IMAX 3D). Anyway, my gut feeling that kept telling me I wouldn't like this movie was right. I didn't like it. Nothing was memorable, it wasn't that funny or entertaining, it brought nothing new to the screen, for something that should've been breezy it dragged, and as I walked out of the theater I was already forgetting the movie.

Kazenji
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
and as I walked out of the theater I was already forgetting the movie.

Same here.

omgchos
At least im not alone in not liking this move big grin

edwinian
I thought Johnny Depp was awesome in the film. I mean he is playing The MAD Hatter, so he's supposed to be acting crazy. He definitely gives that "out there" vibe through out the film, and I love that dance he does at the end!

What did you all think of the Cheshire Cat? He was my definitely my favorite character, the way he talked and moved through out Wonderland.

TxG
everything about the film was just brilliant down to the characters the whole scenery and feel of the film. Also what I loved about it was it wasn't cliche meaning they didn't redo the original story to it, but it was a follow on from that where Alice revisits wonderland a little older it was just clevely done.

SnakeEyes
"Everything was brilliant"? I wish I saw the same movie as you.

Mr. Rhythmic
Just saw it. There's not much to really say about the film besides 'meh'. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't very good, either. The visuals were great and the acting was ok for the most part (despite my dislike of Depp's extremely awkward performance), but the story was lacking, the pace was poor, and the character development was limited to the point where I didn't actually care for any of the characters, nor did they seem as wacky and insane as you'd expect.
One issue I have with this movie is the fact that it pretty much hits you over the head with the thought that this is the classic and ever popular Wonderland world and story, and yet it doesn't feel or act anything like the books or the classic Disney movie. I mean, I'm all for a new take on a classic story, but not when they try to connect the two worlds as much as they did here.
Like I said earlier, however, I did like the special effects, the Jabbawocky was a neat creature, and the Red Queen was entertaining. Also, the ending back in the real world was very good and a great way to wrap up Alice's character.

I give the film a 2.5/5, or a 5/10. It's not necessarily bad, but it's not something to rush out into theaters for.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by edwinian
I thought Johnny Depp was awesome in the film. I mean he is playing The MAD Hatter, so he's supposed to be acting crazy. He definitely gives that "out there" vibe through out the film, and I love that dance he does at the end!

His craziness didn't feel organic to me, and his character felt shoved into the main plot because it's Johnny Depp. I didn't see the Mad Hatter as much as I saw the "Forcefully-Wacky" Hatter.

I thought the Chesire Cat was cool. His character was more entertaining than most. I kind of miss the concept of only Alice seeing him, though, but that doesn't change the fun he brought to the screen.

edwinian
I thought Depp was really good as The Mad Hatter, he seemed to play "crazy" very well and it seems like once he puts on that costume and make-up he really transports himself to another character.

For anyone who was impressed by the CGI Wonderland, Yahoo! posted a great video today of how all they filmed everything on green screen and than added computer layers on top of that. Pretty interesting stuff.

jinXed by JaNx
I was going to go see this on Friday but from the reviews i'm reading here i think i'll go see, Shutter Island instead.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I was going to go see this on Friday but from the reviews i'm reading here i think i'll go see, Shutter Island instead.

Shutter Island is SO much better - aka actually worth seeing.

RQTBallGirl
Just got home from taking my kids to see this...they loved it. Take that for what it is worth, they are between 8-12. wink

Mr Parker
just saw this movie.awesome fiim.One of Tim Burtons best.This is one of those rare times where pervert Tim Burton touched some classic material and did not disgrace it.He usually is so perverted his movies are extremely gory and gross thats why I knew Sweeney Todd would be the perfect vehicle for him when he made that film cause it was right up his alley.lol.I knew that was one he could not screw up.

Great to see he did not screw this one up either like he normally does with classic material.Great special effects and great storyline.was amazing seeing it in 3d.The only thing that worrys me is will it be as amazing and fun to watch in regular tv mode when it gets released.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by RQTBallGirl
Just got home from taking my kids to see this...they loved it. Take that for what it is worth, they are between 8-12. wink

for once,Tim Burton made a movie that kids can enjoy as well leaving out gross inappropriate stuff that is usually almost always in all his films.

edwinian
Agreed, he definitely focused on the fantasy aspect of this, as well as using his wild imagination to create a place that was appropriate for people of all ages. That's what is nice about this film, both kids and adults can be impressed by all the colors, as well all the crazy creatures and characters.

AsbestosFlaygon
One of the better films I've watched recently.

The film is mediocre at best, but still worth watching.

Loved Burton's rendition of "Through the Looking-Glass". He added his own material but still maintained the original plot.

edwinian
I sort of feel like this is a must see in theaters, mainly because the of the visual aspect. Don't get me wrong, it will still be an enjoyable film on DVD, but to see Wonderland in 3D is definitely something special.

SnakeEyes
The movie sucked, which I stated already - but even the 3D was lackluster. I'm pretty sure any movie that isn't actually filmed with 3D in mind isn't going to have quality 3D. Most films in the near future are going to be using it very much as part of the current trend/as a gimmick (Clash of the Titans, ahem) due to the success of Avatar. So yeah... Alice was lackluster pretty much in every way possible.

edwinian
I feel like Burton knew from the start that this was going to be in 3D and that's how he wanted it. He figured that having Wonderland be in 3D would only help give it that fun fantasy land feel.

SnakeEyes
I don't think he succeeded.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by edwinian
I sort of feel like this is a must see in theaters, mainly because the of the visual aspect. Don't get me wrong, it will still be an enjoyable film on DVD, but to see Wonderland in 3D is definitely something special.

yeah I agree.I also agree with your last post as well.

allofyousuckkk
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Just saw it. There's not much to really say about the film besides 'meh'. I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't very good, either. The visuals were great and the acting was ok for the most part (despite my dislike of Depp's extremely awkward performance), but the story was lacking, the pace was poor, and the character development was limited to the point where I didn't actually care for any of the characters, nor did they seem as wacky and insane as you'd expect.
One issue I have with this movie is the fact that it pretty much hits you over the head with the thought that this is the classic and ever popular Wonderland world and story, and yet it doesn't feel or act anything like the books or the classic Disney movie. I mean, I'm all for a new take on a classic story, but not when they try to connect the two worlds as much as they did here.
Like I said earlier, however, I did like the special effects, the Jabbawocky was a neat creature, and the Red Queen was entertaining. Also, the ending back in the real world was very good and a great way to wrap up Alice's character.

I give the film a 2.5/5, or a 5/10. It's not necessarily bad, but it's not something to rush out into theaters for.

I couldn't agree more. I was expecting something like Burton's "Chocolate Factory" movie, with bright colors and wacky characters. All of the characters in Alice seemed to be just acting crazy, whereas in the story and Disney movie, they are. "Wonderland" wasn't "Wonderland" at all. It was just a dark, scary world with nothing exciting in it.

edwinian
I thought Wonderland was really exciting and was filled with incredible color and characters and creatures we've never seen before. It was the perfect backdrop for a place with a Queen with a huge head and a Mad Hatter.

edwinian
For anyone who was a big fan of the ladies of Alice In Wonderland there is a pretty cool featurette that has interviews with all of the women characters from the film.

K.Diddy
beer Seen this at the cinema with my girlfriend, Too much cgi,the 3d was crap,and just couldn't get into this movie, I was extremely dissapointed

One Free Man
THIS WAS LAEM.

They painted jack sparrow pink. Seriously. It was the same character as in POTC only without the witty quips.

jhonatancas
I cant wait to watch Jabberwocky aether, even though i thought the name of this movie should have been "Alice The Return to Wonderland" or something like that

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Mr Parker
just saw this movie.awesome fiim.One of Tim Burtons best.This is one of those rare times where pervert Tim Burton touched some classic material and did not disgrace it.He usually is so perverted his movies are extremely gory and gross thats why I knew Sweeney Todd would be the perfect vehicle for him when he made that film cause it was right up his alley.lol.I knew that was one he could not screw up.

Great to see he did not screw this one up either like he normally does with classic material.Great special effects and great storyline.was amazing seeing it in 3d.The only thing that worrys me is will it be as amazing and fun to watch in regular tv mode when it gets released.

I just saw this movie a SECOND time and I just got to say this again.This movie was awesome.Like I said,I was expecting it to be a mjor dissapointment because normally Tim Burton fu cks up wth proven material and royally screws it up like he did with batman.THIS time however,he made a masterpiece.Just hope its as great when it comes out and its NOT on 3d.that concerns me.

SnakeEyes
"Masterpiece"? More like masterSHIT.

Mr. Rhythmic
"Masterpiece"? More like masterSHIT.

Ok, I wasn't a fan of it either, but seriously, calm down. We get it. You don't like the movie. But they can like it if they want. It seems like every time someone writes 'it was good' you make an annoying 'it sucked' comment that doesn't actually lead up your argument.

SnakeEyes
But... but... this movie sucked...

roughrider
It's not that great...but not terrible, either.
It's just, there. erm

Mr. Rhythmic
But... but... this movie sucked...

Yeah, you mentioned that.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>