Mexican comic-book character called racist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
Any thoughts?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/07/09/mexican.comic/

Blinky
What's the big deal? I am glad that black people in Mexico are not so sensitive.

Davehead
Psh! Yet another attempt to make everybody talk, look, act, and even draw the same. Dennis the menace had black dots for eyes, and therefore is mocking the round eyes of the caucasian community. I've seen white people for REAL whom I couldn't tell apart from monkeys.

Bicnarok

Darth Vicious
I think its plain stupid. That character has been around for a long time and now they are making a big deal out of it.

chithappens
I'm still alive and kicking with food, shelter and clothing on a consistent basis. I could care less.

Phantom Zone
What? Is that it?

Robtard
He does resemble many of the Jim Crow era cartoons that were drawn to belittle blacks, just saying.

Dataflux
The first thing I thought when I saw was oh wow, that's blackface.

It does very much look like a ridicule of black people.

However, I have never ehard of this character before I read this post so I don't know what's going on.

I remember when they made a big deal out of Speedy Gonzalez.

jaden101
so...the character is actually cuban/mexican...and still the african-americans are moaning that it's racist towards them

do they ever stop trying to play the race card...the new resident evil....now this crap...

it's probably more to do with some idiot public figure trying to get some coverage on the news in order to fleece some more "donations" to whatever cause he/she's touting

=Tired Hiker=
I find this offensive toward monkeys.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Robtard
He does resemble many of the Jim Crow era cartoons that were drawn to belittle blacks, just saying. And if it was an American creation, that argument would have some weight...but its not.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Stoic
Any thoughts?

I don't take people called Quannel X seriously, and choose to oppose this on principle as well as on how stupid the complaint is. Still, I do see where they see a problem.

Robtard
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
And if it was an American creation, that argument would have some weight...but its not.

I'm fairly certain the problem arose when the image was sold in America.

Devil King
If you guys have noticed, the writer is a man and then goes on to mention his boyfriend as a reference for his position. As with many of these things, there is a measure of justification and over-reaction to it. This character has been around for an awfully long time, but so has Batman. In American culture, characters like this one have been phased out. But this is not American culture. So, if the citizens of that country so choose, this character will loose pupularity. American public opinion should have no effect on the situation. No one has stoppped the Netherlands from having an abusive version of Santa Claus that has Spanish origins and black slaves. The culture of that country is up to them and the transition from coloured mascot can be just as obvious as those Santa-Slaves becoming "friends" of Santa in those countries. Maybe the bigger question should be that all cultures engage in this kind of almost biblical nonsense and cultural defining absurdity In Mexico, they have black-faced comic heores. In America we used to have Archie and Veroica and Richie Rich. We overcame them, as well as anything that came with them. Should Mexico be robbed of the chance to actually progress from that point, or should we risk taking that process from them because of global opinion, rather than hoping they make that progress on own own terms?

GCG
Shawnedria McGinty <- She is a shit stirrer. She is trying to get the legal ball rolling to get some cash if the artist get sued.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Robtard
I'm fairly certain the problem arose when the image was sold in America.

And I'm pretty sure the image/comic book was from Mexico. Your point? You can't bring up the American past as an argument against the image or for taking it off the market in Mexico. I'm not saying you were specifically stating that, just saying...

GCG
I think he is stating the fact that a liberal country can oil its legal quanders. Way back then, Mr. Quimby from Tom & Jerry took the piss out of the niggas & others took thew piss out of the mexicans.

I cant argue this nor do i wanna debate it on it as i am hardly ever here.

Point is that the laws were not there; today they are and there are a lot of sharks who wanna take advantage of them. The USA, being more aquanted with the laws they created, has obviosly, more people aware of the laws that can potentailly generate a jackpot lawsuit.

What are your views and comments, my dark, SW, fan?

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by GCG
Point is that the laws were not there; today they are and there are a lot of sharks who wanna take advantage of them. The USA, being more aquanted with the laws they created, has obviosly, more people aware of the laws that can potentailly generate a jackpot lawsuit. Well, that very well may be; although, your thoughts are sort of convoluted, so I might not be getting your message correct. Either way, I've never met or even heard of this woman who complained, so I can neither say she is or isn't trying to get a quick penny out of this from a law suit.

Ironically, I actually don't like Star Wars more than any other normal, everyday person. I just created the "Darth" part because I saw everyone else had it, and I wanted to be cool.

Dataflux
In America we still have Batman and Archie comics. The movie Dark Knight, an adaption of Batman comics, made over three hundred million dollars and millions of Archie comics are sold every month as well as Batman comics.

However I do not see anything overtly racists in Batman comics or Archie comics, and people will always read what they want into such things.

And why should America have to overcome these things? They're just entertainment, nothing more. I'd bet that some people would be completely happy if America was completely sterilized and robotic. I'm not one of those people.

Now if the argument was that we'd overcome truly racist comics, then there'd be a point, but to say America has overcome the "comic book problem" is just ludicrous.

TKM
So what are my thoughts you say?

Well, I have seen so many characters(even in Disney movies) that depict a certain race or gender or something like that in an insulting way, but it's not taken so serious because half of the time it's not even noticed. When things like this are noticed, all hell breaks loose; always on the 'race' subject. These people who find it offensive are quick to act before they think things through like:

Do I look like that?

Does the whole race look like that?

Then again if it was stereotyping I'd see that as some what offensive but stereotypes aren't always right. A lot of the time the people who stereotype see the whole race as so but obvious the author wasn't insulting the race.

Besides not all the characters are meant to have stunning appearances anyways. There has to be some ugly ones and I've seen some; in comics and cartoons; in more than just the black race.

But if you wanna fight it you must have some belief that you look like that otherwise why is it so insulting?

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Stoic
Any thoughts?

Memin is one of Mexico's most iconic comic book characters. He is among "Kaliman" and "Condoito". This isn't the first time Memin has been exposed to criticism. Couple of years ago the Mexican government issue a new stamp celebrating the character anniversary and was not very welcome by many.

The problem here is that Mexicans can't complain about stereotyping. If their culture has no problems leaving Memin the way he is....then by all means Mexicans should NOT complain or feel insulted with characters like "Speedy Gonzales" appear on TV.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.